KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-04 19:09:04 Reply

Aww, if Samulis wasn't a judge, he would at least make into 2nd place. @All of you are no match to him.

SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-04 19:43:26 Reply

This is gona be interesting indeed!

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-04 20:55:31 Reply

At 3/4/14 07:09 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Aww, if Samulis wasn't a judge, he would at least make into 2nd place. @All of you are no match to him.

Samulis is really talented, and there were also many other talented musicians last year that could come up against each other very well, it was hard to decide really. I have a feeling this year will be the same as well, and Samulis is right up there with them, talented guy :).

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-05 05:42:43 Reply

At 3/4/14 05:51 PM, Bosa wrote:
At 3/4/14 03:49 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: @ PeterSatera @Bosa

You're both good, now shuddup and date already!
His standards are too high.

lol!

Just wait until you hear about my secret weapon!

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-05 05:54:13 Reply

At 3/5/14 05:42 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 3/4/14 05:51 PM, Bosa wrote:
At 3/4/14 03:49 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: @ PeterSatera @Bosa

You're both good, now shuddup and date already!
His standards are too high.
lol!

Just wait until you hear about my secret weapon!

That put a funny thought in my head.

A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-05 06:21:02 Reply

At 3/5/14 05:54 AM, RealFaction wrote: That put a funny thought in my head.

Not to add gas to the fire but...

A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread

BBS Signature
JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-05 07:53:46 Reply

At 3/5/14 05:42 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Just wait until you hear about my secret weapon!

PROVIGIL. Knew it.
The contest rules don't mention neuroenhancers, so I guess you're in the clear.

JosephAS1
JosephAS1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-05 12:02:59 Reply

At 3/2/14 07:17 PM, RealFaction wrote: Here's the discussion thread where you can talk about the 2014 Art-Inspired Music (A.I.M.) Contest and ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The contest starts Sunday, March 9th.

Can't wait :P

Plinkydinkydonk

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-05 17:29:26 Reply

Oh man, it feels like forever ago when I finished up Cold Outpost. This time around I'm coming in even stronger.

Let's do this.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-06 08:36:01 Reply

Welp...I hope I get somewhere close to where I got last time.

*nervous grimace*

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-06 09:29:37 Reply

At 3/5/14 07:53 AM, JacobCadmus wrote:
At 3/5/14 05:42 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Just wait until you hear about my secret weapon!
PROVIGIL. Knew it.
The contest rules don't mention neuroenhancers, so I guess you're in the clear.

Im on that drug the Lawnmower man was on. And on another note, zipzipper's here....shit just got real.

BBS Signature
ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-06 09:40:05 Reply

Hey folks, just passing by to wish you good luck and all the best for this year's A.I.M.

The previous time it was just a starter, an idea born from that lovely distorted mind of my friend Real Faction whose intent matured and grew stronger, allowing Newgrounders from all over the world to test their skills, piano rolls and emotions a second time. 'Cause remember kids, Newgrounds never fails once. It fails TWICE and dares to fail a third time if necessary for the goodwill of its community.

I'm going to be judging this time 'round, something fairly new to me but still inspiring nonetheless, and in my opinion, my priority is to give feedback before setting on a final verdict. I couldn't care less about scores if it weren't for the fact that it's still a competition and they matter as a mean to let people find their resolve in this hopefully enriching experience.

I also don't consider any of my future reviews to be "final", in a sense that I'm always open for debate just in case somebody grows unsatisfied with their results or whatever other reason, even just to clear some doubts out of our minds. Feel free to drop me a PM for any question related to the contest or my own reviews. In short, if you don't give two shits, that's good too. We're all human beings, we can make mistakes and we can also learn from them.

So, we're also quite aware of the "welcoming" some entries receive once they're posted on this contest's official thread and I'm especially talking about zero-bombing...

Deal with it.

There's nothing we can do about it other than counter it with upvotes. I'm pretty sure that the majority of participants will try to give feedback to each other and try to fight this together. To everyone else, learn how to vote responsibly, as we don't need ass-kissers nor selfish morons ruining the party just because the system allows you to abuse your right to express your opinion. No, there's no way to convince His Royal Majesty Grand Knight of the Newgrounds Order Tom Fulp *bows* to reshape the voting system. No, there's no way to block zero-bombers. We're here mainly for the music, not the random 12 y/o troll.

TL;DR

In conclusion, I'm looking forward to hearing your entries and whatever your results will be, don't stop what you're doing (unless you're a pro-sound polluter, in which case I'll make sure you WILL stop- jk) and most importantly, have fun.

Cheers
//FD

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-06 17:37:01 Reply

At 3/6/14 09:40 AM, ForgottenDawn wrote: epic speech

That was amazing, well said.

Phonometrologist
Phonometrologist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-06 21:06:30 Reply

At 3/6/14 09:40 AM, ForgottenDawn wrote:

:don't stop what you're doing (unless you're a pro-sound polluter

Please elaborate to what you mean by that, because I might actually want to get a little close to polluting a couple of eardrums.

ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-07 08:25:37 Reply

At 3/6/14 09:06 PM, Phonometrologist wrote: Please elaborate to what you mean by that, because I might actually want to get a little close to polluting a couple of eardrums.

Be my guest. There's no rule without its exception, isn't that right? Be a creative fellow and follow thyself, that's all I can elaborate on a joke.

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-07 23:28:15 Reply

Just almost a day away! Contest starts Sunday. ZipZipper has joined the panel of judges, he won the contest last year and from what I've seen, has great musical knowledge and experience. Swell fella.

Also, if you haven't noticed, there have been some changes made to the rules and how it works this year to make it even better:

1. You don't have to ask the artist's permission to use the art piece.

2. No problem using the same art piece if it happens to be the same, last year we had lots of songs based on some of the same artwork. It's fine now :) no calling dibs.

3. Collabs are allowed this year, so you can work with vocalists and collab with anyone really, as long as it's not collabing with the judges of course.

4. Only 2 songs can be submitted per artist/group.

5. There will only be 7 runner-ups this year after the first 3 top placed songs (total of 10 on the contest album).

6. Unlike last year, this year's song judging will be focused on SKILL rather than just reflecting the art piece which you don't have to. Express it how it speaks to you :) but if you DO happen to reflect it well, extra bonus points.

7. Changed the judging process (secret) to be easier for all of us.

8. 5 judges this year.

9. Instead of a long video this year, I made a short promo video for the contest.

10. I'm providing ALL of the prize money this year, nothing will go wrong this time I promise!

Good luck starting Sunday guys! I'm hoping to make this a yearly thing. Thank you Tom again for backing this idea, I am happy to have made this idea a part of Newgrounds. Last year's submissions were amazing, I loved the music and I STILL listen to the album! :D

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 00:47:57 Reply

At 3/6/14 08:36 AM, ZipZipper wrote: Welp...I hope I get somewhere close to where I got last time.

Uhh oops...

BBS Signature
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 02:21:17 Reply

At 3/7/14 11:28 PM, RealFaction wrote: 1. You don't have to ask the artist's permission to use the art piece.

2. No problem using the same art piece if it happens to be the same, last year we had lots of songs based on some of the same artwork. It's fine now :) no calling dibs.

Great changes, should definitely make it a lot easier to start with something for some of us :)

6. Unlike last year, this year's song judging will be focused on SKILL rather than just reflecting the art piece which you don't have to. Express it how it speaks to you :) but if you DO happen to reflect it well, extra bonus points.

I'm really pleased with this one, though it's a bit odd that one doesn't have to reflect the art piece per se. Isn't that the purpose of this contest? Also, how much 'extra points' are we talking about? In other words: how will the scores be divided (e.g. 70% skill, 30% music-art-match)?

BBS Signature
JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 06:55:44 Reply

At 3/8/14 02:21 AM, EagleGuard wrote:
At 3/7/14 11:28 PM, RealFaction wrote: 6. Unlike last year, this year's song judging will be focused on SKILL rather than just reflecting the art piece which you don't have to. Express it how it speaks to you :) but if you DO happen to reflect it well, extra bonus points.
I'm really pleased with this one, though it's a bit odd that one doesn't have to reflect the art piece per se. Isn't that the purpose of this contest? Also, how much 'extra points' are we talking about? In other words: how will the scores be divided (e.g. 70% skill, 30% music-art-match)?

At first glance, I'd agree. But the rule actually makes sense. Everyone has a different perspective of things, so how well a music piece fits the artwork is more or less subjective.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 07:18:47 Reply

@RealFaction.
Am I missing something? Is there a duration limit, last year it was 6 mins, right?

BBS Signature
SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 07:56:18 Reply

Who is the 5th judge btw?

BBS Signature
Ryuno074
Ryuno074
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 09:41:20 Reply

This sounds like fun to me, I'm in.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Need custom music or SFX for your project? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1361543

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 09:47:58 Reply

At 3/8/14 02:21 AM, EagleGuard wrote:

Well it's a music contest I think it should be focused more on how creative and well made the song is. Honestly I'm not sure how much, it may vary.

At 3/8/14 07:56 AM, SoundChris wrote: Who is the 5th judge btw?

ZipZipper, who won the contest last year.

At 3/8/14 07:18 AM, PeterSatera wrote: @RealFaction.
Am I missing something? Is there a duration limit, last year it was 6 mins, right?

I forgot to add that to the rules so technically not really a rule, but it's preferred 2 to 6 minutes.

Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 21:15:01 Reply

I'll try to make my mark this time!

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 21:30:54 Reply

On another note, not to sound cross, but how many people actually read the rules? There's people posting in the submission thread when they shouldn't x_x. It's important to read every rule...including the one about shouting outside your window...kidding, no rule about that.

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 21:43:04 Reply

At 3/8/14 07:56 AM, SoundChris wrote: Who is the 5th judge btw?

....shade?

BBS Signature
Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 21:55:10 Reply

At 3/8/14 09:30 PM, RealFaction wrote: On another note, not to sound cross, but how many people actually read the rules? There's people posting in the submission thread when they shouldn't x_x. It's important to read every rule...including the one about shouting outside your window...kidding, no rule about that.

I read it all right after I posted that one post... I know that I should have read dem rules before doing that but meh.
I'm tired. :D

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 21:57:05 Reply

At 3/8/14 09:55 PM, Deshiel wrote:
I read it all right after I posted that one post... I know that I should have read dem rules before doing that but meh.

*pours coke in your eyes* that'll wake ya up heh heh heh >:) lol kidding. It's alright. That actually happened to me once when a buddy literally dragged me out of bed in a hotel room and i was on the floor, stuff burns the eyes man haha.

RetromanOMG
RetromanOMG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-08 22:49:27 Reply

I will involve myself with this.

Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2014-03-09 08:09:34 Reply

At 3/8/14 09:57 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 3/8/14 09:55 PM, Deshiel wrote:
*pours coke in your eyes* that'll wake ya up heh heh heh >:) lol kidding. It's alright. That actually happened to me once when a buddy literally dragged me out of bed in a hotel room and i was on the floor, stuff burns the eyes man haha.

Your coke is no match for my delicate eyes!
I have this on every morning shift, where I wake up at 4:45 when I', supposed to be at work at 5:00. God bless my car.