00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

beginner question

420 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

beginner question 2014-03-02 18:29:10

If I were to look into learning a programming language and wrote some basic code like the hello world code for example, how would I go about compiling the code?

Response to beginner question 2014-03-02 18:34:41

This depends on what language you want to start with. There are a lot to choose from. Some languages don't need compilation either, as they compile on runtime.

You're probably more specifically looking for how to run the code on your local computer. Again, you'll need to make a decision on which way to go, but most languages offer free ways to install the language to your environment.

Response to beginner question 2014-03-02 18:59:29

if i wanted to write a program in c++, is there some kind of compiler program i need to download to make it into an executable file?

Response to beginner question 2014-03-02 22:03:40

At 3/2/14 06:59 PM, maxxster wrote: if i wanted to write a program in c++, is there some kind of compiler program i need to download to make it into an executable file?

Yes.

If you're on Linux you will need to get G++, which is basically just a version of GCC (a C compiler) but for C++. Depending on the distro of Linux you might already have G++. You should be able to get G++ for OSX as well, but I have no experience with OSX so I cannot say for certain.

If you're on Windows then you can grab Visual Studio Express, which is a free IDE that will also give you Microsoft's C++ compiler. You can also get G++ for Windows with MinGW.

Response to beginner question 2014-03-03 15:41:07

hey guys thanks for the help. after doing some research i found a good ide and downloaded it. i actually wrote my first hello world program in c++ and compiled it yesterday!
thanks again for the information and references, i hope to write some cool programs in the future :)