00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

seaquester just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Community Collaboration

3,406 Views | 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 15:00:08

a few days ago the idea of doing a community collaboration was brought to light by @Troisynx in a different thread. the idea behind this thread is to bring more/better attention to the audio portal and increase people's awareness that we exist and are very capable of great things. not only is this collaboration for that purpose, it is also a good way to get the community together and make new friends.

so the objective of this thread is to get people together and discuss potential ideas and ways to go about doing this.

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 15:17:50

Are we talking about something along the lines of a compilation album?

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 15:20:11

At 3/2/14 03:00 PM, deadbea7 wrote: a few days ago the idea of doing a community collaboration was brought to light by @Troisynx in a different thread. the idea behind this thread is to bring more/better attention to the audio portal and increase people's awareness that we exist and are very capable of great things. not only is this collaboration for that purpose, it is also a good way to get the community together and make new friends.

so the objective of this thread is to get people together and discuss potential ideas and ways to go about doing this.

I have several ideas for this, though mostly not mine and some are from ideas I've read by others.

Depending on how many people you can get to come forward will dictate which if these suggestions could work or perhaps should be attempted.

Could get a couple or more artists to contribute towards one track, within this task there can be several approaches but best defined by those participating in such a task at the time of start.

could get several artists to contribute towards an album Much like this ;) a track a piece, or, combined with the idea from above, where each track could be collaborated on for the album, this could be interesting in itself, an album of collaborated tracks! to make it even more interesting, rather than the artists choose who they work with, the names (if there's enough interest) could be chosen by a third party to work together.

There's a few ideas

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 15:24:05

At 3/2/14 03:20 PM, Stealth-Emergence wrote: Stuff

LOL I trailed off a bit, starting out with a speech about ideas from others, then trailed off without actually doing that, I'm strange some times 0.o

For trekking and volunteering opportunities in India, please contact: jambange.org@gmail.com

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 16:12:31

At 3/2/14 03:58 PM, Bspendlove wrote: Get teams of 4-5 people, each making a track together as a team,

but put people who are totally different together... That would be interesting to see what the outcome would be of a bunch of total different bunch of people working together...

Could work, or maybe not...

Their differences I think could go either of two ways, but worth pursuing, for sure.

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 16:15:00

Another point worth taking into consideration.

Not everyone uses the same programs

Not everyone uses the same VSTi's

These aren't major problems, workarounds can be used to solve this (like exporting those parts as sound file, etc...) and/or use of midi files etc...

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 16:40:56

Sounds like a cool idea, though I haven't been around here long. Would it just be for people who are 'established' or could newcomers join in too?

Please hit me up if you want a review!

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 16:42:33

At 3/2/14 04:40 PM, MrBellington wrote: Sounds like a cool idea, though I haven't been around here long. Would it just be for people who are 'established' or could newcomers join in too?

Anyone willing to have a go, it's all part of the learning experience.

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 17:25:47

At 3/2/14 03:58 PM, Bspendlove wrote: Get teams of 4-5 people, each making a track together as a team,

but put people who are totally different together... That would be interesting to see what the outcome would be of a bunch of total different bunch of people working together...

i was thinking put people who are familiar with a certain genre together. like 2-3 people work on a dubstep track, while 2-3 other people work on hosue or something. and then there are those who use live instruments as well and record their own stuff. so maybe those people should work together.

this is why i started the thread, to get some ideas going.

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 17:35:21

At 3/2/14 05:25 PM, deadbea7 wrote:

i was thinking put people who are familiar with a certain genre together. like 2-3 people work on a dubstep track, while 2-3 other people work on hosue or something. and then there are those who use live instruments as well and record their own stuff. so maybe those people should work together.

this is why i started the thread, to get some ideas going.

I think it would be nicer to mix things up a bit, gives people the opportunity to do something different, it pushes them in new directions, each party comes away from it learning something new, trying things they wouldn't have thought of, you'd be amazed at how that can turn out.

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 17:39:54

At 3/2/14 05:35 PM, Stealth-Emergence wrote:
I think it would be nicer to mix things up a bit, gives people the opportunity to do something different, it pushes them in new directions, each party comes away from it learning something new, trying things they wouldn't have thought of, you'd be amazed at how that can turn out.

this is true. so we have teams of 2-3 people, mixing different genres. this could work.

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 17:52:46

At 3/2/14 05:39 PM, deadbea7 wrote: this is true. so we have teams of 2-3 people, mixing different genres. this could work.

Maybe it would be best to have teams of just 2. That might make it easier for them to agree on things and work more efficiently.

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 21:02:35

At 3/2/14 05:39 PM, deadbea7 wrote:
At 3/2/14 05:35 PM, Stealth-Emergence wrote:
this is true. so we have teams of 2-3 people, mixing different genres. this could work.

I see where this thread is going!

Please don't make me play saz over a dubstep track. >.<

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 21:42:03

At 3/2/14 09:02 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I see where this thread is going!

Please don't make me play saz over a dubstep track. >.<

i'm sure we can just pick the group we want to join. it's not mandatory.

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-02 23:43:19

This sounds like a great idea

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-03 16:59:20

lets get more ideas going!

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-03 19:04:17

Count me in. I'm not great at mixing or production stuff, but if anyone's short of a melody or jingle, maybe I could help.

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-05 17:07:40

I think this is a great idea! What DAWs we all use should definately be taken into consideration when pairing people up just to make things easier.

Do you like pork sausages?

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-05 17:13:00

At 3/5/14 05:07 PM, neBSounds wrote: I think this is a great idea! What DAWs we all use should definately be taken into consideration when pairing people up just to make things easier.

Definitely should be considered, but there are work-arounds, with careful planning it shouldn't cause major problems for any groups to work together.

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-05 21:50:20

At 3/5/14 09:25 PM, Elitistinen wrote: About the sax over dubstep thing, didn't sorohanro make something very similar to that idea?

I'm in for this collab.

Saz, not sax.

Turkish string instrument pictured below.

In any case, I would enjoy a collab.

Community Collaboration

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-07 03:37:43

obviously we have people who think this is a good idea. does anyone want to nominate someone for "project leader" or something? idk how to go about starting this thing at all.

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-07 05:45:01

At 3/7/14 03:37 AM, deadbea7 wrote: obviously we have people who think this is a good idea. does anyone want to nominate someone for "project leader" or something? idk how to go about starting this thing at all.

I won't volunteer for project leader, maybe it can be done without, who knows?!

But what I would suggest is, from here on, asking those that are interested to express that interest and in addition.

Just state:

What their genre experiences are
The programs they use
Whether they play live instruments? and can record those live?
as well as whether there are any vocalists here?

This would IMO be useful information to help decide how the groupings could work.

Additional ideas:

To keep things together, I would recommend periodically re-summarising this info every x number of posts to save late arrivals from having to read through every single entry in this thread, as it could grow rather large,

or

Alternatively, a seperate thread created for that particular information and use this thread for the planning.

These are all just ideas I feel could be useful, take/leave whatever works and also make suggestions here also, together we'll hit on the right combination of ideas that could work for this project.

Again, I can't participate but can willingly offer up information, suggestions,etc...

I will join in on this at some stage, once the website re-launches, etc...

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-07 17:04:26

maybe we can get a group skype thing going on if this shit gets real

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-07 17:10:50

At 3/7/14 05:04 PM, neBSounds wrote: maybe we can get a group skype thing going on if this shit gets real

Or a hangout?

I'd be down with that, only issue regarding this would be the different timezones, but... if someone, or everyone keeps notes of what's said those notes could get posted here, etc..

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-09 22:30:34

I really like the sound of this, although I too am rather new here, but I would definitely enjoy collaborating with other producers / other artists and see what could come out! You can check out what I do (mainly dubstep with dark ambient moods) if you like, see if it could fit into whatever any of you have in mind :)

"Flyboy"
"Moonlight"
"Mist"

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-10 07:03:14

Im liking this idea, not just so much of bringing the more experienced members together but more to pair up some of the less experienced musicians with the more confident ones...

Almost like tutoring :), I like this idea and I would be pleased to participate.~

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-12 12:29:08

I'd be cool with this as a musician who uses live instruments. The problem is, I record in a studio, so I don't use DAW's, I record analog lol. However, I am quite comfortable with DAW's, I can use Protools and Reaper pretty well. I make a little more on the misc. type of music, but I still record some mainstream stuff. I am mainly a singer, but I've been playing guitar since I was 7. I know my theory pretty well, and I am down with this, even though I am fairly new to the Newgrounds community.

Dom Spike, the wannabe Lizard King...

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-12 18:19:48

At 3/12/14 12:29 PM, dominicocollora wrote: I'd be cool with this as a musician who uses live instruments. The problem is, I record in a studio, so I don't use DAW's, I record analog lol. However, I am quite comfortable with DAW's, I can use Protools and Reaper pretty well. I make a little more on the misc. type of music, but I still record some mainstream stuff. I am mainly a singer, but I've been playing guitar since I was 7. I know my theory pretty well, and I am down with this, even though I am fairly new to the Newgrounds community.

i'm sure we can work around something like this. like, prerecord something and then throw it on top of a track. idk, we still need ideas and to vote on what we really wanna do.

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-12 21:42:31

anyone got any ideas of when this might be starting?

BBS Signature

Response to Community Collaboration 2014-03-13 00:08:31

At 3/12/14 09:42 PM, neBSounds wrote: anyone got any ideas of when this might be starting?

i have no idea. i haven't heard from the person with the original idea. there's no telling. i don't want to start doing anything until they chime in or someone with a great presence on here.