00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to improve Zelda

988 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How to improve Zelda 2014-03-02 13:40:24

With a new Zelda in the works, but nothing in the way of details, the same old criticisms are starting to emerge. 'The game is just the same thing every time', 'Nintendo are just repackaging the same game' etc etc.

So what exactly would you like to see in a new Zelda, and what (if anything) should be changed to make Zelda once again the greatest game series on Earth?

For me there are a number of things that could be done, without changing the overall template dramatically, and they involve taking what was great about other games in the series:

1) Increase the difficulty, or at least give an option for this (a common suggestion)
2) I really don't mind which artistic style they go with, but a darker theme again would be nice after the bright and cheery Skyward Sword.
3) Setting the game in either a version of Hyrule of Clock Town (or both).
4) Bring back masks (as for me games like this are best when you have as many options as possible to solve a puzzle/defeat a boss, and the masks essentially add 20+ options to the mix of regular weapons).
5) Have at least one large town with plentiful minigames/quests/NPCs. Skyward Sword was a major step back in this for me. More than one town populated by different races would be even better.
6) Improved options in combat. I don't mind motion controls actually, but sword options need beefing up in line with more difficult enemies. I liked the method for improving items in Skyward sword- bring this back!

Nothing too revolutionary there. And that brings me to number 7.

7) Make the game grounbreaking again. OOT set a new bar for 3D adventures. Every game since has not had anything close to the same impact on gaming. It is time that changed. And this is how I'd like to see it done...

The greatest thing about OOT and MM for me was the manipulation of time. This created so many options in story and puzzles, and needs to be brought back. But better.

Imagine a Zelda set over a 50 year timescale. A Zelda where you could travel to any point in time over that period, and the world around you evolves in 4 dimensions, not 3. Imagine NPCs being killed and born, and changing over time. Imagine puzzles where you need to alter the flow of time to progress. Dungeons that can only be accessed at certain points in time (after a bridge has been built, before it is destroyed).

Imagine a world gradually descending into the madness of evil. Where your actions can alter the game world through time. Where the difficulty level is entirely flexible, as the game becomes more difficult the further through time you progress. Think of a dungeon being open for a 15 year period, where depending on when you enter determines the number and challenge of enemies, with special rewards for those willing to take it on at its hardest.

That is my dream for Zelda. A Zelda game that can once again be held up as the greatest that gaming has to offer. A game full of ambition and innovation, but still retaining its core.

Now I only hope Nintendo are reading...

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-02 15:22:59

Perhaps I'm missing information (I'll admit I haven't been keeping up with gaming news too fervently.), but the only new Zelda game I know of is Hyrule Warriors, which is already a bit of a shake up on the classic formula, at least where the combat is concerned.

I do agree that I'd love more time shenanigans and Termina, though.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"

"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-02 20:50:59

At 3/2/14 07:15 PM, Braiton wrote: What the Zelda franchise needs is to forget that Skyward Sword ever happened.

How about no.

I really liked the direction that A Link Between Worlds had going for it. One problem that had been going on for a while was how worthless the currency was. ALBW made rupees the key factor for progressing through the game. And in that vein, make the game non linear, but more in the sense of Zelda 1, and not just through the use of a shop.

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-03 03:50:07

How about we don't play as a Link reincarnation this time around? I've got nothing against Link, but isn't it time to introduce a new hero?

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-03 06:15:43

Go back to the original formula. More fires. More bushes. More door repair charges. Old men that shoot fire at you if you swing at them. Why does everything have to be "rebooted" anyway?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-03 12:49:18

At 3/3/14 07:33 AM, ManDeep wrote:
Oh dear your input is fucking genius. Why didn't I think of making the new Zelda groundbreaking again?!

Seriously though, are you twelve?

Are you? Because apparently you failed to read any of the paragraph that followed that which backed up and expanded on that idea, and gave what I think is a legitamate route to making a groundbreaking game, without having to tinker too much with the established formula.

And as Nintendo have done nothing since OOT to make a legitimately ground breaking Zelda game, preferring to retread the same formula, I don't think it is an unreasonable inclusion.

At 3/3/14 01:35 AM, oobooglunk wrote: My perfect Zelda game would...

1. Have multiplayer. Four Swords has taught me that Zelda is most entertaining with a friend, and I tend to grow bored with most 3D Zelda games when I play them alone as opposed to playing them with a friend at my side.

I could live without this, though it would be an interesting addition to a 3D Zelda.

2. Emphasize exploration over combat. Zelda has always been about adventure, and I don't think combat should take priority in a Zelda game, which is something that Skyward Sword (for all its positive characteristics) didn't exhibit. The core of the gameplay should be figuring out where to go and what to do.

I'd like both, but I've felt like exploration was decent in most of the 3D Zelda games (with Windwaker the pinnacle). Whereas combat has always been a weakness compared to many other 3D advanture games.

3. Be non-linear. Relating to the previous point, since Zelda started off as an adventure title, I believe its dungeons should be accessible in any order. After Zelda 1, I can only think of one game that did this, and that was Link's Awakening. The rest (discounting oddballs like Zelda 2) followed the Link to the Past formula: generate a massive world, give the player a map, and send them off with a pat on the back and a point in the right direction. Games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie did this, and it was wonderful.

This would be awesome.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-03 15:03:10

How about a legend of lena? You heard me 63link. And sequel to majora's mask and be some op joker that alter link's gender and becomes lena and find a way to stop it.

Also too add some adult themes.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-03 15:52:08

At 3/3/14 12:49 PM, Sentio wrote:
Are you? Because apparently you failed to read any of the paragraph that followed that which backed up and expanded on that idea, and gave what I think is a legitamate route to making a groundbreaking game, without having to tinker too much with the established formula.

And as Nintendo have done nothing since OOT to make a legitimately ground breaking Zelda game, preferring to retread the same formula, I don't think it is an unreasonable inclusion.

The problem with your statement is whether or not you think the time travel mechanic was ground breaking or not. I did like the idea of travelling from past to future in OoT, and from what I've seen, Majora's Mask is a brilliant exploration of time travel in any game. Oot gets a lot of love because it brought a lot of new players to the franchise. From a setting standpoint, I adore it, but from a gameplay standpoint, it really is rough (3DS remake aside).

But what your point boils down to is that you want to see a game based entirely around the concept of time. You would find that ground breaking, not everyone would. It sounded a bit pretentious when you said it.

I do find aspects of your idea to be interesting, but by revisiting time travel as a central mechanic, you would be encroaching upon ideas that were already used in OoT and Majora's Mask, which, by definition, would make it less than ground breaking.

Regardless of how cool a time based Zelda would be, I'd rather the development team try out lots of different ideas. Some will flop, some will be quite great, so I really don't mind either way, so long as freedom and exploration is the main theme in the game.

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-04 13:48:35

At 3/3/14 03:52 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
But what your point boils down to is that you want to see a game based entirely around the concept of time. You would find that ground breaking, not everyone would. It sounded a bit pretentious when you said it.

I do find aspects of your idea to be interesting, but by revisiting time travel as a central mechanic, you would be encroaching upon ideas that were already used in OoT and Majora's Mask, which, by definition, would make it less than ground breaking.

I just don't think I have ever seen a game that fully realises a 4 dimensional world. OOT could be viewed as two nearly identical 'worlds', with very little of the puzzles actually requiring you to alter the past to change the future. I can't say I am the most well rounded gamer in terms of what and how often I play, but that seems like a big step in my mind. It opens so many possibilities in terms of puzzles, character development, integrated difficulty, environmental design and multi branched story telling. It's the sort of thing a franchise like Zelda should try and pull off, and for me takes the time themes in OOT and MM to a whole different level.

Maybe it does sound pretentious, but I really think the idea has merit, and can be taken to places that gamers have never explored before. There is still plenty of scope to explore other changes and mechanics within that, but as a Zelda 'theme' I think it is the natural path for the franchise to take. Zelda has dipped its toe in the water of the time mechanic, and OOT was a groundbreaking game for 3D. Why not be the first to really explore 4D. It just needs the ambition to make something that would be more complex than any of the games that they have made to date.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-04 16:21:38

At 3/4/14 01:48 PM, Sentio wrote:
At 3/3/14 03:52 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
Maybe it does sound pretentious, but I really think the idea has merit, and can be taken to places that gamers have never explored before.

I agree whole-heartedly with your statement, and I think lots of great experiences could come about from such an idea. When I said it sounded pretentious, I was referring to what ManDeep took away from your post. No fault of either of yours, just first impressions and unclear communication.

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-06 19:36:39

1.Let me get out of/get off of my method of travel
no more treating link like he's the bubble boy,please.
2.Motion controls should be optional
3.Make the game's hard mode like the original zelda where they don't JUST increase the hp of enemies.
4.voice acting for every character that Can be turned on and off.
5.more characters like midna that have a back story,and character development
6.Let me save Anywhere i want like in pokemon
7.more rpg elements

SSBB FC 0989-9996-1521

Proud member of nhotspot.net(SSBBKING)

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-07 09:46:25

1. Go back to the controller, Wind Waker HD was perfect.
2. Just improve the graphics.. everything else they've been doing in Zelda is fine.
3. Do NOT go multiplayer, unless it's Four Swords, I liked the bottles in Wind Waker though.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-07 10:08:01

Zelda is lame.

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-08 00:21:30

I would like a darker theme like TP again. I like the cartoon feel of WW or SS, but I still like TP. Yeah I'd say all of your suggestions are good. But I would like to add to the 50 year time travel. I want Link's age to also change according to the year he's in. So say Link's 6 in the earliest year. Sometime when he goes 50 years in the future, he's now 56. Maybe in the beginning of the game you start young but the game jumps to different periods of time and you go through like 3 dungeons. Then you fight Ganondorf or whatever when your 56 or something. You fail, but discover a way to go back in your life and change the events (think Butterfly Effect). Ultimately changing the outcomes so you save Hyrule.
You would be able to see different versions of Hyrule because it could change when you alter the history. This would definitely keep things kinda fresh and always a little new!
I think this idea has a lot of potential.

Zombies! Ahhh! || GT: Rage the Worm

BBS Signature

Response to How to improve Zelda 2014-03-09 05:30:14

They are catering to the same age bracket for ever and ever.

Zelda fans grew up and got older....

Their target audience stayed the same.

Less cel-shaded kiddy cartoon crap, make Link a badass, and put in fewer retarded unnecessary npcs (shit like Tingle).

Let the players figure shit out instead of giving a 2 minute long boss battle 5 cutscenes that show its weaknesses.

make a Zelda game for adults.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature