New Topic Respond to this Topic
Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-02-27 21:32:57 Reply

Hey gang! It's been a while since I've drawn anything, but I'm starting to get back into it. I just got a tablet about a week ago, and have been dabbling in photoshop. It's pretty fun and I'm getting a hang of it. I plan to evolve my skills into more of a realistic style and I'd greatly appreciate any feedback you have! Slaughter me with your critiques, if you must!!!

Here's a taste of what I'm doing...

Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice!

KenOhSama
KenOhSama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-02-27 22:02:45 Reply

Looking good so far, there's nothing major that stands out as needing critique; I'd just say in general keep experimenting with shading and painting techniques. Pay close attention to your anatomy and always be double checking to see if the pose you're doing looks natural and visually interesting (she looks a little stiff in that pose).

The background is starting to come together, and I like the contrast of the pink sky with the grass. The way the image is framed suggests there's going to be something of note on the left. She's all the way to the far right, so I don't know if at some point you plan on adding something to the fore or background; but in any case it's a good idea to flip your image horizontally from time to time, this way you can check for errors and get a new angle on things when it comes to layout and set up.

Regards
KenOS

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-02-28 13:35:08 Reply

At 2/27/14 10:02 PM, KenOhSama wrote: Looking good so far, there's nothing major that stands out as needing critique; I'd just say in general keep experimenting with shading and painting techniques. Pay close attention to your anatomy and always be double checking to see if the pose you're doing looks natural and visually interesting (she looks a little stiff in that pose).

The background is starting to come together, and I like the contrast of the pink sky with the grass. The way the image is framed suggests there's going to be something of note on the left. She's all the way to the far right, so I don't know if at some point you plan on adding something to the fore or background; but in any case it's a good idea to flip your image horizontally from time to time, this way you can check for errors and get a new angle on things when it comes to layout and set up.

Regards
KenOS

Cool! thanks so much for the feedback, KenOhSama! I know exactly what you mean about it looking stiff, I think it's the left arm... something about it is off. I do plan on maybe adding in something on the left, like in the background, but I started getting a mental block and couldn't quite figure it out. I don't know, but I'll definitely stick with it!

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-05-10 21:42:26 Reply

Been a while, but I should at least put stuff out there! Hope you like it, but please, give me comments and advice. You can be a judging as you want!

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-07-01 04:06:43 Reply

Been quite a while NG, so I thought I'd finally upload something. This took me 4 hours, and it's based off a picture I used for reference. I feel like I did pretty well!

I'm gonna put the pic up too, and not just on my forum thread, so if you like it on its own, check it out on my page! (I'm not scouted yet)

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-07-17 22:27:38 Reply

I wanted to color it, and I feel like I'm just gonna put this version on my forum page. Let me know if you like it or have any wisdom you could give!

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-07-17 22:30:01 Reply

Sorry, it didn't upload first time...

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-07-29 21:06:05 Reply

Trying to create shading using only coloring... pretty hard to do. didn't know that til now.
Please let me know if you like this style over the other way I've been drawing! (gray scale then colorized)

IF YOU READ THIS: please give me feedback, I'm going crazy seeing how many people look at my forum thread when I post something, and no feedback. Thank you!

-Lab

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-07-30 23:27:08 Reply

More work, same way of doing it. I like the other way I was learning more but feel like more is possible with this way... Idk whatever.

Give back some feed yo!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-07-31 03:57:09 Reply

At 7/30/14 11:27 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: More work, same way of doing it. I like the other way I was learning more but feel like more is possible with this way... Idk whatever.

Give back some feed yo!

Would you mind showing us how you did it? Brushes and all?

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-07-31 04:26:32 Reply

At 7/31/14 03:57 AM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 7/30/14 11:27 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: More work, same way of doing it. I like the other way I was learning more but feel like more is possible with this way... Idk whatever.

Give back some feed yo!
Would you mind showing us how you did it? Brushes and all?

Yeah of course! For this I've been using only color instead of working in grayscale, but i would try and get the shadows looking good then I duplicate a layer then spply a blur to soften some of the lines. You probably could now tell if you look at the first one.
(also, I now looked at it again, and figured out what's wrong. It's her damn neck going into her arms)

NGComicd
NGComicd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-02 14:23:01 Reply

At 7/17/14 10:30 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: Sorry, it didn't upload first time...

Awsome piece. It looks very realistic. I liked the way you colored it.

Shumë njerëz duan të pjerdhin kur ju do qefi. Ajo duhet vetëm kur eshtë dimër, ndryshe pjerdh dhe na prish sistemin.
[Request a Review]
[Join the Coms]

BBS Signature
Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-02 17:11:06 Reply

At 8/2/14 02:23 PM, ComicD wrote:
At 7/17/14 10:30 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: Sorry, it didn't upload first time...
Awsome piece. It looks very realistic. I liked the way you colored it.

Thanks man! I'm really glad to see responses lately!

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-02 18:02:10 Reply

I think it's done. Does it look done?

ALSO, I'm kinda bored just sketching what I want, I need a challenge! If you want, recommend something for me to try! Please!?

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-08 21:22:35 Reply

Just some 3d models I made to test out making custom textures for Sketchup using Photoshop. It's a before and after so hopefully it will show how to achieve something like this in Sketchup, seeing that there is no way to blend materials in it, you have to make it all yourself. Please let me know what you think and if you want to see a full res of the "after", go to my page!

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-13 20:48:49 Reply

...will always be a great man.

ChillyCheese
ChillyCheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-13 21:33:01 Reply

You've got a good understanding of shading, but you should use the burn and dodge tools less. Control what colors you use for your shadows and highlights. Say you have a yellow ball, if you used the burn tool to create the shadow it will shift the color closer to black, black shadows will flatten form. Instead try delving into other colors like red, green, or blue, any of which could be used to make a darker area of yellow. Doing this will let you be more deliberate with the feeling that you are trying to create with your image based on what colors you choose.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about. All of these balls (heh) are the same base yellow, but I've shaded them with different colors. The middle one just staying within yellow tones, which isn't wrong per-se, it's just important to experiment with color in my opinion because of how closely it ties to emotion and how the viewer will react when seeing it.

Keep it up man, your digital paintings definitely have a very dramatic effect, and you've captured the softness of the skin very nicely.

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-14 18:03:17 Reply

Cool! that's actually an awesome example of color shading on those balls. I don't actually use any burning or dodging, it just tends to look that way when I color my gray-scale drawings. I think I'm gonna make the leap to working and shading in color from scratch instead from now one though! (unless I make something that stays monochromatic)

Much appreciated feedback!

At 8/13/14 09:33 PM, ChillyCheese wrote: You've got a good understanding of shading, but you should use the burn and dodge tools less. Control what colors you use for your shadows and highlights. Say you have a yellow ball, if you used the burn tool to create the shadow it will shift the color closer to black, black shadows will flatten form. Instead try delving into other colors like red, green, or blue, any of which could be used to make a darker area of yellow. Doing this will let you be more deliberate with the feeling that you are trying to create with your image based on what colors you choose.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about. All of these balls (heh) are the same base yellow, but I've shaded them with different colors. The middle one just staying within yellow tones, which isn't wrong per-se, it's just important to experiment with color in my opinion because of how closely it ties to emotion and how the viewer will react when seeing it.

Keep it up man, your digital paintings definitely have a very dramatic effect, and you've captured the softness of the skin very nicely.
ChillyCheese
ChillyCheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-14 18:52:35 Reply

Glad to help! This is something I recently figured out myself, and it really opens up a lot of doors. I wish I could find the video that explained it to me, cause when I saw it my mind was blown. But one of the bigger points the guy stressed was that you can really bring out some colors in areas you would never expect if you fudge it right. Good luck!

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-14 21:30:46 Reply

Yeah it's a really helpful method! I tried it a little bit while coloring Robin Williams. Definitely adds much more vibrant and feeling to it!

Full res up too!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-15 08:56:49 Reply

At 8/13/14 08:48 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: ...will always be a great man.

I hate to be that guy, but:
did you trace this?

BBS Signature
Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-15 15:26:48 Reply

I was initially thinking of tracing to save time, but I did not. I was using a picture from good morning vietnam as only reference while blocking out the outer & major lines, then all the shading I did without visual reference to the pic to try and get a good original composition.

The image of him was in a separate window from my work, just to clarify.

I see how it looks like a trace now however, I didn't realize how close to the original it looked. Referencing isn't bad is it? :(

At 8/15/14 08:56 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 8/13/14 08:48 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: ...will always be a great man.
I hate to be that guy, but:
did you trace this?
Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-15 17:00:00 Reply

I couldn't think of the word before, but I believe it's called a study? To affirm that I drew this from scratch, I saved a jpeg of all the versions of psd's I made while working on this. I spent around 9 hours drawing this, so here it is! (I had other drafts in between but it doesn't seem worth including them because there's not much differences)

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-15 18:20:01 Reply

At 8/15/14 03:26 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: Referencing isn't bad is it? :(

Nope.

I was initially thinking of tracing to save time, but I did not. I was using a picture from good morning vietnam as only reference while blocking out the outer & major lines, then all the shading I did without visual reference to the pic to try and get a good original composition.

I see how it looks like a trace now however, I didn't realize how close to the original it looked.

Somebody brought your pic to my attention, and provided this GIF overlaying your pic to the original, and it's a perfect fit.
Considering your work you made only two weeks ago, it's a bit of a stretch to say that you've improved your eye-hand coordination in that time to the abilities of a photocopier.

BBS Signature
Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-15 20:29:17 Reply

At 8/15/14 06:20 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 8/15/14 03:26 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: Referencing isn't bad is it? :(
Nope.

I see how it looks like a trace now however, I didn't realize how close to the original it looked.
Somebody brought your pic to my attention, and provided this GIF overlaying your pic to the original, and it's a perfect fit.
Considering your work you made only two weeks ago, it's a bit of a stretch to say that you've improved your eye-hand coordination in that time to the abilities of a photocopier.

I swear I did not directly trace over a photo of him, I used a grid system (on both the original image of him, and my blank file) to get proportion and placement correct. If there seems to be a gap between my capabilities, it is because I'm still only getting used to drawing digitally on my tablet, but I've been hand sketching for years. I learned 2 years ago in drafting classes about using 2D and 3D grids, and used one based on a 100 pixel spread.

If this method is frowned upon, I am sorry. I only wanted to have the likeness of his features correct.

From now on I will only make studies without this method, seeing that it can get me in trouble easily.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-08-15 21:45:48 Reply

At 8/15/14 08:29 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: I swear I did not directly trace over a photo of him, I used a grid system (on both the original image of him, and my blank file) to get proportion and placement correct.

There we go, that was an easy enough confession. I wish you said that in your first reply.

BBS Signature
Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-09-27 23:59:31 Reply

Too busy with school so I've not posted in a while, but here.
Body practice and positioning.
Outline and sketch so far (I deleted the presketch on accident so yeah), image to reference for proportion. All free handed and no grid lines, for this one and anymore to come from me.

helpimaddicted
helpimaddicted
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-09-28 13:42:34 Reply

At 2/27/14 09:32 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: Hey gang! It's been a while since I've drawn anything, but I'm starting to get back into it. I just got a tablet about a week ago, and have been dabbling in photoshop. It's pretty fun and I'm getting a hang of it. I plan to evolve my skills into more of a realistic style and I'd greatly appreciate any feedback you have! Slaughter me with your critiques, if you must!!!

Here's a taste of what I'm doing...

its pretty good....but other than the stiff posture which has already been criticized on,i would like to add that the upper part of her hands are a tad bit too short which makes her looks a bit dwarfy(if you know what i mean)

umm...im new here and looking out for friends......friend me or something?

Labyrinthus
Labyrinthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-09-29 15:27:16 Reply

Speed painting of an owl. 40 minute study. this was fun, good practice of feathers/fur with shading. I'm gonna post it too in the art forum so hope you enjoy and please leave comments.

helpimaddicted
helpimaddicted
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Labyrinthus' Art... Please notice! 2014-10-03 12:57:40 Reply

At 8/14/14 09:30 PM, Labyrinthus wrote: Yeah it's a really helpful method! I tried it a little bit while coloring Robin Williams. Definitely adds much more vibrant and feeling to it!

Full res up too!

u drew this???
:O
nice.

umm...im new here and looking out for friends......friend me or something?