Respond to this Topic
nick251
nick251
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Feb. 26th, 2014 @ 07:28 PM Reply

hey guys I downloaded stencyl but I cant add the kit since when I downloaded stencyl it had no folders.can someone please help me?

Halvgoeden
Halvgoeden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Feb. 26th, 2014 @ 11:50 PM Reply

Wiesi,

I just hope that Stencyl games exported for mobile will run more stable than Adobe Air. Right now I'm working on a game for mobile which I make with Adobe Air and it's a pain.. :(

I believe Stencyl 3.0 uses Haxe for mobile implementation, which compiles directly to the languages set for each platform. From experience, Haxe runs significantly better than AIR applications and does not require awkward third party run time environments.

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Feb. 27th, 2014 @ 05:14 AM Reply

At 2/24/14 05:26 PM, 7akiller wrote: woah , a contest cool ^_^ count me in

i haven't heard about this program before , but it seems easy to use

i don't know if i can make the music , can i ask some one for his music and add him to the credits ?? the same thing for the animations ?

Yes, you can definitely do that. As Tom said, there is a place to collaborate, and earlier in this thread Nimble said: "If any Stencyl programmer or team needs a musician, don't hesitate to contact me, @Troisnyx @SkyeWintrest or @samulis for music. We're all here to help."

There are a lot of other musicians too. As for the art, you may ask other people too. Not everyone can be both developers, artists and musicians XD. But if you do ask someone for their music and for someones art, and if you get ad revenue for your game, one usually shares with the other creators, unless you've agreed otherwise for whatever reason ;)

7akiller
7akiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Feb. 27th, 2014 @ 10:55 AM Reply

At 2/27/14 05:14 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: Yes, you can definitely do that. As Tom said, there is a place to collaborate, and earlier in this thread Nimble said: "If any Stencyl programmer or team needs a musician, don't hesitate to contact me, @Troisnyx @SkyeWintrest or @samulis for music. We're all here to help."

There are a lot of other musicians too. As for the art, you may ask other people too. Not everyone can be both developers, artists and musicians XD. But if you do ask someone for their music and for someones art, and if you get ad revenue for your game, one usually shares with the other creators, unless you've agreed otherwise for whatever reason ;)

good , so i can take permision from someone to use his art or music , but can i use sfx from google ? like the websites like freesfx.co.uk ?

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Feb. 27th, 2014 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 2/27/14 10:55 AM, 7akiller wrote:
At 2/27/14 05:14 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: Yes, you can definitely do that. As Tom said, there is a place to collaborate, and earlier in this thread Nimble said: "If any Stencyl programmer or team needs a musician, don't hesitate to contact me, @Troisnyx @SkyeWintrest or @samulis for music. We're all here to help."

good , so i can take permision from someone to use his art or music , but can i use sfx from google ? like the websites like freesfx.co.uk ?

I believe so. I see no reason as to why you could not use free sound effects, as they are indeed royalty free. Otherwise, I'm sure Tom will interfere, but that would just be odd.
But if you use some other artists art or music, make sure that they know that their stuff will be used, and what the agreement is, as I'm sure you will. Many people on this site are ready to collaborate, but I'm pretty sure that you can take help from people that are not members on Newgrounds too, on the same terms :p

Hismuri
Hismuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Feb. 28th, 2014 @ 03:40 PM Reply

Awwww.... Too bad there is enough time to do something cool. But I really want to see what people will submit

sebstarr
sebstarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 1st, 2014 @ 11:31 AM Reply

Do you have to submit a FULL game? Or can it be a demo version, containing several levels?

Would that make any difference to the overall rating?

dratrat1
dratrat1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Writer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 1st, 2014 @ 08:52 PM Reply

It won't work on my computer

gangstar59
gangstar59
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 2nd, 2014 @ 08:11 AM Reply

Can i send game fgl for feedback?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 2nd, 2014 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 3/1/14 11:31 AM, sebstarr wrote: Do you have to submit a FULL game? Or can it be a demo version, containing several levels?

Would that make any difference to the overall rating?

Having a full game would help, but if a demo is all you can manage then it will still come down to how awesome the experience of the demo ends up being!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
nixful-Autistic
nixful-Autistic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 2nd, 2014 @ 08:46 PM Reply

What is the criteriafor judging?

DIWAKAR
DIWAKAR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 5th, 2014 @ 08:38 AM Reply

What the hell!!! Its exam burden on me I just have 7 days
I tried to search the entries but I didn't got

Being a game maker is My ambition And 'tis the starting !!!!!!

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 5th, 2014 @ 12:27 PM Reply

At 3/5/14 08:38 AM, DIWAKAR wrote: What the hell!!! Its exam burden on me I just have 7 days
I tried to search the entries but I didn't got

If I understood you correctly, this might be what you're looking for: http://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse/tag/stencyljam2014

Blacksmith42
Blacksmith42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 6th, 2014 @ 02:52 PM Reply

Tom:
My understanding of your reply: StencylJam winners are not SOLELY determined by stars cast by NG users.

Imagine I post a game early and it gets some 1 stars due to a bug. I upload v1.1 before the deadline and now it gets 4 stars. Will the poor reviews prior to the bug fix impact my score for the STENCYL JAM results? Thanks

Also, please consider adding a link from the entry page (http://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse/tag/stencyljam2014) to this news forum?

At 2/24/14 09:14 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/22/14 01:08 PM, Newbie97 wrote: -how do you guys judge these things? My best guess was that it would be how well the entries integrated the theme but in this case that idea is shot.

-In what different ways can that money be paid? Sounds greedy but I'm asking because I'm curious about the system, and not because I'm expecting to win.
Judging will be based on simply trying to determine which games are the best of the bunch. Prize money can be paid via check or Paypal!
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 6th, 2014 @ 03:19 PM Reply

At 3/6/14 02:52 PM, Blacksmith42 wrote: Tom:
My understanding of your reply: StencylJam winners are not SOLELY determined by stars cast by NG users.

Imagine I post a game early and it gets some 1 stars due to a bug. I upload v1.1 before the deadline and now it gets 4 stars. Will the poor reviews prior to the bug fix impact my score for the STENCYL JAM results? Thanks

That is correct, the user votes don't determine the winners. They assist in the judging process when things are close, but things like release bugs shouldn't hinder a game.

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 6th, 2014 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 3/6/14 03:19 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/6/14 02:52 PM, Blacksmith42 wrote: Tom:

That is correct, the user votes don't determine the winners. They assist in the judging process when things are close, but things like release bugs shouldn't hinder a game.

Also, might I add a question? :)

I understand that every element of a game is important. But will there be some aspect that is more important than the others?
What I mean is; I'm not the best animator, for example. Of course, I could have collaborated with someone, but seeing as there was not so much time before the deadline for this contest, I decided I would try to make the animations myself. Naturally, I'll try my best (still in the middle of doing it), but it won't be top notch. I'm guessing that even if some aspect is not perfect, you will still have a chance to get somewhat high ratings in the competition?
If the game is enjoyable even if the let's say, the music could be better, it's still the entirety that counts, right :p ?

Thanks ;)

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 04:13 AM Reply

I believe Stencyl 3.0 uses Haxe for mobile implementation, which compiles directly to the languages set for each platform. From experience, Haxe runs significantly better than AIR applications and does not require awkward third party run time environments.

Awesome!! I think I already fell in love with Stencyl! Thanks for your answer!

ShadelightStudios
ShadelightStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 10:37 AM Reply

We're definitely going to participate. We wish that the deadline wasn't so early though.

7akiller
7akiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 12:34 PM Reply

i have a question , when i make a game can i participate in this contest by the game i made and participate with the same game in stencyl's contest ? (on their official website)

HunterStudios
HunterStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 05:14 PM Reply

I am definitely entering this year.

hiimcody1
hiimcody1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 14th, 2014 @ 01:56 PM Reply

It's really hard to take a contest seriously when you put shit like this on the front page...

• CookieClickerJam2014
    CookieClickerJam2014 by romdtb

A Cookie Clicker Addictive game! for Newgrounds StencylJam2014

Score
    2.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

This guy is a troll and you are enabling him. Is this really the kind of attitude you want to represent Newgrounds?

I mean look at his comments to the reviews he's received. Digging through the cesspool of reviews, you find legit, constructive reviews with him responding with "LOLOLOLOLOL".

Makes me really wonder what you guys are smoking when you front-page this shit.

Newgrounds certainly isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. I'll miss the old days when something had to be good to get attention. :(

lolwut?

HelpThePoor
HelpThePoor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 14th, 2014 @ 11:58 PM Reply

Cool! I don't have a lot of time, and I've yet to learn to use Stencyl, but I definitely want to give this a shot. This will be my first (attempted) game jam, woo-hoo!

Blobzone
Blobzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 15th, 2014 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 3/14/14 01:56 PM, hiimcody1 wrote: It's really hard to take a contest seriously when you put shit like this on the front page...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/635517
This guy is a troll and you are enabling him. Is this really the kind of attitude you want to represent Newgrounds?

I mean look at his comments to the reviews he's received. Digging through the cesspool of reviews, you find legit, constructive reviews with him responding with "LOLOLOLOLOL".

Makes me really wonder what you guys are smoking when you front-page this shit.

Newgrounds certainly isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. I'll miss the old days when something had to be good to get attention. :(

I think that they don´t frontpage anything. I think its an algorithm that chooses the games that are front-paged based on the number of clicks a game gets over a certain duration of time.

I can understand your frustation, but i think thats a better way than just frontpaging games only with a high rating. Because then only the best of the best would have their games featured (that also excludes me)

I know, practically copying games 1:1 is a bad move, but honestly. What about all the annoying Flappy Bird Clones? Tetris, Pacman, Mario and else.

And yes, the way he responds to "critics" is poor.

hiimcody1
hiimcody1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 15th, 2014 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 3/15/14 05:56 PM, Blobzone wrote: I think that they don´t frontpage anything. I think its an algorithm that chooses the games that are front-paged based on the number of clicks a game gets over a certain duration of time.

I can understand your frustation, but i think thats a better way than just frontpaging games only with a high rating. Because then only the best of the best would have their games featured (that also excludes me)

I know, practically copying games 1:1 is a bad move, but honestly. What about all the annoying Flappy Bird Clones? Tetris, Pacman, Mario and else.

And yes, the way he responds to "critics" is poor.

Yeah, I think you may be right about it being an algorithm.

I'm stuck in the past when it was manual. I'll probably be whining at kids to get off my lawn before long.

lolwut?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 16th, 2014 @ 09:36 AM Reply

At 3/15/14 08:49 PM, hiimcody1 wrote: Yeah, I think you may be right about it being an algorithm.

I'm stuck in the past when it was manual. I'll probably be whining at kids to get off my lawn before long.

It's not an algorithm, I do manually front page everything, although I don't always use the best judgment.

For example, I've played a lot of the real Cookie Clicker game in the past (elder pact and all), so when I saw CookieClickerJam it was kinda like a spoof on the Flappy Jam stuff... But it was also for our Stencyl Jam and the initial reviews were really good when I loaded the page, so after just clicking the cookie a few times and saying "yup, CookieClickerJam...", I popped it on the front page... But that was probably a dumb idea.

BBS Signature
harsamcreative
harsamcreative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 18th, 2014 @ 03:11 AM Reply

how does the winner will paid?

Blobzone
Blobzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 18th, 2014 @ 05:15 AM Reply

At 3/18/14 03:11 AM, harsamcreative wrote: how does the winner will paid?

Tom will personally appear on your front door jumping out of a cake with an envelope in his hands.

I guess paypal (read that somewhere in this thread)

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 18th, 2014 @ 10:06 AM Reply

At 3/18/14 03:11 AM, harsamcreative wrote: how does the winner will paid?

Via check or Paypal.

BBS Signature
HMG
HMG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 08:40 PM Reply

OH!
This is so great! And the prizes are amazing!
Thank you for this opportunity NG!

lokitaiwan
lokitaiwan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Stencyl Jam 2014 Mar. 23rd, 2014 @ 10:14 PM Reply

I just finished my game for the contest. You can play it here:

• Dungeon of the U Crumpet
    Dungeon of the U Crumpet by lokitaiwan

choose your own adventure - journey through space and time