00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

fxscreamer's art thread

89,595 Views | 649 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-14 10:17:33

I decided to start an art thread based off my first post a couple weeks ago. It should be slowly populated over time. :D

Anyway, here's my Valentine's Day pic.

Full pic link is here on my channel: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/fxscreamer/my-heart-is-yours

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-14 10:21:17

Forgot to mention my first thread with artwork is here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1359625/1

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-14 14:12:21

At 2/14/14 10:17 AM, fxscreamer wrote: I decided to start an art thread based off my first post a couple weeks ago. It should be slowly populated over time. :D

Full pic link is here on my channel: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/fxscreamer/my-heart-is-yours

Welp.. what can I say.

I really like the art, both the back ground and the characters.

I have one problem, and that is not just you, it has begun to be common, even in professional animations. and that is when the background simply do not match the style of the image itself.

Both your characters and the back ground is really well made, so why not make them in the same style?

I would love to see a piece by you with the same style all the way through!

That said. great work. you get 4/5 from me!

--Sticky is... well sticky...

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-14 14:53:24

Perhaps through exercising a consistent light source rendering you could better anchor the characters to the backdrop. I believe this is salvageable to where adding pastel colors (lights and shadows) to the characters may package this up nicely.

At 2/14/14 02:12 PM, ZleapingBear wrote:
At 2/14/14 10:17 AM, fxscreamer wrote: I decided to start an art thread based off my first post a couple weeks ago. It should be slowly populated over time. :D

Both your characters and the back ground is really well made, so why not make them in the same style?

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-14 14:57:28

At 2/14/14 02:53 PM, maficmelody wrote: Perhaps through exercising a consistent light source rendering you could better anchor the characters to the backdrop. I believe this is salvageable to where adding pastel colors (lights and shadows) to the characters may package this up nicely.

At 2/14/14 02:12 PM, ZleapingBear wrote:

It's interesting with this being said, cause I had another friend mention it before I released it. What I think I can do next time is put a little more paint and gradients in the characters, and add a bit more hard shading lines to the background. I can try to make them meet in the middle. I'm at a dilemma with my art style because I really like soft and lush toned backgrounds, but very Disney and Saturday morning cartoon character cell shading.

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-16 01:17:33

Tried another concept, and moved really fast on it. There are some anatomy problems I think, and the pose and expression still isn't as dramatic as I want, but that's why I practice. I tried to make some comedy with it too. :D

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-16 22:38:40

Getting frustrated. This is me letting off steam. I don't care if it sucks.

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-17 07:53:13

At 2/16/14 10:38 PM, fxscreamer wrote: Getting frustrated. This is me letting off steam. I don't care if it sucks.

I was about to critic this until I saw you just seemed to drew this without giving a damn on what it would look like.
Hope you're alright now.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-17 22:12:01

Had a better day drawing. I went for a Disney vibe in these. More experimenting.

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-17 22:34:06

Good stuff. My only suggestion would be to throw their whole bodies into the emotion/pose.

At 2/17/14 10:12 PM, fxscreamer wrote: Had a better day drawing. I went for a Disney vibe in these. More experimenting.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-18 21:10:58

Drew a few more. I kind of de-railed at the end. Poor Daphne.

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-18 21:59:52

Should've done this before. Quick coloring job.

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-19 03:21:11

Big design decision. I've been debating with it a lot. It really changes the look of the characters between "toon" and a more serious tone. Opinions?

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-19 03:22:14

I forgot to say that I ADDED AN IRIS TO THE EYE (eye color). That's what I'm asking.

God I hate how you can't edit posts.

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-20 03:59:06

Here's a front headshot of Enzo, which is a somewhat retouched version of his concept I aimed for straight-up Disney eyes. I feel this could be the finalized tone and look for my characters. I'm still working on Daphne.

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-20 22:22:01

Did an actual piece for both of their mugshots. I worked a lot on Daphne, and ditched the glasses. The hair might be a bit strong, but both their looks are near what I'm aiming for.

Partners In Crime

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-21 22:59:24

Getting wasted.......drawing cats. Laugh or pity me. Here's Archer. Fuck it.

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-22 04:22:21

For the record, I'm not trying to be a negative person. I realize my last post may have sounded a bit crass. I really do try to do it all in good spirit. :)

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-22 22:03:55

Did a speed painting for a DA member's original character. Took about 2 hours....oh, and it's not a cat this time!

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-24 18:56:11

A banner I made for a contest. The odds are stacked against me, but had to try. I drew humans again...and for the first time....anime.

You can download the full-res 2000x550 here, so you can see more detail. (keeping on DA right now for contest purposes).
http://fxscreamer.deviantart.com/art/The-Wind-Rises-Contest-Entry-436326839

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-24 19:32:12

At 2/24/14 06:56 PM, fxscreamer wrote: A banner I made for a contest. The odds are stacked against me, but had to try. I drew humans again...and for the first time....anime.

You can download the full-res 2000x550 here, so you can see more detail. (keeping on DA right now for contest purposes).

That's awesome! What software do you use I'd love to be able to find some tutorials to start learning this style? Keep it up look forward to seeing more!

- sb

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-02-24 19:46:16

At 2/24/14 07:32 PM, steviebear88 wrote:
At 2/24/14 06:56 PM, fxscreamer wrote: A banner I made for a contest. The odds are stacked against me, but had to try. I drew humans again...and for the first time....anime.

That's awesome! What software do you use I'd love to be able to find some tutorials to start learning this style? Keep it up look forward to seeing more!

- sb

Hey thanks! I mainly use Adobe Flash for my line work using an entry level Wacom Pen and Touch. I then export the PNG in giant resolution and do all coloring, shading, and cleanup in Photoshop. I try to export the line art at least 200-300 DPI to keep everything nice and sharp. After you do all your coloring work, then downsize for distribution (1920x1200 for example), everything crisps up just that much more. :D

http://www.brusheezy.com is also a savior for Photoshop tools.

I will say while Flash is quite beneficial for its line smoothing tool adjustments, it's not perfect. If you can master line art in Photoshop, you can ultimately get an even CLEANER result. I feel Cintiques are more adjusted for that though.

If you want some great drawing tips, check out Draw With Jazza on YouTube. It's very helpful stuff.

For backgrounds, watch as much Bob Ross as you can. :D

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-01 23:09:31

Arlo Cashmere is the older brother of Enzo Cashmere, and also the main character of my project. This is the very first official concept of him. I'll be honest, it's been giving me issues. I'm still not sure if I'm happy with the design. I've already gone through at least 4-5 redesigns of him before I found something that seemed acceptable. I suppose I'll have to give it some time and think about it. I'll eventually have his pose and expression sheet, but won't happen until I really lock in the look. I got sloppy on the body, but didn't seem to matter to me for this picture since I knew it wasn't a final design. The line work is extremely rough too. :P

I went ahead and did the background because you can't get enough practice. It was a speed run. :D

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-01 23:45:59

Quick thought on the background: If you're going to use stencil brushes, do a final pass to 'mess it up' and break the obvious use of a stamp. Specifically, I'm referring to the tops of the trees.

At 3/1/14 11:09 PM, fxscreamer wrote: Arlo Cashmere is the older brother of Enzo Cashmere, and also the main character of my project. This is the very first official concept of him. I'll be honest, it's been giving me issues. I'm still not sure if I'm happy with the design. I've already gone through at least 4-5 redesigns of him before I found something that seemed acceptable. I suppose I'll have to give it some time and think about it. I'll eventually have his pose and expression sheet, but won't happen until I really lock in the look. I got sloppy on the body, but didn't seem to matter to me for this picture since I knew it wasn't a final design. The line work is extremely rough too. :P

I went ahead and did the background because you can't get enough practice. It was a speed run. :D

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-01 23:49:53

Haha, good point. I will remember that. :D

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-02 03:15:30

Just a random curious question.
What do you plan on doing with your characters once you flesh them out?
Are you gonna make a comic or a flash animation about their adventures or is this just characters you just want to add with your paintings?

Also, the background is nice and all, but you really do love mountains and trees. x3

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-02 05:05:06

I had planned to make it a comic. The thing is, I'm wanting to make it in an art style where it looks like screenshots from a Disney film. I want a very liquid cell / film animation look. I don't see it starting for at least another year though. I still have a lot to learn through drawing, plus the story is far from done, but I definitely have a solid start on it. You are right on the mountains and trees. Don't worry, I know I'll need to change it up, do towns, low light shots, night shots, etc. The backgrounds aren't nearly as important right now as the character designs at the moment. :P

BTW, I'll deviate from those mountains and trees. How about fire? LOL

fxscreamer's art thread

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-02 06:24:47

At 3/2/14 05:05 AM, fxscreamer wrote: I had planned to make it a comic. The thing is, I'm wanting to make it in an art style where it looks like screenshots from a Disney film. I want a very liquid cell / film animation look. I don't see it starting for at least another year though. I still have a lot to learn through drawing, plus the story is far from done, but I definitely have a solid start on it. You are right on the mountains and trees. Don't worry, I know I'll need to change it up, do towns, low light shots, night shots, etc. The backgrounds aren't nearly as important right now as the character designs at the moment. :P

Have you tried scanning a traditionally drawn painting and editing that by dodge and burn tools and multiply layers?
I mean, you really have a strong idea on painting backgrounds, so maybe that stuff and all that jazz might be easy for you.
I don't know, just an idea.
I really want to try this, but I don't have a scanner and I still can't grasp shading and other coloring stuff.

And regarding your backgrounds, this is just an idea but could you make them simpler?
With how cute and cartoony your characters look, maybe less would be more.

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-02 06:25:49

At 3/2/14 06:24 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Have you tried scanning a traditionally drawn painting and editing that by dodge and burn tools and multiply layers?

Ugh, I meant traditionally drawn line art. >.>

Response to fxscreamer's art thread 2014-03-02 21:29:48

At 3/2/14 06:24 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
At 3/2/14 05:05 AM, fxscreamer wrote: I had planned to make it a comic. The thing is, I'm wanting to make it in an art style where it looks like screenshots from a Disney film. I want a very liquid cell / film animation look. I don't see it starting for at least another year though. I still have a lot to learn through drawing, plus the story is far from done, but I definitely have a solid start on it. You are right on the mountains and trees. Don't worry, I know I'll need to change it up, do towns, low light shots, night shots, etc. The backgrounds aren't nearly as important right now as the character designs at the moment. :P
Have you tried scanning a traditionally drawn painting and editing that by dodge and burn tools and multiply layers?
I mean, you really have a strong idea on painting backgrounds, so maybe that stuff and all that jazz might be easy for you.
I don't know, just an idea.
I really want to try this, but I don't have a scanner and I still can't grasp shading and other coloring stuff.

And regarding your backgrounds, this is just an idea but could you make them simpler?
With how cute and cartoony your characters look, maybe less would be more.

It sounds like you're speaking of Tracy Butler's shading method (Lackadaisy). I haven't tried that yet, but I know similar methods like that are useful for low lighting and luminosity techniques. You also spoke of simpler backgrounds.

Welp...here's Nibbles. I took a little more time on him than Scorch, and made a living room setting. I went with soft pastels and colors, going for a minimal yet effective look. Full version is in my gallery.

fxscreamer's art thread