New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 12:44 AM Reply

So I've looked around the clubs on here and haven't seen any game dev clubs around here, so I thought it'd be cool if i started one.

feel free to share current W.I.PS of projects, share knowledge on shit or argue about tools and shit

RULES
Only one, NO Idea guys.

Ok, now have fun!

BBS Signature
Rad
Rad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 12:45 AM Reply

Looks like a cool place for cool guys, like me.

First blood! First topic of 2010!
KC Green has just won my heart.
Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Cool club idea. I've been debating with myself whether or not to begin programming again. I think I shall soon.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 01:17 AM Reply

At 2/4/14 12:44 AM, TheMajormel wrote: RULES
Only one, NO Idea guys

Why?

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 01:30 AM Reply

At 2/4/14 01:17 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 2/4/14 12:44 AM, TheMajormel wrote: RULES
Only one, NO Idea guys
Why?

Most idea guys always propose an idea that they hope getting a team together , and when that happens they just sit on their asses adding in no effort. I think it's ok to build a prototype and get a team together to help, but most idea guys I've seen are lazy.

BBS Signature
bumblefish
bumblefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 05:13 PM Reply

I'm Down!

Potatoman
Potatoman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 05:14 PM Reply

Potatoman in dah club!

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 2/4/14 01:30 AM, TheMajormel wrote: Most idea guys always propose an idea that they hope getting a team together , and when that happens they just sit on their asses adding in no effort. I think it's ok to build a prototype and get a team together to help, but most idea guys I've seen are lazy.

I can understand that. A lot of idea guys though just don't seem to care and only offer the idea. I will admit that I'm an idea guy, but not a programmer or developer. I am a writer true and true. I would like to help out any members of this club though if I can. I will start with two books that any one looking to become a developer should read.

Little Wars and Floor Games. Both of these books were written by H.G. Wells and are extremely old, so you can find versions of them to read online if you wish.

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 4th, 2014 @ 08:44 PM Reply

At 2/4/14 07:29 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I can understand that. A lot of idea guys though just don't seem to care and only offer the idea. I will admit that I'm an idea guy, but not a programmer or developer. I am a writer true and true. I would like to help out any members of this club though if I can.

Oh yeah that's fine. At least you are willing to help in a way you can.

Little Wars and Floor Games. Both of these books were written by H.G. Wells and are extremely old, so you can find versions of them to read online if you wish.

I'll totally check these out!

BBS Signature
Eclipse
Eclipse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 7th, 2014 @ 11:42 AM Reply

Hey, this is cool. I can totally get behind the concept of a club for game development.

I have a zombie game I've been working on for the past couple months..I'm working solely in FPS Creator X10, if anyone here is familiar with that engine/model format. The game itself is far from being done, but the first level is almost finished, and a small beta level for multiplayer is done too. I can post screenshots if you guys are interested, I could use some feedback.

The Stoner's Club
Current PC: Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD Radeon HD 6320, 4GB RAM, 1.25TB HD, 1.65GHz AMD APU

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 7th, 2014 @ 11:45 AM Reply

I guess if Tom won't give us a gamedev forum (yet), this is the next best thing.

If you're an idea guy, be a writer if you can't draw or make art or music.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 7th, 2014 @ 11:46 AM Reply

At 2/7/14 11:42 AM, Eclipse wrote: I can post screenshots if you guys are interested, I could use some feedback.

Literally everyone needs to post screenshots about what they're making. Not optional. I have a bunch uploaded on twitter and in my ng blog right now, but I'll upload here as well when I get some new ones.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 7th, 2014 @ 07:30 PM Reply

At 2/7/14 11:42 AM, Eclipse wrote: I can post screenshots if you guys are interested, I could use some feedback.

Don't forget to use the Dumping Grounds and Project System to post your test works.

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 7th, 2014 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 2/7/14 11:46 AM, MSGhero wrote: Literally everyone needs to post screenshots about what they're making. Not optional.

Well that's kind of a silly axiom. I'm currently in the process of developing a web-based game, and currently am focusing my efforts on the server (specifically implementing the WebSocket protocol) as I haven't written the design document yet. So while I can talk plenty about the game, the only screenshots I could post would be of a console.

And for content I'll go into a little depth regarding my game:

My working title is "Trojan Bit", which I will be using until I can think of an actual title. It's going to be a mutliplayer hacking simulation game, inspired by Slavehack and Uplink, and, to a lesser extent, Hacker Evolution. The best, succinct description of the concept that I can give is that it's going to be something of a hybrid of Slavehack and Uplink. However, just to be clear, I will not be plagiarising either game. They are merely the inspiration for what I am making.

As I have not yet written the design document I am still throwing ideas around my head as to how the game should work. It will function akin to many web-based games, such as the aforementioned Slavehack, or HoboWars, where you will be given a character that becomes progressively more powerful as you progress through the game.

Since the game's client will be written in JavaScript/HTML5 it will be possible for me to create a website dedicated to the game itself, as well as a version that could be hosted on Newgrounds provided I can get the GUI to work with the limited screen space. I need to perform some tests before I can make an absolute decision on creating a client for Newgrounds.

Unfortunately, as of writing this the project is very much in its infancy, so the only thing I have to show so far is the proof of concept server that I wrote a few days ago (I posted about it in the programming forum here). Any day now I'm going to start designing the actual look of the game, so I should soon have something more substantial to show than just code.

That's all for now.

VanDennGames
VanDennGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 03:07 AM Reply

Hey guys! :D

The Great One suggested this club to me and you guys look really cool! :) I need people like you guys to review and test my game if you don't mind. :)

• Coin Apocalypse
    Coin Apocalypse by VanDennGames

Collect Coins, Avoid Meteors, and Get Upgrades!

Type
    Game Project

I'm open to things you guys suggest, point out, or critique. :)

P.S. This is my first game :))

Follow me in Facebook!
Check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 07:03 AM Reply

At 2/7/14 11:20 PM, Diki wrote: HoboWars

Used to play this a lot when I was younger

Uplink

Still play this a lot now

Looking forward to it, will there be any prominent PvP or other community/multiplayer elements?

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 10:34 AM Reply

At 2/8/14 03:07 AM, VanDennGames wrote: P.S. This is my first game :))

It's pretty great. It's a simple game and although I didn't purchase the hats (in fact, I didn't realize at the upgrade screen there was side arrows ) I have just two suggestions, leader-boards and when you get the invincibility power up, can you change the fonts to a different color?

At 2/7/14 11:46 AM, MSGhero wrote: Literally everyone needs to post screenshots

Cool Game Developers Club!

BBS Signature
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 02:10 PM Reply

Whats up. Currently Developing a game called Lone Wolf Ninja.

Beta Testing it. If you want to beta test it. let me know!

old screen shot.

BBS Signature
Eclipse
Eclipse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Alright then. It's called Project Theta, it's just a working title for now but it sounds good so I might stick with it. The primary focus for the main character is to kill all test specimens (zombies) and eradicate the virus so it doesn't spread. This first screenshot is the outside part of the first level, on the left is the sniper tower. Some isn't finished and the sniper tower itself should probably be a floor higher but it plays okay so far.

At 2/8/14 02:10 PM, swishcheese wrote: Whats up. Currently Developing a game called Lone Wolf Ninja.

Beta Testing it. If you want to beta test it. let me know!

old screen shot.

I'd like to beta test it, looks like an interesting game.

The Stoner's Club
Current PC: Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD Radeon HD 6320, 4GB RAM, 1.25TB HD, 1.65GHz AMD APU

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 04:26 PM Reply

At 2/8/14 07:03 AM, Innermike wrote: Looking forward to it, will there be any prominent PvP or other community/multiplayer elements?

PvP will be on the key elements to the game. It will be comparable to Slavehack where any player can hack into any other player's system, which if done incorrectly will leave a trace of your intrusion. Hacking into someone's system will give you the ability to install malware, which could be used to steal money from them. There will also be many NPCs that exist, like in Uplink, that can have the same things done to them, to allow players to progress without having to resort to PvP.

thetechnation
thetechnation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 09:42 PM Reply

im trying to build my first game so i will hang out around here i like learning from people way ahead of me

VanDennGames
VanDennGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 8th, 2014 @ 11:24 PM Reply

At 2/8/14 10:34 AM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 2/8/14 03:07 AM, VanDennGames wrote: P.S. This is my first game :))
It's pretty great. It's a simple game and although I didn't purchase the hats (in fact, I didn't realize at the upgrade screen there was side arrows ) I have just two suggestions, leader-boards and when you get the invincibility power up, can you change the fonts to a different color?

Hey thanks so much for the feedback! :D

I'm definitely going to add leaderboards (and medals)!

And what color do you think might fit? :)

Follow me in Facebook!
Check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 9th, 2014 @ 09:23 AM Reply

Pretty good club idea, I'll swing by later with screenshots when I get a little more time. I have plenty on my twitter and userpage and I'd like to post screenshots I haven't used already.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 11th, 2014 @ 06:17 AM Reply

Where all the shots at peeps? Here, have some nauseating menu screen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdIXsfuNBVg

BBS Signature
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 13th, 2014 @ 02:26 AM Reply

At 2/11/14 06:17 AM, Innermike wrote: Where all the shots at peeps? Here, have some nauseating menu screen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdIXsfuNBVg

Bringing this back to life. Here is a shot of an asteroid game I am working on for a school project for my computer graphics class. I Think it be a good idea for the people here to state what aspect of Game Development are you most focused in. Artist, Sound, Animation, Programmer, Designer, Writer. etc.

I am mostly a programmer. But I can do a little bit of art, It is not good art, but can be okayy at times. I cant do sound at all.
I Enjoy Programming Particle Effects, Physics, and really anything that will bring a game closer to being awesome and finished.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 13th, 2014 @ 09:01 AM Reply

At 2/13/14 02:26 AM, swishcheese wrote:
At 2/11/14 06:17 AM, Innermike wrote: Where all the shots at peeps? Here, have some nauseating menu screen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdIXsfuNBVg
Bringing this back to life. Here is a shot of an asteroid game I am working on for a school project for my computer graphics class. I Think it be a good idea for the people here to state what aspect of Game Development are you most focused in. Artist, Sound, Animation, Programmer, Designer, Writer. etc.

By necessity I've grown to be kind of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type. Right now my programming is in a lull while I put off my cutscene editor (I basically have to recreate as much of flash as possible and I'm not looking forward to it). Also helped with the Concerned Joe launcher running on os x. I've written ~3000 words this week for the game in a sort of screenplay style with a bit of context here, bit of directional stuff there and a pinch of dialog, haven't done any writing in forever and a day so it's a nice change of pace, got this plain text/ markup editor aptly named after Ulysses which feels great to use so that's motivating.

Art wise I've recently been trying out Corel painter for background stuff and I really like it but it doesn't give me the control of Pixelmator so I'm juggling both atm, not in a ad way though, I really like this setup. Also been reading some books on colour theory n shit trying to get to the next level stylistically. I was originally going to just shovel in a bunch of royalty free midi files from certain romantic era composers *cough*johnfield*cough* but I decided to learn to make tunes cause I thought it'd be fun, thats coming along slowly. I feel like I've learned more in the past month or two than I have in the whole year before that which is motivating and exhausting at the same time.

determined to keep this thread alive

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 13th, 2014 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 2/13/14 09:01 AM, Innermike wrote: Also helped with the Concerned Joe launcher running on os x.

Half the active flash regs helped with cj in some way it seems.

I'm the official cheerleader

Kong's api sucks. AG's api sucks. Not looking forward to implementing those. NG saves and local saves are working, though.

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 13th, 2014 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 2/13/14 09:01 AM, Innermike wrote:

Sweet, so you busy. Is that why I not hear your feedback of my ninja game yet? ;) just playing.

Cool. Isn't Egg working on a launcher for concerned Joe too? MSGHero is right. It does seem that way. Great game by the way.

BBS Signature
VanDennGames
VanDennGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 14th, 2014 @ 01:42 AM Reply

Hi!

I'm back with a new version of my game! Hope you guys like it. :D
Feel free to leave constructive criticism and opinions and stuff. :)

• Coin Apocalypse
    Coin Apocalypse by VanDennGames

Collect Coins, Avoid Meteors, and Get Upgrades!

Type
    Game Project

Thanks so much guys!

Follow me in Facebook!
Check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Cool Game Developers Club! Feb. 14th, 2014 @ 02:47 AM Reply

At 2/13/14 01:51 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 2/13/14 09:01 AM, Innermike wrote: Also helped with the Concerned Joe launcher running on os x.
Half the active flash regs helped with cj in some way it seems.

Help is kind of an overstatement for me, I'm sure the rest of you have done a lot more. btw, since you are the resident RPG guy what RPGs do you like/influence what you make?

At 2/13/14 04:48 PM, swishcheese wrote:
At 2/13/14 09:01 AM, Innermike wrote:
Sweet, so you busy. Is that why I not hear your feedback of my ninja game yet? ;) just playing.

I'm pretty shit at games generally, especially puzzles so I can only say it's pretty solid cosmetically, I can't speak very accurately on the levels themselves cause it's kind of a skewed view.

At 2/14/14 01:42 AM, VanDennGames wrote: Hi!

Place player in the middle a the start and a quick count down + transitions for death and restart. More control over jump height. Alternate coin collection and jump sounds. The movement is too slidey for a game like this, speed upgrades only seem to accentuate the problem rather than remedy it. The collision with the floor isn't working right and it's not super noticeable but it's enough to irk me just a little. Also because the coin rate is constant but the meteor rate increases it's more efficient for players to just farm it when it's easier rather than trying to last longer, that's not right. The meteors should rotate as they fall, not for any functional reason, any extra motion is nice. The upgrades page is kind of a pain to navigate, what do you have against tabs? I'd also suggest scrapping the custom cursor but I almost always recommend that so whatever, take it or leave it. Lastly, I'd recommend some sort of consistent motif, a couple links here and there wouldn't hurt. Maybe try showing meteors/ the effect of them in the background in a subtly enough way so as not to distract from the foreground action. With the death report/upgrades page why not merge them and just make a two page spread with page list on the left or a folder or something. Maybe present the blue guy as an alien? His crashed ship in the background (cause of meteors) and the death report has a [classified] thing. Just ideas.

BBS Signature