00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Soundcloud

1,388 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Soundcloud 2014-02-03 15:26:25

Have you guys noticed that there's just crap on Soundcloud? At least everything related to techno and electronic music. It's as if it was a trend.. the crappier the better. It's just randomly generated mixtapes with a few UMZ UMZ UMZ, some hi-hat and 3 or 4 notes. Not to mention the fully-filtered images of a hipster girl jumping on grass and the titles that make no sense. I like minimal, I really do.. but this is far beyond this genre. What's your opinion on this?

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-03 18:40:56

At 2/3/14 06:10 PM, Bspendlove wrote: There isn't just "crap" on soundcloud.

From who I follow, it's just a matter of finding... There is a bit of crap on it isn't there? But not "just" crap, but I see what you mean...

I heard phenomenal compositions up on Soundcloud (full pieces) and I have met a few people who I now 'study' with... There are a lot of them people who just throw random crap on there like me.. (I throw a lot of my WIP/roughs)..

Yeah, it's true that there's some good songs.. but you find them like once a week. Like finding something useful in a trash can.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-03 18:42:29

Oh, by beyond I meant below*

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-03 18:59:43

Besides checking out some NG user's soundclouds, I've only really used soundcloud to listen to this guy's stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/max-richter

Haven't really used soundcloud as my main source to seeking out new and relatively unknown quality type music.
But I guess then I'm digressing a little from your main point...

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-03 19:13:09

I personally don't have an issue with finding good music on Soundcloud, so I don't really understand the beef here. O-o

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music.

[✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans.

Moving up the ladder.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-03 19:30:20

only follow people who post good music then, not exactly rocket science!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-03 20:23:35

DM me if you want a review!

BBS Signature

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-03 22:54:40

i have also found lots of crap - but thats because its a free platform and most people are not professionals / lots of them are talent-free :D

BUT:
I really have found a few extraordinary badass ultra super talented people there.
Like Bspendlove said: It depends who you follow.

BBS Signature

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-04 00:06:46

At 2/3/14 06:40 PM, sandordude wrote: Yeah, it's true that there's some good songs.. but you find them like once a week. Like finding something useful in a trash can.

So it's exactly like newgrounds, then.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-04 01:23:16

I don't really like using Soundcloud, I thought about utilizing it for music/future projects and such, but it's damn laggy on any browser I use with it. And takes like 30 seconds to close. I don't know if that's just me or what, but I just stick with NG portal.

I wouldn't say it's all crap though, I found some nice artists in my short time there.

Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?

Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-04 01:46:19

Soundcloud doesn't have a higher ratio of "crap" than NG does.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-04 06:33:12

At 2/4/14 01:46 AM, Lethal-Input wrote: Soundcloud doesn't have a higher ratio of "crap" than NG does.

All the free music sites have the same members: Normal people who want to be creative and start their projects. There are always some good guys everywhere to find and also others.

But the approach of soundcloud is a little bit different. I think its better is you do complex world music / band live recordings / classical music interpretations and stuff like that. If you know what you are looking for on soundcloud you really can find absolutely awesome artists with the ability to become a superstar on their fields. Example:

https://soundcloud.com/rafi-wazir

He is definitely one of the persons i have met so far who i really admire. Check out what he did- Thats really awesome. He is absolutely amazing with gypsy guitar, classical piano works and also an ultra hightrained and talented violinist. He coveres tracks, writes lots of new tracks, rearranges stuff and also just interpretes.

I think one of the differences between NG and SoundCloud is, that you can market your stuff quite selective by sharing it to special groups. Another point: Zerobombing on NG is destructive. Thats something which discouraged a lot of really good people from using NG :(
If a piece on NG is not liked by the members within the first week and gets into the weekly / monthly / frontsite feature contents, then its quite probable that almost noone will listen to it in the future. On Soundcloud lots of my listeners started to view / share / comment a track a long time after i submitted it.

Every platform has got its advantages / disadvantages. Thats why i think it has no sence to try to think in categories like better / worse. They are all good in their own way.

Peace :D

BBS Signature

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-04 07:12:42

I don't see how soundcloud is different than any public platform on internet.
Payola was replaced with bots and fake views/listen; people, when lazy, will trust big numbers as a possible hint for quality, only to get disappointed most of the time. Still, they contributed to promote crap.
That way, crap stays #1. Nothing unusual.

Fortunately, treasures are hidden in plain sight, they just take time to be discovered.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-04 22:51:09

At 2/3/14 03:26 PM, sandordude wrote: Have you guys noticed that there's just crap on Soundcloud? At least everything related to techno and electronic music. It's as if it was a trend.. the crappier the better. It's just randomly generated mixtapes with a few UMZ UMZ UMZ, some hi-hat and 3 or 4 notes. Not to mention the fully-filtered images of a hipster girl jumping on grass and the titles that make no sense. I like minimal, I really do.. but this is far beyond this genre. What's your opinion on this?

who gives a fuck really, that's my honest opinion. music wasn't meant to please the audience. it's a way of expression. as artsy fartsy as that sounds, it's true. i found some things on soundcloud to be absolutely appalling, but i find the beauty in the music because they felt the need to create that combination of sounds. and i may get hated for this, but, anyone with a brain can sit in front of a computer equipped with fl studio, ableton, or whatever software and make "music". make music with the heart, even if it's ugly as fuck, it has it's meaning.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-05 06:37:40

At 2/4/14 10:51 PM, deadbea7 wrote:
At 2/3/14 03:26 PM, sandordude wrote: Have you guys noticed that there's just crap on Soundcloud? At least everything related to techno and electronic music. It's as if it was a trend.. the crappier the better. It's just randomly generated mixtapes with a few UMZ UMZ UMZ, some hi-hat and 3 or 4 notes. Not to mention the fully-filtered images of a hipster girl jumping on grass and the titles that make no sense. I like minimal, I really do.. but this is far beyond this genre. What's your opinion on this?
who gives a fuck really, that's my honest opinion. music wasn't meant to please the audience. it's a way of expression. as artsy fartsy as that sounds, it's true. i found some things on soundcloud to be absolutely appalling, but i find the beauty in the music because they felt the need to create that combination of sounds. and i may get hated for this, but, anyone with a brain can sit in front of a computer equipped with fl studio, ableton, or whatever software and make "music". make music with the heart, even if it's ugly as fuck, it has it's meaning.

The meaning isn't going to be perceived if it's still the samey stuff. Everyone will get exasperated with it at the end of the day. There are two types of combinations of sounds: music and noise. Distinguish the two, and we're fine. The problem is, some people just cannot distinguish the two that they have to make some crappy-sounding thing and pass it off as music. Music gets its recognition because it is PLEASING to the ears.

In fact, let's see if you're gonna say the same thing once you see Omegeist's playlist of the worst music on Newgrounds.

To the OP: Thing is, Newgrounds, YouTube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, they're all going to have the same problem. There's crappy stuff that gets passed off as music, and then there's actual music. Finding the user that makes the right music is going to take forever and a day. But it's worth it. Unlike NG, which is fairly small, YouTube, Soundcloud and Bandcamp are all saturated with users. As a result, you don't know who does the good stuff among a sea of bad. But once you DO find them, they are worth their weight in gold.

Personally, I have a few favourites on SC -- video game music, prog rock, and Irish folk (including bodhrán solos). You just gotta know what you're looking for in the search bar.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-05 21:28:24

At 2/5/14 06:37 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 2/4/14 10:51 PM, deadbea7 wrote:
At 2/3/14 03:26 PM, sandordude wrote:
The meaning isn't going to be perceived if it's still the samey stuff. Everyone will get exasperated with it at the end of the day. There are two types of combinations of sounds: music and noise. Distinguish the two, and we're fine. The problem is, some people just cannot distinguish the two that they have to make some crappy-sounding thing and pass it off as music. Music gets its recognition because it is PLEASING to the ears.

In fact, let's see if you're gonna say the same thing once you see Omegeist's playlist of the worst music on Newgrounds.

To the OP: Thing is, Newgrounds, YouTube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, they're all going to have the same problem. There's crappy stuff that gets passed off as music, and then there's actual music. Finding the user that makes the right music is going to take forever and a day. But it's worth it. Unlike NG, which is fairly small, YouTube, Soundcloud and Bandcamp are all saturated with users. As a result, you don't know who does the good stuff among a sea of bad. But once you DO find them, they are worth their weight in gold.

Personally, I have a few favourites on SC -- video game music, prog rock, and Irish folk (including bodhrán solos). You just gotta know what you're looking for in the search bar.

first of all, who makes a playlist of shitty music? second of all, more than half of those "songs" are either parodies or literally noises and that's completely irrelevant to the what op is saying.

if you really want to hear new music, pandora (or some other internet radio) is a good place to discover stuff. but if you know what you're looking for, soundcloud is a pretty rad place to go.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-06 03:53:26

At 2/5/14 09:28 PM, deadbea7 wrote: first of all, who makes a playlist of shitty music? second of all, more than half of those "songs" are either parodies or literally noises and that's completely irrelevant to the what op is saying.

That, my dear, was relevant to what you were saying. Which is why I addressed the last two paragraphs to the OP. Read your conversations carefully.

if you really want to hear new music, pandora (or some other internet radio) is a good place to discover stuff. but if you know what you're looking for, soundcloud is a pretty rad place to go.

Very true about SC. I haven't checked out Pandora yet. Also, how good is last.fm now? I am curious.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-06 06:00:08

At 2/6/14 03:53 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
Very true about SC. I haven't checked out Pandora yet. Also, how good is last.fm now? I am curious.

i haven't tried last.fm yet. i've got too many sources of music. but i hear itunes radio isn't bad at all.

Response to Soundcloud 2014-02-06 10:39:31

Yeah, like all of the music I listen to I found on Soundcloud.

Considering it's mostly Trap and Breakcore, you can make your own decision of whether it's good or not.