TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 11:31 AM Reply

Check your account page to see if you're on the voting panel to select the Best of January!

So a couple of important notices:

1) As many of you know, we've been having massive problems with Cogent, our bandwidth provider, resulting in Newgrounds running poorly since May of last year. We recently improved our situation with a Content Delivery Network but then Cogent did some sort of re-routing that negated those benefits. That got solved this weekend (for now) but today our Content Delivery Network is having problems, so Newgrounds is running slow as balls. Basically the Internet is falling apart.

2) We've been ramping up a new pre-roll ad system to run in front of movies and games. We are expanding the scope of the ad calls today to get a better idea of what our potential is. As the fill rates on videos improve, we'll be working to disable pre-roll videos that are built into Flash submissions hosted on Newgrounds, so you don't get double hit. Right now you may encounter situations where you get a video ad from Newgrounds followed by a video ad built into the Flash.... Sorry about that. We really want to make this system work because it will result in better quality ads and higher payouts for artists and developers.

This is a bumpy period but we're making hard choices towards a better future for NG, so hope you can tough it out with us!

I should also note that supporters help keep NG going and won't see the new pre-roll ads we are running, in addition to not seeing banners and other ads on the page.

Some positive news, Bcadren is working on a Unity version of the NG API! His code is public and he's interested in help.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 11:36 AM Reply

All righty. I haven't noticed any slowness yet, but I'll stay alert and note any problems I encounter.

'Cause you're feeding the fire within me...
Twitter | NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011

BBS Signature
Pop-Tart
Pop-Tart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Animator
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 11:38 AM Reply

Keep your head up, brother. We appreciate your hard work to keep this community around for its users!

I'm going to become a supporter right now!

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 2/3/14 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: We recently improved our situation with a Content Delivery Network but then Cogent did some sort of re-routing that negated those benefits.

Negated the benefits for everyone or just verizon internet people?

Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 11:46 AM Reply

So there's finally ads for the MP4 portal? NEAT!

Seeing everyone is going mobile that seems like a bit of a must. I miss the cool preloader menus though. People got really creative with those.
Oh well.

I haven't checked out the submission page for the video ads, but I'll get into it when I get some free time to animate!

If I would hypothetically get a supporter thingy. Can I turn the ads back on? Or is it completely ad-less?

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 11:50 AM Reply

Paying that NG supporter fee is SO worth it. I had actually forgotten what the ads looked like until one day when I had to re-log in. Sure, ads are a necessity to keep things running, but DAMN...no ads on the page for $25 a year? No regrets.

kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 11:58 AM Reply

well I don't know if I can give you any feedback because im using the internet on my phone so i can't really watch flash or play games but i can probably play music and i can look at art.but yea it'll be a little slow on my phone but not too slow.
Now to the voting it all seems hard to choose.
Hope you all get things sorted out.
Also durring this time without the bandwidth provide thingy will NG experience any downtime ?

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature
zuper21
zuper21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:08 PM Reply

I never notice anything wrong ith the internet, well only the time when newgrounds was down

Zuper Account User

YomToxic
YomToxic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:12 PM Reply

It's indeed a sad day when you gotta put video ads for content. But it's still good to see you putting up a good fight; anyone with less resolve would just throw their arms up and quit the internet forever. It's a difficult time for an American to be on the internet - we know that.

Kudos for almost 20 years of non-stop Newgrounds, and here's to another 20 years of Newgrounds; I for one, hope that this video ad stint is a short one, and that you find a better content provider/hoster than what we have now.

Pop-Tart
Pop-Tart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Animator
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 2/3/14 11:38 AM, Pop-Tart wrote: I'm going to become a supporter right now!

This is MUCH better. Highly recommend it to everyone.

Belgarion1891
Belgarion1891
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:15 PM Reply

well whatever you have done has broken the game i play on NewGrounds, Dawn Of The Dragons, all i get is a blck screen with the text "Loading" in the top left hand corner :(

AP-Queen
AP-Queen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:21 PM Reply

I can longer load any RPG games here since this update. Dawn of the Dragons, Kingdoms CCG or Dragon Pals. All get stuck at the very first loading screen. http://prntscr.com/2p62do

I made a post in forums regarding this issue. http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1360128

Please help!

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:33 PM Reply

Newgrounds Unity API? This makes me very happy.

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:39 PM Reply

Keep fightin' the good fight :)

rexlakio
rexlakio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 12:57 PM Reply

At 2/3/14 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: Some positive news, Bcardren is working on a Unity version of the NG API! His code is public and he's interested in help.

There's no Unity on Linux :(

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 01:01 PM Reply

Don't fall to the slime, guys!

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 01:29 PM Reply

Sweet! Even though I'm not a supporter and I hate video ads, I'm actually looking forward to this!

(I've whitelisted NG)

Say, tom, when's the "file size" feature re-appearing? I've been kind of missing it, due to bandwidth caps and the like.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 02:01 PM Reply

I saw he was adding some Unity stuff to the API part of the wiki with Bren's help but I didn't know he was going to help so much. This is great for all the Unity devs out there.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 02:09 PM Reply

At 2/3/14 11:46 AM, Damien wrote: If I would hypothetically get a supporter thingy. Can I turn the ads back on? Or is it completely ad-less?

Right now there is no option to re-enable.

BBS Signature
peanutbuttermuffin
peanutbuttermuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 02:18 PM Reply

I can't play crystal saga have been trying all morning, and i cant play from official site because servers arent merged but i'd rather play on here anyway, i just really want to play been putting 10+ hours all weekend and i would like to continue to do so, i really like ng been on it for years jus made my acc though and ik i dont like or comment much or w/e but i still get on an look at stuff so please fix the crystal saga portal as soon as possible i know many people that arre also facing this difficulty and would like it fixed

NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 2/3/14 11:43 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 2/3/14 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: We recently improved our situation with a Content Delivery Network but then Cogent did some sort of re-routing that negated those benefits.
Negated the benefits for everyone or just verizon internet people?

Probably just Verizon people. I have AT&T and Newgrounds seems to be working fine with me. Though, my phone is on Verizon Wireless, and it seems to work good on their network as well.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Our CDN appears to be running better at the moment... How are things running for you guys now?

BBS Signature
P5YCH3D3L1CSamurai
P5YCH3D3L1CSamurai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 03:58 PM Reply

At 2/3/14 11:50 AM, KyleRoberts wrote: Paying that NG supporter fee is SO worth it. I had actually forgotten what the ads looked like until one day when I had to re-log in. Sure, ads are a necessity to keep things running, but DAMN...no ads on the page for $25 a year? No regrets.

I definitely need to be a supporter soon. I've been using Newgrounds for quite a few years now, but I recently made one set account I'll use for everything. I've been checking daily alot recently as well. Nice to hear the fee is worth it!

Video Ads, Performance News, Unity

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 2/3/14 03:56 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 2/3/14 03:55 PM, TomFulp wrote: Our CDN appears to be running better at the moment... How are things running for you guys now?
dump files load really slow for some reason

Those aren't being cached with the CDN so that is probably it.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 05:03 PM Reply

even though im a three year supporter I would really like the option to re-enable ads so NG still gets ad revenue.

Pink-Ninja
Pink-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 05:04 PM Reply

Luckily I still haven't experienced any issues this end. Keep up the great work Tom, NG will always overcome!

*Sshhh... I'm an NSA spy bot

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 05:51 PM Reply

At 2/3/14 05:03 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: even though im a three year supporter I would really like the option to re-enable ads so NG still gets ad revenue.

Don't the normal site cookies = ads running? Or do the pictures need to load for @tomfulp to make a buck?

Maybe after the snow clears off the trees, I'll be able to give a more reliable review... I'm doing pretty good for snagging wireless G from 300 feet away, but the tree between me and the signal is holding plenty of snow atm.

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
keepwalking
keepwalking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 06:22 PM Reply

I really love how you Tom and your team always are at the front line trying to improve and save newgrounds despite the odds, dropping financial situation, and adaptations that the website needs to go through almost every single time. It shows how much love and care you have for this place and it's community, and I really admire you guys for doing that, simply because any other webmaster CEO would just dropped and sell everything as fast as they could, I know it because I have seen it happening too many times, and I thought that at some point it could happend to this website.

It was a really sad thought that crossed my mind several times, because I have no intention to have this website closed, in fact I really hope NG goes on forever, and I hope thats not a utopia. I remember talking to friendly NG users when NG was on its best moment in 2008, and I was still a newly born newgrounder saying "I will reach the front page and the top 50 one day!" and he saying "I hope you really do, and I will also do my best to get there!", and when I finally got there, Im not going to lie about it, I jumped like a little 6 year old girl saying "I did it!, I did it!" staring at the screen and not believing what was happening. Much happines, and so much rewards for my efforts were paid that day.

That is just a small part of what NG is for me, there is a hole experience behind.

I thought that sharing my personal view of the website and pointing out good and bad aspects could help you get a new perspective of the website specially from a user point of view.

I think there are 3 types of websites going around the internet these days.
Websites that purely viral and comercial: YouTube
Websites that promote indie animators and game devs: Armor Games, Kongregate
Websites that induce users to share everything: Printerest, Reddit

Where is newgrounds you may ask?, it's between these three.

I have seen lots of improvements on every single aspect of the website, from sharing assets, to revenue aspects, to mobile adaptation, and format conversion, and even creating more tools for all the indie animators and developers that are starting their own projects, making this website a home for them. But from my own perspective something is unbalanced. When I share something from newgrounds I have basically no response on any social website, and I actually asked them if they saw what I shared, but they response was that they were sent to a strange website, so they didnt understand what was going on and closed the window (was actually quite funny).

I remember you Tom saying NG was a huge bubble, and I believe the previously mentioned is one of the reasons it still is. NG is a great place for its own comunity having customized backgrounds for each section, cool header textures and effects(wich I love), but tries to be a user friendly place for everyone outside its community at the same time, being competitive with a youtube-ish shareig, and compatibility skills. We all hate youtube and I also do, but why did it bacame so big and strong over the years?, I remember youtube in the early years as a small fancy website for weird stuff. So what happened?

They took another road for it, and it was the viral road, and the viral road is just the content for the sake of the content regardless of the aspect of the place that holds it, and that is throwing away customization, and customization is what we have today here at NG.
They made it simple and easier to find quality content, and recommend the right stuff almost 80% of the time. And that is something NG lacks a little bit, not for its own community, but for the outside users. Every single one of us knows the featured material is good, because you Tom and your crew picked them, but outside users dont know about this and they just see icons with titles. The sorting tools also lack precision, and the search engine doesnt always throw the most relevant or popular content but simply the closest to the word you wrote.

I dont have an answer for wich way NG should go, but I will follow it whichever it is.

Please dont take this as a harrassment, these are my thoughts as a website designer and developer.

I really hope things get better from now on, I think the video ads will improve a LOT the economy of the website and will bring new users to our community.

Singing Out...

-Keep

Marauderchief
Marauderchief
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Video Ads, Performance News, Unity Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Yeah... Good to know... Ever since my donation ad-removal bonus expired i've been off NG due to the Ads ruining the flash vids and audio portal.

BBS Signature