00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who here uses guitar to write music

1,030 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I find using the guitar to write music even though you may play another instrument or all instruments to be a crucial part to writing music.

It's a very lyrical and expressive instrument to play and I believe that if one who writes learns to play it they will find their musical writing abilities increase.

Thoughts?

BBS Signature

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-02 23:18:06

I actually write more songs based on guitar on piano... in fact, most of my songs start from piano in some form.

That said, I have also written electronic/orchestral songs based on guitar riffs before as well.

While I do think knowing how to play an instrument can greatly help inspiration and creativity, I don't believe any one instrument is better than any other for such a purpose. Coming from someone who plays guitar, piano, drums, vocals, sax, clarinet, and well... just about anything I can get my hands on.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-02 23:40:50

Well put. Piano and guitar seem to talk well.

BBS Signature

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-03 02:35:59

At 2/2/14 11:12 PM, RufusTheMighty wrote: I find using the guitar to write music even though you may play another instrument or all instruments to be a crucial part to writing music.

It's a very lyrical and expressive instrument to play and I believe that if one who writes learns to play it they will find their musical writing abilities increase.

Thoughts?

I write some of my songs with the guitar, but I actually like to write songs with my head. :P... I mean before I start playing some ringy-ding-dongs on the guitar, I try to picture what I want to write in my head. What feeling I want the song to have, rythms, melodies and things like that.

Sometimes I even record some rythm or melody ideas with my voice and work around them. I find, when I write only with the guitar, I tend to be repetitive and boring, so I mostly try to play the things I hear in my head, rather than just play the things my hand wants to play :D

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-03 03:30:13

I happen to be able to do the same....... with the piano.

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-03 03:31:51

At 2/3/14 03:30 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I happen to be able to do the same....... with the piano.

I want to add a little more -- I sometimes wish I could do the same by just picking up the bodhrán, improvising and singing. I haven't come to that point, but hopefully I might, soon....

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-03 05:10:29

I love writting with guitar, but lately I've also been using my bass, I just find that when I lay down just the basics with a bass it's easier for melodies and ideas to pop out in my head, because it has to do the rest of the work.

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-03 05:13:09

It's weird, I find that I write very differently with guitar than I do with piano. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. So sometimes if I'm not happy with the melodies I'm coming up with on my keyboard (or if they're sounding too similar to things I've done before), then I'll pick up a guitar and start playing around, and things might come out more like what I'm aiming for.
I think it helps to try out instruments you're unfamiliar with too. Then you're more likely to make some cool mistakes!

I seriously agree with InYourDreams though. I reckon coming up with music in your head first, and perhaps recording with voice, is well ace. With guitar or piano, I can always see what scales and keys I'm using and my fingers seem to want to consider all the rules. In my head I do what I want, and I'm not held back by my ability on the instrument either, so there's a much higher chance of coming up with something freshhh. I should really write like that more often haha.

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-04 16:20:11

Yeah I agree with Purgatory on this one. You can start a song on pretty any instrument you'd like, I just find that 99% of my music starts off as a melody (or chord progression) I wrote on the piano. Also helps having a piano that can be set to play a multitude of instruments; that can really help to inspire creativity :D

Response to Who here uses guitar to write music 2014-02-06 19:18:35

I find that lots of different rhythms, chord progressions, and general atmospheres changed based on whether I wrote on a bass, guitar, keyboard, off of lyrics, or a sequencer, point-and-click style. I say try them all, combine the results that might blend well. I've personally gotten the best results writing for lyrics than anything else. But I guess you could technically say you're still picking an instrument to write with.

too much ganj rite now

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature