00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Gift Of Literature

404 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Gift Of Literature 2014-01-29 18:16:49

I am filled with anticipation.
I am tempted to look ahead.

I am never lonely with my paperbacks.

The sun shines across the pages on a sunny day.
My mind is racing as I take in every word
My whole being is absorbed into the pages, into new worlds.

Perhaps today I'll be in a magical kingdom
Full of dragons, elves, and magic.
Or maybe I'll travel back in time
to the life of an infamous monarch.
Maybe I'll witness heart-break
I might witness betrayal.
I might see a newly found hope.
What could lie just around the corner,
What could occur on the next page?

Eventually, I have to surface
Though much too soon.
I am forced to come back into reality with a jolt.
But, a comforting thought always reassures me:

I can always go back.
I have eternity in my hands.

I am always free to escape, to imagine, to dream, to wonder, to love, in my books.
I feel the emotions vividly
The characters are flesh and blood.

To know.
To learn.
To understand.
It's a gift that I could never repay.

I appreciate any sort of criticism on my writing; please, anything will make my day.

~Be Real

Response to The Gift Of Literature 2014-01-29 21:23:18

This is simply an ode, and so has a very clear purpose: to express feeling. Everything else is secondary. It could have been a bit more vivid but you tackle it pretty well. It's escaping to another world, reading. You can be anyone, anywhere. No holds bar, anything can happen. It's trading away this world for a new one. Do you realize the power literature holds? It can and has started wars yet it has helped millions upon millions if not billions in ways both small and large. It is an immense gift, indeed.

Whoops, I got a little sidetracked. I guess that you wanted to show how literature has brought joy to this one person (you, I'm guessing) but it's effects on just one person are only a tiny fraction of a fraction of literature's power. Maybe that's why I felt like there could have been more. But maybe that's also proof that I'm asking too much. If this is literature's gift to our narrator, what could it possibly have for you?

The kind of poem that needed to be written. It probably already has been written but it needed to be written by you. I could tell.

Yeah I know what I said earlier, but it was a slow day on the writing forums. Might as well.

Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.