00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Are We Gamers Today Spoiled?

1,329 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 16:00:54

Is it the company or is it us? Or is it both?

Gamers are becoming more and more verbally aggressive against companies for various reasons. Some are understandable and some are for the wrong reasons. Usually it's because of the game's flaws or they don't just like it at all. It seems like any company who makes a mistake on their latest game or console people start going out on a outcry about it. And then there is console wars and I guess game wars, if the second one actually exists, where people feel to need to make their opinions into facts when in the end it's still an opinion. It can be either Xbox vs. PlayStation or Battlefield vs. Call Of Duty. But what am I really trying to say is will we still see this entitled, unimpressed, ungrateful attitude we see out of gamers? I know we are in this era where gaming finally made it in the great world of media entertainment but it's incredible to see that gamers complain about almost everything in existence.

I grew up playing games starting with the genesis back then you could get a game and play it probably even go back multiple times. We didn't need updates or friends or online. We played the game cause it was fun or just entertaining.
I remember back when complaining didn't really matter or even opinions, sure you can say if the game was good or not but creating a petition because of some character didn't make it into the next installment is not gonna help. Yes I know we are the consumer, therefore we have the ability to voice our opinion on being displeased with the end results, but truthfully speaking, if you don’t like it because it didn’t live up to your exceptions don't voice it out like you are some politic.

I admit I had my far share of rants against a game or company but I sometimes keep it to myself and not allow it to get the best of me. I realize that companies and corporations can be greedy and won't change the way they make and manage their games but is it really gonna help if you keep talking about it? As long as you still talk about them on the internet the more ways they can rip off customers or find some other cheapish scheme to get them more money. It's either you buy it or you don't. Then there is companies who makes everyone happy and then make a minor mistake making everyone go on strike. Exaggeration? Yes but really who wouldn't be surprised? You can't change everyone but there is one point where you're gonna have to say to yourself "Maybe I went off to brash about them and they made a mistake." Some developers work their asses off to make a good quality game. Imagine if you were that developer who went to make a game for 5 years or maybe 4 and the game finally released and a lot of basement dwellers start complaining over how the ending was or direction you were going for the franchise? No fun at all.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 16:49:23

They should remind themself and repeat to themselfs that it's just a game and that need to relax.

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 17:26:50

Companies aren't entitled to your money.

If there's something you dislike about a game, no matter how insignificant or petty, then you're 100% correct in voicing that opinion. Video games are supposed to be fun, so it doesn't matter how stupid the thing that is stopping them being fun for you is, you don't have to buy them. Don't like the colour of Dante's hair? Don't buy the game. The developers can bitch and moan about how you're being "entitled", but fuck them, if that's something that matters to you don't give them your cash.

Nothing gives me greater joy that watching a developer continually shit all over their fans during the developmental process, and then being surprised when their game doesn't sell. We've reached a stage where development is much more transparent, and consumer feedback is much more prevalent than it's ever been in the past. Devs can't get away with the sort of stuff they used to pull, and instead of shaping up and dealing with it, they blame the customer for not putting up with their bullshit.

I'm not going to wade through an ocean of shit to get to the thing I like when I can just go elsewhere.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 17:34:21

We're not ”spoiled” in that sense. Companies nowadays have just been making shitty games and milking them. We have garbage like Bioshock Infinite, yearly rehashes, microtransactions, and even MULTIPLE season passes. The only way gamers are spoiled now is that they can't handle bad graphics, old gameplay mechanics, or actual difficulty. Good games are far and few between now, and it's only getting worse.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 17:38:24

At 1/28/14 05:34 PM, Stretchysumo wrote: We're not ”spoiled” in that sense. Companies nowadays have just been making shitty games and milking them. We have garbage like Bioshock Infinite, yearly rehashes, microtransactions, and even MULTIPLE season passes. The only way gamers are spoiled now is that they can't handle bad graphics, old gameplay mechanics, or actual difficulty. Good games are far and few between now, and it's only getting worse.

except everything of what you just said has mostly always existed in some form and it was worse in the past than it is now.

filler text

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 17:41:31

At 1/28/14 05:01 PM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: Most gamers sicken me, really. Let me put it this way, I nitpick a lot of things with games I play, but I'll never say a game down right sucks because "HE HAS GREEN EYES!" or "The ending clearly showed the don't care about the fans" as that's dumb. They're not criticisms, either.
There are very few games that I legitimately feel are bad. Probably a single digit, now that I think about it. Gamers just want to find an excuse to bash a game that they may not have even played. It's basically ignorance.
It's like people just don't know how to appreciate most things in this medium, and that genuinely bothers.

Maybe you just have low standards. I don't just eat up whatever devs shit out and call everyone else entitled because they don't like it. Most games now have incredibly shallow gameplay. Also, if a game's main focus is the story and has mediocore gameplay, devs shitting all over the established story is absolutely a valid complaint.

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 17:45:43

At 1/28/14 04:00 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Is it the company or is it us? Or is it both?

You could say it's both, but the majority of the blame goes to the gamers themselves.

Gamers are becoming more and more verbally aggressive against companies for various reasons. Some are understandable and some are for the wrong reasons. Usually it's because of the game's flaws or they don't just like it at all. It seems like any company who makes a mistake on their latest game or console people start going out on a outcry about it. And then there is console wars and I guess game wars, if the second one actually exists, where people feel to need to make their opinions into facts when in the end it's still an opinion. It can be either Xbox vs. PlayStation or Battlefield vs. Call Of Duty. But what am I really trying to say is will we still see this entitled, unimpressed, ungrateful attitude we see out of gamers? I know we are in this era where gaming finally made it in the great world of media entertainment but it's incredible to see that gamers complain about almost everything in existence.

Part of it has to do with the growth of online gamers, and the perpetual stereotype that online gamers (and gamers in general) are foul-mouthed kids who spout racist sentiments as a joke. Another part of it is that the video game industry has rapidly grown the last 10 or 15 years, and with that more games are coming into the market, specifically targeted towards those who grew up playing games and wanted a more mature and "realistic" style of gaming, and in turn created a backlash against it.

Because of games like Call of Duty and Battlefield being as big as they are, some gamers make the accusation that all the recognizable games are only shooters despite the fact that there a ton of games out there that they don't seem to notice. So what if shooters are popular? They're not the only genre that is available by far, and to knock on them because of this speaks of jealousy and basically encourage gamers to play these games in the first place. The ideal argument is to let gamers play what they want to play and don't bitch about the ones that they don't like, but it seems like that message is getting lost in the mail.

I grew up playing games starting with the genesis back then you could get a game and play it probably even go back multiple times. We didn't need updates or friends or online. We played the game cause it was fun or just entertaining.

There really isn't much of a difference once you strip it down, and considering that a lot of the online friends and updates aren't required to play most games as is, it's possible to enjoy games and not get online at all.

I remember back when complaining didn't really matter or even opinions, sure you can say if the game was good or not but creating a petition because of some character didn't make it into the next installment is not gonna help. Yes I know we are the consumer, therefore we have the ability to voice our opinion on being displeased with the end results, but truthfully speaking, if you don’t like it because it didn’t live up to your exceptions don't voice it out like you are some politic.

I understand why fans would do this because they care about the franchises in one way or another, especially when social media boomed the last decade or so gave them a platform to speak their opinions. The problem is that some of them want to use it as a crutch to bitch and moan about games that they probably don't even like, much less play, and then attempt to play politics with games and gamers into a monolith where we agree on the issues.

I admit I had my far share of rants against a game or company but I sometimes keep it to myself and not allow it to get the best of me. I realize that companies and corporations can be greedy and won't change the way they make and manage their games but is it really gonna help if you keep talking about it?

You would think so, but the thing is gamers as a whole are about as diverse of opinions as any other medium, but the majority of gamers themselves either like they have to offer, or just don't care and just want to play games politics be damned. It doesn't help that the vocal minority (and some of the more ignorant and hipster) want to do something that is either impossible or illogical, and the worst thing is that they expect others to fully agree with that, despite the fact that I've just mentioned that the gaming community are not a monolith, and it upsets me that they would try to force their opinions on me, and most of the developers and publishers who aren't in the business of kissing their ass, but making games that they want to make.

As long as you still talk about them on the internet the more ways they can rip off customers or find some other cheapish scheme to get them more money. It's either you buy it or you don't. Then there is companies who makes everyone happy and then make a minor mistake making everyone go on strike. Exaggeration? Yes but really who wouldn't be surprised? You can't change everyone but there is one point where you're gonna have to say to yourself "Maybe I went off to brash about them and they made a mistake." Some developers work their asses off to make a good quality game. Imagine if you were that developer who went to make a game for 5 years or maybe 4 and the game finally released and a lot of basement dwellers start complaining over how the ending was or direction you were going for the franchise? No fun at all.

When you try to please everyone, you please no one. That said however, no one should be saying that publishers/developers don't listen to their fans and critics, because they do, and if anything, they seem to listen to them too much. There are so many unpleasable dumbasses out there that think they know anything about the video game industry, it's getting harder and harder to for them to recognize legitimate complaints and suggestions, which is partly why they make what they make to appeal to a broader audience, and not cave in to those who aren't satisfied with a franchise before and won't be in the future. Honestly, I'd rather have it that way than developers doing something that they aren't wholly familiar with, and make a shitty game because of it.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 17:46:12

At 1/28/14 05:38 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
At 1/28/14 05:34 PM, Stretchysumo wrote: We're not ”spoiled” in that sense. Companies nowadays have just been making shitty games and milking them. We have garbage like Bioshock Infinite, yearly rehashes, microtransactions, and even MULTIPLE season passes. The only way gamers are spoiled now is that they can't handle bad graphics, old gameplay mechanics, or actual difficulty. Good games are far and few between now, and it's only getting worse.
except everything of what you just said has mostly always existed in some form and it was worse in the past than it is now.

No. There has always been shit games, but now almost everything is trying to be CoD. The excessive jewing with season passes, microtransactions, etc. was introduced 7th gen. To say it isn't worse than ever is just ignorant and makes me think you started games 7th gen.

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 17:49:34

At 1/28/14 05:46 PM, Stretchysumo wrote:
No. There has always been shit games, but now almost everything is trying to be CoD. The excessive jewing with season passes, microtransactions, etc. was introduced 7th gen. To say it isn't worse than ever is just ignorant and makes me think you started games 7th gen.

They've had the form of dlc for a long time in the form of expansion packs, and three of the games by the person your avatar is of has so many microtransactions.

also what are you suggesting about how games are trying to be Call Of Duty with DLC? I've played games nearly my entire life since the N64 era, I didn't recently start 2 years ago.

filler text

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 18:09:11

At 1/28/14 05:49 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:

everything of what you just said has mostly always existed in some form and it was worse in the past than it is now.

They've had the form of dlc for a long time in the form of expansion packs, and three of the games by the person your avatar is of has so many microtransactions.

also what are you suggesting about how games are trying to be Call Of Duty with DLC? I've played games nearly my entire life since the N64 era, I didn't recently start 2 years ago.

Ok, since you only started 2 years ago I'll explain. Expansion packs had a lot of content that justified the price. ”DLC” is usually not much content sold for a stupid amount. Compare Shivering Isles to something like the BL2 season pass. You get more out of the expansion pack for a third of the price. The games gabe made with microtransactions were also relatively recent and I'm not defending them. What I mean about games trying to be CoD is this. 2 weapon limit, aim down sights, sprint button, regenerating health, linear with lots of scripted events.

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 18:50:47

At 1/28/14 06:09 PM, Stretchysumo wrote:
everything of what you just said has mostly always existed in some form and it was worse in the past than it is now.

Ok, since you only started 2 years ago I'll explain. Expansion packs had a lot of content that justified the price. ”DLC” is usually not much content sold for a stupid amount. Compare Shivering Isles to something like the BL2 season pass. You get more out of the expansion pack for a third of the price. The games gabe made with microtransactions were also relatively recent and I'm not defending them. What I mean about games trying to be CoD is this. 2 weapon limit, aim down sights, sprint button, regenerating health, linear with lots of scripted events.

nah, expansion packs could be short or have small content, look at civ iv; warlords which only added a couple of gameplay mechanics and was originally somewhere around 10-20$ (I can't remember.) Another example would be the HL episodes, which I think are considered to be expansion packs to HL2 as well as stand-alones, and they only offer a few new hours of gameplay and were priced at 20$ (this was more of a problem with episode 1 as episode 2 came bundled)

Also, a lot of dlc is pretty decent content, that new dlc for AC IV comes with around 10 hours of gameplay which isn't bad at all.

filler text

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 19:36:57

At 1/28/14 06:50 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
At 1/28/14 06:09 PM, Stretchysumo wrote:
nah, expansion packs could be short or have small content, look at civ iv; warlords which only added a couple of gameplay mechanics and was originally somewhere around 10-20$ (I can't remember.) Another example would be the HL episodes, which I think are considered to be expansion packs to HL2 as well as stand-alones, and they only offer a few new hours of gameplay and were priced at 20$ (this was more of a problem with episode 1 as episode 2 came bundled)

Also, a lot of dlc is pretty decent content, that new dlc for AC IV comes with around 10 hours of gameplay which isn't bad at all.

Not all DLC is bad. There's been plenty of worthwhile dlc. However, most dlc that comes out doesn't have much content. While bethesda does DLC right mostly, we also have $20 1 hour missions like the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect, and those little chunks of content are the norm for big companies. DLC has also been getting slowly more expensive. We went from $5 for 2 or 3 maps, to $10 for 3 or 4, to $15 for 3 or 4 maps. It's about price to content ratio, and it's been getting worse on average.

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-28 21:05:12

At 1/28/14 04:49 PM, argile wrote: They should remind themself and repeat to themselfs that it's just a game and that need to relax.

Just repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax"!

Are We Gamers Today Spoiled?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-29 21:38:59

Nice long rant, read every word 3x over.
I can't speak this from experience as I was born in 1996, but I would assume that if the internet had been around/as mainstream as it is today, people probably would have acted pretty similiar towards gaming.

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-29 21:58:47

I feel like the rant is mostly trying to express emotion than convince that this opinion is better. There are a lot of statements in it that are derogatory towards people who criticize modern games and several lines that are begging for no-brainer responses. Sure you grew up playing Pong or whatever but I didn't. Should that make my opinion be discredited? It sounds like you're suggesting that. Que anger and a need to take you down.

You may believe that people shouldn't take rants like these personally but some readers do take it personally and in order to be the most convincing you need to reach out to those people too. If you provoke people into debating with anger rather than reason you might win the minds of the audience but not the mind of your opponent. If you really think you can defend this opinion, be courteous to the opposing party. That way you not only get the undecided but also some moderates from the other side too. Of course, it can be harder to defend your own opinion.

Notice how I'm not actually commenting on the topic. I'd prefer to stay out of this, the water is way too hot for me.

Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-29 22:50:14

Gamers today aren't being spoiled, far from it. Large game developers are getting off with putting barely anything new or imaginative inside and just adding fancy graphics at the expense of their workers because they know the majority of gamers these days will buy anything and constantly buy the same exact game repeated countless times.

If you stop feeding at the trough it might be possible to actually get anyone other than indie developers to actually make something these days. Hell, even many of them are just doing the same thing but with more "retro" appeal.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-30 00:01:44

At 1/29/14 10:50 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Gamers today aren't being spoiled, far from it. Large game developers are getting off with putting barely anything new or imaginative inside and just adding fancy graphics at the expense of their workers because they know the majority of gamers these days will buy anything and constantly buy the same exact game repeated countless times.

Really, you just think it's that simple? The reason why these game developers do it is because there are a lot of fans who happen to enjoy what they make and are willing to spend the money to get said game, nothing really wrong with that. The problem is, unlike the past, where most video game makers were relatively unknown entities aside from Nintendo, today's gamers have things like social media and blog posts to talk about the games themselves along with the developers themselves using social media as well, and in some respects, they seem to be forced by a segment of the fans to produce certain games at a certain time because of this. I'm not saying that it happens that often, but even the mightiest of companies can still cave in to fan pressure.

And this is not including the fact that creativity and innovation are all subjective in the end, and using that logic, accusing them of not producing anything new or imaginative is largely inaccurate, because they are totally different games in their own right, even if they have similar mechanics or devices. In fact, they've been doing this for decades, and yet no one until the last couple of generations seem to acknowledge this.

Plus you've got to remember that the developers themselves generally know what they wanted to make beforehand, or at least during the development process, otherwise they wouldn't be wasting their time and money on a project. Even with that, they still can run into delays or even outright cancel a game altogether if they know a game itself is going to go nowhere.

If you stop feeding at the trough it might be possible to actually get anyone other than indie developers to actually make something these days.

Honestly, what kind of games are you playing then, and what exactly do you want them to do? At least for most of them, you can't say that they aren't trying something new, but it seems like people can't seem to notice this or are quick to dismiss them as the same thing, when it's not.

Hell, even many of them are just doing the same thing but with more "retro" appeal.

Retro-style games is NOT innovation at all, they're largely made to satisfy the nostalgia whores and the moody hipster gamer that has nothing better to do.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-30 05:20:42

To a certain degree I suppose we are, but quite frankly with the number of bigtime gaming companies that have been fucking up the way they are, and in such a massive contrast to what they had been doing earlier, its no suprise the gaming community is in an uproar. Take Capcom for example. They have been sitting on so many godlike franchises that they would only need to put in the slightest amount of effort, and they wouldve never even been put in the financial shithole they are currently in, nor would they have pissed everyone off to the point where everyone is swearing off their games for good.

Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.

Cheap Voice acting/Narrator voiceovers!

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-31 17:08:01

At 1/30/14 05:20 AM, Nithael wrote: To a certain degree I suppose we are, but quite frankly with the number of bigtime gaming companies that have been fucking up the way they are, and in such a massive contrast to what they had been doing earlier, its no suprise the gaming community is in an uproar. Take Capcom for example. They have been sitting on so many godlike franchises that they would only need to put in the slightest amount of effort, and they wouldve never even been put in the financial shithole they are currently in, nor would they have pissed everyone off to the point where everyone is swearing off their games for good.

Yeah I can understand that. But there can be also companies who puts 100% in their effort like Rockstar Games for an example, ever since GTA V came out everyone loved it and most people were waiting for multiplayer and it turned out to come out with a bad launch for multiplayer. It's still happening today because of how many people started to make the experience even worse by hacking and exploiting the game. Rockstar even addressed that the servers would be overloaded and could have some problems along with it. Ever since then people started boycotting GTA V online and I just think that's unfair. I don't know how games are today but I just see multiplayer as a side thing for games depending on whats strongest like Battlefield for multiplayer or Assassins Creed 4 for single player. Besides GTA was always a single player game experience I just think judging the game for its bad online launch doesn't make the whole game bad.

That's what also annoys me some people always put multiplayer at up first when the game wasn't really intended to have a strong multiplayer feature for the game, when a game that's purely based for single player sometimes the developers throw it in there for marketing purposes to get people interested in the varieties of things that can choose to do in the game. It was just for developers to say "Hey this game seems to play well for multiplayer, should we allow it in the game?".
But yes it can be criticized but if it serves more than the multiplayer then I will focus on what they mostly worked on. I mean come on any developer can build a multiplayer feature for a game.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-01-31 17:43:56

At 1/28/14 05:26 PM, TheMaster wrote: Companies aren't entitled to your money.

This in a fucking nutshell.
The company is nothing without their consumer base.

Gamers need to realize some things, however:
1) Your wallet caries more weight than your damn voice. While you're bitching @ the companies, come together as a consumer base and refuse to buy the product. Influence the sales.
And now-a-days, with let's plays and game reviewers playing the games on or before release dates and showing it via social media, the whole "Oh, I bought the game and expected better" excuse is gone.

2) Greatness takes time. There's alot of pressure on devs now-a-days, and if you want a very good game, then expect delays, loads of testing/beta phases, and more delays. Instead of asking for release dates, start asking about test dates and beta releases. Help the company to help you.

3) Are you sure you want to pre-order? Are you positive?
Example is Aliens: Colonial Mars.

Skynet is upon us.

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-02-02 09:42:44

At 1/31/14 05:43 PM, Ron-Geno wrote:
At 1/28/14 05:26 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Example is Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I had to fix that, it was just too hilarious.

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-02-02 10:48:06

At 2/2/14 09:42 AM, Nithael wrote:
At 1/31/14 05:43 PM, Ron-Geno wrote:
At 1/28/14 05:26 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Example is Aliens: Colonial Marines.
I had to fix that, it was just too hilarious.

Fuck you NG with no edit feature.
TY for the fix.

Skynet is upon us.

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-02-02 10:51:48

At 2/2/14 10:48 AM, Ron-Geno wrote:
Fuck you NG with no edit feature.
TY for the fix.

I know right? I understand that Tom doesnt want people to be able to just change their posts willy nilly considering what this forum is for, but god damn it gets annoying at times.

Response to Are We Gamers Today Spoiled? 2014-02-02 12:04:35

I actually think a lot of the 2d consoles are better than most 3d games now a days. I like pretty graphics, but there's some kind of charm to Nes, Snes, Genesis, and many 2d consoles that the 3d games don't have. Usually after I beat a 3d game I can't play it much afterwards because I lose interest in it pretty quickly. However, I could pick up a Nes or Atari game and still love it after playing it.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.