00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

A1MW123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Soundfont (.sf2) extraction

10,049 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Soundfont (.sf2) extraction 2014-01-28 11:33:44

I have some .sf2 files that I suppose carry several short wav loops to be used in programs like Impulse Tracker etc. as instruments.

I have had a great deal of difficulty finding a program that can break the soundfonts up into the wavs for me to then use in program. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Strong preference towards freeware or things with at least a fully functioning (for my purposes) trial period.

Thanks to anyone who can help out!

BBS Signature

Response to Soundfont (.sf2) extraction 2014-01-28 11:35:24

Additionally, I have came across a few .it files that are entire sample libraries that can be read in impulse/schism/etc. If I could convert the .sf2 into one of those it would be even better for my cause.

BBS Signature

Response to Soundfont (.sf2) extraction 2014-01-28 13:19:33

UPDATE:
I was able to get individual .SFZ files out of a soundfont...... but having the same trouble as before. I need to convert the .SFZ file into a WAV (or mp3 or flac or anything) but my research is coming up dry.

BBS Signature

Response to Soundfont (.sf2) extraction 2015-05-03 13:51:42

At 1/28/14 01:19 PM, Genclops wrote: UPDATE:
I was able to get individual .SFZ files out of a soundfont...... but having the same trouble as before. I need to convert the .SFZ file into a WAV (or mp3 or flac or anything) but my research is coming up dry.

I'm trying to do the same thing! I found some SNES .sf2's that I want to use in Schism Tracker. Did you ever find anything?

Response to Soundfont (.sf2) extraction 2015-05-07 00:08:04

To my knowledge, there's not a program that's capable of splitting up a soundfont into the individualized samples, and really, there would be no point in such a thing.
If you want to use the samples that make up the instruments inside the soundfont for whatever reason, you need to open up the soundfont in some-kind of soundfont editing tool and extract the samples manually.

Interested in custom music or sound design for your project? Shoot me an email!

sforzando (and anything that uses garritan's ARIA engine i guess?) can convert an sf2 into a bunch of sfz files for each instrument and will give you one accompanying wav file with all the samples from the original sf2. this is just how the sf2 and sfz formats work with each other, unfortunately! hopefully @Genclops had this issue sorted already, otherwise i guess 10 months late is better than never! :P

fyi, sfz files are just text files that instruct a sampler on how to play a wav file, so there's no audio information inside them.

p.s. i am gay

You can use Viena Soundfont Editor (Viena with a single N, not two !), which is free. Open your .sf2 file with it. Then, under "Samples", try to find the sample you want to extract, and then click on "Export WAV File". I don't know if it's possible to extract more than 1 sample at a time if you need to, but it's better than nothing.

Sentient-ish thingy that likes making music. | My audio submissions | My Youtube channel

BBS Signature

Response to Soundfont (.sf2) extraction 2015-05-07 12:36:44

Look for SFZed and download it.

It takes a soundfont and converts it to a SFZ file + All the samples used.

I recommend to not use the Aria Player Sforzando to convert .SF2 files. In my experience, it is promp to err producing crackles and blips while playing some instruments and, second, it does not make individual sample files for the SFZ file, as it create one single large audio file.

Search SFZed, if I understand correcly, it will solve your problem.