00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blue6panda just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Blandest characters in gaming

968 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 06:39:07

You know those characters in video games that for some reason are totally unappealing and almost have no sense of emotion whatsoever. Yeah fuck those guys.

But more to the point, which characters in video games do you feel are so bland and boring that you just shove of up a big spoon of personality in their bunghole. Also the game they're in don't have to be bad, just the character themselves are really boring.

A character that comes to mind is Connor from Ass Creed 3. I actually kind of like Ass Creed 3 but I really which the game focus was on Connors dad instead of Connor. Because Connor have no personality whatsoever and I can detect no emotions in voice except for when he's angry, or commanding his ship crew.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 11:43:43

Almost any silent protagonist is boring as fuck.

An opinion is like a fart. No one likes it but eventually it evaporates into nothing. Mike David

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 14:09:25

The ex-military spec-ops grizzled white father is a videogame character archetype that I never cease to not care about. I believe the blame can be pinned entirely on Tom Clancy. The man was a visionary, but he didn't exactly write diverse characters.

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 14:09:50

At 1/25/14 01:23 PM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: Bland, uninspired, generic (in terms of the game she's from as well as her look and concept), has no personality, and is overall just dumb.

She's more minimalistic than anything else I think. If she had any sort of personality or a more detailed design it would just distract from the purpose of the game she's coming from.

BBS Signature

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 14:35:50

Master Chief
Shit voice actor
Practically emotionless

he may as well be a silent protagonist. (Not that silent protagonists are bad, I prefer them more or less.)

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 14:38:50

There are far too many to name.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 14:58:55

At 1/25/14 02:56 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote:
Seriously, Mario. What personality does he possibly have?

The type that makes him rescue Peach, thinking that he is going to have his way with her, when all she gives him is a kiss.

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 16:42:55

Gordon Freeman. He's a standard silent protagonist but he has a special spot as constantly being selected on a "best characters" list when he himself has done absolutely nothing. Everything he's done is what I the player have done. In other words there is nothing interesting about him. At least Link talks to shopkeepers, at least the robot from cave story 'talk' to some degree, but Gordon does nothing but rub up against people, and thats if you're the kind of player that does that.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 17:26:16

Isaac Clarke in the first dead space. He was basically a Labrador Retriever to everyone on the Ishimura.

Thank god he gets some voice in the 2nd and some Dementia.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-25 23:25:56

Jason from Far Cry 3. I think it was his VA... Everyone else in the game I loved but Jason was just a buzzkill every time he talked. He had zero emotion in everything he said, even when he was yelling at the end of the game (except for fighting Hoyt, but that was one line). Which is awful because he's the main character.

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-26 01:11:12

At 1/25/14 11:43 AM, AngryGrag wrote: Almost any silent protagonist is boring as fuck.

LINK... SPHINX.. and mostly every character in the 80s

the lord of our savior. el christio

BBS Signature

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-26 10:45:08

I always hate the "Cloud Strife type" characters, those emo assholes who brag all the fucking time saying "I've done some bad shit" in this stupid edgy way.

Also, the blandest character would be Claude from GTA 3, but at least he wasn't supposed to have any personality or whatever.

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-26 12:00:07

At 1/25/14 04:42 PM, sweet21 wrote: Gordon Freeman. He's a standard silent protagonist but he has a special spot as constantly being selected on a "best characters" list when he himself has done absolutely nothing. Everything he's done is what I the player have done. In other words there is nothing interesting about him. At least Link talks to shopkeepers, at least the robot from cave story 'talk' to some degree, but Gordon does nothing but rub up against people, and thats if you're the kind of player that does that.

I honestly think he himself is intentionally like that. He's supposed to be a blank slate to project onto. If he had personality you couldn't do that. But that's just my opinion.

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-26 13:18:21

Lets make an exception from the silent protagonists. Because, one it's an intentional blandness and two it's hardly fair to pick on the silent guy.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Blandest characters in gaming 2014-01-26 20:23:28

That one guy who you fight at the end of the original F3 (without Broken Steel) who is in the Enclave and wears the white suit thing and kinda gets killed in one hit if you have a decent enough gun... yeah him. I thought he was fuckin' boring as shit.

The two leader guys who you fight for in Brink. They don't really do anything but say "FOR THE ARK" every once in a while and you're kinda like "wait I thought were just shooting each other for the hell of it" because the story is pretty shit 'n' all, y'know.

Ethan from Heavy Rain's REAL FUCKIN' BLAND, bro, but I think fuggin' everyone'll agree wid dat shit. All his dialogue is is "I have to find JASON. Can-- JAYSUN. JAAAAAAAAASON." Then once it's "SHAUN" then back to fuckin' HIT X TO "JAYSUN" THE SHIT OUTTA YO'SELF again.

Daisy from the Mario games... I'unno she just isn't fuckin' interesting at all. Peach always needs saving and shit and even if she is annoyin' as a bitch-ass ho can be at least you get involved with her. Daisy just... does she even?

The puppies in Nintendogs... fuggin' do nothin' but nothin'.

fuckin' giant rats