Be a Supporter!

'How to make this sound?' thread

  • 2,325 Views
  • 79 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-09 14:32:53 Reply

At 2/9/14 02:21 PM, Mophead367 wrote:
At 2/8/14 02:36 AM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 2/7/14 06:13 PM, Mophead367 wrote: How would I go about re-creating the synth in this track?
and maybe a tad of vibrato
How do I add vibrato?

What you using to re-create the synth?


CentralComposers - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Kontakt programmer.

Mophead367
Mophead367
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-09 16:30:18 Reply

At 2/9/14 02:32 PM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 2/9/14 02:21 PM, Mophead367 wrote:
At 2/8/14 02:36 AM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 2/7/14 06:13 PM, Mophead367 wrote: How would I go about re-creating the synth in this track?
and maybe a tad of vibrato
How do I add vibrato?
What you using to re-create the synth?

Toxic Biohazard. Also, are you sure it's a Triangle or Square wave. After fiddling around with the Attack and Release, I can't get it to sound right. The original sounds more organic and sine-wave like.

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-09 16:37:39 Reply

At 2/9/14 04:30 PM, Mophead367 wrote:
Toxic Biohazard. Also, are you sure it's a Triangle or Square wave. After fiddling around with the Attack and Release, I can't get it to sound right. The original sounds more organic and sine-wave like.

I believe that doesn't sound so like a Sine wave, you could try adding a 2nd osc as a sinewave to give it different harmonics, but I have no experience with that synth, a lot of synths normally have the 1st LFO connected as a vibrato I think so try the 1st LFO on your left of the synth.

Keep fiddling with the attack! It will make a different to sound similar, did you try the square wave/triangle with adding a tad of distortion/grit? It will give it that crispy sound if you play with the High/mids on a distortion effect


CentralComposers - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Kontakt programmer.

Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-11 01:55:35 Reply

How do I made a bass sound deep and powerful like it does in this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vois0RMtPHE

jump to 1:41

neBSounds
neBSounds
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-12 04:18:49 Reply

At 2/11/14 01:55 AM, Lethal-Input wrote: How do I made a bass sound deep and powerful like it does in this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vois0RMtPHE

jump to 1:41

Try layering several synths together, use a sine wave as the sub bass and then use sidechain compression routed to the kick for that pumping affect


Do you like pork sausages?

BBS Signature
JoshuaHughes
JoshuaHughes
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-07 10:03:05 Reply

So I've been stumped for a while on this sound at 0:31. Any ideas, guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kevdt1T9daA


Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-07 11:54:01 Reply

At 3/7/14 10:03 AM, JoshuaHughes wrote: So I've been stumped for a while on this sound at 0:31. Any ideas, guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kevdt1T9daA

The big dubsteppy vocoder transformer sound?


BBS Signature
JoshuaHughes
JoshuaHughes
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-07 14:45:31 Reply

At 3/7/14 11:54 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 3/7/14 10:03 AM, JoshuaHughes wrote: So I've been stumped for a while on this sound at 0:31. Any ideas, guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kevdt1T9daA
The big dubsteppy vocoder transformer sound?

Yes! Sorry for not clarifying. I feel like I've tried everything under the sun to get something like it.


Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature
MegaMettaurX
MegaMettaurX
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-07 20:25:34 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XDeIPprZtc

I'm trying to learn how to make the sound they use at 0:48. I like how it's gated. There's another song a couple of the same producers that use a similar sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0k9RfoZEBI At around 0:50. It's not gated though

Daru925
Daru925
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-07 21:17:41 Reply

Yes, a gate or the performer mode in massive will make this easy.
Apply an pretty fast enveloppe (or different enveloppes for variation) to the pitch and you've got a pretty good starting sound.


Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my music there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.
Merci! :)

MegaMettaurX
MegaMettaurX
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-08 01:59:10 Reply

At 3/7/14 09:17 PM, Daru925 wrote: Yes, a gate or the performer mode in massive will make this easy.
Apply an pretty fast enveloppe (or different enveloppes for variation) to the pitch and you've got a pretty good starting sound.

I've never used performance mode before, How does it even work? I thought it was for live mixing.

Stealth-Emergence
Stealth-Emergence
  • Member since: Dec. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-08 02:13:00 Reply

At 3/8/14 01:59 AM, MegaMettaurX wrote:
At 3/7/14 09:17 PM, Daru925 wrote: Yes, a gate or the performer mode in massive will make this easy.
Apply an pretty fast enveloppe (or different enveloppes for variation) to the pitch and you've got a pretty good starting sound.
I've never used performance mode before, How does it even work? I thought it was for live mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u7E-L0b_Ks


Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-08 03:07:05 Reply

At 3/7/14 02:45 PM, JoshuaHughes wrote:
At 3/7/14 11:54 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 3/7/14 10:03 AM, JoshuaHughes wrote: So I've been stumped for a while on this sound at 0:31. Any ideas, guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kevdt1T9daA
The big dubsteppy vocoder transformer sound?
Yes! Sorry for not clarifying. I feel like I've tried everything under the sun to get something like it.

I was under the impression by listening to it that you could use massive to get that sound. There's loads of dubstep pack presets for it on youtube, and im fairly confident alot of the presets he was pulling from was from that as they are familiar.

You might not get the exact match, but you'll get something similar and tweak from there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2q2rZxEayU


BBS Signature
MegaMettaurX
MegaMettaurX
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-08 04:25:43 Reply

At 3/8/14 02:13 AM, Stealth-Emergence wrote:
At 3/8/14 01:59 AM, MegaMettaurX wrote:
At 3/7/14 09:17 PM, Daru925 wrote: Yes, a gate or the performer mode in massive will make this easy.
Apply an pretty fast enveloppe (or different enveloppes for variation) to the pitch and you've got a pretty good starting sound.
I've never used performance mode before, How does it even work? I thought it was for live mixing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u7E-L0b_Ks

Looks complicated, and I don't have an APC or any other midi controllers, other than my iPad, and I don't like using it because it doesn't feel right.

Daru925
Daru925
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-03-08 09:19:37 Reply

I was talking about the performER mode in Massive, a popular software synthesizer, not performance mode in FL Studio.
It allows you to apply a succession of 1~32 enveloppes to any parameter. Very useful for gating effect and many other techniques.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOoegvC8CC4
Look at 2 mins.

If you use FL you can do the same with sytrus.
Or create short automation curves modulating pitch in the playlist.

If you don't want any variation, just one ADSR enveloppe will be enough.


Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my music there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.
Merci! :)

Matekin
Matekin
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-06 17:40:29 Reply

How can I recreate the lead sound that starts at 01:23? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEU0NV0hRG0 Thanks.

Matekin
Matekin
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-06 17:42:55 Reply

At 4/6/14 05:40 PM, Matekin wrote: How can I recreate the lead sound that starts at 01:23? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEU0NV0hRG0 Thanks.

Lead synth*, My bad. :3

JoshuaHughes
JoshuaHughes
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-06 20:29:01 Reply

At 4/6/14 05:40 PM, Matekin wrote: How can I recreate the lead sound that starts at 01:23? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEU0NV0hRG0 Thanks.

I think it's a saw wave with a ton of voicing and detuning. Maybe also a touch of distortion. A vibrato effect seems to show up on the longer sustained notes. Also sounds like it's a monophonic sound, so the first couple of notes sort of glide in from another note. Cut out the lower frequencies, and you should be somewhere in the ballpark.


Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature
Matekin
Matekin
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-07 03:14:21 Reply

I think it's a saw wave with a ton of voicing and detuning. Maybe also a touch of distortion. A vibrato effect seems to show up on the longer sustained notes. Also sounds like it's a monophonic sound, so the first couple of notes sort of glide in from another note. Cut out the lower frequencies, and you should be somewhere in the ballpark.

Thank you.

Jay-Turner
Jay-Turner
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-12 10:01:01 Reply

There's a particular electronic/percussive sound I'd like to achieve and it's done quite a lot in movie/game soundtracks. Inon Zur uses it briefly at 3:10 in this piece from Crysis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-9TNXts8M Does anybody know how to get this 'underwater' bassy synth sounding drums? I'd much appreciate it!

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-12 13:48:43 Reply

At 4/12/14 10:01 AM, Jay-Turner wrote: Does anybody know how to get this 'underwater' bassy synth sounding drums? I'd much appreciate it!

Of course! Hans Zimmers Zebra 2 (Dark Zebra) has a lot of patches that sound similar to this.

It's extremely easy to create a patch in Zebra 2 or Massive, using Performers/Steppers with the Cutoff. Choose a waveform that sounds suitable to your liking, add some reverb and some Delay. Delay takes an important part in these sort of sounds because it really enhances the rhythm in a patch (I like to think so anyway...)

Try using dotted rhythms along with a common rhythm: Left: 1/8. and Right: 1/8.... or experiment!

It's extremely cool how easy this sound is to make, it's just tweaking little tiny parameters and it completely makes the sound much better if you just keep tweaking until you hear it right.


CentralComposers - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Kontakt programmer.

Jay-Turner
Jay-Turner
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-13 06:58:05 Reply

Thanks for your response, I'm having a look into Dark Zebra and Massive. I have to say Dark Zebra is impressing me from what I've seen so it looks like it might be my next investment. Your response has been very helpful anyway :) I'll come back to it when I get the software.

At 4/12/14 01:48 PM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 4/12/14 10:01 AM, Jay-Turner wrote: Does anybody know how to get this 'underwater' bassy synth sounding drums? I'd much appreciate it!
Of course! Hans Zimmers Zebra 2 (Dark Zebra) has a lot of patches that sound similar to this.

It's extremely easy to create a patch in Zebra 2 or Massive, using Performers/Steppers with the Cutoff. Choose a waveform that sounds suitable to your liking, add some reverb and some Delay. Delay takes an important part in these sort of sounds because it really enhances the rhythm in a patch (I like to think so anyway...)

Try using dotted rhythms along with a common rhythm: Left: 1/8. and Right: 1/8.... or experiment!

It's extremely cool how easy this sound is to make, it's just tweaking little tiny parameters and it completely makes the sound much better if you just keep tweaking until you hear it right.
Ecke
Ecke
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-13 20:26:10 Reply

http://youtu.be/_r_L3VG69Jg?t=1m16s

Only thing I can guess is a a layered backwards loop with rising distortion and a pitch drop.

Also,

http://youtu.be/wV64VyjEuMQ?t=1m46s

That bass. Roughmath or what.


/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
ksthultz15
ksthultz15
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-15 13:30:32 Reply

Hey, anybody thats played Mass Effect knows the huge Reaper horn. I designed that in FM8. I can upload the .ksd file or the .wav sample to anybody that wants it :D

Once I submit my single "UFO" to dubstep.net, I'll be posting that here so you guys can see how I implemented it.


FL Studio 10 | Mixxx | Novation Launchpad S
M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd Gen | M-Audio Fast Track C400 | Behringer CMD MM-1
Sony MDR-7506 | Two Kustom PA-50s

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-15 16:30:49 Reply

At 4/15/14 01:30 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: Hey, anybody thats played Mass Effect knows the huge Reaper horn. I designed that in FM8. I can upload the .ksd file or the .wav sample to anybody that wants it :D

Once I submit my single "UFO" to dubstep.net, I'll be posting that here so you guys can see how I implemented it.

I'll look at the .wav sample if you upload it, I wanna compare! ;)

I bought Mass Effect 1 on the PC and still need to play it properly, haven't had any spare time...


CentralComposers - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Kontakt programmer.

ksthultz15
ksthultz15
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-15 17:31:09 Reply

At 4/15/14 04:30 PM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 4/15/14 01:30 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: Hey, anybody thats played Mass Effect knows the huge Reaper horn. I designed that in FM8. I can upload the .ksd file or the .wav sample to anybody that wants it :D

Once I submit my single "UFO" to dubstep.net, I'll be posting that here so you guys can see how I implemented it.
I'll look at the .wav sample if you upload it, I wanna compare! ;)

I bought Mass Effect 1 on the PC and still need to play it properly, haven't had any spare time...

I uploaded to FreeSound.org under public domain. You can feel free to download it there. Click Here!!


FL Studio 10 | Mixxx | Novation Launchpad S
M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd Gen | M-Audio Fast Track C400 | Behringer CMD MM-1
Sony MDR-7506 | Two Kustom PA-50s

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-15 17:48:19 Reply

At 4/15/14 05:31 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: I uploaded to FreeSound.org under public domain. You can feel free to download it there. Click Here!!

Nice! I made a couple of these in massive. Downloaded this too!


BBS Signature
ksthultz15
ksthultz15
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-15 21:41:12 Reply

At 4/15/14 05:48 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 4/15/14 05:31 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: I uploaded to FreeSound.org under public domain. You can feel free to download it there. Click Here!!
Nice! I made a couple of these in massive. Downloaded this too!

If you guys want. I can make custom samples for you. Different bpms, lengths, pitches, effects.


FL Studio 10 | Mixxx | Novation Launchpad S
M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd Gen | M-Audio Fast Track C400 | Behringer CMD MM-1
Sony MDR-7506 | Two Kustom PA-50s

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-16 05:23:46 Reply

At 4/15/14 09:41 PM, ksthultz15 wrote:
At 4/15/14 05:48 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 4/15/14 05:31 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: I uploaded to FreeSound.org under public domain. You can feel free to download it there. Click Here!!
Nice! I made a couple of these in massive. Downloaded this too!
If you guys want. I can make custom samples for you. Different bpms, lengths, pitches, effects.

Would never so no to Braams! My crit would be, take off the wet reverb if you can. It would be best for us to add that in depending on our compositions reverb. It can be a challenge to take it of, then reapply our own settings.


BBS Signature
Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-04-16 05:46:30 Reply

At 4/15/14 09:41 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: If you guys want. I can make custom samples for you. Different bpms, lengths, pitches, effects.

So do you enjoy Synthesis? I barely find any people on here that like creating Synth patches


CentralComposers - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Kontakt programmer.