Be a Supporter!

'How to make this sound?' thread

  • 2,959 Views
  • 90 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-24 18:37:50 Reply

Hey everyone, I thought with the number of threads we have and get with "how do you make it sound like this, or how did they make this sound" we should get a thread here which brings everyones collective genius on solving the most troublesome inspired sounds we hear.

With a large assortment of libraries and techniques among ourselves we should be able to help each other out as much as we can. I've seen some great advice elsewhere for making specific sounds and audio similarities.
So the rules are simple!
> Have an audio clip or video clip to let us hear the sound you're looking for and share it.
> Make a short and clear description of the sound you are trying to isolate.

> The thread could get busy, so if you are answering in relation to a specific sound make sure people know whose sound you are replying to. You could do this by replying to the original poster, or suggestively could write @petersatera to flag whose problem your helping with. That and then they know they have had help when revisiting NG's!

and that's it!

----------------------
So I'm going to start as this one has been bugging me, and I can't seem to recreate it very well without creating a ridiculous amount of reverb and it end up sounding like a piston.

http://www.filz.us/view/2b06937e-d83/
This is the sound. It's not the orchestra, or kick/percussion that is heard. It's the noise that gradually fades out. Like a distant digital cricket, or cymbol/hi-hat which has been distorted. It's like the bit rate has been dropped on it or something.

Any advice/thoughts?


BBS Signature
johnfn
johnfn
  • Member since: Aug. 16, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-24 19:27:33 Reply

Really good idea for a thread.

At 1/24/14 06:37 PM, PeterSatera wrote: http://www.filz.us/view/2b06937e-d83/
This is the sound. It's not the orchestra, or kick/percussion that is heard. It's the noise that gradually fades out. Like a distant digital cricket, or cymbol/hi-hat which has been distorted. It's like the bit rate has been dropped on it or something.

Any advice/thoughts?

Yeah. Take some sort of hit, put a TON of reverb on it (like 10+ seconds decay time, crank up the wet, blabla). Then apply some sort of slight bitcrush. Ableton has a builtin "Redux" filter that I was able to create the same sound with by applying a subtle crush onto the reverb tail.

It sounds to me like the bitcrush is fading out, but you can't just automate the bitcrush down to get that effect (because that will change the pitch of the bitcrush). Instead you should make two parallel tracks, one for the normal reverb with no bitcrush, and one with the bitcrush on it. Then you could automate the bitcrushed one's volume down while the other one stays normal.

I was able to get pretty close that way :)


[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-24 22:44:24 Reply

Awesome freaking thread idea.

I REALLY want to know how to make this synth/piano sound at the beginning of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNv5g_9EliQ

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-25 08:08:58 Reply

At 1/24/14 10:44 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNv5g_9EliQ

Arp it up, add some delay....

Square/triangle wave (maybe a dual wave - 1)Square 2) Triangle and blend then in), add a tiny bit of filter (Subtractive Synthesis) use your ears until it's right... maybe a tiny.winy bit of reverb


CentralComposers TEMP - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Audio Engine Programmer.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-25 11:31:06 Reply

At 1/25/14 08:08 AM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 1/24/14 10:44 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNv5g_9EliQ
Arp it up, add some delay....

Square/triangle wave (maybe a dual wave - 1)Square 2) Triangle and blend then in), add a tiny bit of filter (Subtractive Synthesis) use your ears until it's right... maybe a tiny.winy bit of reverb

I have done something similar in the past. Sound like they used highpass for the effect.

It's something you can be made from a synth oscillator.

Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-26 21:55:07 Reply

This is like my 3rd week of using a DAW. I am very unfamiliar with mixing... I mean, I followed tutorials on how to make certain sounds, so i'm used to the interface and know how it works.... I have never really been successful at all with getting my own sounds. You guys should really hear the sound I got from trying to follow your guys' instructions...

P.S. It sounds nothing like it at all... lol

SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Member since: May. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-26 22:55:00 Reply

At 1/26/14 09:55 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: This is like my 3rd week of using a DAW. I am very unfamiliar with mixing... I mean, I followed tutorials on how to make certain sounds, so i'm used to the interface and know how it works.... I have never really been successful at all with getting my own sounds. You guys should really hear the sound I got from trying to follow your guys' instructions...

P.S. It sounds nothing like it at all... lol

Hm - maybe you should work with presets first. Most of the synths have got hundreds of them (omnisphere, absynth, massive, fm8 really got an incredible amount of those included). I would recommend to learn to handle the daw┬┤s basics first so you can really focus on your effects / stuff later without getting confused by the daw itself. This wont take much time, but i think it would be the better way.


BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-26 23:15:08 Reply

I'm not sure if you were directing this at just music sounds, but this could absolutely be used towards sound effect design as well, if the thread will allow it anyway


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-26 23:16:24 Reply

I actually feel like that's the only thing I really have left to learn. I feel pretty fluent in everything else.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-28 16:09:26 Reply

At 1/24/14 07:27 PM, johnfn wrote: Yeah. Take some sort of hit, put a TON of reverb on it (like 10+ seconds decay time, crank up the wet, blabla). Then apply some sort of slight bitcrush. Ableton has a builtin "Redux" filter that I was able to create the same sound with by applying a subtle crush onto the reverb tail.

It sounds to me like the bitcrush is fading out, but you can't just automate the bitcrush down to get that effect (because that will change the pitch of the bitcrush). Instead you should make two parallel tracks, one for the normal reverb with no bitcrush, and one with the bitcrush on it. Then you could automate the bitcrushed one's volume down while the other one stays normal.

I was able to get pretty close that way :)

Thanks, i spent an hour trying to get something similar, i got close, but it sounded pretty poor compared to the original. Thanks though, i'll keep trying!


BBS Signature
Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-28 16:41:42 Reply

At 1/26/14 11:15 PM, stunkel wrote: I'm not sure if you were directing this at just music sounds, but this could absolutely be used towards sound effect design as well, if the thread will allow it anyway

That would be interesting, I would agree on that one...

It would make sense that this thread would be suitable for this xD


CentralComposers TEMP - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Audio Engine Programmer.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-28 17:02:36 Reply

At 1/28/14 04:41 PM, Bspendlove wrote: It would make sense that this thread would be suitable for this xD

I dont see why not, :) If it helps you out then i see no harm


BBS Signature
JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-28 17:25:36 Reply

How can I recreate this sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJ80joz_eI

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-28 18:51:22 Reply

At 1/28/14 05:25 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: How can I recreate this sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJ80joz_eI

That really reminds me again of the Hybrid Tools 2 Cursed Hits...

Loads of layers in there:

Try record a girl screaming in a warehouse to get the natural reverb, or just apply it your self,

Or you could use a organic-synthy sound with a pitch bend, would be a cool effect

Or you could use that - Plug a wah wah pedal into the amp but reverse the input/outputs and you get an awesome sound that you can control using the Volume/Tone knobs on the guitar

This type of stuff, if you are experimental enough, you could actually get a similar sound without the needs of recording any samples, just using synths (my opinion) xD

That might get you that main layer part of the sound :/


CentralComposers TEMP - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Audio Engine Programmer.

Phonometrologist
Phonometrologist
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-28 23:30:53 Reply

At 1/28/14 05:25 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: How can I recreate this sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJ80joz_eI

My "Ectopic beat" for halloween was somewhat inspired by Alien, but mostly because Samulis's free library had a whistle that reminded me of this sound. Miscellania I:Horror had a whistle on C6 of the piano roll, and I only used a snippet of when the whistle began to sound. At 2:12 of the piece, I then added a distortion plug-in with a longer reverb. I didn't attempt to go further with it as I was just trying to keep it close to the library of his, but I imagine if one wanted to get as close as possible to it, sounds like this whistle, as an example, would be layered with other sounds, of course, as you would typically do in sound design.
I assume you're asking merely for learning purposes which is a good exercise I think.
Probably is more fun just to create your own variation of the sound with a similar vibe.

SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Member since: May. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-28 23:42:28 Reply

At 1/28/14 05:25 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: How can I recreate this sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJ80joz_eI

Here is the basic principle. I also wanted to know this some time ago :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_eXQN8Z5o


BBS Signature
Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-30 23:09:25 Reply

Ok well I made a sound that sounds a lot like the one I was trying to get. The only problem with it is that there is a clicking noise along with it. How would I get rid of that? I tried EQing, but I couldn't fix it that way.

Daru925
Daru925
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-01-31 00:16:12 Reply

Check releases on enveloppe. No release often leads to clicks and pops.
You could also try noise gating.


Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my music there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.
Merci! :)

Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-01 18:58:20 Reply

How can I make the bass that plays at the beginning of this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQMkzjcLEA

lantaren
lantaren
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-01 22:57:48 Reply

At 2/1/14 06:58 PM, Lethal-Input wrote: How can I make the bass that plays at the beginning of this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQMkzjcLEA

Basically, it's just a distorted + lowpassed sawtooth, I made something pretty close to it in harmor. Channel A and B had unison pitch, only somewhat on, and used a pretty good amount of harmonizer on channel B, put the cube distortion on it, put the distortion filter all the way up/off, and then automated a lowpass externally, with very little resonance. I'm sure that other synths can achieve a very similar sound, too. (The distortion is what gives some of the notes their distinctive warble)


but in the end, what do I know? I am just a teenager after all.

lantaren
lantaren
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-01 23:07:22 Reply

At 2/1/14 10:57 PM, lantaren wrote:
At 2/1/14 06:58 PM, Lethal-Input wrote: How can I make the bass that plays at the beginning of this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQMkzjcLEA
Basically, it's just a distorted + lowpassed sawtooth, I made something pretty close to it in harmor. Channel A and B had unison pitch, only somewhat on, and used a pretty good amount of harmonizer on channel B, put the cube distortion on it, put the distortion filter all the way up/off, and then automated a lowpass externally, with very little resonance. I'm sure that other synths can achieve a very similar sound, too. (The distortion is what gives some of the notes their distinctive warble)

Wait, so I didn't use unison actually, though it sounds pretty good with it (no sharp warble on the notes, if you're looking for that) :P and the distortion, after a bit of playing around, is most likely a bit-crusher (if anything). What actually gives it the warble, more than anything, is the harmonics being all weird as the way that the chord is played.. hope that this was somewhat useful


but in the end, what do I know? I am just a teenager after all.

JoshuaHughes
JoshuaHughes
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-01 23:25:01 Reply

At 2/1/14 06:58 PM, Lethal-Input wrote: How can I make the bass that plays at the beginning of this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQMkzjcLEA

I believe Deadmau5 used a lowpassed saw wave and just added a little bit of distortion to it.


Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature
Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-02 03:29:03 Reply

Alright I got something that sounds exactly like it.... Nice (I did not watch a youtube video 0_0)

Lethal-Input
Lethal-Input
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-06 01:07:53 Reply

So... How could I go about making the synth that starts this off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEKLhvCCVA

Mophead367
Mophead367
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-07 18:13:35 Reply

How would I go about re-creating the synth in this track?
burial - night bus

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-08 02:36:47 Reply

At 2/7/14 06:13 PM, Mophead367 wrote: How would I go about re-creating the synth in this track?

Triangle wave or Square wave whatever you like the most, filter it a tad to your preference, add some attack to the volume envelope for the length you want the note to fade in out and maybe add some release time so it doesn't just cut out and smoothly fades out...

Chuck some Reverb, maybe some very mild distortion... and maybe a tad of vibrato


CentralComposers TEMP - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Audio Engine Programmer.

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-09 07:18:21 Reply

How do I make something like this transition sfx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW95OaAdoJ0&t=1m45s


BBS Signature
eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-09 07:19:31 Reply

fast forward to 1:45


BBS Signature
Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-09 08:56:07 Reply

At 2/9/14 07:19 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: fast forward to 1:

Add an LFO to the Pitch envelope around 10 seconds? or less.... If you have an option instead of time signatures...

Maybe add a filter automation too! A tiny bit of grit?/distortion not too much, Maybe go for a square wave and filter out the lower frequencies, also you could try adding the LFO to the filter too so it is the same as the Pitch envelope time? Could work


CentralComposers TEMP - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Audio Engine Programmer.

Mophead367
Mophead367
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to 'How to make this sound?' thread 2014-02-09 14:21:53 Reply

At 2/8/14 02:36 AM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 2/7/14 06:13 PM, Mophead367 wrote: How would I go about re-creating the synth in this track?

:and maybe a tad of vibrato

How do I add vibrato?