Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 11:57 AM Reply

Hey guys!

I'm going into Phase 2 of my project StoryShift and looking for another roster of comic artists. Let me explain further.
Last time I came here looking for comic artists, I presented the offer as a secret project and gave very little info because it was too early to announce the project officially. I wanted 10 writers or comic artists to build the app with and have 10 stories to launch with and now I do and StoryShift is coming out in a few weeks.

So what's StoryShift? It's a community driven storytelling platform where writers and comic artists each write a story chapter, give a choice to the community, then there's a voting period of about a week and based on the community decision, you write the next chapter with another choice at the end and so on. So the story continues based on the community choices, controlled by the choices you gave them in the first place.

It will be on android, iOS and flash, pretty much everywhere. So I'm looking for my "wave 2" roster of about 10 more stories.
The incentive, beyond a passion for making comics as a hobby :P, is that 70% of the revenues go to the authors.
I'm looking for comic artists who have past and recent works to show me, I need people with decent experience and an innate desire to draw or make comics as the episodic nature of the stories requires a bi-tri-weekly or monthly commitment to make another small chapter based on the previous community decision. In order to keep this a light weight side project, I'm not looking for people who want to make ultra detailed comics, it's just not realistic considering the nature of the project, I'm more looking for simplistic and/or sketchy styles that will allow you to make your chapters quick enough without overloading your schedule. Keywords here are lightweigth side project.

Here's our facebook page, it's empty since the project is not released yet but you'll see some more screenshots
https://www.facebook.com/pages/StoryShift/269342013180770

I hope I was clear enough, if you have questions or need more detail, let me know. If you're straight up interested, PM me.
Here's to a chance to work with more talented artists of Newgrounds!
Cheers!

Comic Artists Wanted!

Little-Eise
Little-Eise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 12:37 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 11:57 AM, Evil-Dog wrote:
It will be on android, iOS and flash, pretty much everywhere. So I'm looking for my "wave 2" roster of about 10 more stories.
The incentive, beyond a passion for making comics as a hobby :P, is that 70% of the revenues go to the authors.

So what you're offering is exposure and about 3.5-7 percent of the revenue, depending on how you paid the last batch of contributors. Neat.

BBS Signature
Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 12:45 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 12:37 PM, Little-Eise wrote:
So what you're offering is exposure and about 3.5-7 percent of the revenue, depending on how you paid the last batch of contributors. Neat.

Mobile and flash apps make money with ad revenues and in-app purchases for mobile. 70% of that will go to the authors on a monthly basis. So it's not really depending on how much the "previous batch" were paid, it's not a 1 shot payment, it's monthly, and as we build our following, revenues will increase for everyone.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 01:02 PM Reply

I didn't do the math to estimate what percentage of the money this could mean for each artist, but keep in mind that Evil-Dog has published apps before. What I want to say is, that he doesn't need to start from 0 when it comes to promoting his app, but has a number of fans and followers that might check it out right away. Also he is more reliable than your average "free art plox" requester.

@OP: I am by no means fit to consider this even, but reading this, I think people might miss some info. How long is each chapter supposed to be (approximately)? It's one chapter per month? Didn't quite get the description on that part. I assume the app is planned to be free, considering you mentioned ads.

Overall, good luck with this. I am sure the some perfect artists for your project hang around here often, don't know who can afford the commitment needed for this project.

BBS Signature
Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 01:11 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 01:02 PM, Luwano wrote:
I didn't do the math to estimate what percentage of the money this could mean for each artist, but keep in mind that Evil-Dog has published apps before. What I want to say is, that he doesn't need to start from 0 when it comes to promoting his app, but has a number of fans and followers that might check it out right away. Also he is more reliable than your average "free art plox" requester.

@OP: I am by no means fit to consider this even, but reading this, I think people might miss some info. How long is each chapter supposed to be (approximately)? It's one chapter per month? Didn't quite get the description on that part. I assume the app is planned to be free, considering you mentioned ads.

Overall, good luck with this. I am sure the some perfect artists for your project hang around here often, don't know who can afford the commitment needed for this project.

The math isn't easy to do (will need to figure out the fairest formula), it depends how many people making stories and the popularity of each story you know, say you'd have 2 stories, 1 has 2 votes and the other has 98 votes, that means the first story gets 2% of the 70% you know, the second story gets 98% of the 70%, makes sense. But what will happen is that each story will be cross promoted, people will probably read most stories cause they're small chapters to vote on and then you wait for the updates, once we have enough stories, there will be enough updates (voting ending, decision revealed, new chapter released) to have daily updates. The more stories we have the more fan we'll bring in, the more updates there will be, everyone wins.

Yeah it'll be free with ads and on mobile, it will have a purchase to remove the ads and support the app and the authors.
I'll tweak the OP to be clearer on those aspects you mentionned.

Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 01:16 PM Reply

I'm clearly not a forum guy haha I thought you could edit a post. Pwa pwa pwaaaaaaaaaaahhh....

So to be clear on some points:

Each artist makes his own comic, it's not me doing a comic and needing an artist, it's a platform for comic artists to make a comic.

Comic chapters would be 5-10 pages of comics (it can be different for written stories), just enough to get the story forward a bit, that's why I really stress on the simplistic style so that it's not a burden to make those pages. It should remain a lightweight side project.

The update cycle can be between 2 weeks and 1 month, the voting period is typically 1 week. After that the voting is closed while you work on the next chapter for 1-3 weeks.

b0em
b0em
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 01:53 PM Reply

Hmm, that is pretty cool. I am interested for sure!
I'll PM you later tonight or tomorrow.

'The Nazis didn't lose the war that's a lie. No, no, they didn't lose, they just swapped sides' - Max Normal TV

BBS Signature
Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 02:07 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 01:53 PM, b0em wrote: Hmm, that is pretty cool. I am interested for sure!
I'll PM you later tonight or tomorrow.

Awesome dude :)

Little-Eise
Little-Eise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 12:45 PM, Evil-Dog wrote:
Mobile and flash apps make money with ad revenues and in-app purchases for mobile. 70% of that will go to the authors on a monthly basis. So it's not really depending on how much the "previous batch" were paid, it's not a 1 shot payment, it's monthly, and as we build our following, revenues will increase for everyone.

I based my last post on two assumptions: because these are community driven stories, most of the previous ten contributors you mentioned would continue making comics, and they would also be paid a percentage of the revenue. Without knowing about your plan to divide the ad revenue based on a comic's popularity, each of the comics' authors would make about 3.5% of the ad revenue if both of those assumptions were correct. If either was incorrect, that figure bumps up to 7%, if you end up having ten total contributors.

I guess I'm trying to say that it really isn't worth it to the comics' authors. Yes, your name basically guarantees views, especially if you host the flash version here on Newgrounds; and having the comic's home and infrastructure already built is incredibly convenient, too. In my mind both of those are short-term gains, though. The schedule you've proposed is essentially the same as Freak Angels' old update schedule. I know you're not looking for the same level of quality, but anything that will keep the readers' interested takes enough work that the author is better off hosting the comic themselves. I'm not just talking about the art's quality, either. An interesting story takes time to make, especially when you have the readers vote on the direction it's going to go.

By the by, since you mentioned ad revenue, I thought that it went without saying that it would be a monthly payment. AdSense pays out monthly, and it's big enough that most other advertising services follow the same model.

BBS Signature
Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 04:39 PM, Little-Eise wrote: I based my last post on two assumptions: because these are community driven stories, most of the previous ten contributors you mentioned would continue making comics, and they would also be paid a percentage of the revenue. Without knowing about your plan to divide the ad revenue based on a comic's popularity, each of the comics' authors would make about 3.5% of the ad revenue if both of those assumptions were correct. If either was incorrect, that figure bumps up to 7%, if you end up having ten total contributors.

You're right about the split. But you seem to assume that more stories doesn't mean more revenues, which is wrong obviously. 3.5% of more money, is more money, everyone's fan will bring their fan to other people's stories.
Anyway, I've got a group of people who are excited about the project and looking for more, you're clearly not interested, so moving on.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 05:45 PM Reply

What cut of the profits are you taking?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 05:45 PM, Aigis wrote: What cut of the profits are you taking?

I get 20% and the UI artist, SickDeathFiend, gets 10%

Rhunyc
Rhunyc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 06:55 PM Reply

I am very very interested in this, however I have no experience with comics. :<

Just wanted to add a +1 to the interested list. I think it would be really cool to be a part of this.

"Now, I've chased this dream to do what I love - and I wouldn't trade it for a thing. I threw away what naysayers say, and started on a race that I had to win for myself."

BBS Signature
Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 06:55 PM, Rhunyc wrote: I am very very interested in this, however I have no experience with comics. :<

Just wanted to add a +1 to the interested list. I think it would be really cool to be a part of this.

Wow dude your art is AMAZING! Awesome...we'll talk in PM

Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 01:57 PM Reply

Just to be clear, when I say "bi-tri-weekly", I do mean there's an update every 2-4 weeks.

Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Comic Artists Wanted! Feb. 22nd, 2014 @ 10:22 AM Reply

And it's out! Comic artists I welcome you to join! PM me! Check the Kansas and Subject 442 comics to motivate you :)

• StoryShift
    StoryShift by Evil-Dog

Read epic stories and comics and decide what happens next! Start choosing now!

Score
    4.04 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+