Be a Supporter!

NG Performance Boost!

  • 42,837 Views
  • 156 Replies
Respond to this Topic
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 01:21 AM Reply

Sry... this is what I was on about. Fresh install of FF 26. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0, Java Plug-in 10.45.2 for Mozilla, Flash 11.9 r900... damn, I gotta update nearly everything :p

NG Performance Boost!


Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
Steve84
Steve84
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Gamer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 08:31 AM Reply

The sites running amazing.

kmg90
kmg90
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 08:47 AM Reply

While the website overall loads quick (I don't notice any improvement as the site's response times have always been great for me), games and movies are so much slower at loading than previously... Before I was getting 2-3MB/s game/movie transfer speeds now I can barely hit 500 KB/s let alone 1MB/s

I never had issues with performance before but now I feel like I'm getting throttled as there are a few times I hit 2-3MB/s however it's hit and miss.

A-Genius
A-Genius
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 08:52 AM Reply

What does that suppose to mean? that wasn't happening before the update!

NG Performance Boost!

BloodlustSweden
BloodlustSweden
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 03:04 PM Reply

Seems to be a bit faster tonight, haven't tried d/l'ing anything yet though..


XBL GT: MasterZeroFlash | PSN: BloodlustSweden
Life is a sickness with more victims than all forms of cancer put together.
E-mail

BloodlustSweden
BloodlustSweden
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 03:15 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 03:04 PM, BloodlustSweden wrote: Seems to be a bit faster tonight, haven't tried d/l'ing anything yet though..

D/L seems more than double the speed of yesterday but 1-2 minutes for around 7 mb is still way too slow..


XBL GT: MasterZeroFlash | PSN: BloodlustSweden
Life is a sickness with more victims than all forms of cancer put together.
E-mail

kmg90
kmg90
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 03:46 PM Reply

I'm now getting 90KB/s to 150 KB/s download speeds, taking over 1-2 minutes for some games to load... I've never waited more than 15-20 seconds for games to load for the past 4 years!

It's like I'm back 2002 with the 1 mbit connection that I had...

NG Performance Boost!

TheMisterR
TheMisterR
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 04:03 PM Reply

Why is NG so slow suddenly?
I was playing games and watching videos with no problem just last week, and today I have barely been able to play Gretel and Hansel, and now it's just downright impossible, it's too slow! And I assure you my connexion is just fine

What the hell is goinf on?

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 1/23/14 06:59 PM, AgemoKire wrote: It's actually a problem now for me, I use gs3 & nothing is loading up

We don't have a mobile site.

At 1/24/14 01:16 AM, VicariousE wrote: Art portal thumbnails are sporadically loading

Images not loading was an issue we found and fixed earlier.

filesizes are being incorrectly reported, and the pod text isn't 'stylized' or compressed or something.... other hiccups too, dunno if they're network related.

Got an example? I downloaded an image and the file size was correct.

At 1/24/14 03:46 PM, kmg90 wrote: I'm now getting 90KB/s to 150 KB/s download speeds, taking over 1-2 minutes for some games to load... I've never waited more than 15-20 seconds for games to load for the past 4 years!

It's like I'm back 2002 with the 1 mbit connection that I had...

We're seeing this too. We're probably going to disable CF for now. It was working perfectly last week, then this week it's working worse than it was before we started using them. I have a ticket but haven't heard back.


I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
kmg90
kmg90
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 04:30 PM Reply

I hope I'm snipping the qoute correctly

At 1/24/14 04:07 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:

We're seeing this too. We're probably going to disable CF for now. It was working perfectly last week, then this week it's working worse than it was before we started using them. I have a ticket but haven't heard back.

From my limited perspective it seems to be a caching issue as refreshing the page when the transfer speeds are way below normal, the subsequent load is the complete opposite (super fast)

TheMisterR
TheMisterR
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 04:07 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
From my limited perspective it seems to be a caching issue as refreshing the page when the transfer speeds are way below normal, the subsequent load is the complete opposite (super fast)

I don't it works like that

BloodlustSweden
BloodlustSweden
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 03:15 PM, BloodlustSweden wrote:
At 1/24/14 03:04 PM, BloodlustSweden wrote: Seems to be a bit faster tonight, haven't tried d/l'ing anything yet though..
D/L seems more than double the speed of yesterday but 1-2 minutes for around 7 mb is still way too slow..

Hmm...the last two songs i d/l'ed took just a few seconds to finish so it looks promising :3


XBL GT: MasterZeroFlash | PSN: BloodlustSweden
Life is a sickness with more victims than all forms of cancer put together.
E-mail

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 04:48 PM, TheMisterR wrote:
At 1/24/14 04:07 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
From my limited perspective it seems to be a caching issue as refreshing the page when the transfer speeds are way below normal, the subsequent load is the complete opposite (super fast)
I don't it works like that

Actually, that's exactly what's happening.


I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 04:30 PM, kmg90 wrote: From my limited perspective it seems to be a caching issue as refreshing the page when the transfer speeds are way below normal, the subsequent load is the complete opposite (super fast)

That's exactly what's happening now. We've disabled CloudFlare for now, so hopefully the site should be performing better.


I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
BloodlustSweden
BloodlustSweden
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 05:03 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: That's exactly what's happening now. We've disabled CloudFlare for now, so hopefully the site should be performing better.

Indeed! I think it might even be faster than usual atm!


XBL GT: MasterZeroFlash | PSN: BloodlustSweden
Life is a sickness with more victims than all forms of cancer put together.
E-mail

TheMisterR
TheMisterR
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 05:05 PM, BloodlustSweden wrote: Indeed! I think it might even be faster than usual atm!

Really? Well I don't see any difference currently :/

BloodlustSweden
BloodlustSweden
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 05:14 PM, TheMisterR wrote:
At 1/24/14 05:05 PM, BloodlustSweden wrote: Indeed! I think it might even be faster than usual atm!
Really? Well I don't see any difference currently :/

Hmm...try all the usual stuff, you know, clear cache, restart browser a.so.


XBL GT: MasterZeroFlash | PSN: BloodlustSweden
Life is a sickness with more victims than all forms of cancer put together.
E-mail

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 05:14 PM, TheMisterR wrote:
At 1/24/14 05:05 PM, BloodlustSweden wrote: Indeed! I think it might even be faster than usual atm!
Really? Well I don't see any difference currently :/

It's going to depend on many factors, mainly where you live and what internet provider you use.


I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
TheMisterR
TheMisterR
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 1/24/14 06:02 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: It's going to depend on many factors, mainly where you live and what internet provider you use.

I've reboot (rebooted?) my pc. It is way better but still very slow in comparison.

I live in France, and have a 100Mb connexion

IceSage
IceSage
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Animator
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 06:14 PM Reply

I've noticed a slight improvement, but not much. This is going off the fact that Newgrounds as always run smooth for me... with it only being REALLY slow at least once in the past 2 months.

I'd like to point out that I'm more concerned with the way the mp4 video player handles buffering than the actual server response time. For some reason videos seem to buffer for absolutely no reason, even when the progress bar shows it sufficiently buffered. I shouldn't be buffering at 45 seconds ahead loaded.

This is from the point of view of a non-verizon customer though. I use Comcast.


Last good Deities Requiem animation: [Horadaze in da Hizzle!]
Latest Deities Requiem ep: [DRequiem: Halloween 2008]

BBS Signature
Lycrios
Lycrios
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Programmer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 25th, 2014 @ 01:50 AM Reply

Good to see that you're keeping the site as amazing as ever!


BBS Signature
BloodlustSweden
BloodlustSweden
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 25th, 2014 @ 07:57 AM Reply

Also: Bloody 'ell, it's "already" 2014...


XBL GT: MasterZeroFlash | PSN: BloodlustSweden
Life is a sickness with more victims than all forms of cancer put together.
E-mail

Maverickmode
Maverickmode
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 25th, 2014 @ 07:55 PM Reply

I keep trying to update songs, and after specifying a replacement file it will work just fine in preview mode, but as soon as I hit publish it goes right back to the original audio.
I'm not entirely sure if this has anything to do with the update, or if it's a completely unrelated issue.

123vishnu
123vishnu
  • Member since: Sep. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 03:51 AM Reply

Superb Brandon>>>>>
But please tell me of how to chat with everyone so that I can get help from someone like asking for lyrics,music,voice etc...
Thanks in advance


"Stranger"

AgemoKire
AgemoKire
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 05:11 AM Reply

Sorry about that, forgot, maybe it has to do with what you added, even though there's useful updates for your site, your forgetting that the viewers might have old running computers, so while your site is rapidly growing & running, their probably more advanced features for the viewers computers or programs that its unable to read it or support it, or something like that?

At 1/24/14 04:07 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 1/23/14 06:59 PM, AgemoKire wrote: It's actually a problem now for me, I use gs3 & nothing is loading up
We don't have a mobile site.

At 1/24/14 01:16 AM, VicariousE wrote: Art portal thumbnails are sporadically loading
Images not loading was an issue we found and fixed earlier.

filesizes are being incorrectly reported, and the pod text isn't 'stylized' or compressed or something.... other hiccups too, dunno if they're network related.
Got an example? I downloaded an image and the file size was correct.

At 1/24/14 03:46 PM, kmg90 wrote: I'm now getting 90KB/s to 150 KB/s download speeds, taking over 1-2 minutes for some games to load... I've never waited more than 15-20 seconds for games to load for the past 4 years!

It's like I'm back 2002 with the 1 mbit connection that I had...
We're seeing this too. We're probably going to disable CF for now. It was working perfectly last week, then this week it's working worse than it was before we started using them. I have a ticket but haven't heard back.
emptywindow
emptywindow
  • Member since: Aug. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 03:33 PM Reply

Newgrounds needs to be more mobile friendly.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 04:05 PM Reply

At 1/26/14 03:33 PM, emptywindow wrote: Newgrounds needs to be more mobile friendly.

One of the reasons for the last re-design, was to have the ability to accommodate new platforms like mobile OS's, but with only a handful of staff members, and the ever changing software.... it's happening though.

As far as the usefulness of CF in the future of Newgrounds, in the war against Verizon's bandwidth throttling... I dunno, I'm so confused. About the same time NG used a different DNS, I noticed all the major porn sites are not streaming video as they should. I can only assume the war just got worse....


Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
jimbobmuffincake
jimbobmuffincake
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Gamer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 27th, 2014 @ 11:44 AM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

Fantastic. Now I can browse for longer periods of time without the website timing out. Simply fantastic.


ila

kcnh
kcnh
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 27th, 2014 @ 03:21 PM Reply

I don't really feel the difference, but I then again I don't have Verizon.

W1CKEDknight
W1CKEDknight
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 29th, 2014 @ 06:26 PM Reply

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

Is that gonna set off the doomsday machine?
Im just sayin brochachos somebody should check and make sure.

Cause Im not buyin lunch for everyone tomorrow if the world blows up...