Respond to this Topic
Holon
Holon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 18th, 2014 @ 09:54 AM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

Better than ever, and I feel the difference.

I have a 50 mb/s connection through Verizon, and for the first time ever, I feel like I'm receiving that much when on Newgrounds. A TOME episode that may have took 3-5 minutes to load (estimating, I usually leave the tab elsewhere as it loads) now only takes 15-30 seconds, omg.

I lost the game.

Holon
Holon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 18th, 2014 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 1/18/14 09:54 AM, Holon wrote:
At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?
Better than ever, and I feel the difference.

I have a 50 mb/s connection through Verizon, and for the first time ever, I feel like I'm receiving that much when on Newgrounds. A TOME episode that may have took 3-5 minutes to load (estimating, I usually leave the tab elsewhere as it loads) now only takes 15-30 seconds, omg.

1080p is so beautiful... Sniff...

And at last I see the light, and it's like the fog has lifted.

I lost the game.

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 18th, 2014 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 1/18/14 10:00 AM, Holon wrote: And at last I see the light, and it's like the fog has lifted.

This is exactly how we feel too!

I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
KazaaMafia
KazaaMafia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 18th, 2014 @ 01:53 PM Reply

Noticeably faster. Good job.

bnpla
bnpla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 06:52 AM Reply

one issue i noticed is that i tryed to change the SWF of a game, and mabe because of the cache not updating instantly, i thought there was an error, but then it solved itself, mabe when the CF cache updated.

So it's a thing to have in mind when making changes to a game or movie, there might be a delay between the time you click save/publish and the time it actually updates the thing.

A-Genius
A-Genius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 08:10 AM Reply

I don't see any changes in my account same performance!

Thejeremail
Thejeremail
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 10:51 AM Reply

Huge performance boost on the PC in-browser, little difference on other devices.
No issues encountered so far!

october262
october262
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 12:15 PM Reply

site works better than eve, but art/movie section do not have the rated A section only E,T and M please fix!!

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 1/19/14 06:52 AM, bnpla wrote: So it's a thing to have in mind when making changes to a game or movie, there might be a delay between the time you click save/publish and the time it actually updates the thing.

Yes, but after next week it'll be instant.

E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.

BBS Signature
Sunrie
Sunrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Animator
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 02:58 PM Reply

Ironically, this performance boost has made NG almost unusable on my netbook...which is what I used 99% of the time.

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 1/19/14 02:58 PM, Sunrie wrote: Ironically, this performance boost has made NG almost unusable on my netbook...which is what I used 99% of the time.

How so?

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 04:57 PM Reply

At 1/19/14 04:33 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 1/19/14 02:58 PM, Sunrie wrote: Ironically, this performance boost has made NG almost unusable on my netbook...which is what I used 99% of the time.
How so?

Newgrounds went so fast his CPU exploded?

original I am.

BBS Signature
SpikeVallentine
SpikeVallentine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 08:18 PM Reply

dat boost

I hope your day will be as bright as the sun!

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Oh baby, it feels good. real fine nuts good.

BBS Signature
TheAdventMaster
TheAdventMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 19th, 2014 @ 11:14 PM Reply

Serious performance boosts on my end. Animated movies actually load now.

Monocrom
Monocrom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 03:51 AM Reply

NG running well for me so far.

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 10:46 AM Reply

It's a lot faster now. Good work!!!!!!!!!!

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 12:36 PM Reply

Quick question.
Is it possible to embed videos on like Facebook or something if they don't have the little Embed button on the submission? Or would our best bet be to just post the link on there and have someone follow the link back to here?

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Pink-Ninja
Pink-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 01:52 PM Reply

All good my end...woosh!

*Sshhh... I'm an NSA spy bot

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 10:35 PM Reply

Seems to run faster now!

astranime
astranime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 11:41 AM Reply

My only problem is that the ad under the section bar is blocking the subsections =(

NG Performance Boost!

nick251
nick251
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 22nd, 2014 @ 09:49 AM Reply

I dont really see a difference..yet at least

oldmanorange
oldmanorange
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 22nd, 2014 @ 10:12 AM Reply

I would like to say I had some speed and loading issues. But I really just think it's my internet here at work. Well hope it all works out. Thanks

XXXX1234
XXXX1234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 22nd, 2014 @ 11:11 AM Reply

I can wach most moives here with out it frezzing on me and I tried other conputers and laptops!

BloodlustSweden
BloodlustSweden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 22nd, 2014 @ 04:36 PM Reply

TBH i haven't logged in since sometime in fall last year, but it's very slow right now...pages take 2-3 seconds extra and a music track à 10mb takes like 4 minutes to d/l..

XBL GT: MasterZeroFlash | PSN: BloodlustSweden
Life is a sickness with more victims than all forms of cancer put together.

IIPhase
IIPhase
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 08:06 AM Reply

As a website that is depending on bandwith, their dispute is costing you income.
I would put a claim on the losses it cost NG on the responsible companies.

Take a legal person to find out what can be claimed.
A site as big as yours loses a substantial amount of revenue when this happens.

Regards

Peter

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: Since May of 2013, NG has been experiencing degraded performance as a result of a peering dispute between Verizon and Cogent, our bandwidth provider. As a result, download speeds were slowing to a crawl during peak hours. The problem was getting worse and worse, with NG running poorly most of the time for Verizon users.

This week Brendon hooked us up with CloudFlare's content delivery network. Our DNS is now running through CF and they are working some serious magic to get our files to you faster than ever, all over the world.

It has been 24 hours since we made the DNS change so everyone SHOULD be able to access NG right now, but some ISPs may still be caching the old record. If you know someone who can't access NG, tell them to try again later today, or try Google Public DNS.

We're also still working out some kinks with things like caching. If you update your game or movie, it may take a while before you see the new version running until this gets sorted out.

BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

Now would be a good time to mention that our 2014 Supporter Upgrade is available, so you can browse NG with minimal ads and see the pages load even faster!

New entry below

Asandir
Asandir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 01:48 PM Reply

Site is slower than a snail right now for me.

Without truth, there is no justice.
Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users
Portal and Icon moderator

BBS Signature
Coraxus
Coraxus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 02:23 PM Reply

You know, I'm more worried in the future regarding the death of Net Neutrality. Now ISP can literally sabotage performance of websites they don't like.

Only I can make blue whales cry.

AgemoKire
AgemoKire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 06:59 PM Reply

It's actually a problem now for me, I use gs3 & nothing is loading up, just art & some movies, also im with T-Mobile, wouldn't it be better to make a separate website available for the networks for phones, sorry if it sounds confusing, just have the site separate from different types of users or networks, again sorry if its confusing, also I want to change my username, is it possible? Thank you for at least reading, have a nice day or night (^_^)/

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: Since May of 2013, NG has been experiencing degraded performance as a result of a peering dispute between Verizon and Cogent, our bandwidth provider. As a result, download speeds were slowing to a crawl during peak hours. The problem was getting worse and worse, with NG running poorly most of the time for Verizon users.

This week Brendon hooked us up with CloudFlare's content delivery network. Our DNS is now running through CF and they are working some serious magic to get our files to you faster than ever, all over the world.

It has been 24 hours since we made the DNS change so everyone SHOULD be able to access NG right now, but some ISPs may still be caching the old record. If you know someone who can't access NG, tell them to try again later today, or try Google Public DNS.

We're also still working out some kinks with things like caching. If you update your game or movie, it may take a while before you see the new version running until this gets sorted out.

BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

Now would be a good time to mention that our 2014 Supporter Upgrade is available, so you can browse NG with minimal ads and see the pages load even faster!
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 01:16 AM Reply

Art portal thumbnails are sporadically loading, filesizes are being incorrectly reported, and the pod text isn't 'stylized' or compressed or something.... other hiccups too, dunno if they're network related.

At 1/23/14 06:59 PM, AgemoKire wrote: It's actually a problem now for me, I use gs3 & nothing is loading up, just art & some movies, also im with T-Mobile, wouldn't it be better to make a separate website available for the networks for phones, sorry if it sounds confusing, just have the site separate from different types of users or networks, again sorry if its confusing, also I want to change my username, is it possible? Thank you for at least reading, have a nice day or night (^_^)/

It sounds like a Flash issue, but if it is network related, the staff is looking at it. Newgrounds is right smack-dab in the middle of a war online, between very large companies with billions of dollars at stake. And we're caught in the crossfire.. "Problems of the future, today", indeed. Instead of a gay-ass sunburst on the FP, we should have pictures of Detroit... start living up to our heritage again. Or I'm just sentimental, and slightly stoned again.

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature