TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:08 PM Reply

Since May of 2013, NG has been experiencing degraded performance as a result of a peering dispute between Verizon and Cogent, our bandwidth provider. As a result, download speeds were slowing to a crawl during peak hours. The problem was getting worse and worse, with NG running poorly most of the time for Verizon users.

This week Brendon hooked us up with CloudFlare's content delivery network. Our DNS is now running through CF and they are working some serious magic to get our files to you faster than ever, all over the world.

It has been 24 hours since we made the DNS change so everyone SHOULD be able to access NG right now, but some ISPs may still be caching the old record. If you know someone who can't access NG, tell them to try again later today, or try Google Public DNS.

We're also still working out some kinks with things like caching. If you update your game or movie, it may take a while before you see the new version running until this gets sorted out.

BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

Now would be a good time to mention that our 2014 Supporter Upgrade is available, so you can browse NG with minimal ads and see the pages load even faster!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Jindo
Jindo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:11 PM Reply

I seem to be unable to change my avatar but otherwise everything seems great!

BBS Signature
Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Awesome! Thanks Brandon!

Is this by any chance related to the weird errors that happened every now and then when trying to load a page?

So far everything seems to be running smoothly on my end, but I think it's a bit early for me to tell.

BBS Signature
Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:14 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:11 PM, Expectrum wrote: Awesome! Thanks Brandon*!

Brendon*

Please don't hurt me.

At 1/16/14 01:11 PM, Jindo wrote: I seem to be unable to change my avatar but otherwise everything seems great!

Hmmm... I was experiencing the same thing yesterday but uploading a picture exactly 270x200 solved it for me.

BBS Signature
Organised-Chaos
Organised-Chaos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:15 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: Since May of 2013, NG has been experiencing degraded performance as a result of a peering dispute between Verizon and Cogent, our bandwidth provider. As a result, download speeds were slowing to a crawl during peak hours. The problem was getting worse and worse, with NG running poorly most of the time for Verizon users.

This week Brendon hooked us up with CloudFlare's content delivery network. Our DNS is now running through CF and they are working some serious magic to get our files to you faster than ever, all over the world.

It has been 24 hours since we made the DNS change so everyone SHOULD be able to access NG right now, but some ISPs may still be caching the old record. If you know someone who can't access NG, tell them to try again later today, or try Google Public DNS.

We're also still working out some kinks with things like caching. If you update your game or movie, it may take a while before you see the new version running until this gets sorted out.

BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

Now would be a good time to mention that our 2014 Supporter Upgrade is available, so you can browse NG with minimal ads and see the pages load even faster!

This would definitely explain the issues I've been seeing over the last 24hours or so.

Although in the past 10 mins or so I've noticed differences between ng on seperate devices, still somewhat intermittent but I'm hoping this gets sorted soon! it's starting to get annoying, the frequency at which it seem(s/ed) to be occurring (pages not loading and whatnot)

BBS Signature
Jindo
Jindo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:14 PM, Expectrum wrote:
At 1/16/14 01:11 PM, Jindo wrote: I seem to be unable to change my avatar but otherwise everything seems great!
Hmmm... I was experiencing the same thing yesterday but uploading a picture exactly 270x200 solved it for me.

Just checked and the image I was attempting to upload matched those dimensions, unfortunately.

Thanks though!

BBS Signature
FrozenFire
FrozenFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Game Developer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:

AH so that's why ads came back! I didn't realize my supporter upgrade died out. Upgraded again.

Sweeeet :)

Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:21 PM Reply

Ah man, fantastic Tom! I'll keep an eye out for the changes as I browse!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:23 PM Reply

Getting some DNS errors when visiting userpages.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
kkots
kkots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:27 PM Reply

God this CACHE is a pain! I've lost hope that it will ever behave as expected. It's supposed to ease the life, but in particular situations I wish it never existed.

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:27 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

It's flying for me. I noticed immediately after the upgrade the speed difference.

Go Bren! Woooooooooo.

#coys

BBS Signature
Metallica1136
Metallica1136
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:31 PM Reply

I'm unable to access some people's pages (including my own) :/

Searching for the answers. There's a universe inside us all. Every passing lifetime. Important as the last.

Evark
Evark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:38 PM Reply

We always had lingering issues for about 72 hours after changing DNS providers. Seems it takes 48+ hours for a DNS change like that to propagate through the wide-world of DNS providers. Good work, Brendon.

BBS Signature
BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:23 PM, Slint wrote: Getting some DNS errors when visiting userpages.
At 1/16/14 01:31 PM, Metallica1136 wrote: I'm unable to access some people's pages (including my own) :/

We're working on this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1358875#bbspost24945971_post_text

I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Reader
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:39 PM Reply

I had been wondering for a while why things loaded so slow on NG, but everything seems to be loading MUCH faster for me now.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:41 PM Reply

It's So Fast You're Going To Get A Speeding Ticket

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:45 PM Reply

Feels about 20% faster overall, almost twice as fast in the forums, and it was already pretty fast without showing ads. My userpage gave a cloudflare dns error yesterday, but it's fine now.

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: BURNING QUESTION: How is Newgrounds running for you today? Is it better than ever? The same? Do you FEEL the difference?

I wasn't aware that NG was ever running slowly, so I'm not noticing any difference.

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:51 PM Reply

I have FIOS and I was never unable to access NG, but I do notice that everything is loading faster!

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:53 PM Reply

I do feel things going faster/smoother today. Tell BrenBren he did a good job!

II II lI

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:58 PM Reply

WOOO SUPPORTER UPGRADE!!! I HAS ALL THREE!

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 01:58 PM Reply

Great! Newgrounds has often run slowly for me, but it seems fine right now.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:00 PM Reply

The site is running great, however I'm having trouble accessing userpages.

I get a Cloudflare error page that says the most likely reason for the error is that the website just signed up for Cloudflare.

Otherwise I've notices no kinks or discrepancies :)

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:05 PM Reply

I've been in the mature section all morning and it's been loading so fast. Dont walk over here Tom.

None

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 02:05 PM, Luis wrote: I've been in the mature section all morning and it's been loading so fast. Dont walk over here Tom.

hey Luis why is there mayonnaise everywhere?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:11 PM Reply

so Tom when will the EXP system get a overhaul? will we get a Supporter forum section? Lit portal when is that getting implemented?

Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: Since May of 2013, NG has been experiencing degraded performance as a result of a peering dispute between Verizon and Cogent, our bandwidth provider. As a result, download speeds were slowing to a crawl during peak hours. The problem was getting worse and worse, with NG running poorly most of the time for Verizon users.

Every now and then I hear about a problem with the website, that ends up being to do with the ISP. It makes sense to try someone else.

Honestly, I can't tell. I've got probably typical bandwidth for a UK user, about 50mb. But it certainly isn't slow and everything seems just fine.

I'll be sure to check that out.

However; every time I click on a user's "supporter" links I get this: http://www.newgrounds.com/store/product/supporter-upgrade
"ERROR — You are looking for a product that doesn't exist!"

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:17 PM Reply

Well....sorta. I mean, I'm a supporter. So it was running pretty decently beforehand.
I suppose it's running better now.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 1/16/14 02:14 PM, Conal wrote:
At 1/16/14 01:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: Now would be a good time to mention that our 2014 Supporter Upgrade is available, so you can browse NG with minimal ads and see the pages load even faster!
I'll be sure to check that out.

However; every time I click on a user's "supporter" links I get this: http://www.newgrounds.com/store/product/supporter-upgrade
"ERROR — You are looking for a product that doesn't exist!"

I am getting the same thing when I click the supporter title on the user panel on the BBS

FunkyPope
FunkyPope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to NG Performance Boost! Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 02:22 PM Reply

Newgrounds is currently running better than ever for me, in the few months I've had an account and the several years I would swing by to watch some video game parodies and play some games lol.
My general location is Southern California, and my ISP is verizon, for the record. I was having some major lag issues the last two days but they're gone now!
Supporter ugrade here i come