00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Shade? Water colours? So beautiful!

622 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi guys,

Firstly I would just like to say that I got discharged from hospital today so im on the mend and hopefully in two weeks will be back to full fitness :). But now I have access to my PC again and my creative jiuces are flowing I shall be learning and posting up ALOT of pictures (Just a warning as I am not the best but I shall be learning as I go!)

Anyway for a few days I have seen these fantastic pictures/drawings of people/characters and I have watched a few videos of others being done. But I am at a loss of how this is done, I know it is a brush (Well im assuming) in Photoshop, but the way its done just looks to easy for the outcome. I have been looking, but for the life of me can not find a tutorial on this process from start to finish! Does anybody know of any tutorials or how it is actually done from just the imagination and scratch and not from over the top of a picture. I dont understand how accuratly they get the lines when using that brush. Why doesnt it go outside and why is it always the perfect shade?

Ive attched two youtube videos so you guys know what im on about.

Thanks any help would be much appriciated as I would love to try this.

- Zane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGskZLsxozs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUdnvItnV1U&list=PLE5594D2F711167B3&index=25

Nothing!

Response to Shade? Water colours? So beautiful! 2014-01-09 17:07:53

At 1/9/14 04:10 PM, ZaneKade wrote: I dont understand how accuratly they get the lines when using that brush. Why doesnt it go outside and why is it always the perfect shade?

Shitloads of practice.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Shade? Water colours? So beautiful! 2014-01-09 17:24:25

At 1/9/14 05:07 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 1/9/14 04:10 PM, ZaneKade wrote: I dont understand how accuratly they get the lines when using that brush. Why doesnt it go outside and why is it always the perfect shade?
Shitloads of practice.

I did kind of figure that lol. Any chance you know of a tutorial? Id love to start practising it properly.

Nothing!

Response to Shade? Water colours? So beautiful! 2014-01-09 17:40:45

Shitloads of practice.

I dont really agree with that aigis.
You could still do shittons of practice and not improve.
Doing the right kind of practice is what makes one improve, imo at least.

He basically stated his whole process, so if you know fundamentals you should be able to figure out what he has done.

First he makes a construction sketch, this is where he establishes his proportions.
What he also does at this stage is think about the forms that go with the anatomy of the head, and how he will apply it.

After that, he shapes the forms to his likings using shadow and light (black and white).
mid tones first, blackest blacks and brightest whites after

First he does the bigger shapes, this allows him to kind of see how the finished will look like.
After the bigger shapes he does the smaller, and goes into detail.

Shade? Water colours? So beautiful!

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Shade? Water colours? So beautiful! 2014-01-09 17:49:48

At 1/9/14 05:40 PM, Flowers10 wrote:
Shitloads of practice.
I dont really agree with that aigis.
You could still do shittons of practice and not improve.
Doing the right kind of practice is what makes one improve, imo at least.

He basically stated his whole process, so if you know fundamentals you should be able to figure out what he has done.

First he makes a construction sketch, this is where he establishes his proportions.
What he also does at this stage is think about the forms that go with the anatomy of the head, and how he will apply it.

After that, he shapes the forms to his likings using shadow and light (black and white).
mid tones first, blackest blacks and brightest whites after

First he does the bigger shapes, this allows him to kind of see how the finished will look like.
After the bigger shapes he does the smaller, and goes into detail.

Thank you for the details and the picture. That is actually very helpful, even though thats how I draw well Ill put it as normal style which to me is sketch/ line/ colour/ shade/ finish. That was still helpful .

The tones I understand what I was bewildered with mostly were the brushes he seemed to be using and the shade he seemed to be getting straight away. Not to mention that he just seemed to blast the stuff on. Ive always used lines ive never seen something where the brush has been so big its just made a leg or torso with there being a line there and then it all coming into place not to mention the overlay (again im guessing hes using layers) getting the definition that it does.

Thanks,

- Zane

Nothing!

Response to Shade? Water colours? So beautiful! 2014-01-09 17:58:26

At 1/9/14 05:49 PM, ZaneKade wrote:
Thank you for the details and the picture. That is actually very helpful, even though thats how I draw well Ill put it as normal style which to me is sketch/ line/ colour/ shade/ finish. That was still helpful .

The tones I understand what I was bewildered with mostly were the brushes he seemed to be using and the shade he seemed to be getting straight away. Not to mention that he just seemed to blast the stuff on. Ive always used lines ive never seen something where the brush has been so big its just made a leg or torso with there being a line there and then it all coming into place not to mention the overlay (again im guessing hes using layers) getting the definition that it does.

Thanks,

- Zane

Thats what i mean with doing the right kind of practice.
Understanding of basicshapes, and anatomy play a big role in why he can do what he does.
The thing with the brush is the opacity option in photoshop.
Using bigger brushes will fill the canvas faster which translates to faster results.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Shade? Water colours? So beautiful! 2014-01-09 18:13:47

Thats what i mean with doing the right kind of practice.
Understanding of basicshapes, and anatomy play a big role in why he can do what he does.
The thing with the brush is the opacity option in photoshop.
Using bigger brushes will fill the canvas faster which translates to faster results.

Ah ok. Thanks very much. Ill give it a try and post up a pic to let everyone know how I got on. Even if it is rubbish it doesnt matter as I will hopefully get some pointers.

Thanks,

- Zane

Nothing!