Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 09:09 AM Reply

Adventure Noob

What they lack in experience they make up with enthusiasm for killing level 1 rats in cellars.

You just aren’t sure if its a little boy or a girl…seems rude to ask.

Times up folks, good work with this challenge, there was a lot of the variety I wanted to see.

Art Weeklies

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 09:40 AM Reply

So due to there being some demand for harder or more specific challenges I am going to start splitting the challenges into tiers, I want to keep this thread as inclusive as possible so anyone can participate but if people want harder stuff to do well they can try to do the harder versions of the challenge.

week 3 ROBO Challenge

Basic Challenge: Design and illustrate a character that is completely robotic in nature. I suggest using simple shapes and building upon them, don't forget the fundamentals of perspective!

Advanced Challenge: Design and illustrate a new Robot Master for Capcom's new Megaman game. Needs to look on model, meaning the style has to match or come close to legitimate Megaman art. Can be the more simple designs from the original Megaman or the more complicated designs of Megaman X +. Some things to consider are that many of them are based off of animals or simple machines and follow the same sort of body plan.

Heroic Challenge: If you're not a fan of Megaman or that style and want something more challenging and serious... Design and illustrate a western or eastern styled giant mecha. Examples include Mechwarrior and Battletech for western styled machines, and Gundam and Armored Core for eastern styled machines. I highly suggest using many references if you're going to attempt this.

Omnipotent God Emperor Challenge: Do both the Advanced and Heroic Challenges, or actually build and program a giant mecha and go on an unstoppable rampage of destruction in Japan. Take pics as proof.

Art Weeklies

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 1/20/14 09:40 AM, Template88 wrote:
Basic Challenge: Design and illustrate a character that is completely robotic in nature.

Are things like pilots allowed to be included?

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 1/20/14 02:18 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote:
Basic Challenge: Design and illustrate a character that is completely robotic in nature.

Sure if you're into that. Makin' a giant robot eh?

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 02:31 PM Reply

At 1/20/14 02:26 PM, Template88 wrote:
At 1/20/14 02:18 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote:
Sure if you're into that. Makin' a giant robot eh?

Maybe. Maybe 2 ;)

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 03:53 PM Reply

Omnipotent God Emperor Challenge: Do both the Advanced and Heroic Challenges, or actually build and program a giant mecha and go on an unstoppable rampage of destruction in Japan. Take pics as proof.

Now this is the point where I regret not doing daily art exercises to be ready for this challenge and didn't pursue a career as evil robot engineer mastermind.

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 1/20/14 02:26 PM, Template88 wrote: Sure if you're into that. Makin' a giant robot eh?

Maybe he wants to make a very small robot piloted by a hamster.

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 04:57 PM Reply

At 1/20/14 04:19 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 1/20/14 02:26 PM, Template88 wrote: Sure if you're into that. Makin' a giant robot eh?
Maybe he wants to make a very small robot piloted by a hamster.

Thats very true. Also guys don't get overly worried or intimidated by this, the basic challenge is not meant to be hard at all to do. Any figure can be made into a mechanical version simply by adding a few doll joints and panel lines and changing the eyes a bit, maybe adding a few exhaust ports and a gear or two and coloring it a little differently.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 1/20/14 04:57 PM, Template88 wrote: Thats very true. Also guys don't get overly worried or intimidated by this, the basic challenge is not meant to be hard at all to do. Any figure can be made into a mechanical version simply by adding a few doll joints and panel lines and changing the eyes a bit, maybe adding a few exhaust ports and a gear or two and coloring it a little differently.

I just started slapping a bunch of shapes and objects together and I'm calling it a robot. I'll probably add some more mechanical and electronic looking parts to it once I sort out the mess i've made thus far.

Art Weeklies

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 20th, 2014 @ 10:00 PM Reply

At 1/20/14 05:13 PM, Sockembop wrote: I just started slapping a bunch of shapes and objects together and I'm calling it a robot. I'll probably add some more mechanical and electronic looking parts to it once I sort out the mess i've made thus far.

I think I'm gonna call it done.

Art Weeklies

BBS Signature
Nacco
Nacco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 01:55 AM Reply

At 1/20/14 10:00 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 1/20/14 05:13 PM, Sockembop wrote: I just started slapping a bunch of shapes and objects together and I'm calling it a robot. I'll probably add some more mechanical and electronic looking parts to it once I sort out the mess i've made thus far.

That could come straight out of the movie WALL-E, really well done.

I wish I had the time for this challenge, is it okay if I still post one after the week is over?

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 03:19 AM Reply

At 1/20/14 10:00 PM, Sockembop wrote:

His tracks seem to be angled towards each other, which would make for unnecessary friction.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 06:02 AM Reply

Something I'm very bad at...
I'm gonna skip this after this failed attempt of doing something based solely on my imagination. >.>

Art Weeklies

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 07:18 AM Reply

I know I've said i wanted something more specific but noobs are fun :P
might even finish this

On that note i think the other challange is spefic in a wrong way.
in the advanced/heroic you are kinda limiting the artists to certain syles, which imo kinda kills the creativity since you cant be creative.

I was thinking you could give the robots a function, this requires people to think about how the robot will be applied to do this function. For example limit it to mobile drilling robots, this would require people to think about how a robot with a massive drill would move around, where the ground it digs up would go, and in what kind of situations this would be used.And maybe an environment the robot would have to work in, this might be a bit much tho.

Being creative with these limits is what makes it fun imo. Like you could have a flying drill, or like a worm drill. Or if the environment is deep sea you would have to have a fishlike drill which would have to take on immense pressure.
Also all of the challenges seem characters?

Sorry I'm such a whiner >,<

Art Weeklies

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 07:39 AM Reply

At 1/21/14 07:18 AM, Flowers10 wrote: I know I've said i wanted something more specific but noobs are fun :P
might even finish this

in the advanced/heroic you are kinda limiting the artists to certain syles, which imo kinda kills the creativity since you cant be creative.

I was thinking you could give the robots a function, this requires people to think about how the robot will be applied to do this function. For example limit it to mobile drilling robots, this would require people to think about how a robot with a massive drill would move around, where the ground it digs up would go, and in what kind of situations this would be used.And maybe an environment the robot would have to work in, this might be a bit much tho.

Being creative with these limits is what makes it fun imo. Like you could have a flying drill, or like a worm drill. Or if the environment is deep sea you would have to have a fishlike drill which would have to take on immense pressure.

Nah, I get your concern. I dont have much against these tiers (since I love MechWarrior and always wanted to draw one) but I can see why you perceive it as problematic. I do, however, not believe that it is part of the task to draw a robot that fits into these franchises 1:1, but rather one with the characteristics of these styles. Trying to draw a mecha with the stylistic devices of the originals (like heavily stylized, childish megaman look or the monumental, heavy, tank-style battlemechs) is the charm of this task, not to completely copy the artstyle of said franchises.

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 09:49 AM Reply

At 1/21/14 03:19 AM, J-qb wrote: His tracks seem to be angled towards each other, which would make for unnecessary friction.

Oh yeah. For sure they are, damn. I took the lazy route out and copied and pasted the far track to avoid painting it twice but I didn't consider the slight change in perspective. Thanks for pointing that out.

BBS Signature
trifle-confusion
trifle-confusion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 12:57 PM Reply

@Sockembop:
that robot looks really cool!

here's what I made of it. nobody said it had to be ground bound! :P
he's got solar panels on his head, neck and back for extra energy. his tail can be bent upwards, so he can stand on his hind legs. gave him eyes similar to those of flies, cuz they're said to be a really good eye type. forgot where I heard that though..

hope you can see the details a bit.. the scanner ate the tail a bit.

Art Weeklies

Comment for a comment! Critique for a critique!

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 03:25 PM Reply

WIP.
Will be done somewhen between tomorrow and Friday.

Art Weeklies

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 1/21/14 07:18 AM, Flowers10 wrote: I know I've said i wanted something more specific but noobs are fun :P
might even finish this

I can't really agree. The point is to challenge your creative boundaries, not necessarily to explore your style. You learn a great deal by mimicking other styles, which is exactly what this challenge is about. At the same time, you're asked to mimic a style, not an entire character. What animal the megaman robot is based on, its pose, its characteristics is all left up to you. It just has to look like something you'd see in a megaman game. Ditto for the epic challenge of designing a mecha. Even if he hadn't told me to look up references, I would have done so anyway. I have no idea how to draw mecha.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 21st, 2014 @ 05:05 PM Reply

The issue with having a more specific challenge is it limits the people the challenge will appeal to. Right now the challenges are vague and open-ended, and participation is high.
just because the challenges aren't super difficult by default doesn't mean toy can't put your own stipulations on them.

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 22nd, 2014 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 1/21/14 06:02 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Something I'm very bad at...
I'm gonna skip this after this failed attempt of doing something based solely on my imagination. >.>

I think you've got some fine ideas on this page and you shouldn't give up so easily.

Art Weeklies

BBS Signature
123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 23rd, 2014 @ 10:55 AM Reply

At 1/22/14 11:56 AM, Sockembop wrote:
At 1/21/14 06:02 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Something I'm very bad at...
I think you've got some fine ideas on this page and you shouldn't give up so easily.

OMG that is amazing.

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Cairos
Cairos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 24th, 2014 @ 12:15 AM Reply

Blastman.

Art Weeklies

BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 09:09 AM Reply

Here is mine : D

Art Weeklies

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

karafrm
karafrm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 10:25 AM Reply

Hope I'm not too late for this.
It's a robot goat, used to harvest rocks mostly. I guess this goes into Basic since I kept pretty close with the organic anatomy?

Art Weeklies

Quit procrastinating, work on your art.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 10:39 AM Reply

This challenge is going a lot better than I expected it to. Sad to see only one megaman styled one, but these are all great. I'll be finished with mine tomorrow I think, if I color it.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 12:02 PM Reply

At 1/26/14 10:39 AM, Template88 wrote: This challenge is going a lot better than I expected it to. Sad to see only one megaman styled one, but these are all great. I'll be finished with mine tomorrow I think, if I color it.

Originaly, I wanted to create both a MW and a megaman robot for the emperor tier, but RL decided to steal all time from me :(

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 05:26 PM Reply

At 1/26/14 12:02 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote:
At 1/26/14 10:39 AM, Template88 wrote: This challenge is going a lot better than I expected it to. Sad to see only one megaman styled one, but these are all great. I'll be finished with mine tomorrow I think, if I color it.
Originaly, I wanted to create both a MW and a megaman robot for the emperor tier, but RL decided to steal all time from me :(

Me too my friend, me too :C Pretty legit looking Mech man. I'm proud. I'm going the megaman route, gotta give Cairos some competition...

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature