Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 12th, 2014 @ 12:03 PM Reply

At 1/11/14 09:29 AM, Template88 wrote: honk

Reminds me of the Wretched Egg from Deadman Wonderland. Looks sadistic and evil, mad from pain, possibly trapped.

BBS Signature
Sr-Estroncio
Sr-Estroncio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 09:59 AM Reply

Fuck. I'm travelling and got less time than I wanted for drawing, wasn't able to really end my pic... I managed to do the lines, though, and the important design stuff is on it, so I'll just post now and then finish it up some other time and upload it to the portal.

Art Weeklies

Sr-Estroncio
Sr-Estroncio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 10:01 AM Reply

Quality was reduced to poop for some reason, higher quality here : http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a151ea020eeec4129f7e3b78aa11ee0b

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 10:23 AM Reply

Lookin good guys. Times up. I'll put up the new challenge in a few hours.

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 1/13/14 10:23 AM, Template88 wrote: Lookin good guys. Times up. I'll put up the new challenge in a few hours.

Cool.
I'll try doing better this time. >.>

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 01:23 PM Reply

Second Challenge

So for whatever reason X company has commissioned you to design the main hero/protagonist of their fantasy story/game/comic.

They didn't really give you any instructions on what they should specifically look like, but its implied that it should be a character that can speak to a wide audience and has a classic likability to them.

Have you ever really thought about what goes into making a protagonist visually likable or interesting? Now's your chance to see what it feels like to go through the process!

The fantasy genre is pretty open to your own interpretation, go nuts and be bold.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Sr-Estroncio
Sr-Estroncio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 05:09 PM Reply

So... Do we like, tell what concepts our characters represented now? Some I saw were pretty obvious, but some still have me in doubt.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 1/13/14 05:09 PM, Sr-Estroncio wrote: So... Do we like, tell what concepts our characters represented now? Some I saw were pretty obvious, but some still have me in doubt.

Sure, if you want.

Mine was pain or agony

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 1/13/14 01:23 PM, Template88 wrote: Second Challenge

So for whatever reason X company has commissioned you to design the main hero/protagonist of their fantasy story/game/comic.

They didn't really give you any instructions on what they should specifically look like, but its implied that it should be a character that can speak to a wide audience and has a classic likability to them.

Have you ever really thought about what goes into making a protagonist visually likable or interesting? Now's your chance to see what it feels like to go through the process!

The fantasy genre is pretty open to your own interpretation, go nuts and be bold.

Is X Company supposed to be a real company with a real fantasy story/game/comic thing or is it supposed to be a made up company and story/game/comic to make our character for? I feel like participating but am a little unclear.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 08:36 PM Reply

Its a scenario to get you in the mindset of designing your character. Dont take it too seriously though, this ones a little bit tougher than the last one but you should have fun with it because your professional integrity isn't actually being challenged the way it would be if you actually were commissioned by company X to do this.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 09:18 PM Reply

At 1/13/14 08:36 PM, Template88 wrote: Its a scenario to get you in the mindset of designing your character. Dont take it too seriously though, this ones a little bit tougher than the last one but you should have fun with it because your professional integrity isn't actually being challenged the way it would be if you actually were commissioned by company X to do this.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying everything. I shall get to work immediately!

BBS Signature
Sr-Estroncio
Sr-Estroncio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 1/13/14 07:38 PM, Template88 wrote:
At 1/13/14 05:09 PM, Sr-Estroncio wrote: So... Do we like, tell what concepts our characters represented now? Some I saw were pretty obvious, but some still have me in doubt.
Sure, if you want.

Mine was pain or agony

Mine was apathy.

takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 09:59 PM Reply

mine was worth. be it self-worth or material.

indulgence is pretty close, though.

BBS Signature
ThePsychoSheep
ThePsychoSheep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 10:09 PM Reply

Ohh I really like this new challenge.Will start working on it as soon as possible.As for the previous challenge,my character represented hypocrisy

I think something smart has to be written in here but im too dumb to think it up
Click signature for my DeviantArt

BBS Signature
Nacco
Nacco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 13th, 2014 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 1/13/14 01:23 PM, Template88 wrote: Second Challenge

This one should appeal to a pretty wide audience. Marketing did some thorough research and this came out of it.
I am starting to question the value of holding these focus groups in shopping malls though.

Sorry for the bad quality. I didn't have access to my scanner so I had to take a picture with the crappy camera on my phone which is basically potato.

Art Weeklies

123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 14th, 2014 @ 05:34 AM Reply

Here's mine. Hope I did it right.

Art Weeklies

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 14th, 2014 @ 10:15 PM Reply

I began work on my character and by the time I finished the sketch it looked like a really bad drawing of Jayne wearing his hat.

For those who never watched Firefly the picture explains what I mean.

Art Weeklies

BBS Signature
Cairos
Cairos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 15th, 2014 @ 01:36 AM Reply

Knight of Nowhere.

Art Weeklies

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 15th, 2014 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 1/15/14 01:36 AM, Cairos wrote: Knight of Nowhere.

neat, but with no usually visible face how is he(?) going to show emotion and interact with the other characters in the setting?
how will people become attached to him as a character?

just something to think about.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 15th, 2014 @ 01:48 AM Reply

oh, but i'm not trying to devalue your design, its good!

i dunno if you've played the game dark souls, but the main character is silent and fully armored and usually has a face covering that obscures their entire head/features as well.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Cairos
Cairos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 15th, 2014 @ 03:28 AM Reply

At 1/15/14 01:48 AM, Template88 wrote:
oh, but i'm not trying to devalue your design, its good!

i dunno if you've played the game dark souls, but the main character is silent and fully armored and usually has a face covering that obscures their entire head/features as well.

Understandable, but it's expected in a scenario like this that the first draft will not always be accepted. Things might be sent back and need to be revised. All part of the production process.

I'm absolutely no stranger to video games and yes Dark Souls influenced me in covering the face. I do personally find it more impactful.

Art Weeklies

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 15th, 2014 @ 04:38 AM Reply

This was actually a pretty fun experiment with theming and whatnot. Hopefully I have time to spruce these up a bit, maybe throw on some colors.

Art Weeklies

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 15th, 2014 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 1/15/14 01:45 AM, Template88 wrote:
neat, but with no usually visible face how is he(?) going to show emotion and interact with the other characters in the setting?
how will people become attached to him as a character?

just something to think about.

On one hand you do have a point but on the other hand , i think a character that overcomes archetypes is far more interesting than one who comes out of the pot. I really loved the mysterious look Cairos gave him! And also , a protagonist can be anyone , even a villain. It all comes down to the point of view the author gives us! For example , the protagonist of Ledroit's "Requiem" comics is far , far more evil than many characters you would consider as villains. So yeah , i think its all bout the POV and the targeted audience. Both Conan and Ash Ketchum are incredibly popular protagonists with huge fanbase , if you know what i mean :P

Also , amazing thread! I hope i will manage to post my own contribution soon!

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 15th, 2014 @ 08:37 PM Reply

I got a character out inspired by Fritz The Cat but I must say it still sucks as my art usually does but I hope to improve. Basically what I went for was to have a really good face and then the farther down I got on the paper the more it sucked in my opinion.

Art Weeklies

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 10:10 PM Reply

A good hero should be a Canadian citizen just in case the villain is a moose.

Art Weeklies

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 16th, 2014 @ 10:16 PM Reply

At 1/13/14 01:23 PM, Template88 wrote: So for whatever reason X company has commissioned you to design the main hero/protagonist of their fantasy story/game/comic.

I think giving the assignments more restrictions would make it a lot more fun.
More restriction will require people to be more creative.

Right now you could basically make up a story, and make the character fit however you want.
Too easy imo. Nonetheless i made something

Made this one to show it doesn't require a face to show of the emotion of a character, a pose should be enough to get the feeling across. And even though a character might be an evil villain he can still come off as nice or charismatic.

Art Weeklies

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 17th, 2014 @ 12:07 AM Reply

At 1/16/14 10:10 PM, Sockembop wrote: A good hero should be a Canadian citizen just in case the villain is a moose.

Number 12

risebeyond
risebeyond
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 17th, 2014 @ 02:50 AM Reply

Well as we can see the term fantasy covers a VERY broad spectrum. I ended up going in a more supernatural direction so whether that qualifies as fantasy or not is up for debate. So far I have some bland doodles of the same girl with a story. A story more Danny Phantom-esque, as her spirit can leaver her body at will, though more of a visual novel aimed at a much less kid friendly audience. But, we'll see where it goes as I work on her some more. I'm not nearly finished with her "spirit" design, but that will come together more when I begin laying colour down. I began with her school uniform but it bored me to tears so I added a casual outfit that again isn't finished. Other than her face, which had remained the same the rest of her has gone through several style changes. So far all I can really say I like is her hair and face, the rest is still rather plain. We shall have to see if I finish it though.

Art Weeklies

123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 17th, 2014 @ 09:18 AM Reply

At 1/15/14 08:37 PM, Atlas wrote: I got a character out inspired by Fritz The Cat but I must say it still sucks as my art usually does but I hope to improve. Basically what I went for was to have a really good face and then the farther down I got on the paper the more it sucked in my opinion.

OMG! What the heck is that!? xD
Let's improve together! :D

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Art Weeklies Jan. 17th, 2014 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 1/17/14 09:18 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
At 1/15/14 08:37 PM, Atlas wrote: I got a character out inspired by Fritz The Cat but I must say it still sucks as my art usually does but I hope to improve. Basically what I went for was to have a really good face and then the farther down I got on the paper the more it sucked in my opinion.
OMG! What the heck is that!? xD
Let's improve together! :D

I'm not sure what it is. Also I think I need to improve a lot more than you do.

BBS Signature