00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Lacking inspiration?

1,071 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-03 14:41:52

So I plop myself down in front of my MIDI keyboard, boot up Pro Tools, and sit staring at it. Other than doing covers of existing tracks, I haven't had much musical inspiration as of late.

Anyone have any tips on how to restart the creative flow?

Response to Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-03 14:58:40

At 1/3/14 02:41 PM, AstroApe wrote: So I plop myself down in front of my MIDI keyboard, boot up Pro Tools, and sit staring at it. Other than doing covers of existing tracks, I haven't had much musical inspiration as of late.

Find someone who needs music for a project . You will probably need to work outside of your comfort base so it will give you new perspectives .

Response to Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-03 15:23:51

Boredom is a great inspiration. Nothing wrong with just sitting down and writing with nothing in mind.
If you need real inspiration, try listening to some new music or pay extra attention to music in a game or something? Whenever I play visual novels I usually get excited and inspired by the soundtrack that I go off on a writing spree so that may help

Response to Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-03 15:53:56

Things that inspire me:

1. Stepping away from the computer. Seriously, I don't know what it is about the computer screen, but my mind always seems to be buzzing with melodic ideas when I'm not on it. Then as soon as I open up Ableton... poof, ideas gone. This is one reason why it's really helpful to learn an instrument.
2. Coffee.
3. Listening to really good music by my peers. Hearing someone I know put out a really great song is just really exciting to me. I'm really happy for them but it also pushes me to want to do better myself.
4. Listening to really good music that I haven't heard before.
5. Alcohol. Use in moderation, kids.
6. Going running. It gets endorphins flowing.

The best way I've found to get guaranteed inspiration is to go running and then drink coffee afterwards. I used to do this at college every week or so and I always came up with inventive ideas.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-03 15:59:34

At 1/3/14 02:41 PM, AstroApe wrote: So I plop myself down in front of my MIDI keyboard, boot up Pro Tools, and sit staring at it. Other than doing covers of existing tracks, I haven't had much musical inspiration as of late.

There are days you are more creative and those you are not. But this doesnt mean you wont be able to compose good stuff. Here are several methods i am using when composing:

* just sit down and play / improvise chord progressions. Be experimental and take your time to listen to each chord as deep as possible. If i am doing this while sitting on my piano i am getting in a strange constitution. After a while the idea comes and i know what i want to do and BANG: There is the inspiration. Its a matter of training. Dont try to "force" creativity but create the space where it can "appear".

* when composing i love to watch movies without sound. The pictures you are watching are always an inspiration. Try to create something which fits to the movie, which highlights the feel / mood of the scenes.

* take a walk or read a good book.

* sit down at the piano and play some random notes. Take them and analyse them. You wil find interesting musical ideas much more often as you might think.

Hope that helped a little bit :D

Happy new year!

BBS Signature

Response to Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-03 20:03:04

Listen to a random country's national anthem, overanalyze, & enjoy.

BBS Signature

Response to Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-04 12:05:40

At 1/3/14 03:53 PM, johnfn wrote: Things that inspire me:

1. Stepping away from the computer. Seriously, I don't know what it is about the computer screen, but my mind always seems to be buzzing with melodic ideas when I'm not on it. Then as soon as I open up Ableton... poof, ideas gone. This is one reason why it's really helpful to learn an instrument.

^ This. This so much.

Response to Lacking inspiration? 2014-01-04 12:42:07

Just mess around with some chords and then try playing melody on top of it and let your creativity take you from there

Just a random idiot