Be a Supporter!

Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs!

  • 9,113 Views
  • 119 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 12/5/13 12:41 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: UPDATE:

I'm happy to hear about this. Great job man!


Whirlguy Whirls your Whirld.

BBS Signature
Asandir
Asandir
  • Member since: Dec. 23, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 04:15 PM Reply

At 12/5/13 10:56 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/4/13 10:19 PM, ixfd64 wrote: However, I have a question: how do I switch between the rich text editor and the raw text editor? As silly as it sounds, I sometimes prefer to edit the raw markup directly.
That's not planned at the moment but we'll have to have a talk about it.

Not a fan of hearing that there are no plans for that, not at all. Can't make newspost with any tags in advance as I can't back them up as textfiles. The tag formats where even changed so every newspost that I backed up as newspost is now completely useless. That makes this update an absolutely disaster for me. But still nice work on making embed newgrounds mp4's and multiple pictures work, that is still something good, especially for artists.


Without truth, there is no justice.
Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users
Portal and Icon moderator

BBS Signature
ShiroiAkuma
ShiroiAkuma
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

Seriously, someone should correct the black text selection color into a more eye friendly one. You can barely see what you have selected in the new blog post system. Because of the very dark grayish background. Excuse my poor English. Besides this, it's fine.

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 12/5/13 04:15 PM, Asandir wrote: The tag formats where even changed

?

Conal
Conal
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 05:46 PM Reply

I like having more options, where ever they be; but are we going to have a Christmas theme this year?


​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Asandir
Asandir
  • Member since: Dec. 23, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 12/5/13 05:37 PM, liljim wrote:
At 12/5/13 04:15 PM, Asandir wrote: The tag formats where even changed
?

What I mean is, in the past when I made a newspost, I made for example some words bold and italic and made some links, I was able to save the raw format of the newspost in a textfile. Later I am able to copy the text from this textfile into a newspost then the words would be bold/italic links etc. Now those tags are just broken, copying those old textfles into a newspost will produce broken tags.

That doesn't bother me too much but I can't even get the (new?) raw format anymore as there is no option for that. It would be however useful for users who use lots of text options and do newspost for weeks in advance. It would be a cool option to have:

At 12/4/13 10:19 PM, ixfd64 wrote: However, I have a question: how do I switch between the rich text editor and the raw text editor? As silly as it sounds, I sometimes prefer to edit the raw markup directly.
At 12/3/13 07:31 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Not that I use blogs much, but would it be possible to add an option to use code view still? I've always preferred being able to edit the raw data - more control of what's actually going on.

Without truth, there is no justice.
Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users
Portal and Icon moderator

BBS Signature
JimmyTheCaterpillar
JimmyTheCaterpillar
  • Member since: Aug. 12, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Writer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 08:09 PM Reply

This is incredibly helpful. I just made those bullets my bitch.

Thank you, Tom, for giving me the opportunity to sexually abuse my computer.


SIG BY AMARANTHUS.| I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299 AND UNCLECUBONE
| I'm in a band 'n stuff.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.
I ENJOY CRANBERRY SAUCE. A LOT.

BBS Signature
JRob
JRob
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 5th, 2013 @ 11:17 PM Reply

I'm liking this new newspost update.

If only we could edit our current newspost...

Yes, I know you're working on it - I'm just impatient.

"Verpum do, ergo sum." -Descartes
Only the best
My interview with Asandir

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 12:11 AM Reply

At 12/5/13 03:53 PM, Mich wrote: Yeah @Luis, did you decide to just do away with those link icons altogether then?

nope i didnt do away with anything really, except the (::selection styling). The default editor has some stuff taken out by default and for the sake of not messing with the wiring i didnt turn on or off anything nor did i hide anything with css. I think once things stabilize i want to get bolder with exploring some of the features that the editor has reserved for more custom and advanced implementations


None

Maltos
Maltos
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Writer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 02:02 AM Reply

The great thing about tom is he listens to what we want


An Eye For An Eye Will Make The World Blind.......right?

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Musician
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 04:20 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 12:11 AM, Luis wrote:
At 12/5/13 03:53 PM, Mich wrote: Yeah @Luis, did you decide to just do away with those link icons altogether then?
nope i didnt do away with anything really, except the (::selection styling). The default editor has some stuff taken out by default and for the sake of not messing with the wiring i didnt turn on or off anything nor did i hide anything with css. I think once things stabilize i want to get bolder with exploring some of the features that the editor has reserved for more custom and advanced implementations

I was mostly talking about the little "external link" icons you get next to links (example). They don't seem to show up on the blogs anymore.

It'd also be nice to see if you could give the ckeditor more of an NG styling, right now it looks a bit obvious it's a plugin. Good work regardless!

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 05:43 AM Reply

At 12/5/13 11:17 PM, JRob wrote: I'm liking this new newspost update.

If only we could edit our current newspost...
Yes, I know you're working on it - I'm just impatient.

You could edit any new posts immediately, you've been able to edit _all_ news posts around 12 or so hours after this went live. You've nothing to be impatient about, you should be able to edit everything.

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 05:47 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 04:20 AM, Mich wrote: I was mostly talking about the little "external link" icons you get next to links (example).

Yeah, they've been removed. I think we put those in at a time when browsers wouldn't do the job of telling you what domain you're clicking through to when you hover... but most now do, so they seem kinda irrelevant. And they conflicted with images wrapped in links, so...

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 05:49 AM Reply

At 12/5/13 06:26 PM, Asandir wrote: What I mean is, in the past when I made a newspost, I made for example some words bold and italic and made some links, I was able to save the raw format of the newspost in a textfile. Later I am able to copy the text from this textfile into a newspost then the words would be bold/italic links etc. Now those tags are just broken, copying those old textfles into a newspost will produce broken tags.

Oh I understand that, I thought you were referring to what tags you're allowed to use - e.g. <a bc> changed to <xyz>.

JRob
JRob
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 06:46 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 05:43 AM, liljim wrote:
At 12/5/13 11:17 PM, JRob wrote: I'm liking this new newspost update.

If only we could edit our current newspost...
Yes, I know you're working on it - I'm just impatient.
You could edit any new posts immediately, you've been able to edit _all_ news posts around 12 or so hours after this went live. You've nothing to be impatient about, you should be able to edit everything.

Completely forgot the edit button wasn't a button in the upper right-hand corner, but a link at the bottom of the post.

My brain has been completely overworked over this past week...last week of the semester...almost all-nighters

I just pulled a complete one today working on an English project due by midnight tonight - I'm only like 1/3 done...

...about 7 calculus homework assignments I had to complete within 2 days...finals...don't even get me started on that technical report for my engineering class I had to get done from start to finish in a day and a half before it was due...

And I've got a final exam in exactly an hour and 15 minutes from now - after pulling an all-nighter.

I'm definitely looking foward to having a month off after all this.


"Verpum do, ergo sum." -Descartes
Only the best
My interview with Asandir

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 09:20 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 04:20 AM, Mich wrote: I was mostly talking about the little "external link" icons you get next to links (example). They don't seem to show up on the blogs anymore.

OH. Yea that i did take out. Reason being that it makes a mess of things when an image is attached that has a link. Bob's css was never designed to support that sort of implementation so the little icon was way out of place. The only way to drill down and target that specific instance was to generate a new class, which just didnt seem as worthwhile as just removing the little booger altogether. So yea it was a case of pick your battles.

It'd also be nice to see if you could give the ckeditor more of an NG styling, right now it looks a bit obvious it's a plugin. Good work regardless!

Patience my pet.


None

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 09:28 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 09:20 AM, Luis wrote:
At 12/6/13 04:20 AM, Mich wrote: I was mostly talking about the little "external link" icons you get next to links (example). They don't seem to show up on the blogs anymore.
OH. Yea that i did take out. Reason being that it makes a mess of things when an image is attached that has a link. Bob's css was never designed to support that sort of implementation so the little icon was way out of place. The only way to drill down and target that specific instance was to generate a new class, which just didnt seem as worthwhile as just removing the little booger altogether. So yea it was a case of pick your battles.

It'd also be nice to see if you could give the ckeditor more of an NG styling, right now it looks a bit obvious it's a plugin. Good work regardless!
Patience my pet.

Actually i take that back. I think that something hard and painful has been to move away from the overly styled NG styling. I have spent an ungodly amount of time doing that in the redesign (well the mobile redesign, coming soon!).

I think one of our biggest pains in moving forward in this modern world has been that the styling of the site is so custom made, it makes flexibility very difficult, and ultimately things feel 'forced' to fit. My vision in rethinking the site has been to strip away things that get in the way of user experience and let the CONTENT of the site be the flagship of the creative strategy. LONG ANSWER and i swear im not crazy but just to give you some context, right now the site has something like FIVE borders before you see a piece of content. Thats almost like 30 pixels of just borders, which is nuts and super restrictive. So much useable space slashed by border after border after border. It becomes super inefficient in a screen size of mobile where you have at times 320 pixels of real estate to utilize.


None

Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Musician
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 10:49 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 09:28 AM, Luis wrote: Actually i take that back. I think that something hard and painful has been to move away from the overly styled NG styling. I have spent an ungodly amount of time doing that in the redesign (well the mobile redesign, coming soon!).

I think one of our biggest pains in moving forward in this modern world has been that the styling of the site is so custom made, it makes flexibility very difficult, and ultimately things feel 'forced' to fit. My vision in rethinking the site has been to strip away things that get in the way of user experience and let the CONTENT of the site be the flagship of the creative strategy. LONG ANSWER and i swear im not crazy but just to give you some context, right now the site has something like FIVE borders before you see a piece of content. Thats almost like 30 pixels of just borders, which is nuts and super restrictive. So much useable space slashed by border after border after border. It becomes super inefficient in a screen size of mobile where you have at times 320 pixels of real estate to utilize.

I do much agree, NG's module treatment has been and still is pretty ridiculous. In my head I've always justified it a bit by NG being an art-driven website. It is as you say though, let the content do the talking. Remove the eye-catching candy from the interface and let the content take up all that precious space.

The most annoying bit of that is probably letting go of all the work that got it to this good-looking state. I can also tell you that many users will cling to the old design rather than embrace a content-driven design.

More benefits though would be slashing the weight of pages, as you can get rid of a shitload of images.

I'll be interested to see the longer term design direction you'll be taking :-)

Anime-NoireChan
Anime-NoireChan
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 11:05 AM Reply

Awesome, new update!


DarkAnimeKnightmare
Anime-NoireChan on IGN
PSN ID: Anime-NoireChan | Even though, getting popular, Esshh. No worries now.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 11:11 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 10:49 AM, Mich wrote: The most annoying bit of that is probably letting go of all the work that got it to this good-looking state. I can also tell you that many users will cling to the old design rather than embrace a content-driven design.

Well, i dont think its a new thing to embrace really, NG has always been driven by its content imo. People come to consume content as opposed to consume the styling of it. I think that the benefits of doing more with less is the main appeal of looking under the site's skirt and making some changes.

As for clinging to the old design, well that's going to happen regardless, change is scary and uncomfortable at first like all things in life, but ultimately its worth it because it inspires growth and an hunger to stay relevant and all that.


None

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 11:36 AM Reply

I like NG's current design, but I can understand why it is holding things back in terms of growth and adapting to a changing userbase/market.

Now if only web designers could better combat pop-culture electronics and ever-changing screen/content standards :) .

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 12:51 PM Reply

At 12/6/13 06:46 AM, JRob wrote: And I've got a final exam in exactly an hour and 15 minutes from now - after pulling an all-nighter.

Ouch, hope it went okay.

JRob
JRob
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 01:43 PM Reply

At 12/6/13 12:51 PM, liljim wrote:
At 12/6/13 06:46 AM, JRob wrote: And I've got a final exam in exactly an hour and 15 minutes from now - after pulling an all-nighter.
Ouch, hope it went okay.

Well it was calculus. And a lot easier than what I was expecting.


"Verpum do, ergo sum." -Descartes
Only the best
My interview with Asandir

BBS Signature
Ecke
Ecke
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 04:45 PM Reply

20 image maximum?

I created a 45 image post just to find that out.


/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 6th, 2013 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 12/3/13 10:03 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/3/13 10:02 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: so when is the Voting and EXP overhaul gonna happen?
That's more of a 2014 thing.

What say? What is this now?


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 7th, 2013 @ 03:25 AM Reply

At 12/6/13 10:04 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 12/3/13 10:03 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/3/13 10:02 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: so when is the Voting and EXP overhaul gonna happen?
That's more of a 2014 thing.
What say? What is this now?

they want to make it ten votes a day a EXP a vote Available in ALL PORTALS. and double EXP Weekends!

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Member since: Sep. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 7th, 2013 @ 07:26 AM Reply

I see that in my absense NG has advanced leaps and bounds since it's inception. I remember when I was a regular that there were threads worrying about Newgrounds eventually falling into obscurity, but I'm glad to see it still maintains relevance.


"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 7th, 2013 @ 12:49 PM Reply

At 12/7/13 03:25 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: they want to make it ten votes a day a EXP a vote Available in ALL PORTALS. and double EXP Weekends!

I like those last two things.
Not so much the first one though. But I can kinda see why they'd do that.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 7th, 2013 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 12/7/13 12:49 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 12/7/13 03:25 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: they want to make it ten votes a day a EXP a vote Available in ALL PORTALS. and double EXP Weekends!
I like those last two things.
Not so much the first one though. But I can kinda see why they'd do that.

yeah I don't why the suggestion of ten a day at one EXP a piece instead of a full deposit..

Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Multi-Image Posting & RTE in Blogs! Dec. 8th, 2013 @ 04:40 PM Reply

Are you going to have a system created for embedding NG videos on other websites?