00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Photoshop question 2013-11-21 03:41:07

Hello, I am a Desktop Publishing student, mostly working in Illustrator and Indesign.
I wish to know more about Photoshop, as I feel I'm missing out on something of some sort.
I've been occupying myself with little tutorials and it works out really well, but I've found this picture of a band named Korn, which I wish to recreate, which I've included in this post.
Does anyone know how this might be called, how it is done, or even show me a tutorial?

Thank you for your time.

Photoshop question

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop question 2013-11-21 15:16:48

At 11/21/13 03:41 AM, RedeFusion wrote: I've been occupying myself with little tutorials and it works out really well, but I've found this picture of a band named Korn, which I wish to recreate, which I've included in this post.
Does anyone know how this might be called, how it is done, or even show me a tutorial?

Honestly? With difficulty.

There's a lot going on in this image that you'll find it tricky to recreate it. I reckon the artist may have painted in a few areas to make a really strong silhouette of Jonathan Davis. I have my own quick and easy way of doing cut-outs, but it'll require a bit more tweaking to look like that image.

I've uploaded attached a pic to try and explain the stages.

0. Take a pic, hopefully so that the silhouette of what you're drawing is clear. The photo I grabbed off the web has Jonathan bathed in light, while his surroundings are dark. (... but you can also use the lasso tool to grab the shapes you're after).

1. I want to make his body black, so I inverted the pic (you don't have to invert the image, though). I also added a Black & White adjustment layer to remove colours.

2. To make the stencil, I added a Curves adjustment layer so that I could tweak the contrast of the image, exaggerating lighter and darker areas. On top of this I put a Posterize adjustment layer, so that there are only two colours in the image (black and white). The curves adjustment layer can be tweaked further if the result isn't too great, and merged when finished.

3. With only two colours in the image, the edges are pixelly and sharp. These can be softened up with just a slight gaussian blur (1 px is fine) so that the edges lose a bit of shape, and adjusting the levels to remove the blurring. I also painted some black and white over parts to make the silhouette more solid, such as on the darker parts of the mic stand, or just painting in the microphone itself.

There's also some spray on the edges, which I guess you could make custom brushes for. Either from online or by making a few yourself on a piece of paper. These can be merged into the silhouette .... I guess with a soft edge brush with low opacity (or if you have a tablet, have the opacity of the brush being pressure sensitive).

That's how I reckon you could attempt recreating that image, but as I said I think there's a fair bit of artistic tweaking involved that doesn't use filters or adjustment layers.

Photoshop question

BBS Signature