00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Eviscerate my Artwork

754 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Eviscerate my Artwork 2013-11-17 18:45:27

Hi all,

I just re-registered for NG after losing the login details for my old account. Haven't been on the site in years, because I certainly don't remember there being an art section- though I didn't have anything to submit back in the day.

I'm primarily a writer and filmmaker (NG submissions forthcoming), but enjoy dabbling in other artforms, such as illustration. There's no reason whatsoever for anyone to look at my work, but I would appreciate well written critiques from well informed individuals. If my work is good, well that's fine- but I know it's not perfect, and I would love for it to be eviscerated- how else can improvement come?

Please check out my profile, I haven't been scouted yet, so it's not viewable in the main art section yet.

I've attached a sample for consideration in this post.

Thanks for your time and have a great day!

-Thorne

Eviscerate my Artwork

Response to Eviscerate my Artwork 2013-11-19 05:12:29

At 11/17/13 06:45 PM, ThornesAttic wrote:

:I know it's not perfect, and I would love for it to be eviscerated- how else can improvement come?

This is extremely ambitious.
Explore somewhere else and return to this at a later time.

or

Instead of having the visual being detailed and complicated as the idea, simplify it.
Break down what you have into more symbolic shapes, and colors.

Response to Eviscerate my Artwork 2013-11-20 11:35:59

I'm not quite sure that I follow.

Were you able to discern the subtext of the image?

How did your eye move across the work?

Why should I abandon the project and come back at a later time? What specifically about the work is lacking, and what can be done to rectify it?

At 11/19/13 05:12 AM, Cairos wrote:
At 11/17/13 06:45 PM, ThornesAttic wrote: I know it's not perfect, and I would love for it to be eviscerated- how else can improvement come?
This is extremely ambitious.
Explore somewhere else and return to this at a later time.

or

Instead of having the visual being detailed and complicated as the idea, simplify it.
Break down what you have into more symbolic shapes, and colors.

Response to Eviscerate my Artwork 2013-11-20 17:03:47

Cairos is saying this image is far too complex for your current skills, practice the basics and fundamentals of painting alot more before you try something this difficult.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Eviscerate my Artwork 2013-11-21 03:27:00

At 11/20/13 11:35 AM, ThornesAttic wrote: Why should I abandon the project and come back at a later time? What specifically about the work is lacking, and what can be done to rectify it?

I apologise. On review of what I said it was in poor form and not helpful at all.

A square canvas does not seem to be working for this. It's as if filling up the space is forced. All items are separating and losing connection with each other. Bring everything closer.

Consider a more vibrant color palette. It's very muddy.

Eviscerate my Artwork

Response to Eviscerate my Artwork 2013-11-21 10:16:33

I like it!!!

Response to Eviscerate my Artwork 2013-11-21 13:03:49

a lot going on in this picture and no real flow between them this creates an awkwardness when I look at the image where my eye roves around.

Look at working out a composition which works for the image use the rule of thirds to decide focal points and then lead the eye with negative shapes around the picture

example the image below although a photograph has a nice composition as the tree and the land lead you round the image.

Eviscerate my Artwork