00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ChiliChapters just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

123mine123's Learning Area

94,098 Views | 745 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-17 07:38:31

At 8/17/14 05:38 AM, BazookaBonsai wrote: Well, you got a setting. Thats means you have at least some idea.
You also have a vague idea of who the main characters should be.
Maybe you want to start writing the characters now and go deeper into world building. Create some conceptual works for the environments and characters for visual reference, so that you can draw them consistently.

I think I have an idea of a map now. xD
As for characters, I use their head's shapes to try and define them from each other. And I usually keep the rough sketch of the proportions to, so maybe that could work.

Think about the history of the world, its society, its inhabitants (intelligent and not), character relations etc.
A good story needs an interesting world and well written, memorable characters, but does not need to be very complex in itself. Many good stories are actually very simplistic, but great characters and worldbuilding, aswell as a working and consistent narrative, give the story depth.

My friend Daker has other ideas... While he doesn't completely agree with mine. xD

You may also want to sit down and make some style studies, perhaps even create a moodboard. It really hepls pinpointing down how you want to draw the comic by answering questions like:
What colors do I want to use? Do I even want to use colors? How will I stylize my characters? How will I illustrate backgrounds and characters together? What will be my panel distribution? Which font for speech bubbles? How will I
include sound words in the panels, if at all? What is the tone of my comic suppose to be like?

These are really nice advice.. Thanks Bazooka!
Though these might be too technical for a simple webcomic idea, but as we discuss more and more, the more complicated it gets. >.>

I know this sounds like alot (it is) but it can be a very fun and fulfilling work if you embrace it optimistically.
Good luck with your project and have fun :)

IM NOT GIVING UP! >:D

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-20 05:16:02

I'm officially done with highschool.
Now to choose a course..
Drawing, which is something I like to do as a hobby.
Or, programming, which I always dreamed of doing.
Well, either way, until the next school year comes, I'm free to do anything I want, or I might just find some small part time work and earn me some monee.

Either way, I'm having way too much fun drawing for the battle royal in the mean time.
I won't draw and contribute here that much in a while.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-08-21 10:57:37

Whee... .-.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-06 14:30:23

Back to drawing. Annnd, more i dont know what im doing.
I'm participating in a drawing contest in this game I'm playing called transformice. xD

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-08 00:03:32

At 9/6/14 02:30 PM, 123mine123 wrote: I'm participating in a drawing contest in this game I'm playing called transformice. xD

So, when's the mecha forms for the mice coming?
You know what you doing! Draw for great justice!

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-08 00:24:04

At 9/8/14 12:03 AM, YomToxic wrote: So, when's the mecha forms for the mice coming?
You know what you doing! Draw for great justice!

I was like, what are you talking about?
But then I remembered how most people who don't know the game will almost always say if it has something to do with Transformers.
You confused me for a good 20 seconds man figuring out what you meant. xD
Also, no it doesn't have anything to do with... Transformers or mecha robots..

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-12 11:03:47

I think I'll stick to this one. >.>

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-15 06:16:22

Yesterday, we didn't have internet till morning till night. So I spent my day doodling stuff. xD

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-15 07:13:42

I'm tired.. :c

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-16 12:48:20

Well, decided to scrap the 4 mice idea to 3 mice.
Realize body poses looks bad... ugh...
Oh well, still, so far so good.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-16 18:16:25

At 9/16/14 12:48 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Well, decided to scrap the 4 mice idea to 3 mice.
Realize body poses looks bad... ugh...

Don't worry, it's only uphill we go upwards!

A thing I noticed is that there is some asymmetry in the face of the guy in the middle. Drawing correctly with minimal guidelines is difficult, it can be a life saver to spend that extra time to get the guides correctly before painting. Remember that perspective still applies to organic shapes, if you draw a line between symmetrical parts, the lines should converge to the same vanishing point.

Another thing is I notice you put up a value scale on the side without actually using all the values. It's very useful to create some initial value composition thumbnails. It almost guarantees you use the full value range, and it gives an early look into what the finished result might look like.

I'd also recommend working in such a way that the entire composition gets progressively more refined, rather than one element at a time. It makes for a more consistent workflow and allows other people (clients, peers) to see what you're up to at any given stage of the painting.

Hope you don't mind the redlining!

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-17 03:31:38

At 9/16/14 06:16 PM, Havegum wrote: A thing I noticed is that there is some asymmetry in the face of the guy in the middle. Drawing correctly with minimal guidelines is difficult, it can be a life saver to spend that extra time to get the guides correctly before painting. Remember that perspective still applies to organic shapes, if you draw a line between symmetrical parts, the lines should converge to the same vanishing point.

Another thing is I notice you put up a value scale on the side without actually using all the values. It's very useful to create some initial value composition thumbnails. It almost guarantees you use the full value range, and it gives an early look into what the finished result might look like.

I'd also recommend working in such a way that the entire composition gets progressively more refined, rather than one element at a time. It makes for a more consistent workflow and allows other people (clients, peers) to see what you're up to at any given stage of the painting.

Hope you don't mind the redlining!

Oh man, thanks for the useful tips...
Ugh, it's just so hard like, you know all this stuff you learned in the tutorials you watched and simplifying everything from basic shaped to make it easier.
And maybe a basic idea on perspective and foreshortening.
But once I start drawing something, I still make those same damn mistakes. Ugh.
I guess this is what you call drawing and learning from your mistakes.

As for the value scale thing, I forgot all about that.
I saw a tutorial (I think in ctrl paint) where you just focus on the colors and values of the scene and see how its color complements each other. For the composition.
Right now, Im trying doing the black and white thing and just color it via ctrl+u and colorize so that's why this process is also weird.
I'm trying so many stuff.

Thanks Havegum! I'll keep all these stuff in mind!

I'll give you some, but I dont HAVE any GUM to give you. c: huheuehuehue

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-17 09:55:04

Well, "done" with this. Really not feeling making this so I really felt lazy not adding the other details.
Oh well. I'll do better next time.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-19 03:41:05

My part for the bee contest. So far so good. Imma take a break with playing some Sims 4. xD
yey salad fingers.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-20 07:43:41

Done did it. :3

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-22 03:22:15

Redone this... Ugh I suck so bad..

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-22 07:17:11

At 9/22/14 03:22 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Redone this... Ugh I suck so bad..

Well you're definitely on the right track!
The values are much better, though I think adding some close to 100% dark areas where it's suitable would make the composition pop more!

I think the perspective and colours are the areas with potential for improvement.

Remember that perspective applies even to organic objects. The horizon is very important, as anything parallel to the ground will converge towards it. I recommend to always draw out the horizon line, and be conscious of the relation to it when you're drawing. Being more aware of perspective also makes it easier to map out the light and shadows.

The large patch of vivid green grass seems very bright and saturated, and the main focus sort of drowns away in all the saturation. If you are economic with your saturation you can guide your viewers eyes around the composition much better, which makes the image pop more. I suggest studying how colours works in landscapes and trying to duplicate that yourself. Playing around with simple geometrical colour compositions might also be fun, whatever you like.

|

At this point I think you've worked hard enough on the image, so it might be a good idea to take a break and do some studies instead. Come back to it with fresh eyes and a new perspective!
Keep up the effort!

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-22 07:37:48

At 9/22/14 07:17 AM, Havegum wrote: Well you're definitely on the right track!
The values are much better, though I think adding some close to 100% dark areas where it's suitable would make the composition pop more!

Whoa! You're right.

I think the perspective and colours are the areas with potential for improvement.
Remember that perspective applies even to organic objects. The horizon is very important, as anything parallel to the ground will converge towards it. I recommend to always draw out the horizon line, and be conscious of the relation to it when you're drawing. Being more aware of perspective also makes it easier to map out the light and shadows.

I suck so much at perspective... :c

The large patch of vivid green grass seems very bright and saturated, and the main focus sort of drowns away in all the saturation. If you are economic with your saturation you can guide your viewers eyes around the composition much better, which makes the image pop more. I suggest studying how colours works in landscapes and trying to duplicate that yourself. Playing around with simple geometrical colour compositions might also be fun, whatever you like.

I kinda tried doing that. And failed miserably. T^T
Color theory is sooo hard..

At this point I think you've worked hard enough on the image, so it might be a good idea to take a break and do some studies instead. Come back to it with fresh eyes and a new perspective!
Keep up the effort!

Thanks for your time again on helping me out Havegum, it also really helps me that at least someone is out there that believes I have the potential to improve. :D
This contest is a 3 parter with different themes so I'm gonna 2 more stuff similar to these..
I'm gonna try and do better. c:

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-25 01:34:40

Gummy's giving me a few exercises to do.
Soo, I'm gonna put my progress here too.

Back to gesture drawring yey.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-25 01:37:39

Perspective practice

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-25 01:40:08

Just finished this today.
Rewatched Proko's gesture drawing and I think I did better this time.

I'm also getting the hang of drawing with my shoulders... on a 5.8" drawing tablet.. lel

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-25 08:11:03

Perspective practice with reference.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-25 11:13:39

And perspective with imagination... I dont have a very good imagination.. .-.

Nice to see some dedicated practice! I know doing really fundamental stuff can seem mundane but it will impact your creative pieces! For the gestures I suggest drawing the relative position and proportion of the pelvis, chest, and head. These areas are defined by bone and won't stretch, bulge and bend as much as other parts. Think of these parts as boxes in perspective!

For the perspective exercises, strive to draw single, continuous, straight lines in one stroke. If the angle is a bit weird you can rotate your tablet or canvas. Always have the line hit the vanishing point on the horizon line!

Good work, keep at it!

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-26 00:13:33

At 9/25/14 05:30 PM, Havegum wrote: For the gestures I suggest drawing the relative position and proportion of the pelvis, chest, and head. These areas are defined by bone and won't stretch, bulge and bend as much as other parts. Think of these parts as boxes in perspective!

I tried and I failed. ;-;
I think I got even worse than my last. D:

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-26 02:20:29

At 9/26/14 12:13 AM, 123mine123 wrote: I tried and I failed. ;-;
I think I got even worse than my last. D:

The most important thing is that you keep doing them. I know it can feel like a struggle sometimes. However, in retrospect I find I tend to be most happy with the poses I drew after reaching the point where I thought it was hopeless and thought "why bother?".

I think my explanation was confusing earlier, so here's the raw information I took it from - namely George Bridgmans "Constructive Anatomy". You don't always have to draw the blocks out, but I find it simplifies the form of the torso and head while being true to the actual form.

Keep at it!

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-26 02:41:57

At 9/26/14 02:20 AM, Havegum wrote: I think my explanation was confusing earlier, so here's the raw information I took it from - namely George Bridgmans "Constructive Anatomy".

K, will do.

And moar referenced perspective.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-26 03:47:03

I have the worst imagination taht I just draw random lobbies.. and hallways. D:

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-26 08:47:12

Something that will never be finished.. and should never be ever mentioned ever again.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2014-09-26 13:58:39

At 9/26/14 08:47 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Something that will never be finished.. and should never be ever mentioned ever again.

why not finish it now?....try not to make incomplete projects a habit...you'll regret it later!!...just be happy with whatever progress you have made.

Jesus Saves!!