00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

123mine123's Learning Area

93,828 Views | 745 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-09 22:55:47

Hey guys.
I already made an art thread almost a year ago and it wasn't really all that helpful since a lot of them wants me to make original art.
But after asking a few questions at Deviant, the best way I could go and improve if I would still do fan arts, but instead keep in mind how the body construction works.
Since I'm copying Lackadaisy right now, I'm also learning a lot of it's stuff since the comic is very detailed.

But I still need help and a lot of questions, so I'll leave my stuff here.
And if you could, please leave answers and ctitiques...I need all the help I could get.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 00:39:59

At 11/9/13 10:55 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Hey guys.

hi

I already made an art thread almost a year ago and it wasn't really all that helpful since a lot of them wants me to make original art.
But after asking a few questions at Deviant, the best way I could go and improve if I would still do fan arts, but instead keep in mind how the body construction works.
Since I'm copying Lackadaisy right now, I'm also learning a lot of it's stuff since the comic is very detailed.

But I still need help and a lot of questions, so I'll leave my stuff here.
And if you could, please leave answers and ctitiques...I need all the help I could get.

It's really difficult to critique fanart, mainly because you aren't using your own creativity or talent. Mindlessly copying another person's art isn't going to get you anywhere, and I would practice drawing your own things and drawing from life before you move on to something like that. You can't build a house without a foundation.

That isn't to say fanart isn't original- most good fanart is extremely original and creative, but only because the people creating it have learned to be creative and original.

Like I said earlier it's hard to critique what you posted, as you're just copying someone's lines.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 05:14:07

At 11/10/13 12:39 AM, DemocracyFTW wrote: It's really difficult to critique fanart, mainly because you aren't using your own creativity or talent. Mindlessly copying another person's art isn't going to get you anywhere, and I would practice drawing your own things and drawing from life before you move on to something like that. You can't build a house without a foundation.

That isn't to say fanart isn't original- most good fanart is extremely original and creative, but only because the people creating it have learned to be creative and original.

Like I said earlier it's hard to critique what you posted, as you're just copying someone's lines.

I know. But like I said, just using this probably as my foundation to what ever my style would become.
I just referenced this very loosely, so I'm kinda finding someone pointing out how one leg is shorter that the other or the hand looks weird.
Im just using this as a practice on she does cloth and grey scale painting.
And cartoons don't usually mind how many heads tall the character is...so I dont know.
She does a cartoony 4 heads tall ones. Just trying how that works.
And, yeah, I'm gonna do some life art after a few of these.
Just want to start painting first and once I'm out of the computer, I'll start doing those.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 06:39:27

Ok, I tried coloring in grey scale...
I don't know what to do next...
I'm so confused and lost...
Help?

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 06:52:44

At 11/10/13 06:39 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Ok, I tried coloring in grey scale...
I don't know what to do next...
I'm so confused and lost...
Help?

That's actually pretty decent friend. I guess the next step would be to add some shading and highlights. You know, to make it more alive.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 07:21:29

At 11/10/13 06:52 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: That's actually pretty decent friend. I guess the next step would be to add some shading and highlights. You know, to make it more alive.

That's what I thought but I kinda don't know where and how...
So if the light source is in front of the character...

*pounds head*

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 07:51:09

At 11/10/13 07:21 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
That's what I thought but I kinda don't know where and how...

A lot of people don't know and they do it anyway. If you want to do it right though, find an object and shine a light on it. Reference is always key to drawing things that you don't know.

If you don't have a light like a lamp or a flashlight then handheld electronics with backlights (which everything since the game boy advance SP has had, as far as games go) work in a pinch.

*pounds head*

*links to Loomis*

This guy Loomis is sort of the standard (as far as I hear) for learning how to draw professionally, he was an art teacher and he knew how to teach art. Fun stuff. Also art teachers today still use his methods, not that I know or anything and I'm totally not enrolled in a college being taught art things.

I haven't gone through all his books even though I should, but that link provides a download to most of his books in .pdf form, including one astoundingly shitty .pdf but we'll not talk about that one because that's the documenter's fault not Loomis's, plus it can't be Loomis's fault because he's been dead for about fifty years.

Reading books is definitely no replacement for practice and experimentation, because as much as you know about any technique, you can't just apply it to something, unless you're a fricking genius or a savant.

So draw more.

TLDR: Draw more.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 08:32:59

At 11/10/13 07:51 AM, Felis wrote: A lot of people don't know and they do it anyway. If you want to do it right though, find an object and shine a light on it. Reference is always key to drawing things that you don't know.

Am I doing it right? ._.

*links to Loomis*

Yeah I already know about this.
It's way too much reading but I will did scan through it and saw how this could be a good reference.
Also, I saw a lot of summarized tutorials and vids, but I probably would still need it.
Thanks again!

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-10 08:47:43

Forgot the pic. >.>

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-11 09:41:17

Hey guys again.
So after many advice from both of you guys and some people on Deviant, I've finally did some research and took notes with a little more real life relating structures.
I've been watching Proko's tutorials, which is summarized yet detailed teachings of Loomis.
And also eyes, nose, mouth structures and even poses.
I'm up to the eyes now and now taking a break...
My notebook is filled with these right now.
I hope all of these I'm practicing and doing help me improve.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-12 03:59:18

I really feel frustrated right now.
I dont know if what Im doing is right and have no idea what to even practice.
Im not sure if what Im doing will actually help me improve.
I drew this becuz maybe it mihy actually look what I wanted and finish it in photoshop.
Its as simple as someone callong for a taxi and I cant even do it...
Im so lost.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-12 04:08:23

Pic didnt upload for some odd reason.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-15 17:01:51

At 11/10/13 08:47 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Forgot the pic. >.>

I really like the choice of color for this piece, it makes everything so dramatic.

| Steam | Sig is by Homicide <3 |

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-25 11:46:39

Hey guys, if there's even anyone looking here.
So, I'm still practicing. Just at least one sketch a day.
But I'm still failing terribly.
I am spotting stuff wrong with my drawings though.
Like this, the feet should be on level ground and the torso should be more on the right.
And his head should be tilted down. IDK.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-25 11:48:27

And on another note, what do you guys think of this style.
After many tutorials in the internet, I just decided to draw what I wanted and this 3 drawings came out.
And I'm totally satisfies with it.
Should I continue improving on this style?

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-25 11:49:39

At 11/25/13 11:48 AM, 123mine123 wrote: And on another note, what do you guys think of this style.
After many tutorials in the internet, I just decided to draw what I wanted and this 3 drawings came out.
And I'm totally satisfies with it.
Should I continue improving on this style?

Once again, pic didn't upload for some reason. -.-

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-25 11:55:20

Learn the fundamentals of art:
perspective
anatomy
light
and lastly colour
do not start by drawing cartoons as these are just stylized versions of real life

I don't think copying is a bad thing up until very recently all "great artists" learnt by copying the old masters ( Da Vinci and such)

You need to go back to basics scrap the cartoons as your limiting yourself to that style then.
Learn the fundamentals and then create your own style.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-27 05:40:13

At 11/25/13 11:55 AM, Tapersteve wrote: Learn the fundamentals of art:
perspective
anatomy
light
and lastly colour
do not start by drawing cartoons as these are just stylized versions of real life

I don't think copying is a bad thing up until very recently all "great artists" learnt by copying the old masters ( Da Vinci and such)

You need to go back to basics scrap the cartoons as your limiting yourself to that style then.
Learn the fundamentals and then create your own style.

I am learning all those stuff. But I chose not to indulge on that a lot.
I want to improve cartooning because of animation and probably just good looking doodles here and there.
And I planning on taking programming and make my own games.
I don't plan to be a professional artist, but just a decent one enough to show what I'm trying to tell in my drawings.
Simple and exaggerated.
So basic perspective, 4 heads tall anatomies, simple lighting, and probably cell shading

And btw, I having different oppinions on this. People say to do life art, some say just do what you want.
I mean, make up your minds people.. I'm so confused.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-28 07:45:03

I've been experimenting and trying drawing this everyday.
I've been trying different eyes, noses, facial positions, and all that kind of stuff.
I can't seem to find something I'm satisfied with. :C

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-29 07:53:52

I'm kinda getting the hand of this now. :D

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-11-30 07:56:14

Added some features.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-02 02:40:56

Ugh, I think I could draw animal people better than humans.
And I think I'm accidentally slowly adapting Tracy Butler's style. D:

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-15 10:52:19

I just wanted to leave and share this.
Recently, I've been being frustrated at how I'm not improving at all.
But I came across one of my favorite artist's newspage on Deviant.
It said that I should go look at my old works and compare it to what I'm doing now.
And I really did improve hugely..
But it's sad though...
All those sketches/doodles are all in my deleted art.
The notebooks/sketchbooks I had was either gone when I accidentally left my bag on a taxi and the others when a tragic flood happened years ago and destroyed almost all of our stuff.

Right now, I'm trying to do something inspired by DC/Vertigo comic styled stuff.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-15 13:51:43

I think the moral of the story is to keep drawing. Something or another about having 10,000 bad drawings to get out before you're awesome.
Your fan art appears to stay on model so that's a good sign. I'm seeing shapes under most of the forms, which is good too. Definitely play with shading and lighting while keeping the source of illumination in each piece constant. That's a big killer.

At 12/15/13 10:52 AM, 123mine123 wrote: I just wanted to leave and share this.
Recently, I've been being frustrated at how I'm not improving at all.
But I came across one of my favorite artist's newspage on Deviant.
It said that I should go look at my old works and compare it to what I'm doing now.
And I really did improve hugely..
But it's sad though...
All those sketches/doodles are all in my deleted art.
The notebooks/sketchbooks I had was either gone when I accidentally left my bag on a taxi and the others when a tragic flood happened years ago and destroyed almost all of our stuff.

Right now, I'm trying to do something inspired by DC/Vertigo comic styled stuff.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-18 10:21:32

At 12/15/13 01:51 PM, maficmelody wrote: I think the moral of the story is to keep drawing. Something or another about having 10,000 bad drawings to get out before you're awesome.
Your fan art appears to stay on model so that's a good sign. I'm seeing shapes under most of the forms, which is good too. Definitely play with shading and lighting while keeping the source of illumination in each piece constant. That's a big killer.

Let me just say that the goal I'm going for is similar to your art.
AND YOUR ART IS AMAZING! O^O

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-20 11:08:44

I can't believe I didnt upload this here before.
Anyway, more fan art.
Before, I'm just drawing stuff from most of the cartoons I watch or comics I read that has a simplistic drawing to them.
So the past fan arts I made took me less than an hour to draw (for the line art.)

But THIS, for some reason, took me more than 3 hours to draw.
I keep finding faults on my anatomy and want to perfect the cloth, hands and arm proportions.
This art style is harder to imitate.

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-20 17:42:23

At 12/20/13 11:08 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Anyway, more fan art.

I'd say you get this into Photoshop or Illustrator and get it traced and coloured. Then you could have a nice bit of fan art, just don't rush and take you time with the shading and getting the depth right.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-20 20:16:03

Looks like progress! I suggest going lighter with the pencil while drawing out the shapes that build the character and props. Bonus points for visually implementing gravity into your drawings.

At 12/20/13 11:08 AM, 123mine123 wrote: I can't believe I didnt upload this here before.
Anyway, more fan art.
Before, I'm just drawing stuff from most of the cartoons I watch or comics I read that has a simplistic drawing to them.
So the past fan arts I made took me less than an hour to draw (for the line art.)

But THIS, for some reason, took me more than 3 hours to draw.
I keep finding faults on my anatomy and want to perfect the cloth, hands and arm proportions.
This art style is harder to imitate.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-21 06:21:44

At 12/20/13 08:16 PM, maficmelody wrote: Looks like progress! I suggest going lighter with the pencil while drawing out the shapes that build the character and props. Bonus points for visually implementing gravity into your drawings.

I sketch with an 6H and a HB pencil. And darken it with a 4B and 6B pencil.
I don't know... I just like thick outlines. I should probably stop then huh..
Also, my pancakes to drop like that because it thick and firm (that's also the way I like to cook them :3). I guess its more visually appealing with thinner and flexible delicious pancakes. xD

At 12/20/13 05:42 PM, Decky wrote: I'd say you get this into Photoshop or Illustrator and get it traced and coloured. Then you could have a nice bit of fan art, just don't rush and take you time with the shading and getting the depth right.

I'm right ahead of you. Done this a week ago.
I don't want to color it yet and want to focus on more basics stuff since I still havent gotten those down. :c

Response to 123mine123's Learning Area 2013-12-26 11:05:49

Hai guis. So I just started sketching some stuff I found in the internet.
Well I found this cute kitten and thought about drawing it.

So I just draw away and used it as a reference.
BTW, I traced it after I draw to see what it feels like drawing it directly and see what are the difference I between the referenced one. Is doing this a bad idea ?