00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AllHailInsomnia just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Russia's New Anti-terror Bill

679 Views | 11 Replies

Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-07 14:18:43

----------------

Putin Signs Law Punishing Terrorists' Relatives
04 November 2013 | Issue 5247

President Vladimir Putin signed an anti-terror bill into law on Sunday requiring the relatives of terrorists to pay for the damages caused by their attacks in an unprecedented move that is to quell fears of terrorist acts compromising the safety of the upcoming Winter Olympics.

Under the law, material and moral damages inflicted as a result of a terrorist attack will be compensated "by the perpetrator and his or her family members, relatives, in-laws and other people, whose lives, health and well-being are significant to him or her because of established personal relations," a statement on the government's legal information website said.

The new law stipulates closer scrutiny of the property of relatives and loved ones of people who have "committed a terrorist act," with the goal of verifying whether such money or goods were acquired legally.

The law was submitted by President Putin in September and was approved by the State Duma in late October.

The law also includes measures to criminalize the training of terrorists.

People found guilty of training with the aim of carrying out terrorist activities will now face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and fines of up to 500,000 rubles ($15,700). Anybody found guilty of creating terrorist networks could be sentenced to 20 years behind bars and fines of up to one million rubles.

The new legislation increases penalties for setting up, leading or financing armed groups to up to 10 years. Participation in such groups, including those based abroad, is punishable with up to six years in jail.

The unprecedented law appears to be a response to fears that the spreading insurgency in the North Caucasus could pose a threat to the 2014 Winter Oympics as well as concerns that Russians fighting alongside rebels in Syria could cause problems upon their return to Russia

Source: The Moscow Times

----------------

I've always been of the opinion that the main reason laws and rules are not followed is because the penalty for breaking those rules does not outweigh the benefit of breaking the law. Why not rob that bank if you know the worst thing that can happen to you is 3 square meals a day, a place to sleep, a state funded education, and a chance to see all your friends? Big deal.

Well this one really tickles the sadist authoritarian in me, because one of the incentives to being a suicide bomber is the promise that your family will get paid if you kill yourself, and it effectively removes that incentive. Completely. And this is Russia we're talking about; they're GOING to find out who these people are, and drive their relatives into the poor house. That leaves only selfish reasons like fame and glory as a reason to self-detonate, because you clearly won't be leaving your loved ones better off financially.

And this has me wondering... why couldn't we do something like this HERE? Can you imagine how many people would have sat up and took notice if, after the Boston Marathon Bombings, all of the two bomber's immediate family members were fined out the ass for what happened? Imagine the financial ruin we could have wrought upon Abortion Clinic bombers, Timothy McVeigh, the 9/11 Hijackers.... it's so simple that in it's sheer deviousness that it makes me giggle! You blow up our buildings, we make "The American Dream" go up in smoke for your family. Your grandchildren will be born knowing how to say "do you want fries with that?" MWA HA HA HA!!!

*cough*

Thoughts?

BBS Signature

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-07 16:31:41

At 11/7/13 03:05 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 11/7/13 02:18 PM, Proteas wrote:
Thoughts?
Looks like a stepping stone to me. Get this passed, get the punishment made legal through the court challenge(s), then begin apply it to other areas.

first it's terrorism, then murder, and before you know it, people can be punished for anything a relative did. "I'm sorry Mr. Boris but your uncle killed a man while driving drunk so we're going to confiscate your home and car along with the contents of both, then put your family on the streets. knowing how corrupt Russia is, the family of the man that was hit won't see a penny of it.

That's a slippery slope, if I've ever heard one.

Not sure if I can agree with any law that punishes people that weren't involved in the crime. I understand the reasoning behind the opinion of the OP, but honestly, how could relatives or family prevent such a crime from occuring? It essentially punishes others for crimes they didn't commit - if the offending party doesn't care for their family/relatives then this just arbitrarily ruins their lives for nothing that they've done.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-07 16:46:07

At 11/7/13 03:59 PM, 24901miles wrote: I can only support this if families are given the ability to disown the "terrorist relative" in a way that alerts the proper authorities to the radicalization of the individual. It seems unnecessarily punitive to extract damages from a family member who opposed the terrorist act or tried to put a stop to the radicalization.

This is my biggest worry. Like when it comes to that LAX shooter. His family did everything they could to get help for him and he went off and shot up an airport anyway. These people in no way would deserve punishment. The family of the Tsarnaev brothers is where this law should apply.

On another point, even though this law seems to have benefits on paper, I am still reluctant to punish someone who has not actually done anything wrong. Merely familial association or friendship is not and should not be a crime.

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-07 16:49:19

I think "terrorism" law is made as an excuse so it could be expanded to other targets.

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-07 16:57:23

The utilitarian in me digs the shit outta this, but I'm a little too idealistic all in all I think. I mean, we can't help the parents we're born to, you and I could just have easily been the grand children of lunatics. To purposefully punish someone for a crime they didn't commit shouldn't be how we do things imho

BBS Signature

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-07 23:20:43

At 11/7/13 03:59 PM, 24901miles wrote: I can only support this if families are given the ability to disown the "terrorist relative" in a way that alerts the proper authorities to the radicalization of the individual. It seems unnecessarily punitive to extract damages from a family member who opposed the terrorist act or tried to put a stop to the radicalization.

Parents should be held accountable for raising a shit apple as well as close family and brethren.

BBS Signature

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-07 23:25:32

Go Putin. Communism FTW and I really do mean that not trollin.

BBS Signature

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-08 02:11:36

At 11/7/13 02:18 PM, Proteas wrote: President Vladimir Putin signed an anti-terror bill into law on Sunday requiring the relatives of terrorists to pay for the damages caused by their attacks in an unprecedented move that is to quell fears of terrorist acts compromising the safety of the upcoming Winter Olympics.

Replace "terrorists" with "Chechens" and this makes a whole lot more sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-19 21:06:30

It's not the SAME situation, but a similar situation happens in N.Korea, if I recall correctly.

In their prisons/concentration camps. If one of your relatives escapes or does something wrong, they'll also punish the relatives in that camp as well.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I see what they're trying to do.
However, seems unfair for the family members.

A safe way to live would be to disown everybody, maybe.

Skynet is upon us.

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-11-23 10:31:12

At 11/7/13 03:05 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 11/7/13 02:18 PM, Proteas wrote:
Thoughts?
Looks like a stepping stone to me. Get this passed, get the punishment made legal through the court challenge(s), then begin apply it to other areas.

first it's terrorism, then murder, and before you know it, people can be punished for anything a relative did. "I'm sorry Mr. Boris but your uncle killed a man while driving drunk so we're going to confiscate your home and car along with the contents of both, then put your family on the streets. knowing how corrupt Russia is, the family of the man that was hit won't see a penny of it.

This was the first thing I thought as well. I'm glad this wasn't a topic full of people going "Good idea!" that aren't seeing the writing on the wall.

Its like Russia is tripping over itself to get back to the old Soviet days.

Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating.

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-12-03 08:13:48

At 11/7/13 09:03 PM, GameChild214 wrote: Although it's unfair to the relatives of the terrorists, at least the terrorist will know who has the pay the consequences of his or her actions. Although, I doubt the terrorist would even care.

Terrorist's are people as well. Do you not think Bush Jr cares about his family. The Bush Family are every bit as much a terrorist family as is any other terrorist crime ring.

BBS Signature

Response to Russia's New Anti-terror Bill 2013-12-03 15:23:55

I support such a law being passed in Russia, but not in the United States. The current government, and by my estimation, future governments, of the US are almost completely disinterested in persecuting terrorists' as they are understood in the minds of common american citizens. Russia's contact with Islamic militancy is more 'real', and I can only imagine the orgy of aquisition that would ensue if the government of this country could declare someone a terrorist, have them physically liquidated, and then have their family financially liquidated.

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.