gamerveda
gamerveda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 5th, 2013 @ 08:36 AM Reply

Hi everyone,

The Orange County Gaming Group (OCGG) recently completed a Kickstarter campaign for the creation of fantasy audio to be used with table top RPG games (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105982873/realmsound-project-20/).

Currently, they are searching for new, quality composers to work with to complete a lot of audio work. And that's why I'm contacting you guys :)

Below are some of the details for the Gigs requiring auditions that are ending within 3 days of this post (Ending Nov 7th 11:59pm -5 GMT). Not much time I know...

1. Fantasy Gaming Musical Score - Orc War March
Description: Music for a band of Orcs on the war march.
Prize: $500 (minus Audio Catch Fees)
URL: http://www.audiocatch.com/gig/view/151

2. Fantasy Gaming Forest Soundscape
Description: An environmental soundscape featuring a forest environment in the night and daytime.
Prize: $150 (minus Audio Catch Fees)
URL: http://www.audiocatch.com/gig/view/154

3. Fantasy Gaming Monsterscape - Red Dragon
Description: A monster soundscape featuring a Red Dragon. The creature is the terrifying, ancient, and awe-inspiring dragon; the single most

iconic symbol of fantasy gaming, myth, and legend, the world over.
URL: http://www.audiocatch.com/gig/view/153

4. Fantasy Gaming SFX - Weapons hitting Plate
Description: Sound effects of different types of melee weapons striking a specific kind of armor.
URL: http://www.audiocatch.com/gig/view/155

Simply Register at www.audiocatch.com and participate with a custom audition.

Thanks everyone,
Kyn
Co-Founder
Audio Catch LLC

stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 5th, 2013 @ 12:41 PM Reply

At 11/5/13 08:36 AM, gamerveda wrote: Hi everyone,

The Orange County Gaming Group (OCGG) recently completed a Kickstarter campaign for the creation of fantasy audio to be used with table top RPG games (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105982873/realmsound-project-20/).

Thanks everyone,
Kyn
Co-Founder
Audio Catch LLC

This website is pretty cool. What does it mean by non-exclusive rights and buyout though? What does each one mean specifically?

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 5th, 2013 @ 01:56 PM Reply

The website is awful, in my opinion the whole idea behind it sucks, but that's a debate for another day.

Non-exclusive means they buy the right to use it but it doesn't prevent you from using it yourself or selling it again later.
Buy-out means they own your song. They buy the copyright from you and you are no longer in control of it. You must still be credited for the work.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 5th, 2013 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 11/5/13 01:56 PM, MetalRenard wrote: The website is awful, in my opinion the whole idea behind it sucks, but that's a debate for another day.

Non-exclusive means they buy the right to use it but it doesn't prevent you from using it yourself or selling it again later.
Buy-out means they own your song. They buy the copyright from you and you are no longer in control of it. You must still be credited for the work.

Okay, that's what I was confused about. I figured one of them had to be something where I could keep the rights to my music, and give out exclusive rights, and maybe they just miswrote it. But I guess I was wrong >.<

To be honest, there really needs to be a better system for a website like this, only giving the option to give non-exclusive or buy-out is a little ridiculous.

Check out my pages!

mhb
mhb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 5th, 2013 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 11/5/13 08:36 AM, gamerveda wrote: minus Audio Catch Fees

i'm not payin' for some shit-ass website to use my music.

nobody else should either.

my youtube.
click it.

BBS Signature
gamerveda
gamerveda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 6th, 2013 @ 02:16 AM Reply

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry to have created any confusion and would love to clear up your concerns. Actually, Audio Catch was created based on a ton of NG community feedback and support back in 2010 so we're definitely here to work with everyone here and find cool opportunities for composers.

Audio Catch is an audio (music, sound effects, and voice overs) based crowdsourced platform like odesk or elance, but it was built with the premise that all work must be paid for upfront. And that's how all of our projects are. Clients have already paid us before we post a project on the site. Once clients have paid, projects go live in the search for quality composers and voice talent to work with. The process is pretty simple, where our community uploads auditions for the live projects, the client selects the artist they want to work with, and finally pays them for the work. The system is also transparent so you know who else is participating.

And it actually doesn't cost you to participate on Audio Catch! You can just join on in after registering! But it is a business, so the way Audio Catch earns revenue to keep the lights on is by taking a nominal cut (up to 20%) from the amount paid out to the winning artist. There is no upfront fee beyond that. We have other value adds, but they aren't required.

As for the licensing, it can be be a super complicated mess so we simplified the licensing options to two types from which the client can choose from. One is a "non-exclusive" which allows the artist to retain ownership and to continue to use their material. And the other is a "buyout" where the ownership of the copyright transfers over to the client.

When it comes to giving credit, clients are usually all for it. OCGG, who is running the above mentioned Gigs, has stated on their project pages that they will be doing so specifically.

I know there is always skepticism on any business that works in the music space. But, we were built with the intent to provide a platform to keep creative work paid for by clients and not by artists. Feedback is always welcome guys.

Thanks,
Kyn

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 6th, 2013 @ 02:29 AM Reply

Never did I think I'd see newgrounds audio members complaining about a good opportunity to make money with their music.

Totally unnecessary.

Thanks for the heads up Kyn. I'd love to submit some entries but alas my studio comp is still on the fritz. OCGG is awesome, hope they find a good match.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 6th, 2013 @ 02:38 AM Reply

At 11/6/13 02:29 AM, Breed wrote: Never did I think I'd see newgrounds audio members complaining about a good opportunity to make money with their music.

Totally unnecessary.

Thanks for the heads up Kyn. I'd love to submit some entries but alas my studio comp is still on the fritz. OCGG is awesome, hope they find a good match.

There's nothing wrong with being careful about the rights to the content you create.

And thanks for clearing up some stuff. So the options for choosing the license type is nothing set in stone? Meaning that we can work out little details later on afterwards? Because most people who I have worked with let the composer keep the music rights but the person who hires you gets exclusive rights for example.

Check out my pages!

gamerveda
gamerveda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 6th, 2013 @ 02:42 AM Reply

Breed,

It's been a long time, bud! I hope you're well :) Though sorry to hear your rig is out of commission :( I hope it hasn't prevented you from taking on other cool gigs.

And no issues, I understand the concern around businesses in this space. Totally normal given the pressure the creative industry has been under for the past 15 years.

And, yeah we love the OCGG too. They have some of the most creative projects out there. We are particularly psyched about this KS project since we're table top gamers ourselves.

Keep in touch!

At 11/6/13 02:29 AM, Breed wrote: Never did I think I'd see newgrounds audio members complaining about a good opportunity to make money with their music.

Totally unnecessary.

gamerveda
gamerveda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 6th, 2013 @ 02:54 AM Reply

Hey stunkel :)

I totally understand your point here. However, when a Gig is launched the licensing rights are set "in stone" so to speak.

You know, we had to weigh a lot of pros and cons for managing the licensing options early on. On launch day, we had a number of custom options, including an "exclusive" rights option similar to what you are describing. However, we received a lot of feedback from our early clients that for an automated platform like ours they just wanted to choose between these two options and expedite the pace of creating their projects. So that's when we simplified and settled on 1.) Non Exclusive and 2.) Buyout licenses.

I know that there will be some elements that won't perfectly suit everyone. But as time goes on we continue to adapt and will try our best to accommodate features that our users want. Keep the feedback coming. Thanks a lot for it!

At 11/6/13 02:38 AM, stunkel wrote:
And thanks for clearing up some stuff. So the options for choosing the license type is nothing set in stone? Meaning that we can work out little details later on afterwards? Because most people who I have worked with let the composer keep the music rights but the person who hires you gets exclusive rights for example.
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 6th, 2013 @ 07:42 AM Reply

Whoah the site is amazing...its unfortunate that there are only those 5 offers at the moment, i dont own the quality instruments to rival those being submitted unfortunately :/
But i will certainly keep a keen eye to gigs being posted!
How regularly do new gigs appear?

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
gamerveda
gamerveda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Paid Gig: Audio Needed For Rpg Nov. 6th, 2013 @ 10:28 AM Reply

Hey DivoFST

Thanks for the compliments :) We're young and growing so there are certainly areas for improvement, but we're trying.

As for the offers, yep this is another areas we're trying to grow. This type of business model for audio is new. Usually clients don't want to chuck down a chunk of change for anything guaranteed in an audition, and we are working to change that view by proving that high quality audio is far more guaranteed if you're willing to pay for the work upfront. We'll get there :)

As for how often new Gigs go live, we have a nice variety of Gigs coming in all the time. We have locked in a few new ones that should be launching next week in addition to what we have live right now.

Stay tuned!

At 11/6/13 07:42 AM, DivoFST wrote: Whoah the site is amazing...its unfortunate that there are only those 5 offers at the moment, i dont own the quality instruments to rival those being submitted unfortunately :/
But i will certainly keep a keen eye to gigs being posted!
How regularly do new gigs appear?