Be a Supporter!

Worst VST instrument plugins?

  • 1,772 Views
  • 80 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
CeeeX
CeeeX
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 01:22 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 12:24 PM, Troisnyx wrote:

Nothing possibly *sounds* horrible when the right tweaking is done to it I guess -- heck, I love FL Slayer -- but there are some sounds which can't be used for their original purpose (or intended purpose, what have you).

Exactly, you've basically told that what I was trying to tell haha!


My soundtracks, your imagination

My Youtube channel

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 01:43 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 01:15 PM, Omegeist wrote: Price means nothing in this thread.

Isn't that so obvious?


Please review This Song [ Genre - Cinematic ] [Length - 3:33]

Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 01:43 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 11/7/13 01:15 PM, Omegeist wrote: Price means nothing in this thread.
Isn't that so obvious?

"What sounds terrible? Price means nothing in this thread. A free plugin should be scrutinized as much as a $500 one."

JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 10:01 AM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 11/7/13 01:47 AM, JacobCadmus wrote: DSK orchestral freeware plugins may actually sound even worse than Edirol. I just might give those a try. hopefully I can replicate that PS1-era mockup sound. ^_^
/ Because they're free. Edirol is a paid VST, which makes it worse than any free orchestra VST/library.
I actually like the DSK guitar and pipa, really cool stuff.

um yeah bud, the OP stated from the get-go that we're not counting the price factor.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 05:01 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 03:09 PM, Omegeist wrote:
At 11/7/13 01:43 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 11/7/13 01:15 PM, Omegeist wrote: Price means nothing in this thread.
Isn't that so obvious?
"What sounds terrible? Price means nothing in this thread. A free plugin should be scrutinized as much as a $500 one."

But that's not a fair fight for free software.


Please review This Song [ Genre - Cinematic ] [Length - 3:33]

JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 05:35 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 05:01 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 11/7/13 03:09 PM, Omegeist wrote:
At 11/7/13 01:43 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 11/7/13 01:15 PM, Omegeist wrote: Price means nothing in this thread.
Isn't that so obvious?
"What sounds terrible? Price means nothing in this thread. A free plugin should be scrutinized as much as a $500 one."
But that's not a fair fight for free software.

how's this for fair: Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra is another free library and sounds way better than DSK. in some cases, it even sounds better than Edirol.

LichLordMusic
LichLordMusic
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 06:02 PM Reply

There has been some terrible shit produced in Synthmaker before and published.


| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 06:02 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: There has been some terrible shit produced in Synthmaker before and published.

I made this loop a couple of years ago mostly with Synthmaker. It sounds phat.

Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 07:08 PM, Omegeist wrote:
At 11/7/13 06:02 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: There has been some terrible shit produced in Synthmaker before and published.
I made this loop a couple of years ago mostly with Synthmaker. It sounds phat.

God i always forget the links http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/490749

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Member since: May. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 11/5/13 07:57 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Guitar Rig is needlessly convoluted and half their products have a giant raging hard-on for module-based UI even when it is laughably inappropriate.

Guitar Rig is fucking gay.


My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
LloydeSorrow
LloydeSorrow
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 7th, 2013 @ 09:37 PM Reply

At 11/7/13 09:20 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 11/5/13 07:57 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Guitar Rig is needlessly convoluted and half their products have a giant raging hard-on for module-based UI even when it is laughably inappropriate.
Guitar Rig is fucking gay.

If Guitar Rig is gay then it must be awesome!


"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you..."

~ The Legend of Dragoon

Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 8th, 2013 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 11/7/13 09:20 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 11/5/13 07:57 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Guitar Rig is needlessly convoluted and half their products have a giant raging hard-on for module-based UI even when it is laughably inappropriate.
Guitar Rig is fucking gay.

Guitar Rig is just overall mediocre.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 8th, 2013 @ 10:52 AM Reply

Plouge Chipsounds, worst chiptune emulator ever used. UI is extremely terrible. Whole VST is buggy as hell.


Please review This Song [ Genre - Cinematic ] [Length - 3:33]

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 9th, 2013 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 11/8/13 07:24 AM, Omegeist wrote:
At 11/7/13 09:20 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 11/5/13 07:57 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Guitar Rig is needlessly convoluted and half their products have a giant raging hard-on for module-based UI even when it is laughably inappropriate.
Guitar Rig is fucking gay.
Guitar Rig is just overall mediocre.

Hey, I really like some of the effects in Guitar rig, but as an amp simulator? yeah, its pretty bad.


BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 9th, 2013 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Facts about Guitar Rig:
1 - it's not a vst instrument plugin
2 - it's pretty good as an amp sim, less "ballsy" than Amplitube but slighty more versatile. (love the "Rammfire" and the "Control Room Pro" that allow you to blend several cabinets with one amp)
3 - the new effects additions make it versatile as a mix/ master tool as well.

Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 10th, 2013 @ 12:20 AM Reply

At 11/9/13 05:01 PM, sorohanro wrote: Facts about Guitar Rig:
1 - it's not a vst instrument plugin
2 - it's pretty good as an amp sim, less "ballsy" than Amplitube but slighty more versatile. (love the "Rammfire" and the "Control Room Pro" that allow you to blend several cabinets with one amp)
3 - the new effects additions make it versatile as a mix/ master tool as well.

I don't go that far into the world of virtual amps but is Imageline's Hardcore as bad as Slayer?

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 11th, 2013 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 11/10/13 12:20 AM, Omegeist wrote: I don't go that far into the world of virtual amps but is Imageline's Hardcore as bad as Slayer?

Sort of different chapter of the same book.

As instrument, I have a love/hate story with Independence Free (Magix/ Yellow Tools). As a sampler is quite powerful and comes with a pretty good sound library, good effects and understandable GUI but... crashes, freeze the whole project, sometimes doesn't recognize wav format for no apparent reason, takes TONS of CPU and RAM... so, that's one of the worst best plugins around.

samulis
samulis
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 11th, 2013 @ 06:31 PM Reply

I really want to use this Varazdin Orchestral for shits and giggles, but I'd rather not waste my money. It's actually leagues better than GPO IMHO. Strings and brass (aside from trumpet) aren't half bad with Varazdin, but woodwinds suck. Maybe if you mixed Garritan and Varazdin you'd have a pretty decent sub-300 setup, but OH GOD THOSE TREMOLOS. O.o

Gotta back up whoever said GPO does have good woodwinds- they're better than most others. I sometimes use the flute in with EWQL and if the client ever comments on something in the piece they really like, it's always the flute. XD

I think orchestral plugins have a pretty big bass of "bad" (or in other words, just plain old) vsti- garritan, edirol, miroslav, etc.


My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 11th, 2013 @ 09:10 PM Reply

Alright guys, It's official, we have to run a contest on this but how do we do it?

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 11th, 2013 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 11/11/13 09:10 PM, Omegeist wrote: Alright guys, It's official, we have to run a contest on this but how do we do it?

Start off with people using FL Slayer to make classical music.


Please review This Song [ Genre - Cinematic ] [Length - 3:33]

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Worst VST instrument plugins? Nov. 12th, 2013 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 11/11/13 09:44 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Start off with people using FL Slayer to make classical music.

That's the bestest idea ever!!! You won the internet for today.