00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ratings vs Downloads?

1,087 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 15:38:36

Am I the only person who hates this? You see your download count is greater than your number of votes, and you're like what the flying pigsty?! You like it enough to download it, but you can't give me feedback, or vote, or nothing? Just gonna take it and run? I don't know. Just a pet peeve of mine. /endrant

Anyone else feel this way?

Free album downloads below!

Of Beauties and Beasts

Electronic orchestra

Response to Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 16:04:28

At 10/30/13 03:38 PM, OfBeauties wrote: Am I the only person who hates this? You see your download count is greater than your number of votes, and you're like what the flying pigsty?! You like it enough to download it, but you can't give me feedback, or vote, or nothing? Just gonna take it and run? I don't know. Just a pet peeve of mine. /endrant

Anyone else feel this way?

You are not alone! It would be nice if you had to at least rate the song before you could download it.

There's more on Soundcloud.

Response to Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 16:48:54

I do get irked when this happens....

The best example of this is my supposed 'best track' for 2012, Up, Up and Away. Said song was written for Game Jam 7. That thing had 2,000-odd plays, and close to 6,000 downloads. Or at least over 5,000.

Some say that there's an anomaly in Flash which makes it so that every time you access the song from within the game, it counts as a download. I'm not sure if this is true at all...... :/

Response to Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 16:53:52

At 10/30/13 04:48 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Some say that there's an anomaly in Flash which makes it so that every time you access the song from within the game, it counts as a download. I'm not sure if this is true at all...... :/

It's not an anomaly. The audio pulls directly from NG song ID when you are credited, every time someone loads the song, their internet browser has to cache it to play it. And to do that, it has to download it.

That's why every time someone loads a game/flash with your audio in it, it counts as a download.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 16:58:05

i've seen threads about this before. personally, i really don't see the problem. if someone likes my stuff enough to download it, then i see that as great honor. because clearly i must've been doing something right. maybe the dude who downloaded my song isn't musically knowledged, maybe he doesn't have an account, or maybe he just didn't want to give a detailed review. because i really don't think it's fair to expect consumers to give compulsory feedback to everything they experience.

i watched an interesting show on tv yesterday. but i certainly didn't write a letter to the author and give detailed feedback, even though i'm sure he would appreciate it. to me, this is the same thing.
if someone downloaded your song, it means they liked it. you should be proud.

also, the system is a bit wonky. i have a song with 2,974 plays and 648,916 downloads. haha. that seems to be pretty common, in case that's what you're talking about.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 17:16:39

At 10/30/13 04:58 PM, Schleif wrote: i've seen threads about this before. personally, i really don't see the problem. if someone likes my stuff enough to download it, then i see that as great honor. because clearly i must've been doing something right. maybe the dude who downloaded my song isn't musically knowledged, maybe he doesn't have an account, or maybe he just didn't want to give a detailed review. because i really don't think it's fair to expect consumers to give compulsory feedback to everything they experience.

For starters, even if you were doing something WRONG with the piece: if you had loyalty, your songs would be downloaded to begin with.

The lack of musical knowledge has not stopped people from commenting and giving good reiews about what they felt when they heard that piece. It ultimately boils down to whether the person does want to leave a review, or not. Not having an account is fine -- that means the person can't review, but he can darn right still vote.

While I agree it's not compulsory to give feedback (and it ought not to be), it starts getting loopy when the DLs far exceed the plays. Strangely enough, not every audio track that gets featured in a game does that.

i watched an interesting show on tv yesterday. but i certainly didn't write a letter to the author and give detailed feedback, even though i'm sure he would appreciate it. to me, this is the same thing.
if someone downloaded your song, it means they liked it. you should be proud.

Downloading the song, great! -- nine times out of ten it would be used for something. Sweet, someone used my music in a DeviantArt flash or even something on Youtube! -- but what would the purpose be? If the purpose is something you're alright with, then great! If you don't know what happened to your music, great -- no news sometimes is good news.

But if you happen to see your music being used for something you object to, then..... that would really make you sad, wouldn't it? It's as if the person's downloading it to spite you and what you stand for.

also, the system is a bit wonky. i have a song with 2,974 plays and 648,916 downloads. haha. that seems to be pretty common, in case that's what you're talking about.

Was said song featured in a game, or movie, or several of them?

Response to Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 17:20:23

call me insane like everyone else on every other topic ever in history but i like it more if i have unexplained downloads than when i have someone vote or review it for some reason, maybe cause i rather have someone listen to it than judge it.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Ratings vs Downloads? 2013-10-30 17:29:56

At 10/30/13 05:16 PM, Troisnyx wrote: stuff

fair enough. i see your points. i simply have a different mindset. when i see someone downloaded my stuff, i just feel happy they did, rather than pissed at them for not leaving feedback. not necessarily saying it's the "right" mindset, i'm not arguing about anything here. best way for good feedback, in my experience, is to shoot a PM to fellow musician, and ask for their input.

But if you happen to see your music being used for something you object to, then.....

then i wouldn't upload my stuff under a CC-licence.

Was said song featured in a game, or movie, or several of them?

nope. not as far as i know. certainly never been listed in that 'featured in this shit' thingie

BBS Signature