00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MoxKatt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Trouble setting medals on my game

760 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-27 21:11:46

I may have a really stupid problem...

I am finally finished my first game and I set 9 medals for it. They worked fine. Then, I just changed the images on the medals. The medals still worked but did NOT show the new images but the old ones. After many times deleting them and re-doing them with no change, I got mad and deleted the entire PROJECT. Then, I rebuilt the entire project with ALL NEW NAMES for everything.

So, I go to test the entirely new project and for some reason it is still loading the DELETED medals from the DELETED project and can't 'find' the new medals I put in... WTF is going on? (the problem is not my actionscript or files)

Is this just some ridiculous cosmetic issue with the newgrounds project system? If I just submit my game will it work fine, or is there some other way I need to fix the medals first?

Please help.

Response to Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-27 21:16:15

At 10/27/13 09:11 PM, SlingBang wrote: Is this just some ridiculous cosmetic issue with the newgrounds project system?

Probably, it's pretty buggy right now. Refresh your browser's cache and give it some time to update, maybe a day or two.

Response to Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-27 21:22:42

At 10/27/13 09:16 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 10/27/13 09:11 PM, SlingBang wrote: Is this just some ridiculous cosmetic issue with the newgrounds project system?
Probably, it's pretty buggy right now. Refresh your browser's cache and give it some time to update, maybe a day or two.

OK, I'll give it up for today and go watch a movie. I've been working on this game for 12 hours straight and was so close to being done... oh well.

Response to Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-28 10:05:59

To be more specific, it is the API that is not loading the correct information. It says:

Connecting to the Newgrounds API Gateway...

...then it loads all the DELETED project data and medals... I cleared my browser cache and it didn't help.

Also, this kind of problem has been happening for over a month while I've been working on this project. Nothing updates when I change it. If I update the game file, then preview it, the old, deleted file is the one that previews. The only way the game file updated properly was if I kept changing the file names on my computer. (and then it 'worked' but still showed the old file name on the details screen...)

This seems like a newgrounds API error, not Flash, so should I post this problem somewhere else?

Response to Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-28 11:28:13

At 10/28/13 10:05 AM, SlingBang wrote: Connecting to the Newgrounds API Gateway...

...then it loads all the DELETED project data and medals... I cleared my browser cache and it didn't help.

When I was making a game, it was the first time for me when I used medals, so I made a couple of errors and deleted 2 same medals. But the API kept loading them. Also, API was counting them in the total number of medals. Also, when I checked out profiles of people who played my games, to my horror I saw that they got 6/8 medals, 2 of which are in fact deleted, and they will therefore never get them. Same 6/8 displayed in my own profile.

Then I went crazy and deleted the entire game

Response to Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-28 16:05:21

At 10/28/13 11:28 AM, kkots wrote:
At 10/28/13 10:05 AM, SlingBang wrote: Connecting to the Newgrounds API Gateway...

When I was making a game, it was the first time for me when I used medals, so I made a couple of errors and deleted 2 same medals. But the API kept loading them. Also, API was counting them in the total number of medals. Also, when I checked out profiles of people who played my games, to my horror I saw that they got 6/8 medals, 2 of which are in fact deleted, and they will therefore never get them. Same 6/8 displayed in my own profile.

Then I went crazy and deleted the entire game

Hahaha. I laughed bc it's the same tragedy I am facing :( funny story however, cheered me up for a few minutes...
I getting the feeling that this is an 'unfixable' error? So, any work-arounds? Right now I have 9 NEW medals that don't work, and 9 DELETED medals that the API imagines exist.

Maybe I should delete my entire newgrounds account and make a entirely new user!!!! meanwhile, the API will still reconigize my IP address and reattach all 18 deleted medals !!! wheee!

Response to Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-28 16:07:25

At 10/28/13 04:05 PM, SlingBang wrote: Hahaha. I laughed bc it's the same tragedy I am facing :( funny story however, cheered me up for a few minutes...
I getting the feeling that this is an 'unfixable' error? So, any work-arounds? Right now I have 9 NEW medals that don't work, and 9 DELETED medals that the API imagines exist.

Maybe I should delete my entire newgrounds account and make a entirely new user!!!! meanwhile, the API will still reconigize my IP address and reattach all 18 deleted medals !!! wheee!

A less drastic approach would be to pm Tom or someone about it. I'm still a bit lost as to who does what for this website, but Tom can point you in the right direction if it's not something he can do.

Response to Trouble setting medals on my game 2013-10-28 17:28:17

Well, I must thank you two, MSGhero and kkots, for the time you spend helping a newbie like me... ESPECIALLY when I found the error... was... my own fault...

After I deleted the first project and made a NEW one... I forgot to change the newgrounds ID and game key in the preloader... which calls the API of course...

So, it works now, hopefully... I'm testing it now, and submitting it if it does!