00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

wanting to learn programming

540 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

wanting to learn programming 2013-10-18 18:02:14

i wanted to take a programming class in high school but sadly they would not allow it, all of the classes had been filled and i was requesting a schedule change way too late in the school year. so with the option of learning programming in school having been eliminated, where should i turn to to pursue such a task? are i suppose there are some good informative pages on the internet i could read but finding such pages may be difficult. are there any recommended books or web pages my fellow newgrounds friends suggest? besides selecting a language to learn what should i use to edit and write source codes and what should i use to compile said codes? i am a bit oblivious to a subject of which i have the desire to learn. informative information would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Response to wanting to learn programming 2013-10-18 20:13:33

I personally would recommend learning basic C++ first if you are serious about getting into programming. A great site for that: http://www.cplusplus.com/. Learning C++ would give you a solid foundation on which to build on. Stuff learned from C++ could be easily transferred to just about any other programming language, such as C#. For rapid application development, I prefer Visual Basic, or C#. However, learning C++ requires patience, time, and experimenting... and lots of it.

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to wanting to learn programming 2013-10-19 00:06:46

It really depends on what you want to program. If you'd like to do something for the web, you have a lot of options. You'd probably want to start with HTML, CSS, and Javascript...then move on to actual languages such as PHP, Java, or a .NET language.

Your aim would likely change though, depending on what you want to do. If you'd like to code mobile apps, iOS devices use Objective-C. Android devices use Java. Or, if you'd like to code something for PC applications/gaming, C++ is a good way to go, as is C#.

Response to wanting to learn programming 2013-10-19 06:06:31

Give Python a try.

It's easy, high level, and will have you writing programs doing a wide range of things in no time.

The linked website is a great tutorial that will do more than just get you started.

C++ is great, was my first real language, and has suffered more hours of my programming time than any other language, but I no longer believe it is the best launch point for an interested beginner.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to wanting to learn programming 2013-10-19 14:53:23

I agree, I wouldn't go straight to C++, its just too complicated for beginners. I'm not saying you couldn't figure it out, but it's easier to separate 'how to think like a computer' when you don't have to worry so much about complicated topics like memory management and pointers. I would do something easier like BASIC, javascript, or Python. Some people don't like them, but I think they're a great place to start. Try Khan Academy or Code Academy.

BBS Signature

Response to wanting to learn programming 2013-10-29 21:52:09

codecademy.com is great to start learning syntax. and javascript is taking over flash games and vids. I would suggest javascript, i started with python, but its mostly white space and a pain, where javascript is slightly more technical? i would say