00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MoxKatt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Splinter Cell or Metal Gear

2,902 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-02 13:43:48

Tell me your reasons

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-02 13:50:31

At 10/2/13 01:43 PM, ShiningFox wrote: Tell me your reasons

Metal gear, no question. Mostly for the story and characters, but I prefer the game play quite a bit too, although SC 1 is still great.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"

"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-02 15:31:50

They are both a really, really good series of games. Using the art of stealth to get to your objective. In the games u can climb walls like a ninja or something like that. Really impressive games.

ila

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-04 04:59:34

Metal Gear. MGS3 was awesome.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-04 05:01:15

At 10/4/13 04:59 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Metal Gear. MGS3 was awesome.

Although, I'll pick Tenchu over both. Shame it hasn't been the same after Wrath of Heaven.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-04 05:12:06

Tried metal gear once and couldn't stand the gameplay. Dialogue was fun but the gameplay lost me. Splinter Cell I really enjoy the gameplay and the story at the same time.

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-04 05:38:33

I have more experience with splinter cell but I'm not a huge fan of either.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-04 06:04:35

I massively prefer Metal Gear plainly because the control feels better for me, + I grew up playing that.

But in any case, if you closely examine them, there is no real diffrence between them. They are both about a veteran being sent in alone against supposed impossible odds, with nothing but communication with a team of advisors to help him, on a mission to prevent a nuclear threat from either plunging the world into a third world war or destroying half the planet. Sure SC is third person and MGS is top-down, but at their core they are the same.

Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.

Cheap Voice acting/Narrator voiceovers!

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-04 09:45:55

At 10/4/13 06:04 AM, Nithael wrote: Sure SC is third person and MGS is top-down, but at their core they are the same.

Do you just mean MG? Cause as far as I'm aware all the MGS games are third person too. Discounting the weird shit like Acid.

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 08:04:57

At 10/4/13 09:45 AM, Trambamboline wrote:
At 10/4/13 06:04 AM, Nithael wrote: Sure SC is third person and MGS is top-down, but at their core they are the same.
Do you just mean MG? Cause as far as I'm aware all the MGS games are third person too. Discounting the weird shit like Acid.

First and second ones are top-down. I havent actually played any of them except for the original however. That and Metal Gear.
The third one however is third person, and I believe the fourth is aswell.

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 10:32:31

Forgot to mention Rising, was a pretty cool game.

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 11:30:52

I've never played a Splinter Cell game so Metal Gear even though I only like the original on the MSX2 and Peace Walker.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 11:58:42

Metal Gear.
I've always enjoyed the game play and storyline. Though I still get confused as to why they released 3 as a prequel and then released 4 as being set in the future....

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 14:18:53

At 10/6/13 11:58 AM, Viper50 wrote: Metal Gear.
I've always enjoyed the game play and storyline. Though I still get confused as to why they released 3 as a prequel and then released 4 as being set in the future....

Metal Gear Solid 1 was made because the ps1 could handle the creative ideas of Kojima that he couldn't expres in Metal Gear 1+2.
In MGS2 Kojima just wanted to see Solid Snake from another persepective, thus Raiden was created.
MGS2 was planned as the last game, to clear up everything in the story and would be the ending. But instead of that MGS3 was made as a prequel, so you could follow Big Boss and the story was even more explained.
MGS4 got Solid Snake back, the perfect ending.
MGS5 will be after MGS3 (or Peace Walker..)
MGR focusses on Raiden

It's realy creative how he build that up, I think that in MGS5, Big Boss will be turning evil. After that comes Metal Gear 1, Big Boss as the villain. I could be wrong, correct me if I do so
So yeah

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 14:39:53

Metal Gear was a top-down NES game, Metal Gear Solid was essentially the same game but more elaborated and better made. Im not sure which one was third person since I have only played Metal Gear, MGS and MGR, but I remember seeing it and being like WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 14:43:15

At 10/6/13 02:18 PM, ShiningFox wrote:
At 10/6/13 11:58 AM, Viper50 wrote:
It's realy creative how he build that up, I think that in MGS5, Big Boss will be turning evil. After that comes Metal Gear 1, Big Boss as the villain. I could be wrong, correct me if I do so
So yeah

There is no actual evil or good in the Metal Gear universe, the whole saga is about how people only really fight for themselves, not some "greater good" or anything like that. Granted Metal Gear Rising is the only game that actually clearly portrays that but I guess Kojima got tired of subtext.

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 14:51:11

At 10/6/13 02:18 PM, ShiningFox wrote: In MGS2 Kojima just wanted to see Solid Snake from another persepective, thus Raiden was created.

Erm, actually, Raiden was a product of dumb japanese schoolgirls. Konami polled a bunch of people who don't usually buy games about MGS 1, including schoolgirls, and a bunch of the girls said "Eww, who wants a story about ugly old men? Old men are so useless, I hate them!" and thus, Raiden. Another character that proves that anything can be made better with the liberal application of Cyborg Ninja.

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 15:33:11

Metal Gear, but only by default since it's the only one amongst the two series I've played.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-06 16:31:22

At 10/6/13 02:18 PM, ShiningFox wrote: MGS4 got Solid Snake back, the perfect ending.

That and it went more in depth with what happened with Liquid and Ocelot.

It takes place in that gap between Peace Walker and MGS1.
Though at the end of V there is a 9 year gap between it and MGS1. So anything could happen there. Hell they could decide that they want to make another game if they feel not all loose ends are tied up at the end of V. Because as far as I know thats the biggest gap timeline wise between any of the main MG games.

MGR focusses on Raiden

I didn't like the premise of MGR so I've never been too compelled to get a copy of it. I don't know why but theres just something about Raiden that I don't like.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-07 11:39:29

At 10/6/13 02:51 PM, Trambamboline wrote:
At 10/6/13 02:18 PM, ShiningFox wrote: In MGS2 Kojima just wanted to see Solid Snake from another persepective, thus Raiden was created.
Erm, actually, Raiden was a product of dumb japanese schoolgirls. Konami polled a bunch of people who don't usually buy games about MGS 1, including schoolgirls, and a bunch of the girls said "Eww, who wants a story about ugly old men? Old men are so useless, I hate them!" and thus, Raiden. Another character that proves that anything can be made better with the liberal application of Cyborg Ninja.

Hideo Kojima personally requested the development of Raiden as a means to develop Snake from a third-person perspective- Metal Gear wikia
Also, i didn't find any info about the schoolgirls. I could never imagine Kojima doing such a poll or give permission to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-07 11:43:04

At 10/6/13 04:31 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 10/6/13 02:18 PM, ShiningFox wrote: MGS4 got Solid Snake back, the perfect ending.
That and it went more in depth with what happened with Liquid and Ocelot.

It takes place in that gap between Peace Walker and MGS1.
Though at the end of V there is a 9 year gap between it and MGS1. So anything could happen there. Hell they could decide that they want to make another game if they feel not all loose ends are tied up at the end of V. Because as far as I know thats the biggest gap timeline wise between any of the main MG games.

MGR focusses on Raiden
I didn't like the premise of MGR so I've never been too compelled to get a copy of it. I don't know why but theres just something about Raiden that I don't like.

Maybe that nostalgic feeling that Solid Snake gives? And that Solid Snake came in all trailers of MGS2, when he was a side-char in the real game. Also, Raiden wasn't mentioned in the trailers, only with his divers mask.

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-07 12:15:01

At 10/7/13 11:43 AM, ShiningFox wrote: Maybe that nostalgic feeling that Solid Snake gives?

Maybe....

And that Solid Snake came in all trailers of MGS2, when he was a side-char in the real game. Also, Raiden wasn't mentioned in the trailers, only with his divers mask.

To be honest, I never watched a single trailer for any of the MGS games except for 4. I actually didn't even play MGS2 til after I played 3. Same with 1.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-07 19:50:31

Close call but I would say Metal Gear, primarily for the story and Characters.

I would probably choose Splinter Cell in terms of polished gameplay mechanics.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-08 11:58:52

Please don't let me choose between my two babies

Seriously please

Splinter Cell or Metal Gear

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-16 08:13:50

Another thing that makes me love MGS is the fact that you can hide in a box. A FUCKING BOX. AND IT ACTUALLY HAS A PRACTICAL USE.

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-16 09:10:03

Splinter cell, only a two year old could find MGS's story seriously.

Wade Fulp replying to me = greatest day of my life

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-16 11:09:10

At 10/16/13 09:10 AM, s0und wrote: Splinter cell, only a two year old could find MGS's story seriously.

are you kidding me

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-16 14:31:19

At 10/16/13 08:13 AM, Nithael wrote: Another thing that makes me love MGS is the fact that you can hide in a box. A FUCKING BOX. AND IT ACTUALLY HAS A PRACTICAL USE.

It's the best disguise ever!
No one suspects the magical box that moves while your back is turned!

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-18 06:38:56

At 10/16/13 02:31 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 10/16/13 08:13 AM, Nithael wrote:
It's the best disguise ever!
No one suspects the magical box that moves while your back is turned!

Exactly! ITS JUST LIKE HKJASGDJHGAJHQWGEJHGASFJ.

Response to Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2013-10-21 05:57:56

A Metal Gear fan here.
Although i have never tried a "Splinter Cell" game, i would recommend Metal Gear or the Metal Gear Solid series. It's fun, i like the MSX version very much because its a very old fun stealth game which you as a player emerge, so if you're not into story telling type of game, then this is for you, you can play it on MGS3 subsistence for PS2, and it also follows in the "Metal Gear Solid HD Collection" that you can get for Xbox 360 or PS3.

I would also recommend Metal Gear Solid 1, because the game experience is well executed, and fells solid, no pun intended. But other than that, you should also try out some other Metal Gear games if you have time, see what you think is the good MG/MGS game for you, there is games for everyone so have fun :D