Respond to this Topic
emptywindow
emptywindow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 05:33 PM Reply

been a member for 10 years. I would like to see the site move forwards instead of backwards though. maybe.. make more stuff worth buying and sell more of it. It's a shame man. you know?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 05:40 PM Reply

At 9/26/13 03:59 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: I had a thought here.
How about offering digital downloads of things? Such as the CDs that the store currently offers. Once the store loses physical items, what about having digital downloads for the CD, allowing for those projects to continue in the future.

Digital downloads have been on our radar for a while now; the ability to sell music, sell games (web or download), etc.. Also microtransactions. Time will tell which of these we address!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 06:00 PM Reply

At 9/26/13 05:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: sell games

NG GREENLIGHT CONFIRMED WATCH YOU BACK VALVE

BBS Signature
Matt-Porter
Matt-Porter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 03:36 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/25/13 03:19 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I have a soft spot for NG. and it's sad to see things are going this way. Honestly, NG just hasn't been able to compete in a competitive space. Other competing sites have either been acquired, or have moved onto other areas of business like publishing. It's complicated, but I feel like NG doesn't really know what it is anymore. There is too much holding onto days gone by rather than trying to innovate or do something new and different. A lot of people that jive with these old things like Pico day or Madness day are grown up or gone. I'm skeptical that this stuff brings any decent traffic. Just adding support for HTML5 games, and videos won't cut it either I don't think. That's just my personal perspective from the outside looking in. Obviously the NG team works hard, and I am just a bystander that doesn't have a great grasp of the situation. So, ignore me. Regardless, I'll still always be lurking in the flash forums. :)
The accumulation of features has been a growing weight, which is why doing things like eliminating the store and some of the event days can ultimately be good, if we can spend our hours on new things instead of maintaining old things that people aren't really that interested in anymore.

The publishing angle has been tempting but I've always felt awkward about it because I like to find ways to help people make and publish things on their own, without giving a chunk to a publisher. There are still lots of useful publishers doing useful things for devsm but it's nice for a dev to be able to make it without one and truly be in control of their destiny.

Alternatively I do wonder about the on-line game sales angle, because I talk to devs with great games that aren't on Steam. I imagine as soon as we address something like that, so will Steam, and when you look at stuff like today's announcement of the steambox beta, you know you're up against something pretty damn awesome and hard to compete with.

I think there's potential for Newgrounds to move into the publishing space. You mentioned seeing great games that aren't on Steam, and this is a very real issue. I'm currently working on a game that will be going to Steam, and we have a publisher lined up that will be taking 20%, which is lower than the normal 30% standard. If Newgorunds had a publishing account for Steam, and other services, and offered a rate that was lower than this 30% industry standard, perhaps both parties could benefit. Obviously hours need to be put in to find and approve games, do the paperwork so to speak, and make sure developer's get their pay, but there's some HUGE money in Steam games, and even a 10% cut to Newgrounds could be beneficial, granted you pick the right games to publish.

I don't know why 30% is the standard for publishers, but I have a hunch that they're making a pretty good profit for a decently low amount of work. If you can compete with that 30% with a 10-20% rate, and get situated in the market, it could be a great way to stay true to helping developers, and keeping NG flourishing.

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 9/26/13 05:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: Digital downloads have been on our radar for a while now; the ability to sell music, sell games (web or download), etc...

Dear god make NG a place you could buy games like GOG and shit.
Dear god do it, Tom.
This is such a fucking good idea, Tom.
It could bring back guys like Edmund, Tommy, the guys who made Don't Shit Your Pants, Glaiel-Gamer, and others who have left to make full Steam Games, Tom.
It could make NG tons of money, Tom.
It could make NG a viable platform and relevant again, Tom.
You could have a voting system like Greenlight or like a $25-$50 entrance fee or both to deter viruses and promote quality games, Tom.
You could appoint download game moderators so that nobody releases terrible games for money, Tom.
I'd be willing to volunteer to this non existent position, Tom.
DO THIS SHIT NOW TOM!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
PLZ!

Also microtransactions.

Eeew!
Gross!
Don't do that shit!

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Oh, and @TomFulp you could kinda make it suit all kinds of games.
Like a high quality with actual keyboard support App Store.

BBS Signature
Theshortsoflife
Theshortsoflife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 07:54 PM Reply

No store? I DO NOT EVEN HAVE ANY NG MERCH!

Important Store News

"Voted worlds most scariest man by 8/10 childern" ~ psychicpebble

BBS Signature
Bit
Bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 09:13 PM Reply

I'd like to make a purchase in the near future. Any chance of restocking the Angry Faic or Tank keychains, Tom? What about the Mystery Boxes?

I should have bought my Newgrounds merch years ago... You don't know what you have until it's gone.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 11:51 PM Reply

Is the Credits and Info pod going to get fixed soon? Really miss the old days, when there was a shit-ton of info there... as well as detailed stats after you voted, like blam-to-save ratio, whistle status...

Important Store News

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 12:17 AM Reply

Yeah I see good things coming from the focus on digital merchandise. And I agree with @matt-porter about becoming a pub, I always figured it was a matter of time. I think the integration of the social functions and the multi-player functions or really going to make this a viable option.

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 12:25 AM Reply

Now my stuff is going to become collectible once I auction them off in 10 years

AnalogByNature
AnalogByNature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Dear Tom,

Don't do this. You should always sell shit.
ALWAYS.

We love to buy it, and people love to make real life earth monies!
Perhaps, take some time - see what it's like minus a store for a year, or partner up with Threadless or someone.
There's untapped T-Shirt potential in Newgrounds that doesn't soley consist of Biteman of Blackenwoods. Maybe user-generated store submissions?
That's either a really good idea right there, or I'm just high again.

Free albums every month! Use our stuff in your stuff! Contact us if you need music, voice over, or artwork for your submissions! Our Profile and here's Our Song Library

Paideia
Paideia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 02:00 AM Reply

Why don't you just make Castle Crashers 2, which will make a gigacock of money, and use the money to re-open the store/smoke crack rocks.

internetshadow0000
internetshadow0000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 04:30 AM Reply

I have to agree that linking up with Steam or somehow getting involved in the sales end of the gaming industry would make for possibly a good move on the part of the website as a business. Obviously, there is a ton of more money to be made if people are actually buying games,movies, audio etc.
As far as I know, there is not a Flash-dedicated publisher out there. If there is any website in the position to be able to become such an entity, then Newgrounds is that one ( with Armor Games maybe being second.) With all of the huge amount of popularity that some of these games alone receive, there have been plenty of self-sustaining studios that have come up out of this end of the great web of game-making talent. What there is missing, is a system to organize it all and bridge the gap between hobby and small-scale flash game makers, and the big professional-grade people. Steam serves as this for the general Executable-based gaming industry, but they do not deal in Flash games.
If Newgrounds could somehow become the Steam of Flash Games (Or collaborate with Steam to introduce Flash Games via Newgrounds into Steam, then I believe this would help both companies, the artists, programmers, animators etc that make the Flash products and the players like myself who would always love to have more gaming options available to us. Newgrounds already offers a working submission and hosting system so there would really not need to be anything new made on the inside design-wise. If what this site offers could be coupled with the (admittedly brilliant) sales tools found in Steam, I believe there would be a galactic-scale cash cow to be made.

Now I am not a businessman, programmer or anything like that, but I do know that, I would certainly be in huge support of a union like that. Just no matter what Tom, never let any company talk you into selling Newgrounds. Too many good sites have disappeared that way. 1UP is a major case in point, no matter what, don't let this place end up going the way of 1UP,please!

Eggy
Eggy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 06:20 AM Reply

This makes me a little sad. Ugh wish I wasn't so broke at the moment to buy stuff before it closes.

Jess-The-Dragoon
Jess-The-Dragoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 09:51 AM Reply

I've had T-shirts gotten from competition prizes and honestly, I love them. I'm still wearing my angry faic t-shirt I got from 2007 Madness Day contest. The reason why I don't want to discard it is because I can't seem to purchase T-shirts or any other kind of NG merchandise from NG store from where I live. I've been asking around about whether NG ships to abroad but I didn't get an answer. I think my reason could be one of the reasons why the store is gong to be cleared now.
Anyway, I think NG should have store give-aways instead of just cash prizes for competitions. This could help clear the store faster.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 09:52 AM Reply

At 9/26/13 06:12 PM, Matt-Porter wrote: I don't know why 30% is the standard for publishers, but I have a hunch that they're making a pretty good profit for a decently low amount of work. If you can compete with that 30% with a 10-20% rate, and get situated in the market, it could be a great way to stay true to helping developers, and keeping NG flourishing.

That has been my thought - take less than 30%. I also feel like we could have a pretty liberal refund window, so if a game isn't up to snuff buyers can get their money back. The way I see it, this wouldn't be abused because people who don't want to pay for games can already pirate them pretty easily. If someone asks for a refund, it would be most likely be because the developer really delivered a shoddy product (excessive bugs, misrepresentation, etc.).

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 9/26/13 09:13 PM, Stevenscar wrote: I should have bought my Newgrounds merch years ago... You don't know what you have until it's gone.

The reality is that if more people had bought stuff from the store, more stuff would have been produced. If more people had bought Tankmen, I would have pulled the trigger on the Pico figures that were already tooled and ready for mass production in China. There was just no hope of recouping the final production and shipping costs so I had to cut our losses. Hopefully people take this as a reminder to support the things they care about!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 10:02 AM Reply

At 9/27/13 02:00 AM, Paideia wrote: Why don't you just make Castle Crashers 2, which will make a gigacock of money, and use the money to re-open the store/smoke crack rocks.

Newgrounds doesn't get the money made by the Behemoth, most of it is reinvested in growing the Behemoth. But Behemoth pays my salary when NG can't and that has been a huge help in recent years.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 10:06 AM Reply

At 9/27/13 09:51 AM, Jess-The-Dragoon wrote: I've had T-shirts gotten from competition prizes and honestly, I love them. I'm still wearing my angry faic t-shirt I got from 2007 Madness Day contest. The reason why I don't want to discard it is because I can't seem to purchase T-shirts or any other kind of NG merchandise from NG store from where I live. I've been asking around about whether NG ships to abroad but I didn't get an answer. I think my reason could be one of the reasons why the store is gong to be cleared now.
Anyway, I think NG should have store give-aways instead of just cash prizes for competitions. This could help clear the store faster.

You should be able to order and receive items anywhere in the world, unless you are in one of the few countries we blacklisted because none of the orders ever made it to their recipients.

That has been another problem with the store - international orders sometimes never arrive and we have to send out a second shipment, eating the cost of the lost merchandise and repeat shipping. We also have chargebacks, when people use stolen credit cards or a parent cancels the payment on something their kid bought. We just had a $71 chargeback this past week. A lot of that money was sunk production costs for the merchandise we made, so it cancels out the profits made from a bunch of other orders. Another benefit to just focusing on digital, where there aren't sunk production costs or lost items.

BBS Signature
Rampager
Rampager
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 9/25/13 03:36 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Alternatively I do wonder about the on-line game sales angle, because I talk to devs with great games that aren't on Steam. I imagine as soon as we address something like that, so will Steam, and when you look at stuff like today's announcement of the steambox beta, you know you're up against something pretty damn awesome and hard to compete with.

This is what I've been wondering what NG would be saying about these upcoming consoles that are coming out. I just been thinking about this for a while. and worried a bit.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 9/26/13 06:29 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 9/26/13 05:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: Digital downloads have been on our radar for a while now; the ability to sell music, sell games (web or download), etc...
Dear god make NG a place you could buy games like GOG and shit.
Dear god do it, Tom.

I came back from PAX really determined to do this. Our project system and store system already complete a lot of the necessary steps, but there is more to do. We've been evaluating all the new messes we'll make.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 9/27/13 10:09 AM, Rampager wrote: This is what I've been wondering what NG would be saying about these upcoming consoles that are coming out. I just been thinking about this for a while. and worried a bit.

One positive note is that Steam allows other stores to sell Steam keys without taking a cut, in order to keep players in the Steam ecosystem. This means we should be able to include Steam keys with games we sell, assuming they continue to offer that. I do have a feeling this would require a traditional 70/30 split, not sure if you're allowed to undercut their rates while selling their keys. I haven't actually talked to anyone at Steam so all my info could be wrong.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 10:12 AM Reply

Any chance of bringing the streams back, Tom? I think those were an easy and cheap way to bring the community together...

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 10:17 AM Reply

At 9/27/13 10:12 AM, ZJ wrote: Any chance of bringing the streams back, Tom? I think those were an easy and cheap way to bring the community together...

I've been really focused on some development work and I'm all secretive about showing it, which I know goes against the modern practice of livestreaming your work... I just like to surprise people and have things feel like magic out of nowhere. I want to milk myself while I'm in the zone and not create distractions.

We do have some things in the works for 2014 that should have an awesome impact on the community aspect of NG. PRAY FOR US.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 11:29 AM Reply

I don't think I'll be able to get a shirt any time soon.

Regardless, every time that I would check, the standard NG shirt in black never had large or medium.

I hope that at least in the near future you can start selling more again somewhere like Shark Robot or something.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Rampager
Rampager
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 11:39 AM Reply

At 9/27/13 10:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: I've been really focused on some development work and I'm all secretive about showing it, which I know goes against the modern practice of livestreaming your work... I just like to surprise people and have things feel like magic out of nowhere. I want to milk myself while I'm in the zone and not create distractions.

We do have some things in the works for 2014 that should have an awesome impact on the community aspect of NG. PRAY FOR US.

Newgrounds has been on my mind for months I've been inadvertently praying for a while now haha I just want the awesomeness to happen and pray *someone* out there is in the zone for it can create it make the community come to life and grow.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 12:09 PM Reply

Since you're talking about wanting to go digital with stuff on here have you thought about having downloads for like albums and stuff like that on here? Like it's $5 for an "album" of 10 songs of your choice and its $0.50 more for every additional song and the money goes back to the artist whom the song belongs to.

stupid idea, i know. just wanted to throw that out there.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
Aethos
Aethos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 12:43 PM Reply

@Tom, I have a proposition for you.

I can take over the store for you, and to make it easier on you, build a separate website in which you can link from here (save you some bandwith).
I already have connections established with Manufacturer's in China (and America) as well, so I can keep making the current line of figurines.
I'll take over all the operations of physical goods, including working with other creators here as well as introducing new items (I'm thinking Halloween costumes right now), and do all the work and hire someone on my own accord to help.

In exchange, I will give you a certain percentage of the sales, as well as give a percentage of said sales to any product using a creation of someone here (Example: In Starbarian's figurine sales, part of that money would go to The makers of Starbarians). We could negotiate percentages here or in PM's if your interested.
This would also encourage more developers to create and post their content on NG as they can make money off the merchandising is their creation becomes popular enough.

Another thing I would want implement would be voting points; Everytime a user correctly blams or saves something, they earn a point. Enough points can get you free stuff at the store. However, to make it more balanced, anytime a user incorrectly blams or saves something, they lose 3 points (this is to prevent abusing the point system by preventing mass blind voting).
Also, the daily 5 votes net you 1 point as well, which would also encourage daily voting in general.

And finally, to give more meaning to voting in the music and art sections, I can offer to create albums and high quality prints of musicins/artists who gain a certain number of votes and (maybe) downloads. Like all other material sold, they will gain part of the revenue as well.

I think this business model would be key to retaining creators from leaving NG and going unto other sites such as Youtube and Soundcloud, while increasing traffic here as well.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 27th, 2013 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 9/27/13 12:43 PM, Aethos wrote: @Tom, I have a proposition for you.

Better PM him.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature