aListers
aListers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 16:32:19 Reply

Can you at least do a mystery box every once in a while?

As for the changing of the drop down bars, I'm all for it. I'd rather you put it in small clickable text above or below the buttons like they used to (People may mistake them for ads) but whatever will keep this site running. I hope that there will be more emphasis on the classic portal again though.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-on= anime era.
What have I done with my life?
clock crew

BBS Signature
Metraff
Metraff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 16:44:21 Reply

Guess I know where I'm blowing my earnings next.

@metraff @NG_Artists Support Newgrounds
"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 17:03:00 Reply

Hope you're not busy the next week or so Tom... got envelopes?

All the same, I'm glad you're streamlining the site and reducing manhours, however, selling merch on another website, and simply putting the link on the FP (with the other NG links), might be a preferable alternative. Newgrounds site traffic will pick up soon! Just need some ads...

"I know about exploitation, I've been exploited all my life." -- VicariousE and Elwood Blues

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 17:10:08 Reply

Aww no store :'( but I guess I understand why. Still doesn't suck any less.

just keeping it mad :P

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 17:13:54 Reply

At 9/25/13 04:23 PM, sweet21 wrote: Will you throw everything in the store at other online retailers like sharkrobot.com or something?

I might talk to Sharkrobot about shirts and might try putting the Tankmen up on Amazon... All sorta up in the air at the moment. Might be tough to get someone else to sell the Penicorns. :P

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DBuck-Eye
DBuck-Eye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 17:16:39 Reply

Guess I'm gonna need to buy a shirt soon. Does this mean a wider variety of digital goods will be available in the future? Donations to artists, or micropayments in games could be pretty cool, in my opinion.

Super FTC!

It's terrible, but I'm trying to make it better.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 17:20:34 Reply

At 9/25/13 02:35 PM, Amaranthus wrote: have a clearance sale tom

This^ Put on a huge ass sale so I can buy a bunch of random junk I don't need but want anyway.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
PsychoZombii
PsychoZombii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 17:53:33 Reply

I would buy bought tons of things from the store if it accepted paypal...

RobertClock
RobertClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Animator
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 18:34:57 Reply

Everytime I click 'Order!' it sends me back to step 1/3 :(((

BBS Signature
KillerSkull
KillerSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Gamer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 18:48:09 Reply

Looks like I'll never get my NG shirt or sticker.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 18:48:35 Reply

At 9/25/13 05:13 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/25/13 04:23 PM, sweet21 wrote: Will you throw everything in the store at other online retailers like sharkrobot.com or something?
I might talk to Sharkrobot about shirts and might try putting the Tankmen up on Amazon... All sorta up in the air at the moment. Might be tough to get someone else to sell the Penicorns. :P

Why not move back to using CafePress for logo shirts/tote bags/etc? That way there's still NG merch to be had for those of us that want it and you aren't bogged down with wasting time and you at least get some type of kickback from it right? or do they charge fees?

Also, my wife totally lost my angry faic keychain. I want a new one :( Maybe you can setup some type of item trading system in the old store pages so I could trade with somebody for it using my NG logo keychain :3

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Steinberg
Steinberg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 19:08:47 Reply

Aww shit, I wanted to buy like EVERYTHING once I've got money, turns out it's been three years since I said that and I still haven't got any money, oh well... I'll just make a Tankman with clay.

YenMuffin
YenMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 19:24:28 Reply

Maybe NG should have it's own crowdfunding operation. Successful projects you backed could show up like past purchases.

Funding Grounds

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure sucks ass.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 19:45:13 Reply

At 9/25/13 05:53 PM, BlueSpectrum wrote: I would buy bought tons of things from the store if it accepted paypal...

Same here. THAT I'd be able to use for payment since I can at least find the card things to put money on my PayPal account. I can't find any of those disposable credit cards (since I don't have an actual credit card) or whatever the hell they're called. And trust me. I've looked.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 19:46:23 Reply

I've never bought anything (except a shirt that I got with credit ^u^), so I'm ambivalent, but couldn't you strike up a deal with cafepress or some other print on demand site to merge your systems? You can't do the figurines this way, I suppose, but there's no reason you have to do any work yourself just to sell t-shirts and posters.

BBS Signature
KingDavid
KingDavid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Animator
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 19:47:55 Reply

Woah, I did not expect to see that for the important news... = c
Altho i never really bought anything im still saddened but i trust in Tom!
Long live NG

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 19:53:07 Reply

It's a real shame. I remember buying a Penicorn a few years back (on an old account) and it's a shame there's not a lot of new funny jokes like that that can make sales. I'm worried how this will impact Newgrounds to be honest, I know that the site needs to move forward, but selling things like Artist DVDs and CDs always made it feel like a bit of an extended home.

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:05:08 Reply

Is there a way i can sell my Store Credits for real money to you guys? xD
If there is i would sell my 70 SC for 15 paypal dollars

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Masterdjghost
Masterdjghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:12:12 Reply

At 9/25/13 02:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: This past year I've had a growing resolve to end the sale of physical goods in the NG store. This will likely happen in early 2014 so if you've ever wanted to buy a Tankman or one of the remaining shirts, this would be a good time to do so!

Shut your mouth, Fulp

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:16:59 Reply

At 9/25/13 07:45 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 9/25/13 05:53 PM, BlueSpectrum wrote: I would buy bought tons of things from the store if it accepted paypal...
Same here. THAT I'd be able to use for payment since I can at least find the card things to put money on my PayPal account. I can't find any of those disposable credit cards (since I don't have an actual credit card) or whatever the hell they're called. And trust me. I've looked.

I sent money from paypal to payments@newgrounds.com with my username in the comments, mentioned it to tom, and then money.

just ask around and you'll get an answer
KameStudios
KameStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:18:39 Reply

Although its a saddening topic, your heart is in the right place pushing things that just dont work for the site, and enhancing the things that do. making more lively content for the site is a great thing in my mind. after all this is a site all about the creative content creation so big respect making this decision.

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:27:43 Reply

I don't know about this Tom I mean the store was one of your sources of Income yes?

I have a penis

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:43:39 Reply

Actually, what does this mean for all the people who have store credit/what about future contests where you used to give store credit out?

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:45:33 Reply

I guess I should spend that store credit I have :)

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
Tyler
Tyler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:49:08 Reply

I always thought owning one penicorn wasn't enough. What good incentive

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:49:23 Reply

I hope this is cause of the cd i ordered last week.. without the store what will Josh do now?

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 20:55:47 Reply

Damn. Well, there goes my dream of owning an enormous herd of Penicorns.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 21:28:01 Reply

At 9/25/13 08:16 PM, MSGhero wrote: I sent money from paypal to payments@newgrounds.com with my username in the comments, mentioned it to tom, and then money.
just ask around and you'll get an answer

Oh. I didn't know you could do that ._.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 23:15:42 Reply

At 9/25/13 03:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: The accumulation of features has been a growing weight, which is why doing things like eliminating the store and some of the event days can ultimately be good, if we can spend our hours on new things instead of maintaining old things that people aren't really that interested in anymore.

The publishing angle has been tempting but I've always felt awkward about it because I like to find ways to help people make and publish things on their own, without giving a chunk to a publisher. There are still lots of useful publishers doing useful things for devsm but it's nice for a dev to be able to make it without one and truly be in control of their destiny.

Alternatively I do wonder about the on-line game sales angle, because I talk to devs with great games that aren't on Steam. I imagine as soon as we address something like that, so will Steam, and when you look at stuff like today's announcement of the steambox beta, you know you're up against something pretty damn awesome and hard to compete with.

Historically, NG's biggest gains in traffic were always a result of game releases, and all of those games (Castle Crashers, Hominid, Meat Boy, Isaac, etc) were major hits on basically every platform they were released on. That said, the NG developer base has proven that they're competent enough to consistently produce the kind of quality content that has been so beneficial to us. Steam is moving forward at an incredible pace and Xbox and Playstation are both massively expanding their indie game libraries for the next generation, so if there was ever a time to get back in the game, it's now.

I'm not saying the devs need to be rushed to shit out a title that can be marketed, just that you (the staff) acknowledge that those big titles are really Newground's lifeblood at this point, and now is the time to start considering some new releases if we want NG to move forward as a community.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
Viktor
Viktor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Important Store News 2013-09-25 23:25:13 Reply

Maybe you could still include some merh for higher donations, like a mystery box for say, 3$0 instead of $15?