TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:25 PM Reply

This past year I've had a growing resolve to end the sale of physical goods in the NG store. This will likely happen in early 2014 so if you've ever wanted to buy a Tankman or one of the remaining shirts, this would be a good time to do so!

You can also buy the just-released Clabtrap 2012 Compilation CD!

The staff is smaller than it used to be and shipping orders / providing customer service is a daily time-drain. We'll continue to use the store for digital purchases such as the Supporter Upgrade but the "store" button will likely be removed from the navbar and instead we'll promote the Supporter Upgrade near ads.

When the time comes to update the navbar, we may also remove the "Channels" button, instead promoting channels and series pages within the individual content hubs for games, movies, audio and art. That will bring our navbar down to five items, making things just a little less complicated looking when you glance at the site.

I ultimately want to remove the rollover dropdown menus from the navbar but we need to work out a few more things to be sure no pages get lost in the shuffle.

It's hard to put a positive spin on the store closing down but we have a lot of great stuff coming and simplifications to the site will help us spend time on the things we want to be focused on. But yeah, sorry for the downer.

In other news, thank you everyone who participated in Madness Day this year! Winners are coming up next.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:33 PM Reply

We'll still be able to display our past purchases, though, right?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Metallica1136
Metallica1136
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 02:27 PM, Amaranthus wrote: no store?
but
but
but
I only bought shit once but I'm still sad about this.

Same. :( I don't have any Newgrounds merch, but I'd like to buy some someday

Searching for the answers. There's a universe inside us all. Every passing lifetime. Important as the last.

TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:43 PM Reply

It sounds like there's trouble afoot.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Good thing I already have a Tankman/Barbarian/Tank Keychain/Mershaq Poster.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:45 PM Reply

Can you hold off on this til I'm able to find a way to get a shirt?
I've always wanted a Newgrounds shirt....

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:54 PM Reply

So no more mystery boxes :(

II II lI

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 02:54 PM, ForNoReason wrote: So no more mystery boxes :(

Maybe they'll ship out the last bit of stuff with the downsize?
I'd love to get my hands on another mystery box, especially if it's one of the last ones they'll ship.

GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:04 PM Reply

Looks like it's finally time to pull the trigger on a NG shirt. I've only been putting it off for like... 10 years.

LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:07 PM Reply

Yeah, this is really disappointing. I liked the drop down items in the nav menu too, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
kkots
kkots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:10 PM Reply

I've never had any idea about where Newgrounds gets money from in order to keep running. It turns out it had infinite money at first, and now it's slowly coming to 0, and there should be a way to somehow slow it down.

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:19 PM Reply

I have a soft spot for NG. and it's sad to see things are going this way. Honestly, NG just hasn't been able to compete in a competitive space. Other competing sites have either been acquired, or have moved onto other areas of business like publishing. It's complicated, but I feel like NG doesn't really know what it is anymore. There is too much holding onto days gone by rather than trying to innovate or do something new and different. A lot of people that jive with these old things like Pico day or Madness day are grown up or gone. I'm skeptical that this stuff brings any decent traffic. Just adding support for HTML5 games, and videos won't cut it either I don't think. That's just my personal perspective from the outside looking in. Obviously the NG team works hard, and I am just a bystander that doesn't have a great grasp of the situation. So, ignore me. Regardless, I'll still always be lurking in the flash forums. :)

BBS Signature
lonewolfgame
lonewolfgame
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:21 PM Reply

Another thing you can do is just have an outside provider do all the goods like Cafepress or Spreadshirt and just have those cover it for you. Better to see the focus be on games and the site instead of the merchandising!

BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 03:10 PM, kkots wrote: I've never had any idea about where Newgrounds gets money from in order to keep running. It turns out it had infinite money at first, and now it's slowly coming to 0, and there should be a way to somehow slow it down.

what the hell are you talking about

I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 02:33 PM, ZJ wrote: We'll still be able to display our past purchases, though, right?

Yeah that will still exist.

BBS Signature
Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:26 PM Reply

Really sad that the store is leaving us, I loved it, I bought quite a few products on it, want to get more, just cash is extremely tight. Understandable that it has to be dropped right now, I hope someday it makes a return though, love buying and supporting artists here at NG.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 03:19 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I have a soft spot for NG. and it's sad to see things are going this way. Honestly, NG just hasn't been able to compete in a competitive space. Other competing sites have either been acquired, or have moved onto other areas of business like publishing. It's complicated, but I feel like NG doesn't really know what it is anymore. There is too much holding onto days gone by rather than trying to innovate or do something new and different. A lot of people that jive with these old things like Pico day or Madness day are grown up or gone. I'm skeptical that this stuff brings any decent traffic. Just adding support for HTML5 games, and videos won't cut it either I don't think. That's just my personal perspective from the outside looking in. Obviously the NG team works hard, and I am just a bystander that doesn't have a great grasp of the situation. So, ignore me. Regardless, I'll still always be lurking in the flash forums. :)

The accumulation of features has been a growing weight, which is why doing things like eliminating the store and some of the event days can ultimately be good, if we can spend our hours on new things instead of maintaining old things that people aren't really that interested in anymore.

The publishing angle has been tempting but I've always felt awkward about it because I like to find ways to help people make and publish things on their own, without giving a chunk to a publisher. There are still lots of useful publishers doing useful things for devsm but it's nice for a dev to be able to make it without one and truly be in control of their destiny.

Alternatively I do wonder about the on-line game sales angle, because I talk to devs with great games that aren't on Steam. I imagine as soon as we address something like that, so will Steam, and when you look at stuff like today's announcement of the steambox beta, you know you're up against something pretty damn awesome and hard to compete with.

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:44 PM Reply

Are you guys gonna restock any of your store items before you close it down? I'd really like a NG Tank Logo Keychain to go with my action figure and T-Shirt.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 03:44 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 03:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: Alternatively I do wonder about the on-line game sales angle, because I talk to devs with great games that aren't on Steam. I imagine as soon as we address something like that, so will Steam, and when you look at stuff like today's announcement of the steambox beta, you know you're up against something pretty damn awesome and hard to compete with.

If you mean publishers buying the rights to games, chris from fgl might have suggestions on how to get that going, or perhaps join forces. If you mean in-app purchases with some kind of ng ca$h, that would be...different.

I was on the fence about buying some ng merch, so I guess there's my answer. Can I use my ng revenue sitting around to buy stuff, or is that off-limits until I get to whatever the threshold is?

KaDoYuu
KaDoYuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Animator
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:00 PM Reply

Well.. this is kind of a downer. I couldn't choose between a shirt or another supporter badge for 2013 until now, though. The leftover merch: would you be saving those as consolation prizes for something or just giving them away?

In any case, I'm sure you guys know what you're doing. I'm not too worried.

"Trolls are people who long ago gave up the will to live worthwhile lives, and now dedicate themselves to tormenting others, in attempts to drag victims down to their level."

Timmy
Timmy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:05 PM Reply

Any chance of bringing back the british flag NG logo shirts for one last hurrah?

Also Gagsy is going to save so much money now.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Honry
Honry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 02:25 PM, TomFulp wrote:

;stuff

Tom pls

BBS Signature
BigRed
BigRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:10 PM Reply

YOU HEARD IT LADIES AND GENTS! STEP RIGHT UP, ONE TIME ONLY, CLOSING SALE! BUY BUY BUY! PUT YOUR MONEY INTO YOUR COMPUTER FOR A GOOD TIME!

Thanks for getting the Clabtrap album in there Tom! The store has really been helpful, I would not have been able to distribute these without it. I will be sad to see it go, but if it's a time-sucking-hole I understand. Godspeed!

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:14 PM Reply

Dammit, you guys have been out of keychains since May!? I'll definitely get something.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:16 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 04:00 PM, KaDoYuu wrote: Well.. this is kind of a downer. I couldn't choose between a shirt or another supporter badge for 2013 until now, though. The leftover merch: would you be saving those as consolation prizes for something or just giving them away?

We'll find fun stuff to do with the leftover merch over time.

BBS Signature
PirateCrab
PirateCrab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:16 PM Reply

DON'T YOU DARE CLOSE IT BEFORE I GET PAID

30th September kaithx

Gawd dammit sheesh
Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:23 PM Reply

Will you throw everything in the store at other online retailers like sharkrobot.com or something?

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Grammar-Nazi
Grammar-Nazi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:28 PM Reply

I've been contemplating getting the Tankmwn figurine for years, guess I finally have a good reason to get it.

BBS Signature
Golden-Chicken
Golden-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Animator
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:28 PM Reply

Thats some bad news man......

I have always wanted to buy a Tank man figure, and now is my only chance.
It's feels kinda weird seeing the store go, but i guess it makes sense to remove it. Most people have already purchased the merchandise they want. (Except me of course XD.)
So what's the point in even having it.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Important Store News Sep. 25th, 2013 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 9/25/13 03:10 PM, kkots wrote: I've never had any idea about where Newgrounds gets money from in order to keep running. It turns out it had infinite money at first, and now it's slowly coming to 0, and there should be a way to somehow slow it down.

Important Store News

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature