00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?)

692 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-23 22:09:22

Hi everyone!

So I've been drawing for.. well, years now. I got into it when I was still in elementary school and have been working ever since. I'm 20 now and I feel as though I've finally come up with a style that I like. So I'd like to share some things with you guys that I would like feedback on.

I'm still learning, but if you guys could give me some critique I'd really appreciate it!

I'm going to start with some of my older things to sort of show how I've progressed (if that's okay) and then I'll be adding my newer works as time goes on.

So here we go! In order from oldest to most recent:

[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X]

Now as for what I am currently working on I have a work in progress shot. This is my first time digital painting in photoshop so I'm a little nervous. I'm trying the grayscale method.

Let me know what you think!

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-23 22:20:03

bleh, links are for loser...
be like us cool kids and post them all in their own post.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-23 22:30:45

At 9/23/13 10:20 PM, Kinsei wrote: bleh, links are for loser...

There were a lot lol so I wasn't sure if I should. I can, though. Those were mostly just older ones that I didn't necessarily want critique on, just to show how my style has changed.

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-23 22:33:55

At 9/23/13 10:30 PM, HollyCloak wrote:
At 9/23/13 10:20 PM, Kinsei wrote: bleh, links are for loser...
There were a lot lol so I wasn't sure if I should. I can, though. Those were mostly just older ones that I didn't necessarily want critique on, just to show how my style has changed.

Show it don't.. er...
I was trying to come up with something witty, but I guess I don't have that mastery over my own native language.
So less talk, and moar rock!

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-23 23:23:20

At 9/23/13 10:33 PM, Kinsei wrote: Show it don't.. er...

Show it, don't blow it. As in external links suck.

You're welcome Kinsei

Anyways, welcome to the wonderful world of Oz.... I mean the art forum.
This piece you've started the thread with ain't half bad, keep posting away!

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-23 23:50:10

Hey man, that's some good stuff you got there, I particularly like the "happy birthday" one.
You've got a pretty good grasp of anatomy it seems and your linework looks to bee pretty sharp overall nice work.
Only thing is there isn't too much variety in your links. Try stepping outside of dudettes, or if you have show those too. Looking forward to more from you.

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-24 00:34:14

At 9/23/13 11:50 PM, JackDGreatest wrote: Hey man, that's some good stuff you got there, I particularly like the "happy birthday" one.
You've got a pretty good grasp of anatomy it seems and your linework looks to bee pretty sharp overall nice work.
Only thing is there isn't too much variety in your links. Try stepping outside of dudettes, or if you have show those too. Looking forward to more from you.

I have done one male drawing, but I still am very limited in my knowledge of male anatomy lol so I do sketch men, but I don't tend to show them.

And sorry about the links! I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I can re post them sometime soon if that would be preferable.

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-24 10:00:07

At 9/24/13 12:34 AM, HollyCloak wrote:
At 9/23/13 11:50 PM, JackDGreatest wrote: Hey man, that's some good stuff you got there, I particularly like the "happy birthday" one.
I have done one male drawing, but I still am very limited in my knowledge of male anatomy lol so I do sketch men, but I don't tend to show them.

And sorry about the links! I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I can re post them sometime soon if that would be preferable.

Great job here, I do want to say one thing though. I'm sure if you try, you'll notice that it is impossible to turn your head at that degree ;)

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-24 15:57:50

At 9/24/13 10:00 AM, AntonOxenuk wrote: Great job here, I do want to say one thing though. I'm sure if you try, you'll notice that it is impossible to turn your head at that degree ;)

he is obviously not human, he has horns and what looks like wings, for all you know he could have the neck of an owl O.o

Because some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn -Alfred

BBS Signature

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-24 20:17:58

Looking over the shoulder is a romantic approach in making a portrait. Though it's tough to do for those who do not know the restrictions of the human figure.
It's understandable of what we're looking at isn't human, but deeper explanation of how something functions is usually reserved for concept art. Since this character is represented in a promotional way it has to be accessible for the general viewer.

I titled the head slightly and adjusted the face to be more towards the side to help break up the overall stiffness.

The area where the that hair strand meets the jaw line is a tangent. The way the lines merge together there makes it difficult to understand what's what. At times tangents can be separated with coloring or shading.

The shoulder is the main problem area. It makes it appear that he is showing more of his backside than intended making his head turning look impossible.

Right now you have a good sense of what a finished product looks like but I advise you in finding a stronger process.

Response to HollyCloak's Art! (Critiques?) 2013-09-24 20:46:26

At 9/24/13 08:17 PM, Cairos wrote: Looking over the shoulder is a romantic approach in making a portrait. Though it's tough to do for those who do not know the restrictions of the human figure.
It's understandable of what we're looking at isn't human, but deeper explanation of how something functions is usually reserved for concept art. Since this character is represented in a promotional way it has to be accessible for the general viewer.

I titled the head slightly and adjusted the face to be more towards the side to help break up the overall stiffness.

The area where the that hair strand meets the jaw line is a tangent. The way the lines merge together there makes it difficult to understand what's what. At times tangents can be separated with coloring or shading.

The shoulder is the main problem area. It makes it appear that he is showing more of his backside than intended making his head turning look impossible.

Right now you have a good sense of what a finished product looks like but I advise you in finding a stronger process.

In response to the not human thing: honestly this was a quick sketch and i had never drawn from this angle before, so it is simply an error on my part, lol.

Thank you so much for the pointers though. It actually really helped, I never knew that such slight changes would make that much of a difference, and I'll definitely keep it in mind for next time.

I am hoping to work some more on the work in progress I shared previously of the victorian woman soon, so hopefully I'll make a post with that in the next few days!

Thank you all for your comments/advice.