00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Snooze34 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Question about smooth lines

588 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Question about smooth lines 2013-09-17 21:25:28

Hello community,
i couple of days ago i started drawing as a regular hobby with the aim to get better and have some fun.
I just started using my wacom bamboo and getting familiar with Flash. (Don't ask why i like drawing in flash more then photoshop. Yes i know Flash is for animation)
Today i was drawing the hole time and noticed my linework dosent look that smooth. There are up's and down's etc.
I'm pretty sure this is normal for someone who just started drawing but i still want to ask you a few things:

When you started digital drawing, did you have the same "problem"? If yes, how long did it took to get some solid smooth lines? Did you just keep drawing or have you done some "specific" practice?

Current settings:
Smoothing: 50

Greetings
ShiiQ
Use Pressure: On

Question about smooth lines

Response to Question about smooth lines 2013-09-17 21:55:30

Well, you could turn off the pen pressure, if you're talking about the line thickness variation, I see it as a good thing though

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Question about smooth lines 2013-09-17 21:56:57

flash is pretty much dumb, when i draw in flash i end up cleaning the lines manually, undoing a lot and erasing bits in the process.

Personally, i dont use pressure in flash because it leaves me with thin and thick bits which i dont like

maybe flash isnt as good as photoshop and maybe it is for animation, but it is a decent program to make art

Response to Question about smooth lines 2013-09-17 22:32:58

At 9/17/13 09:25 PM, ShiiQ wrote: Current settings:
Smoothing: 50

My advice would be to either turn smoothing down very low, or even turn it off completely. Flash smoothing tends to create these weird ugly lines. It's better to rely on your own control of the tablet pen.

It takes a decent bit of practice to get your lines smooth on a tablet without the computer helping you, but I think it's worth it.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Question about smooth lines 2013-09-17 22:57:01

First of all. Thanks to all the response.

Currently im learning alot threw Jazza's youtube channel which is awesome and i allways see him drawing with smothing on 50 and his lines look awesome. So i thought i give it a try.

I will take your advices and will draw more tomorrow.
Greetings ShiiQ