New Topic Respond to this Topic
Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 11:46 AM Reply

I am totally blown away and moved that you are even considering doing this Bosa. This kind of selflessness is not common, and is absolutely staggering to experience.

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 9/11/13 05:59 PM, Bosa wrote:
At 9/11/13 05:48 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Where would you even get the money to do this?
I have enough funds set aside to support the audio community on Newgrounds.

Are you a billionaire? If so i need to live on 10 euros a week atm due to missed payments due to administration errors not from my end.

I will take any million you can spare and with it also become the mayor of a town, and i will sing.
And i will save a little orphan girl.

Im not kidding btw.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Whatever your decision, I respect it. Whatever it may be, I trust it'll be of good help to contestants.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: Coming soon!

BBS Signature
FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 08:19 PM Reply

Why would anyone ever want a music degree?

The paper is worthless; the education is available for free granted you're willing to study independently. Good music stands on it's own; a degree is completely moot.

A cash prize is the only thing that makes sense. Paying for a degree, you're just paying the college to stomp the innovation out of some poor "winner". Bollux to that.

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

midimachine
midimachine
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 9/14/13 08:19 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Why would anyone ever want a music degree?

The paper is worthless; the education is available for free granted you're willing to study independently. Good music stands on it's own; a degree is completely moot.

A cash prize is the only thing that makes sense. Paying for a degree, you're just paying the college to stomp the innovation out of some poor "winner". Bollux to that.

yeah pretty much this, at least when it comes to technical/production degrees

on the other hand, my girlfriend is doing a music degree (flute, piccolo & composition). she's far more creative and musically open-minded compared to when she started, plus she's made lots and lots of contacts and had lots of awesome performance opportunities. although how much of that can be attributed to the degree itself is questionable (note to self: never ever ever tell her this).

p.s. i am gay

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 9/14/13 08:19 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Why would anyone ever want a music degree?

The paper SHOULD be worthless in my opinion, but it isn't. Having a shiny music degree to show when being hired for jobs will distinguish you from anyone, regardless of your music. I visit freelancing sites and try and offer my services for paying music jobs, but I'm never chosen because I'm an 18-year-old musician with a home PC, consumer sound system, and no music education (apart from piano lessons). Then, some other person with qualifications and experience is chosen over me, and sometimes I go to listen to their work and to me it's often just uninspired, generic crap that only sounds decently-produced.

I agree with you, an artist's art should speak for itself, but that's not how it works in the real world unfortunately. In any case, music education can only serve to improve if you take it the right way. What's a better way to improve than learn about what you're trying to improve in? And you can still be innovative, music education or not. As is the case with a lot of things, the secret behind music education is that you must first learn the rules, and then you can break them.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 9/14/13 08:32 PM, Step wrote: As is the case with a lot of things, the secret behind music education is that you must first learn the rules, and then you can break them.

I agree. Though, I think it's unfortunate that the more accessible music-making becomes, the less a formal education is required. So, I think nowadays a degree has mainly turned into a solid representation of a serious attitude and a passionate commitment.

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 07:55 AM Reply

At 9/14/13 09:29 PM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 9/14/13 08:32 PM, Step wrote: As is the case with a lot of things, the secret behind music education is that you must first learn the rules, and then you can break them.
I agree. Though, I think it's unfortunate that the more accessible music-making becomes, the less a formal education is required. So, I think nowadays a degree has mainly turned into a solid representation of a serious attitude and a passionate commitment.

i think it represents not commitment but conditioning. Afterall you create a set space around you, its not like you cannot commit to music without being enclosed in a music society but its a direction.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

DamienFleisch
DamienFleisch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 09:05 AM Reply

At 9/15/13 07:55 AM, Calamaistr wrote:
i think it represents not commitment but conditioning. Afterall you create a set space around you, its not like you cannot commit to music without being enclosed in a music society but its a direction.

Unfortunately, clients don't judge based on the quality of your music and instead on how professional you LOOK. Things like having a degree, a website, testimonials, and a full fledged studio. None of those mean you are a good musician, they just make you look like one.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:34 AM Reply

Hmm... I wouldn't say "the less formal education is needed"... back in the 1800's you would generally attach yourself to a great composer/pianist/musician/whatever and study with them- nothing too formal. Nowadays anyone can fork out $400 for a DAW and call themselves a producer/composer, but that doesn't mean they are one. If you want to get good and win dem ladiez you need to either do the above and study with a serious and far more advanced composer/producer than you are (or watch ALL the youtube things!) or go to a school that hopefully has active, inspired, and qualified teachers. I do totally agree that a music degree is more a sign of commitment and deep interest in music, though. You can self train all you want, but when you fork over a small fortune to get a piece of paper with your name on it, it shows you'll go to whatever end to pursue music and I think that says a lot about the person who does it. Having something like that, as said earlier, is a good tool to get work. You also will most likely make some friends and contacts while at school, which can mean anything from putting together a band to getting some gigs.

While we can all discuss the merits of self-education vs. formal schooling all day ad nauseam, I think what Bosa is more trying to say is "I made it up the ladder, now who wants a hand getting out too?" There are so many extremely talented people here and I think Bosa's cause is not simply "you should go to college!" and rather more like "there is a world out there and I want to share it with you." These things- higher education/study (either alone or with help), turning your closet into a studio, changing your name to "August Rush", buying expensive VSTi's so you can sound like da big kidz- they are steps up the ladder, not necessarily towards knowledge, but certainly towards work, and at least for me, getting closer to work is a great thing.

That's just my two copper-coated coins. ;)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:43 AM Reply

At 9/15/13 09:05 AM, DamienFleisch wrote: Unfortunately, clients don't judge based on the quality of your music and instead on how professional you LOOK. Things like having a degree, a website, testimonials, and a full fledged studio. None of those mean you are a good musician, they just make you look like one.

My clients never asked for credentials, and i have some pretty good clients.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 02:21 PM Reply

The best thing an artist can do to build their credentials is live shows. Playing with professional and semi professional regional and national acts on a regular basis quickly shows you where the standard is. In recorded music, it's so much easier to use way too much time in your production. In live shows, there are limitations that can only be overcome by talent.

You have to sell a live show. I can't stress this enough. People will pay for the same song over and over again at a live show; you only get paid once for recorded music, if at all.

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 03:40 PM Reply

Wow Bosa. Um, this sounds like it would be a great help to some who do wish to study music on a much deeper level.

I myself want to double major in Music Theory and Composition when I get out of high school, and even if the winner of the contest does choose the tuition route, i still think it'd be a bit much. I would prefer the cash prize simply to upgrade my set-up and start sounding more professional, which i've wanted to do for a good while now. I won't have a degree in my hands, or even be in that range for at least another 2 years, so I don't want to just take the education route and horde it all to myself until then, unless you would allow that.

Just my 2 cents on this idea.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
biggeridiot
biggeridiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 9/11/13 01:02 AM, Bosa wrote: Despite the fact that I am nothing -- a nobody and completely incompetent in music; I will be hosting a new contest in the near future. I want to reward the winner of the contest by paying their tuition for the musical college of their choice. Getting to know some of you on a personal level has truly inspired me, and it has proven to me that potential untapped due to economical restraints is simply unacceptable. I do this simply because I want to support you and help you succeed in reaching your musical goals.

However, I would just like to get your quick opinion. Would you all prefer a cash prize over a paid tuition? I've thought about it, and a large percentage of users here are teens who are seeking to pursue a degree that is not in music. Call me out if I sound like a complete fool, but what do you all believe is a better prize for a contest here?

Degrees or paper

You may want to think about how to make this tax-deductible at your end...I suspect few people on here are bonafide charities
And hey, what music programs/schools would you really recommend? Just curious...

subbbace
subbbace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 08:37 PM Reply

well if this is true.best would to start a website and promote your idea and get some press that explains everything,find real artists known or relevant that will support your campaign .and award the person in check with the small contract saying you gave this money for what ever reason and has to be for that reason only and im sure youll find people.but i wish more people would do this for there local artists instead of out sourcing online to someone you barley know.. dont get me wrong what your doing is great but.theres probably someone in your community that probably needs this just as much.it helps build your community because maybe they will do the same when there in the same position you are in the future. i wish we had more people like you around my parts.. good luck

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:28 PM Reply

Well, you all are right. I think I'll scrap the degree idea because it seems there is more weight against it than in support of it. I did like a suggestion somebody made about buying you an upgrade or VSTi program. I think that would be a cool reward, although certain programs are only useful to certain artists.

I don't think Hollywood Brass would favor a dubstep artist.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
subbbace
subbbace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 9/15/13 10:28 PM, Bosa wrote: Well, you all are right. I think I'll scrap the degree idea because it seems there is more weight against it than in support of it. I did like a suggestion somebody made about buying you an upgrade or VSTi program. I think that would be a cool reward, although certain programs are only useful to certain artists.

heres a good dubstep / drumstep /drumnbass artist http://dstructo.blogspot.ca

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 9/15/13 10:31 PM, subbbace wrote: heres a good dubstep / drumstep /drumnbass artist http://dstructo.blogspot.ca

Are you even listening to what the heck he's even talking about?

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 9/15/13 10:31 PM, subbbace wrote:
At 9/15/13 10:28 PM, Bosa wrote: Well, you all are right. I think I'll scrap the degree idea because it seems there is more weight against it than in support of it. I did like a suggestion somebody made about buying you an upgrade or VSTi program. I think that would be a cool reward, although certain programs are only useful to certain artists.

heres a good dubstep / drumstep /drumnbass artist http://dstructo.blogspot.ca

Actually, no, just realized you've self-promoted yourself once again with no real motive. Please refrain from doing that or piss off.

subbbace
subbbace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:43 PM Reply

Actually, no, just realized you've self-promoted yourself once again with no real motive. Please refrain from doing that or piss off.

wow ive got a follower

are you following me? sir

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 9/15/13 10:31 PM, subbbace wrote: heres a good dubstep / drumstep /drumnbass artist http://dstructo.blogspot.ca

To put it in a nicer way lol ... Read the Audio Forum Rules or post your advertisements in the Audio Advertisements Thread

BBS Signature
subbbace
subbbace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 9/15/13 10:47 PM, Bosa wrote:
To put it in a nicer way lol ... Read the Audio Forum Rules or post your advertisements in the Audio Advertisements Thread

thanks ..allot of assholes on this site..your cool :)

subbbace
subbbace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 11:29 PM Reply

and just to reply to this better, you know what would be even cooler a native instruments komplete 9 ultimate prize.. that would def get people on board or a choice for a year account on adobe creative cloud :)

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 11:54 PM Reply

Well it's not weight against it, rather weight against the practicality of the idea in it's execution. There sure is nothing wrong with buying someone a nice VST they've been watching for a while or that upgrade that seems too steep for their budget at the time though. Still participating regardless of the prize.

of course it can...you can drop the Basses.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 16th, 2013 @ 12:36 PM Reply

Again, set some price limits and make multiple selections so that it appeases a larger group of people to compete.

- Cash Prize
- Tuition Prize
- Software Prize
- Hardware Prize

Set the cash prize the lowest, reward an extra few hundred towards the definitively musical awards (tuition, software, hardware).

Apilot
Apilot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 17th, 2013 @ 12:07 AM Reply

Degree, 100,000 times degree

SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 17th, 2013 @ 05:03 AM Reply

I dont care about any rewards - but i always like challenges :D Please tell me when it starts! Ready for action :D

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 17th, 2013 @ 10:46 AM Reply

I'm game for any/all of the above suggestions.

Do what ya can bosa, you're an insane asset to this site.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 18th, 2013 @ 02:53 AM Reply

At 9/17/13 10:46 AM, jpbear wrote: I'm game for any/all of the above suggestions.

Thank you, sir. I'm going to begin choosing my 'jurors' for the contest soon. I promise not to leave you all dry with the prize.

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Degree in Music Sep. 18th, 2013 @ 07:31 AM Reply

At 9/18/13 02:53 AM, Bosa wrote:
At 9/17/13 10:46 AM, jpbear wrote: I'm game for any/all of the above suggestions.

Thank you, sir. I'm going to begin choosing my 'jurors' for the contest soon. I promise not to leave you all dry with the prize.

i wish everyone good luck, if i had any energy i might have actually joined in on it. but i dont see myself ever getting out of the hell i live in.