New Topic Respond to this Topic
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 18:42:35 Reply

i'd rather die than do a music degree, just saying.

p.s. i am gay

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 19:34:15 Reply

At 9/11/13 06:42 PM, midimachine wrote: i'd rather die than do a music degree, just saying.

Mind developing on that thought? I'm curious to see what you have to say on the matter.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 20:06:48 Reply

In all honesty, I'd rather have a day job that can pay for new equipment for my music and play and enjoy music all night long until the next day.

Music jobs don't pay as much.

lel

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 20:22:26 Reply

So for my 5 years at Berklee;
Two majors, and a minor, you'll cover that?

Last semester here and the last 3 years was all out of pocket, scholarships, financial aid and only 2 years paid by loans I think that actually might be reasonable. Otherwise a full tuition without financial aid or scholarships will cost you an arm and a leg at any college focused on music.

Maybe you can pay for my Master's Degree if I decide to do so...

But really, that's really nice of you Bosa, I was thinking of doing something similar for a film scoring contest. I think The tuition thing might be a bit of a stretch, I'm sure some would go for it but there aren't many people I think trying to pursue music in college. The majority of your contestants might protest for a cash prize or something...

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 22:53:24 Reply

How about some sort of cash reward for an annual contest with the stipulation it should be spent on things related to education or music?

I think tuition is a bit too much for any single person to pay, especially for a SINGLE person. I think it'd be best to figure out via contest or your own experience who you think are the most promising musicians on NG (or perhaps a nomination thing) and offer them a few hundred bucks/"The Jon Babb Award" each year. Pick like 2-3 people a year and make it some big ceremony. That way you'll reach and help far more people than you would just by throwing a tuition check at a single person. Also accept donations towards the award or something too and add on any yearly donations to the award that year (so if you give $500 to each person by default and $500 is donated, each person gets $750 if there are two).

I dunno, just putting out ideas. I definitely think a SINGLE person getting it would be far less meaningful and helpful than a bunch of people getting it. Just my thoughts. We have a lot of people with unique and non-musical backgrounds who are nevertheless very talented and do music more as a hobby or a side job, but still deserve a reward for their hard work.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 23:01:56 Reply

At 9/11/13 10:53 PM, samulis wrote: How about some sort of cash reward for an annual contest with the stipulation it should be spent on things related to education or music?

...annual contest? We could partner up~

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 23:03:34 Reply

At 9/11/13 10:53 PM, samulis wrote: How about some sort of cash reward for an annual contest with the stipulation it should be spent on things related to education or music?

---More on this, I was considering giving sample libraries like stuff from EWQL or 8dio as prizes, I think that would be on track to what you want to do with this next contest

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 23:11:32 Reply

I like these variant ideas.

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-11 23:16:44 Reply

At 9/11/13 11:03 PM, deadlyfishes wrote:
---More on this, I was considering giving sample libraries like stuff from EWQL or 8dio as prizes, I think that would be on track to what you want to do with this next contest

Or maybe even offer a special custom VSTi from one of the developers out there. I'd be willing to work with Jon and make a special top-secret VSTi for the winrar- something really sweet like some weird ethnic instrument or something. :)

BBS Signature
InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 00:55:57 Reply

At 9/11/13 01:02 AM, Bosa wrote: However, I would just like to get your quick opinion. Would you all prefer a cash prize over a paid tuition? I've thought about it, and a large percentage of users here are teens who are seeking to pursue a degree that is not in music. Call me out if I sound like a complete fool, but what do you all believe is a better prize for a contest here?

Degrees or paper

Lot of people are discussing their own goals/fantasies and perspectives on degrees rather then directly addressing your question.

I think there are pulls for paper, or a covered tuition but certainly issues as well.

-Tuition-
---Pros- --
--Education for someone, could set them up for life, this is really really a huge Pro
--Will rally a lot of activity and foster creation within a contest
---Cons---
--The cost variance is massive
--Difficult to tell if the individual is actually attending or spending it on your altruistic intention
--Puts them in a debt to succeed in school. Of course they ideally should, but it could be a point of contention for them and you morally. If they drop, what do you do? Do they fight with guilt? Etc
--Very eggs in one baskety, high potential pay off, but splitting up same value may benefit more people in a less severe way
--We don't normally have $$$ prizes here, it could cause aggressive competition pending on how much of a sum you choose to put up.

-Money-
---Pros---
--Set number
--Person can spend it on w/e
--More easily divided, potentially more smaller prizes to help out more people realize their shorter term goals
--Still will spur up activity among NG

--Cons--
I'm having a tough time here. The only con really is its money from your "pocket" which you make sound more like a vault. So that ones on you.

Personally if you were going to drop 60k on someone, it seems foolish. If you've never done something like this, I think it would be wise to start smaller... Make sure you're content with it yourself.

BBS Signature
etherealwinds
etherealwinds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 07:32:39 Reply

At 9/11/13 02:17 PM, Bspendlove wrote: 1 quick question...

I have been having some trouble with college lately and I dropped out doing a B-tech lvl 3 in Music performance because the teachers are complete twats. I went there with a old music teacher and he ended up having a major discussion about there music department and how they teach....

I know what the English education system can be like sometimes ugh, it can be completely absurd. I wish you the best of luck though!

BBS Signature
etherealwinds
etherealwinds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 07:35:19 Reply

At 9/11/13 11:16 PM, samulis wrote:
Or maybe even offer a special custom VSTi from one of the developers out there. I'd be willing to work with Jon and make a special top-secret VSTi for the winrar- something really sweet like some weird ethnic instrument or something. :)

Weird ethnic instrument you say? >: )

BBS Signature
Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 08:21:49 Reply

At 9/11/13 01:02 AM, Bosa wrote: Despite the fact that I am nothing -- a nobody and completely incompetent in music /snip

I generally don't get what's up with the amount of self loathing that goes on with some musicians within these forums who don't give themselves enough credit. I'm listening to your piece "Bound" while I type this and I can say that I really enjoy it without a shred of bias. Whatever makes you believe that your music isn't good, you need to stop that.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

SmithBA
SmithBA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 08:58:16 Reply

At 9/11/13 11:03 PM, deadlyfishes wrote: ---More on this, I was considering giving sample libraries like stuff from EWQL or 8dio as prizes, I think that would be on track to what you want to do with this next contest

This is a great idea.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 09:04:07 Reply

At 9/12/13 08:21 AM, Convey wrote: I generally don't get what's up with the amount of self loathing that goes on with some musicians within these forums

There's good reason to be self critical, it keeps you always on the hunt to furthering your own development. When Hans Zimmer was asked what his favorite composition was he replied "I haven't written it yet."

Gotta stay on your toes man and always look for a way to improve. I used to run competitively and the internal thoughts you go through in a race are very similar, telling yourself you arent any good motivates to passionately move forward.

There's an optimistic version of that same idea, but to each their own.

CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 09:36:57 Reply

"---More on this, I was considering giving sample libraries like stuff from EWQL or 8dio as prizes, I think that would be on track to what you want to do with this next contest..."

This would actually be pretty awesome. It could help further many talented musicians that just don't have the funds, and the reward would definitely go toward musical interests. No worries on the winner if they have to drop their chance at education or on the awarder on if the money is going toward music. It'd also be easy to clearly divide costs.

EG: Winner gets $x,xxx VST value
2nd place gets $xxx VST value
3rd place gets $xxx VST value

etc.

Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 10:23:07 Reply

At 9/12/13 09:04 AM, Breed wrote:
At 9/12/13 08:21 AM, Convey wrote: I generally don't get what's up with the amount of self loathing that goes on with some musicians within these forums
There's good reason to be self critical, it keeps you always on the hunt to furthering your own development. When Hans Zimmer was asked what his favorite composition was he replied "I haven't written it yet."

Gotta stay on your toes man and always look for a way to improve. I used to run competitively and the internal thoughts you go through in a race are very similar, telling yourself you arent any good motivates to passionately move forward.

There's an optimistic version of that same idea, but to each their own.

I totally get what you're saying as I'm just starting out and I kind of hate pretty much everything I do so far. However, his music is, in my opinion, quite good. The melody is there, it has emotion in it, and it stays stuck in your head. Then he just comes onto the forums and bashes himself for reasons I don't even understand. :U I don't know, I just fail to understand people sometimes.

I wish him well with this contest though and hopes whatever he's going through that makes him believe he sucks passes. I hate seeing people with talent just bash themselves like that so openly.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

sculpted-cold
sculpted-cold
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 10:34:01 Reply

I'm tired of living paycheck to paycheck and not being able to finish my sound engineering degree. Count me in.

EP2 out now! Download it for free :).

soundcloud | newgrounds

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 11:38:03 Reply

Universities are overrated. I am hardly finishing my bachelors. I'd probably choose based on location on earth and percentage of chicks studying that subject (why didn't I do it before).

I'd be more intersted in prize such as you get to live in bosas basement for 6 months and you can eat food out of his fridge and he teaches you music stuff in the evenings. Having sex is not obligatory. But I guess it's just too crazy

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 19:01:02 Reply

At 9/12/13 11:38 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: Universities are overrated. I am hardly finishing my bachelors. I'd probably choose based on location on earth and percentage of chicks studying that subject (why didn't I do it before).

2nd year psych student here, literally 95% of the other students still in the course are girls aged 18-25. good times!

p.s. i am gay

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 20:27:38 Reply

At 9/12/13 07:01 PM, midimachine wrote: 2nd year psych student here, literally 95% of the other students still in the course are girls aged 18-25. good times!

i bet 95% of those girls are absolutely mental hahahaha

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 20:53:22 Reply

At 9/12/13 08:27 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 9/12/13 07:01 PM, midimachine wrote: 2nd year psych student here, literally 95% of the other students still in the course are girls aged 18-25. good times!
i bet 95% of those girls are absolutely mental hahahaha

speaking from experience? :v
for real though, that's pretty accurate

p.s. i am gay

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 20:59:46 Reply

At 9/12/13 08:53 PM, midimachine wrote: speaking from experience? :v
for real though, that's pretty accurate

i just did some quick back-of-the-napkin calculations based on the data you provided lol

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-12 23:13:23 Reply

Bosa you gotta be trolling, are you a closet millionaire?

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-13 00:48:35 Reply

At 9/12/13 11:13 PM, krssvr wrote: Bosa you gotta be trolling, are you a closet millionaire?

Not anymore, I think I heard a rumor about him spending his millions on a golden closet studded with blue diamonds.

He still has the closet though causing a sort of odd almost catch-22 situation.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-13 01:10:05 Reply

At 9/13/13 12:48 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 9/12/13 11:13 PM, krssvr wrote: Bosa you gotta be trolling, are you a closet millionaire?
Not anymore, I think I heard a rumor about him spending his millions on a golden closet studded with blue diamonds.

I didn't get to where I am today by trolling, no sir. I think my reputation speaks for itself and that we all can agree I'm legitimate.

Is Bosa for real? ... Well, did Garth Brooks end up singing the National Anthem in 1993? Facts are irrefutable.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
PoonPun
PoonPun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-13 08:59:58 Reply

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1j1RKrk75Fc
I'd like the cash please.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-13 10:33:23 Reply

At 9/12/13 10:23 AM, Convey wrote: Then he just comes onto the forums and bashes himself for reasons I don't even understand. :U I don't know, I just fail to understand people sometimes.

I wish him well with this contest though and hopes whatever he's going through that makes him believe he sucks passes. I hate seeing people with talent just bash themselves like that so openly.

As said earlier, it's a mechanism people have to keep their ego in check. I would rather we had one truly modest person like Bosa than ten thousand equally skilled but more arrogant/annoying composers. Bosa's modesty may seem extreme, but it is an inspiration to me at least to remember that we're still nothing but grains of sand in a landslide of an industry- I too try to remember that I am still a novice at best. Letting your ego and the words of your followers get to you is the worst thing that can happen short of giving up on music imho. I would like to see more people with talent bash themselves- it's a vital step in progress- identifying that you are not at the top yet.

As for the contest, I liked that "VST of certain value" idea per each tier. However, I think there are some people out there who may not use VST/Audio Units/etc (or already have the one that is the reward). so maybe have "vst of a certain value OR cash reward of that value". I think that's a great compromise that will be very effective. I definitely don't think a college degree is a smart idea- as said above, it's like "putting all your eggs in one basket."

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-13 14:23:46 Reply

At 9/13/13 10:33 AM, samulis wrote:
At 9/12/13 10:23 AM, Convey wrote: "vst of a certain value OR cash reward of that value".

Excellent idea. I think giving you all an option is a good idea. Why not get what you want, really! This is Newgrounds!

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Degree in Music 2013-09-13 14:32:27 Reply

Regardless of the outcome, this is a very generous contest Bosa. The world needs more people like you. :)

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature