New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 01:00 PM Reply

when the artist doesn't have the bass as the focus of the track?

Back in the 90s when it was all about uplifting trance, the flow was so damn good.

and I never realized why until now. It's because the bass was never the main focus.

Does anyone have any real explanation to this?

lel

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

I remember you once told me trance is actually dance genre.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 03:42 PM Reply

At 9/8/13 03:31 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I remember you once told me trance is actually dance genre.

what. I never said anything like that lol

lel

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 03:58 PM Reply

What 90s productions you're referring to

SUCK MY KICK

Omnivore
Omnivore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 08:20 PM Reply

Today, EDM is so heavily focused on deep ass bass yo that it's hard to find a dance song without it being focused on bass. Before then, trance music focused on poppy synths and catchy melodies that ranged far on the spectrum. Nowadays, making trance/house/tech is a contest to see who can make the best distorted triangle wave with sidechain. Is it necessarily bad? I don't think so, it's a matter of opinion. But yeah.

whoa man lower your mids

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 9/8/13 01:00 PM, Sequenced wrote: when the artist doesn't have the bass as the focus of the track?

Back in the 90s when it was all about uplifting trance, the flow was so damn good.

Suddenly, I understand why everyone calls what I make "classic" trance, because I never have an emphasis on the bass. Everything is about melodies and flow.

Even then, there's still modern uplifting trance that does this: Ronny K Pres Advanced - Atlantis (Simon O'Shine Remix)

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 12:30 AM Reply

At 9/8/13 09:53 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:

Even then, there's still modern uplifting trance that does this: Ronny K Pres Advanced - Atlantis (Simon O'Shine Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpTxZ5fGf2w

these type of tracks do it really well sometimes

lel

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 07:18 AM Reply

Quote from Sequenced

I will be IDLE everytime in the irc!

I saw you only one time...

SUCK MY KICK

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 07:18 AM Reply

A symptom of getting old is "the music in my time was better", with some explanation of it ("it was waltz, not just those noisy guitars" or "rock had some nice singing voices not just those growls"...).

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 9/8/13 03:42 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 9/8/13 03:31 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I remember you once told me trance is actually dance genre.

Trance is a subgenre of dance. Trance also has a lot of subgenres. Here's a chart map and another one with sound samples.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 12:01 PM Reply

Are you aware that Ishkur made that guide for fun, right?
The chart is ok but there are so many subgenres today that it became really ridicoulus classifying a song

SUCK MY KICK

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 9/9/13 12:01 PM, Lachi wrote: Are you aware that Ishkur made that guide for fun, right?
The chart is ok but there are so many subgenres today that it became really ridicoulus classifying a song

Yeah, but still. It's something at least. It has most of the estalished genres. There are lots more new genres that will most likely be forgotten, and will only make the charts more cluttered if included.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 9/9/13 11:56 AM, SourJovis wrote:
At 9/8/13 03:42 PM, Sequenced wrote:
Trance is a subgenre of dance.

no. Trance & Dance music are subgenres of Electronic music

Trance also has a lot of subgenres. Here's a chart map and another one with sound samples.

also, this guy confused jungle / ragga jungle. those genres came from Drum & Bass, not ambient lol

lel

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 9/9/13 02:00 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 9/9/13 11:56 AM, SourJovis wrote: Trance is a subgenre of dance.
no. Trance & Dance music are subgenres of Electronic music

Alright. Perhaps it depends on how you look at it. But what kind of trance isn't EDM? The way I see it every electronic kind of music that is made to dance to is dance. Most of the trance I've heard is made in a 4/4 meter with a kick every downbeat just like other dance subgenres, and is suitable to dance to. In my experience that's the most common way to look at it, that's why trance is placed under the category edm. But I've been too straight forward to claim it as a fact. I think the main problem is there's no universally accepted categorization. If there were we wouldn't have this discussion. Now there isn't you can talk about it as long as you want but everyone will see it differently anyway.

On an aside note. Should the genre electronic music be above dance? Or should there be a large genre dance that includes both EDM and non-electronic dance, like walzes, tango, can-can, bolero, 70s dance bands, ballet, etc? It's just different ways of looking at it.

also, this guy confused jungle / ragga jungle. those genres came from Drum & Bass, not ambient lol

Might be a mistake. With such a complicated chart there must be a couple. The drums in Jungle and ragga jungle sound more like break beat. But the pads and fx in Jungle sound a lot like ambient. ragga jungle has other influences like reggae or ska. Sometimes a subgenre draws influences from several different wider genres, so it's sometimes a subgenre can be put into several larger genres. Disagreements arise.

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 10th, 2013 @ 12:15 PM Reply

Oh man this totally brought me back >__<

Late 90s to early 00s trance was a big part of my music library back in the day on my WINAMP player on my super awesome Windows 98 PC. Also I was just starting to dabble in Fruity Loops v3

I'd say without some of that earlier trance I wouldn't have been introduced to some serious music production until much later in life.

Here are some of my favorite trance tracks from that time, I'm sure many of you have at least heard these at some point :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypDtUUtuNzQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qquXol9lGwQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlXgWnI5aQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vFEoUYpzkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K55xzCGZINA

Good thing I had about 70 minutes to use up on a CD-R back then with some room to spare ;D Too bad everytime I wanted to listen to trance while going for a jog it would take me about 1 minute longer to get through the song because the stupid CD player didn't have anti-skip protection.

More on point to what you were saying sequenced-- I think it's pretty subjective for anyone to say "blah blah blah was better back then" I mean some kid born 9 years ago will probably say the same thing later on in life. I do agree with you though :)

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 10th, 2013 @ 02:48 PM Reply

^ Robert Miles - Fable
Ah, strange you didn't post Children, that track made the dream progressive genre explodes in Italy
The father of that "genre" let's call it genre, is Roland Brant, check out Nuclear Sun (one of the first songs played in the locals with that M1 piano, dated NINETY THREE! 93!), Moon's Waterfalls and such hits (probably I'm the only one here to know them lol)

The others you posted are uplifting trance (Airwave for sure) and with more "mainstream" sounds (attention: mainstream doesn't mean worse), when trance was going out from the underground going for a bigger public. Enjoyable and nice songs for sure :D

I think it's pretty subjective for anyone to say "blah blah blah was better back then" I mean some kid born 9 years ago will probably say the same thing later on in life. I do agree with you though :)

Yes, everything is pretty subjective so we can just express ourselves ;)

SUCK MY KICK

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 10th, 2013 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 9/10/13 02:48 PM, Lachi wrote: ^ Robert Miles - Fable
Ah, strange you didn't post Children, that track made the dream progressive genre explodes in Italy
The father of that "genre" let's call it genre, is Roland Brant, check out Nuclear Sun (one of the first songs played in the locals with that M1 piano, dated NINETY THREE! 93!), Moon's Waterfalls and such hits (probably I'm the only one here to know them lol)

I like both, but Fable was one of the first tracks I heart from Robert Miles, and I am digging Nuclear Son :)

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 10th, 2013 @ 05:15 PM Reply

This is the problem with labels. You never really understand the true nature of a genre because most people want to pick it apart.

I think that art is freedom. Period. I think that trance music is a style/genre, but I wish it wasn't. Let me ask you this question: If labels weren't real, would you be asking this question?

On a grander scale I would have to say most people would say no. I think that music should just exist. Like the rain, or the sun. Some people like the sun, some people like the rain. I think that TYPE of NEW trance you are talking about likes to use the sidechain because it compresses around the bass note when it the gain in the sidechain pushed to its limits. I think the younger crowd likes to dance to it. It is just a trick, nothing more. The Chemical brothers did it, and they are still trance.

Is this trance, is that trance, why has trance changed? You ask. It hasn't changed, because it doesn't fit into the mold of what humans call "labels".

That is what I think about it, and I am sure you could feel obliged to disagree; I just want to see you free your mind.

~J

Voxxin
Voxxin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 10th, 2013 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 9/8/13 08:20 PM, Omnivore wrote: making trance/house/tech is a contest to see who can make the best distorted triangle wave with sidechain

What? In mainstream trance who's sidechaining a distorted triangle wave?

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 11th, 2013 @ 02:26 AM Reply

At 9/10/13 05:15 PM, jaysummers759885 wrote: I think that art is freedom. Period. I think that trance music is a style/genre, but I wish it wasn't. Let me ask you this question: If labels weren't real, would you be asking this question?
~J

I agree with you, but without labels there would be even more confusion. People would start calling the music locally. For example: "Hey, did you hear the songs at LOCAL X?" "Yeah, LOCAL X rocks, its song are the best"
Then people will start to register LOCAL X tracks and putting them on CD, making compilation like "LOCAL X TRAXX" or something. That was what happened at the start of '90 here. Saturday people would just go to the same locals over and over while each time new Djs and new songs/fresh ideas were played.

So, if labels weren't real, to answer your question, someone else or people themselves would find a way to label each song/genre. I do agree with you though: genres are mostly pointless for us, they are needed for obvious purposes only to discographic productors and companies

SUCK MY KICK

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 11th, 2013 @ 03:11 AM Reply

if there was no such thing as genre music would be whack and not bang very hard at all

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 11th, 2013 @ 08:11 AM Reply

At 9/11/13 02:26 AM, Lachi wrote:
At 9/10/13 05:15 PM, jaysummers759885 wrote: I think that art is freedom. Period. I think that trance music is a style/genre, but I wish it wasn't. Let me ask you this question: If labels weren't real, would you be asking this question?
~J
I agree with you, but without labels there would be even more confusion. People would start calling the music locally. For example: "Hey, did you hear the songs at LOCAL X?" "Yeah, LOCAL X rocks, its song are the best"
Then people will start to register LOCAL X tracks and putting them on CD, making compilation like "LOCAL X TRAXX" or something. That was what happened at the start of '90 here. Saturday people would just go to the same locals over and over while each time new Djs and new songs/fresh ideas were played.

So, if labels weren't real, to answer your question, someone else or people themselves would find a way to label each song/genre. I do agree with you though: genres are mostly pointless for us, they are needed for obvious purposes only to discographic productors and companies

``````````````````````````````

lol you know I didn't mean LITERALLY the labels on a CD right? I can understand naming a band. I meant labeling music into genres/styles. After playing music for 25 years I can say that I play all kinds of genres of music. Reggae, funk, metal, rock and roll... but without labels I would just playing. With that concept in mind imagine what kind of sound you would really get. lol... start off with Metal, and then go into a reggae beat... come artists have done that. Like... 311.. they are metal but have a twist of reggaeish funk...

I guess what I am saying is: "Labels limit us."

But yeah, I can understand saying DAMN THAT BAND WAS AWESOME, and putting them on a CD. lol

~J

mctoast
mctoast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 02:03 AM Reply

Trance is a kick looped for 8 mins on a druggy club, what you all concider as trance is garbage.

zc

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 04:30 AM Reply

At 9/12/13 02:03 AM, mctoast wrote: Trance is a kick looped for 8 mins on a druggy club, what you all concider as trance is garbage.

Thanks for explaining and sharing your complex view on the subject

SUCK MY KICK

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 07:52 AM Reply

At 9/12/13 02:03 AM, mctoast wrote: Trance is a kick looped for 8 mins on a druggy club, what you all concider as trance is garbage.

have you even listened to it?

there is some pretty good tracks out there...

lel

samuri-ASHI
samuri-ASHI
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 13th, 2013 @ 11:18 AM Reply

it has a real relaxing and smooth feeling to it like your mediating in the rain

lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 13th, 2013 @ 12:00 PM Reply

why listen to trance when you can listen to literally anything else

BBS Signature
Cynicalx
Cynicalx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 14th, 2013 @ 07:29 AM Reply

Because it's TRANCE duh!

"Friends are a nice thing to have... Heh, heh. Could you be my friend, too? Eh-hee-hee... You have the same smell as the fairy kid who taught me that song in the woods..."

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 20th, 2013 @ 12:22 AM Reply

At 9/8/13 08:20 PM, Omnivore wrote: Today, EDM is so heavily focused on deep ass bass yo that it's hard to find a dance song without it being focused on bass. Before then, trance music focused on poppy synths and catchy melodies that ranged far on the spectrum. Nowadays, making trance/house/tech is a contest to see who can make the best distorted triangle wave with sidechain. Is it necessarily bad? I don't think so, it's a matter of opinion. But yeah.

Yeah. It annoys me that todays EDM and a lot of the other music sounds all the same. They're just trying to copy each other because they know that's what people like and labels push that on a lot of them :/ it's really sad and stupid to me. I like finding those rare gems that really stand out. I like trance like Armin Van Buuren and a lot of trance artists can't stack up to what he's got. He makes beautiful music. I like some of his old stuff like The Sound of Goodbye. I have heard better but i can't remember the artists' names, it's been a while, but i used to listen to a lot of trance. I like the Riva mix of Marc Et Claude's "Tremble". I listen to some old trance when i listen.

I just think people's idea of good music has went downhill in the scene...and Ultra records has mostly gone to shit. They used to be about good stuff and look at them now...signing PITBULL and the other artists i either hate or am not fond of. Every now and then I find sometihng good in the electronic scene but not gonna lie, it's rare.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Why does Trance sound better... Sep. 20th, 2013 @ 12:40 AM Reply

Also to add on to what I said, there was a lot of layering and atmosphere to that kind of trance, you could tell they put their all into it and not just some wacky bass all over the place to impress a crowd. It's called beautiful music that isn't half assed and copied lol thats my explanation.