00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need some constructive criticism

710 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need some constructive criticism 2013-09-07 15:50:43

I feel like something is off in this portrait, I just can't figure out what I still need to change or shade more maybe
Can some1 please point out some things I missed maybe?

Response to Need some constructive criticism 2013-09-08 11:58:34

At 9/7/13 03:50 PM, justsomerandomdude wrote: I feel like something is off in this portrait, I just can't figure out what I still need to change or shade more maybe

Hello! Welcome to our Art Forum! I have to say that your work looks very promising. I think it needs a bit more highlights as it is a bit flat at the moment and a little bit of shading would be nice as well. Overall it is quite decent to look at, just a bit lacking regarding some details. Are you planning on coloring this? Everything looks better with color in my opinion. Cheers!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Need some constructive criticism 2013-09-08 15:37:06

I was originally not going to colour it but I might as soon as I'm satisfied with the grayscale

Response to Need some constructive criticism 2013-09-08 17:44:36

At 9/8/13 11:58 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Hello! Welcome to our Art Forum! I have to say that your work looks very promising. I think it needs a bit more highlights as it is a bit flat at the moment and a little bit of shading would be nice as well. Overall it is quite decent to look at, just a bit lacking regarding some details. Are you planning on coloring this? Everything looks better with color in my opinion. Cheers!

This is what I have so far with colouring, tried shading it a bit more but it still seems flat
Or is it just because I've been staring at it so long that I keep seeing mistakes

Response to Need some constructive criticism 2013-09-08 22:39:28

At 9/8/13 10:26 PM, bigCman321 wrote: Mouth looks too small to me. Also if you don't want your drawings to look flat, then you need to start thinking three dementionally when you draw. This is a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

I'll try to make the mouth a bit bigger and I just saw the video, he explains it pretty well and I will be watching more tutorials about head angles before I start on my next face

Response to Need some constructive criticism 2013-09-08 23:17:30

At 9/7/13 03:50 PM, justsomerandomdude wrote: I feel like something is off in this portrait, I just can't figure out what I still need to change or shade more maybe

Here's some of my advice but it's a personal thing, feel free to disregard it. Since your approach is very painterly, you might want to use more of hard edge brushes to get shapes and forms more clear during rendering.

Apart from that the lighting is muddy and the light source isn't very clear but that's just fundamentals, you'll get better at that :)