New Topic Respond to this Topic
MarijuanaMonday
MarijuanaMonday
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 17:25:54 Reply

I was searching around the internet one day looking at some graphics tablets and saw that most of them were horribly cheap, too small, or too expensive. Then I stared at a pen and thought "Why aren't there laser mice made like pens?" I then searched around some more and found out that there were such mice and that they could be used for drawing. Does anyone know of any other GTA's? And for someone who has a graphics tablet and/or laser mouse pen, how comfortable is it compared to drawing on paper?

Hmm... Interesting...

Haris
Haris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 18:07:34 Reply

At 8/28/13 05:25 PM, MarijuanaMonday wrote: I was searching around the internet one day looking at some graphics tablets and saw that most of them were horribly cheap, too small, or too expensive. Then I stared at a pen and thought "Why aren't there laser mice made like pens?" I then searched around some more and found out that there were such mice and that they could be used for drawing. Does anyone know of any other GTA's? And for someone who has a graphics tablet and/or laser mouse pen, how comfortable is it compared to drawing on paper?

tbh I had probs with a tablet at thirst and until this day its like 40-60% of my max potential, but I am trying hard to get better. Well.. as an alternative, I used my laptops touchthingy and my stylius was my finger :) later on I found a cheap and yet big on the active area tablet.
idk how much it was in american doleyrz, but i'd say it was about 60-80$ for me
http://www.trinity.com.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=154

takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 18:08:50 Reply

i have a wacom pen and touch tablet and it is really comfortable to draw with, in my opinion. hovering over the tablet with the pen and tapping things makes it work as a mouse, and to draw, you simply draw onto the tablet. the only thing you have to get used to getting a feel for where your cursor is and will be when making your marks. it took me a couple weeks to get used to it and now, it seems even more intuitive than drawing on paper.

BBS Signature
leakyduck
leakyduck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 18:16:23 Reply

I'm working on a used wacom bamboo fun i got on amazon for pretty cheap (around $80); the only disorienting thing that i've experienced is a matter of hand eye coordination which you will have with a pen mouse anyway. The best investment to go with my tablet was a scanner to input pencil art with.
Here's some of the stuff i've done with mine.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 18:37:37 Reply

At 8/28/13 05:25 PM, MarijuanaMonday wrote: I was searching around the internet one day looking at some graphics tablets and saw that most of them were horribly cheap, too small, or too expensive. Then I stared at a pen and thought "Why aren't there laser mice made like pens?" I then searched around some more and found out that there were such mice and that they could be used for drawing. Does anyone know of any other GTA's? And for someone who has a graphics tablet and/or laser mouse pen, how comfortable is it compared to drawing on paper?

I actually helped fund this little gizmo on Kickstarter, cause I thought it was a fun idea and might be pretty cool. So Ask me again when I get it in a few months, and I'll let you know if I like it or not.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
MarijuanaMonday
MarijuanaMonday
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 18:40:38 Reply

At 8/28/13 06:16 PM, leakyduck wrote: the only disorienting thing that i've experienced is a matter of hand eye coordination which you will have with a pen mouse anyway.

I was never really concerned about the problem with hand eye coordination. It was the active area of the tablet I was concerned about. I'm just not sure if I can get used to drawing on something smaller than a binder.

I like your art, btw!

Hmm... Interesting...

MarijuanaMonday
MarijuanaMonday
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 18:58:08 Reply

At 8/28/13 06:37 PM, Kinsei wrote:
I actually helped fund this little gizmo on Kickstarter, cause I thought it was a fun idea and might be pretty cool. So Ask me again when I get it in a few months, and I'll let you know if I like it or not.

That G-Stick looks a lot more sturdy than the mouse pens I've been looking at. I'm really looking forward to its release!

Hmm... Interesting...

3abden
3abden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 20:21:24 Reply

At 8/28/13 06:40 PM, MarijuanaMonday wrote:
At 8/28/13 06:16 PM, leakyduck wrote: the only disorienting thing that i've experienced is a matter of hand eye coordination which you will have with a pen mouse anyway.
I was never really concerned about the problem with hand eye coordination. It was the active area of the tablet I was concerned about. I'm just not sure if I can get used to drawing on something smaller than a binder.

I personally found an 8x6 Wacom working very well with wide screen setups. The pen feels natural and all the active areas have a good "pen to screen" response. I don't recommend going too expensive, the current Bamboo's have 1026 pressure points which is (IMHO) pretty good.

My art thread!
Clicky for my DA!

BBS Signature
Nempatriarch
Nempatriarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 20:28:49 Reply

Once you get used to a tablet, it becomes your best buddy for working, Not so much for everything else, it does NOT replace the mouse, you should have both and use them for their respective areas.

Buy a bamboo pen, even the small one can be great if you put some time in it. Many pro illustrators and animators use them and make amazing art with them. You gotta start somewhere.
I've haven't tried any of the new genius tablets, when i bought my wacom genius pens needed batteries to actually work. I suppose they have improved since then.

Of course an intuos or a cintiq are way better, they are the industry standard, but if you go and spend $2000 on a device that you don't know how to use and you don't use it to work, honestly you are not the sharpest tool in the shed. I know many people that do that, just saying...

PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 20:37:37 Reply

At 8/28/13 08:28 PM, Nempatriarch wrote:

Of course an intuos or a cintiq are way better, they are the industry standard, but if you go and spend $2000 on a device that you don't know how to use and you don't use it to work, honestly you are not the sharpest tool in the shed. I know many people that do that, just saying...

Hey, I did that >:[

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-28 23:16:04 Reply

Wacom bamboo is perfect for me , its around 80-100$ atm i think. I adapted to it straight away and have not experienced a single problem ever since i bought it. If it ever got broke , im pretty sure id buy the exact same product.

Nempatriarch
Nempatriarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-29 17:50:35 Reply

At 8/28/13 08:37 PM, PatBest22 wrote:

Let me change my statement a bit. Its ok to buy an intuos, they are not that expensive and you will be using them until they break or you get a cintiq.
If what you bought was a cintiq, i'm sorry but i think that's not the wisest thing to do :/, but if you are loaded, you can do what you want, i guess.

3abden
3abden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-30 11:50:17 Reply

At 8/29/13 05:50 PM, Nempatriarch wrote:
At 8/28/13 08:37 PM, PatBest22 wrote:

Let me change my statement a bit. Its ok to buy an intuos, they are not that expensive and you will be using them until they break or you get a cintiq.
If what you bought was a cintiq, i'm sorry but i think that's not the wisest thing to do :/, but if you are loaded, you can do what you want, i guess.

intuos is a good investment. I have been using my intuos2 for more than 6-7 years and replaced the pen nibs twice! the current bamboos are up to par with the older models, which is fantastic!

My art thread!
Clicky for my DA!

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-08-30 17:40:36 Reply

At 8/28/13 06:40 PM, MarijuanaMonday wrote: I was never really concerned about the problem with hand eye coordination. It was the active area of the tablet I was concerned about. I'm just not sure if I can get used to drawing on something smaller than a binder.

It's a smaller physical space to draw on, but you have to remember that on a computer you can zoom in and out and move around on the digital canvas. That means effectively the tablet is a way bigger space to draw on than a binder.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Greasegoat
Greasegoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Graphics Tablet Alternatives? 2013-09-01 14:52:52 Reply

I have a Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen Tablet. It feels comfortable. I got used to it in a day. I bought the tablet for 7.99$

"Voted worlds most scariest man by 8/10 childern" ~ psychicpebble

BBS Signature