Be a Supporter!
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Consistency 2013-08-25 12:07:33 Reply

Hello everyone. I was just wondering how you all get consistent with drawing a particular character the same every time you draw them. Whenever I draw my characters, they tend to change, even if it is slightly and unnoticeable by others besides me. i think it is mostly due to my evolving skill/style as well as perpetual dissatisfaction for certain character designs.

ANYWAY, the only way i can think of to get consistent with character designs is to draw them over and over again. Does anyone have any personal methods that they use in order to keep their character consistent panel after panel?

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Consistency 2013-08-25 12:16:46 Reply

If it makes you feel any better i am specifically terrible at that, still.

Part of it is like you say, just tired of the design, but yeah you just gotta do your shit carefully and measure proportions and keep the design the same. In animation its rough for beginners....

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Consistency 2013-08-25 12:27:31 Reply

At 8/25/13 12:16 PM, Template88 wrote: If it makes you feel any better i am specifically terrible at that, still.

Part of it is like you say, just tired of the design, but yeah you just gotta do your shit carefully and measure proportions and keep the design the same. In animation its rough for beginners....

good to know im not the only one that has that issue...and i dont even want to think about what it's like for animators. I eventually want to delve into animating, but i know its gonna be clunky and gross, though drawing started out that way, too. ill try out the measurement thing for sure though. it certainly makes sense to me.

BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Consistency 2013-08-25 13:17:57 Reply

I know what you're talking about with changes in style and all that. From my experience worrying about consistency is only worth it if you are at a point where you can say 'This is the final design'. (I am aware of the artists habit to withdraw the word 'final' some time later..)
The first step towards consistency is the overall shape of the character or the relative shape and size of specific body parts. The head for example always has the same relative size to the body. Try memorizing the relative sizes of every body part while sketching the character out or create a reference drawing you can peek at (like the ref for one of my characters below for example). Apply it to every body part: Arms and legs have a relative thickness yada yada.
This seems pretty basic, but details like the face are actually built exactly the same way: The size of eyes, nose, mouth and ears is relative to the head, finger thickness = relative to arm and so on. Anything further like eye/nose/chin shape and hair are just a matter of practice. Memorize what the eyes/nose/hair looks like from different angles (once again, a reference drawing helps) and practice until you can produce it without thinking too much.

It all boils down to:
Body parts = be aware of the relative sizes/shapes
Details = practice and memorization

These ramblings encompass what I taught myself at least, so there may be better ways out there. One thing I can say for sure is that reference drawings are a big help even though it is desirable to be able to draw characters consistently from memory. You shouldn't look at references every two seconds, but you should use them to refresh your memory whenever necessary.

Consistency

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Consistency 2013-08-25 13:33:06 Reply

At 8/25/13 01:17 PM, kmau wrote: It all boils down to:
Body parts = be aware of the relative sizes/shapes
Details = practice and memorization

Wow. Thanks a lot for responding. it was actually me checking out your gallery and animation that inspired me to ask, so its awesome that i got some feedback from you! I dont really know what else to say, but thank you for all of the useful information! im definitely going to be keeping this all in mind when drawing my characters. love the idea of a reference sheet, too.

BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Consistency 2013-08-26 04:26:03 Reply

No problem! Good luck on your artistic endeavors.

I've been wondering wether you wrote this thread or the review first since both have the same topic.

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Consistency 2013-08-26 11:48:28 Reply

At 8/26/13 04:26 AM, kmau wrote:
I've been wondering wether you wrote this thread or the review first since both have the same topic.

i actually wrote the review first, then i boiled on it for a bit. lol. then i decided to make a forum thread to get some input. XD

BBS Signature