New Topic Respond to this Topic
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
In need of Helpful tips 2013-08-25 06:49:52 Reply

Hello Newgrounds. I am Brand new on this site Striving to become a decent artist.
Anyways I was told there were tons of great artists on this site that can give me a few pointers when it comes to working with Photoshop.
I am not fully sure how to use the program correctly however this is where i am at now on the only picture i have posted. You can see a difference in the size of the dragon as well as a few other changes. After i learn a few techniques to help improve on this i will most likely replace the one i have posted on my page.

Again all tips are very much appreciated.

In need of Helpful tips

just keeping it mad :P

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-08-25 17:15:44 Reply

again all help is welcomed

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-08-26 17:52:10 Reply

Hey , your work seems to have great potential , i love the powerful tones in it.

My advice would be not to use so much liquify and filters. I suggest you work on your own skills and not trying to use the magic buttons of photoshop. Draw as if you are drawing on papper , with the exception of using layers ofcourse. This is the best way to learn as you develop your skill without being bound to a programm to draw for you. Furthermore , once you attain enough experience , you will know how and when to use said magic buttons appropriately.

In addition i suggest you study life and speed painting videos as much as you can. For example , if you wish to draw a dragon , a good idea is to study pictures of lizards and other well drawn dragons. This way you can understand the biostructure of your character , its anatomy and how it works. Once you understand the anatomy of a life form , you can do miracles with it. Think of it this way. When you draw something , no matter what it is , even the most fictional life form , you are putting a puzzle together. The pieces of the puzzle are the different body parts , muscles and so on , all the things that make an object alive. To make something believable , there must be enough puzzle pieces for the eye to see and understand.

Furthermore , i think you can work more on your background. Define the landscape more , give it a solid shape.

Hope i helped , if you need any firther info ask me.

TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-08-26 18:44:34 Reply

This is a lot of help. I am still new to the Photoshop thing so the magic buttons were so tempting.
Im sure over time i will have nice professional images posted here. till then any tip helps :)

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-08-27 05:22:29 Reply

Well ive managed to create 3 more though they are too large to put on this thread. Is there any way i can lower the k. if not i have them posted on my page found out i can make use of the characters if i save them separate from the image its self then im free to move the same guys around and add on

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-08-30 02:32:02 Reply

any advise on improvements?

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-08-30 02:36:20 Reply

any advise on improvements?

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-01 03:15:48 Reply

Well i think im slowly improving I know i have a lot to learn however.

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-01 09:58:47 Reply

At 9/1/13 03:15 AM, TrojanMan87 wrote: Well i think im slowly improving I know i have a lot to learn however.

Is this a filter?

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-01 12:05:39 Reply

At 9/1/13 09:58 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 9/1/13 03:15 AM, TrojanMan87 wrote: Well i think im slowly improving I know i have a lot to learn however.
Is this a filter?

Yes its , "watercolour" most likely.

I like where you are going , its different. In general , i think you should be more comfident on your own skills. Dont use filters and other means of adjustment so much. Always make sure to have visible forms in your work. Avoid blurry lines unless you want to portray depth or quick movement.

Keep it up , its gonna be interesting to see how you evolve! I like your style!

TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-01 14:23:14 Reply

Is this a filter?

only filter i put on this image is posterization the rest is different brush settings this is what it looked like without the poster

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-01 14:30:26 Reply

At 9/1/13 12:05 PM, Kkylimos wrote:
Is this a filter?
Yes its , "watercolour" most likely.

I like where you are going , its different. In general , i think you should be more comfident on your own skills. Dont use filters and other means of adjustment so much. Always make sure to have visible forms in your work. Avoid blurry lines unless you want to portray depth or quick movement.

Keep it up , its gonna be interesting to see how you evolve! I like your style!

I only used one filter and that was in the last image It was posterize to bring out a nice looking out line. I did however use a lot of layers and different brush settings getting a decent feel. the bright color was with the color dodge setting set at a low opacity so i could stack one ontop of the other giving you this effect. the one with the town was strictly all different brush strokes and opacity settings for the brush giving it atmosphere.

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-02 07:29:16 Reply

At 9/1/13 02:23 PM, TrojanMan87 wrote:
Is this a filter?
only filter i put on this image is posterization the rest is different brush settings this is what it looked like without the poster

I like the overall Idea.
I would recommend to use harder brushes at the edges to create more solid and defined shapes. You can try to create sort of a "blob" of colors that barely resemble your intendet image and then proceed to shape out this mush.
Basicaly, your works are lacking defined shapes. The only way of fixing that is being patient, picking a hard edged brush and start defining the shapes. Soft brushes are a snake oil: They can improve a work dramatically, but will destroy it if overused.
As a practice, I'd advice you to paint without the use of soft brushes. This will give you a feel of how to shape out objects and how to create soft gradients.
Also, try to work a bit with greyscales. It will improve your understanding of bright-dark-contrasts.

Thats it from me so far. Feel free to contact me if you want more advice.
I will, however, keep an eye on you, because you and your works DO show promise.

Hope my comment helps you in some way

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-02 15:17:23 Reply

It helps a good bit. My question is how do i go about making the brush harder. Im still new to photoshop

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-05 13:04:24 Reply

At 9/2/13 03:17 PM, TrojanMan87 wrote:

It helps a good bit. My question is how do i go about making the brush harder. Im still new to photoshop

open your brush window in photoshop (right click on canvas, then click the small icon that looks like a folder. If that doesn't work, F5 is supposedly the hotkey to open it).
Then, you should be in the "Brush shape" Tab of the window. It's the default tab. There, you should be able to see a couple of scroll bars. One of them should be labled "Hardness" or something like that. Crack it up to 100% and presto! Hard brush.
You can, of course, also do it the other way around, turning hard brushes into extremely soft ones.
Please note that it doesn't work for some brushes (mostly custom ones, which are based on an image like a square, a blob or a texture).

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-07 06:07:28 Reply

Thank you. sooner or later i will get a good feel to it. I know i still have a ways to go but thanks to the hardness control Im able to make things stand out a bit more. I decided to try a technique i seen on a speed painting set where they took an actual image and painted over it. the shapes a wonky due to the fact that im using a mouse and no mouse pad plus pc is a tad out of date for the set up lol. again thank you and all helpful tips are very much appreciated

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-07 06:08:58 Reply

this was the original pic that i painted over

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-08 06:21:08 Reply

Still don't have a strong feel for the brushes but i'm getting there.

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-08 06:53:23 Reply

Your work looks like it has some good foundations, and at there's some great ideas trying to come out but that they're not fully rendered.

My issue is that you appear to be highly reliant on filters. I can accept that filters can be a good tool, but on a few of these pics they appear to be the final step, which is wrong. Slapping a filter on doesn't make a pic into a fully finished pic. A few of your pics look like they need extra work to bring out the details, hardening up edges and making things actually pop for the viewer.

Filters make it look like the viewer themselves is viewing your work through a filter.

Also don't forget to try referencing stuff, since it's difficult to envisage stuff straight from your mind - it's better to let it develop on the page. For example, you can reference dragon/bat pics to see how the wings should look in your top pic, or komodo lizards so that your last pic doesn't have its head scrunched up to its neck.

Also

At 9/7/13 06:08 AM, TrojanMan87 wrote: this was the original pic that i painted over

This is mostly somebody else's photograph that you have "framed" with your painting. Try to copy the photo in future, rather than incorporating it into the pic.

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-08 13:53:58 Reply

At 9/8/13 06:53 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Your work looks like it has some good foundations, and at there's some great ideas trying to come out but that they're not fully rendered.

My issue is that you appear to be highly reliant on filters.

Actually only filter i use is the poster one. at first yes i was heavy on filters but as you see the further down i went the less filters a lot look heavy on the filters mainly because i could not find how to make a brush less blurry until recently. I do agree about the one with the photograph And am still working on that image. if i finally create something i am proud of with it you can be sure i will have it posted. the newest one i only used one filter which i used to simply clean up the image at its lowest setting. this is how it looked before i used that one filter which isn't a big change. there is no filters in this image. It doesn't look like a big difference to me however probably still looks filtered to you more skilled people.
hopefully one day i will be able to create an image as strong as yalls with the perfect strokes.
As you can tell I have very much to learn however in my opinion i am improving slowly but surely.

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature
TrojanMan87
TrojanMan87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to In need of Helpful tips 2013-09-08 21:57:13 Reply

this is it for this image unless there are some helpful tricks someone can help me out with. only thing i really did was work on the face and textured it up some. mouse decided to act wonky while trying the glowing embers so i said screw it lol.

In need of Helpful tips

BBS Signature