New Topic Respond to this Topic
Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Darth Marius art book Aug. 22nd, 2013 @ 09:37 AM Reply

ok so i decided to post my work here . i hope you like it.

this is my first ork pic , i wanted to move away from the normal crazed axe nut job idea.

Darth Marius art book

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:03 PM Reply

Do you use dodge and burn to shade?

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 8/22/13 04:03 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Do you use dodge and burn to shade?

no i use layers and my fave tool gaussian blur. but the cleaning takes its time

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 8/22/13 04:29 PM, Darthmarius wrote:
At 8/22/13 04:03 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Do you use dodge and burn to shade?
no i use layers and my fave tool gaussian blur. but the cleaning takes its time

Here's a tutorial on photoshop painting. Might give you some pointers :)

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 26th, 2013 @ 03:44 PM Reply

so i decided to work on a new drawing to practice blending, still got to work on hair but i had a good go on this one. please leave feedback.

Darth Marius art book

Cairos
Cairos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Artist
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 26th, 2013 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 8/26/13 03:44 PM, Darthmarius wrote: so i decided to work on a new drawing to practice blending, still got to work on hair but i had a good go on this one. please leave feedback.

I am going to assume she is a child due to her hairstyle and what she is wearing.
You are eager to get into details, but because of this you are unintentionally increasing the age of the subject. If you do want to represent those details then you must be extremely more subtle.
You see the end product but you need to break it down into a deeper process. Build a stronger foundation then learn how to build on top of it.

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 27th, 2013 @ 02:12 AM Reply

. nice demo . the girl in the picture is about 11 and dose look close to the ref photo i used but thanks for the advice . the hard thing for me is ive been drawing caricatures for so long it make portrait work a bit harder .

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 27th, 2013 @ 08:47 AM Reply

As i promised , here is the image with some pointers. Im gonna review them and by the end of the post , i hope you will have a better understanding of your image and what you should notice.

1) The facial features of the orc are not even. One eyebrow is smaller than the other , his eyes are not aligned and his nostrils seems to be of different shape and angle. Furthermore , one eyebrow ends in the midle of his nose bridge wich is another anatomical mistake. Aside from the obvious suggestion that is to study facial structure , i also suggest that you flip your image horizontally every now and again. When you look at the image for a long time ( i.e. when ur drawing) your brain gets used to the image and its harder to spot mistakes. If you flip the image , you will notice things you missed way easier. Just a test , everytime you draw some part of the image . I bet you will quickly make a habbit out of it.

2) The neck has anatomical issues as the muscles are not portrayed correctly. Check this and this

3) The teeth seem to overlap the lip which is wrong since they do not grow on the lip but instead , the lip covers them. It should be obvious that they are behind it. Make sure not to show the bases where they connect with the gums. Also the lip's hue is contrasting with the orc's skin tone. It would seem as if he is wearing a lipstic. I wouldnt mind if it was some weird monster etc but since its a humanoid orc that doesnt seem to have any tattoo or warpaint , he should be coloured in a concistent way to make his skin believable. The lip should propably have a darker green tone.

4) Be careful when you use textures from photos or brushes. First of all , the texture is flat and ruins the spherical shape of the shoulder pad. It makes the image feel 2d. To avoid that i suggest you use the lasso tool and play around with Wrap , Distort and other handy modes of lasso , in order to make the texture wrap around the surface. Furthermore , make sure that if you decide to use such texture , you must create an even image where all surfaces are properly textured. For example , i see texture on the shoulder pad but not on the skin. Anyway , personally i dont use premade textures anymore , in my opinion , textures fit best on paintingS but not on comic work were the linework is visible like mine and your's. In some linework style it may look good but most often i find it that its a poor shortcut for the artist to give the impression of material. The best way is to draw the texture on your own , or even better use brushes that help you do that . Its surprising what a bounch of simple brushes can do if used properly.

5) The hand's anatomy is wrong, study hands more , dont worry about it , its possibly the hardest part of the body to understand , along with moving feet.

6) Again the hands , they look too stiff. Hands are very flexible and they wrap around the things we grab.

7 and 8) This is about the rendering. Rendering is the most important phase , as it creates the illusion of 3D and makes the objects assume form. In your image there is no certain light source. We see the arm of the orc reflecting lights from somewhere up , left and front. We see the baby receive light in the tummy which is quite weird considering it is in the arms of its dad. We see that one hand receives light from the left while the other does not and nor does the baby's back. And the head's rendering is missplaced too. Theres too much shade on places there shouldnt and no shade on places where it certainly should. For example his scalp is very darkly shaded while his chin is bright as day.

To do a proper rendering you must follow a process. Right now i feel like you rendered with the thought of trying to show the shape of the body , without considering the actual lightsource. When you render 1) decide your light source(s). Where does the light come from , where does it hit. Once you know that , you can calculate how the shadows are cast. 2) Understand the shape of the object you are rendering. In flat colours , everything looks like a sticker. Its not. When you render something you must understand the surfaces so you can cast shade and light properly. This comes with study and experience as well as observing from real life.

As for the rendering technique , there are tons out there. If you want to have soft shading and not cell-shading , i think it would be better if you used a soft round brush instead of the blur tool. Additionally , a commonly acceptable way is to use the multiply mode. To do that , pick the colour of the area you are rendering. Then create another layer on top of it and set mode to multiply. By adjusting opacity you can create a nice hue of shade. If there are multicoloured areas , a good idea is to pick a grey tone for your multiply. This way all colours will be shaded in their own hue and not get mixed.
In time and practice you will find out what rendering technique works the best for you. I needed a couple of years to decide mine so dont worry if you are going back and forth. And also , check Scott Robertson's dvds on How to Render Matte surfaces. They are very good. here's his utube channel

The numberless circle) The earing are define physics as they seem to float. One is pinched very close to your linework for the ear and it seems as if the orc is made of papper. also the tooth piercing is mistakenly proportioned. Its impossible for it to obscure the face so much, it makes it look as if the face is flat. Also , it messes with the face's composition as it is too big and draws focus from the point of interest which is the face.

In general , i like your work , its a very interesting idea and i dont get to see the soft spot of orcs often. I see you have imagination and you are not limited in creativity. I am sure that in time you will become agreat artist. Work hard and try to amass as much knowledge as you can. Your artwork has potential and if you really want it , you can make big leaps ahead. I hope my pointers are helpful , its too big to review it so , if something is unclear or you have further questions , im always happy to help!

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 27th, 2013 @ 09:34 AM Reply

slap me with a haddock !

thanks for all the advice there my friend you have pointed out so much that i should know and somehow have let slip away . caricaturing is a bad habit in some ways you go against all the things we should do so i will have to learn to use the right skills needed for each piece. im going to have another crack at this one from the start.

cheers.

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 27th, 2013 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 8/27/13 09:34 AM, Darthmarius wrote: slap me with a haddock !

thanks for all the advice there my friend you have pointed out so much that i should know and somehow have let slip away . caricaturing is a bad habit in some ways you go against all the things we should do so i will have to learn to use the right skills needed for each piece. im going to have another crack at this one from the start.

cheers.

Im delighted to hear that i was of help , its a great joy for me :) Looking forward to see your improved version!

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 27th, 2013 @ 05:00 PM Reply

ok i started a do over and im going to post it in stages , here is the first stage and the ref photo i used to start with. before i get to the stage any hits on drawing dint's and scratches to armor would be most welcome. i decided to opt for a fur cape this time round too ( brave!)

and on top of all this ive just jumped from photo shop 3 to 7 so i hope that was a good idea.

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 28th, 2013 @ 03:40 AM Reply

ok stage two .

1. first of all i refined all the line work using a size 9 hard brush.
2.then i decided to give the cloak a bit more of a collar (this will look better in stage three)
3. the ears i decided to change and i moved the earring tooth (from a rival fallen war chief) to the other ear and shrink it.
4. the head of the dad was moved to get a more interment loving connection feel
5. an then i "borrowed" the shoulder pad and arm band from the first run of this pic ( as they were ok the first time round at this stage.)

next stage block colour

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 28th, 2013 @ 04:04 PM Reply

STAGE THREE.

i have use a soft brush to block in all the colour . and i place a grey under coat in too.

Darth Marius art book

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 29th, 2013 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 8/28/13 04:04 PM, Darthmarius wrote: STAGE THREE.

i have use a soft brush to block in all the colour . and i place a grey under coat in too.

Hey thats so much better than your previous attempt! Watch the baby's hand , it could use some fixing , it should be chubier and not so long. Also his left eye is smaller and upper than his right , make sure you correct that! Also move the shoulder pad a bit forward , his shoulder should be in the middle of the pad as it wraps around his body. Fur looks kinda solid right now , you could make the hair wavy to show its shoft. But with a good rendering you can minimize this problem. Oh and one last thing , the three stripes on the baby's side are somewhat strange. In the image they are wrinkles that form as the baby sits but it doesnt show in your pick. Maybe if you do them more subtle and align them with the baby's back in the point it bends , it will look perfect! looking forward to see your next step! :)

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 29th, 2013 @ 10:49 AM Reply

thanks for the pointers , my eyes have got a bit lazy me thinks. i will attend to them before the next stage

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 31st, 2013 @ 03:14 AM Reply

first i made a few changes that were needed to the drawing.

ok so now stage four.
the baby skin has been turned off as i will do that later im working on dad first.

now before i start in true AA fashion i will stand up and say i am a cartoonist and I'm crap at shading! always have been . so i invented what i call the arrow of light. (see first pic) make a arrow shape and give it a gradient fill angle it to match the light angle you want and then you can move it up and down to help guide you. only use the brush strokes in the same direction as the arrow .never change the direction of the arrow after you start using it!
so what did i do here?

all mine line work was lowered to a small opacity.

i turned off all the layers that were not dad skin tone. then i made two colour picks from the skin a mid tone and a darker. mid tone first i made a new layer and coated the whole skin with the mid tone colour using a large soft brush at low opacity.
then using a eraser ( i like to use a low opacity air brush) i rubbed out the light areas.

new layer !: using the darker picked skin colour on a soft brush / low opacity and my arrow of light i picked out all the darker areas and with a smaller brush filled in some detail around the eyes and face.

Darth Marius art book

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 31st, 2013 @ 04:22 AM Reply

That troll drawing is looking good man, Massive improvement in shading technique and values. Keep up the good work.

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 31st, 2013 @ 08:03 AM Reply

At 8/31/13 04:22 AM, JackDGreatest wrote: That troll drawing is looking good man, Massive improvement in shading technique and values. Keep up the good work.

thanks you very much. i thought it was time i showed you guys i do know what the hell im doing :D i must admit that as a caricaturist i have been lazy and used blur's more than the shading im doing now.

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Aug. 31st, 2013 @ 08:06 AM Reply

so stage five....

new layer : using a small air brush on low opt i started working on the detail in the darkest areas . again use the "arrow of light" as a guide. i worked the areas using a dark brown and a blue and i'm quite pleased with how it looks.

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 04:05 AM Reply

stage six....

the red armor

first of all i googled for some leather texture and found this nice square effect so i went with that. overlayed big enough to cover the whole of the Armour and then lowed the op to quite low.
new layer ! using a soft brush on low op i used a dark red to shade the armour and the white the highlight a touch.

the fur

this was done in two parts the color and the cape.

all the guiding line work for the cloak was removed.

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 03:44 PM Reply

stage seven

for this stage i use a lot of picture textures but they have been used in conjunction whit shading.

for the wrist band i wanted it to look like this ork has taken skin from every kill he had and made a wrist band.

the shoulder pad and small strap next to it has also been worked on using texture and shading.

Darth Marius art book

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 06:32 PM Reply

At 9/1/13 03:44 PM, Darthmarius wrote: stage seven

for this stage i use a lot of picture textures but they have been used in conjunction whit shading.

for the wrist band i wanted it to look like this ork has taken skin from every kill he had and made a wrist band.

the shoulder pad and small strap next to it has also been worked on using texture and shading.

Its good , i love the shoulderpad. Make sure to put the watermark behind the character so it doesnt ruin teh image. Keep it up dude :D

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 2nd, 2013 @ 04:42 AM Reply

stage eight .

i have added more details to the shading and added brows and eye lashes to the dad ork. tryied to get rid of some of the outline layer.

next the baby...

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 5th, 2013 @ 09:04 AM Reply

stage nine

i added extra texture to the baby , i was thinking of frog skin white/ yellow around the under side and darker with freckles on the back.

then i added some shade using the colours from the dad and his clothes.

Darth Marius art book

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 5th, 2013 @ 10:09 AM Reply

and at last stage ten. background done and a few slight touches here and there. very happy with this considering the first attempt.

Darth Marius art book

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 5th, 2013 @ 10:11 AM Reply

much better than the first try, but in dire need of more fundamentals and less textures/details.

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 5th, 2013 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 9/5/13 10:11 AM, Template88 wrote: much better than the first try, but in dire need of more fundamentals and less textures/details.

thanks for your opinion but i like it how it is . ive been working with art for over 30 years so i know one end of a pencil to the other by now this work is for show i dont really care what you people think of it as long as i like it.

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 02:46 PM Reply

little bro is back !

Darth Marius art book

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 04:09 PM Reply

At 9/7/13 02:46 PM, Darthmarius wrote: little bro is back !

That grip is extremely awkward

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Darth Marius art book Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 05:28 PM Reply

At 9/7/13 04:09 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 9/7/13 02:46 PM, Darthmarius wrote: little bro is back !
That grip is extremely awkward

well is a ruddy big bat !